CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

You'd probably recognise the teams under the former organisations:

Infused is ex-TCM - Chalkie, TuFoxy, Riotz, Ramirez (winners of Gamescom 2014 & most EU H2A events)

Barrage is ex-CAZ - Vard, Snakey, FlameZz, Godshot (Gamescom 2015 invitees, 2nd @ i55)

Vitality is ex-Exertus - Botinus, Renox, SindeR, Hitaborg (2nd @ i54, 3rd @ Gfinity)

Immunity - Benno, Hopey, BlaZe, Heff (9th @ MLG Dallas 2014 w/ ogre1)

It definitely seems the UK is a bit of a hot spot in terms of EU talent, outside of France & UK there seems to be little advertisement of tournaments for whatever reason, meaning that players from mainland Europe have to travel to compete in events which naturally is very expensive. There's probably plenty of talent waiting to be discovered in countries like Germany, Finalnd, Sweden etc. but we never really get the chance to see them.

Ah! Yeah, thanks, that definitely helps!

I feel like there are a ton of crazy talented EU Halo players from other countries (Looking at you, @@h0lmb0m !) that either don't have easy access to a local team or just aren't super competitively driven, and it really bums me out. I'm assuming it's just because the Xbox consoles themselves have limited popularity in those areas, and makes me wonder if it would be different if Halo was on PC, or had a multiplayer-only version of the game for significantly less $$$. 

Is anyone expecting HCS and the World Championship to attract new fanbases in these countries?

I hop mlg isn't a big thing for Halo again. The events run like trash and the spectating for streamers is hot garbage. I remember watching a Melee tournament and a series would take 30 minutes because of the ridiculous amount of ads they placed between matches. Most slow event I have ever seen.

Not to mention the huge amount of screw ups they have had. Once they lost VoD for Smash, once they had an 8 hour stop of an injustice tournament, once they didn't get a patch, once the casters literally had to get the webcam to show a match, etc.

Mlg is far too ridiculous with their esports antics and annoyance. Build up from the community rather than mlg who doesn't care for said community much.

They hosted more than a hundred halo tournaments with zero developer support. They gave out an obscene amount of money to Halo players. They've probably hosted over a thousand events in their existence. Sure there are going to be some hiccups but you show me a company that does everything right 100% of the time. If we want Halo to grow, we need MLG.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I see teams forming and the increase in the World Championship's prize pool, but when are they going to have any HCS events?

500k generated by REQ packs in 1 week is amazing for pro halo.  I personally expected much less.  

Pulling numbers purely out of thin air leads me to think that even if the game's popularity sinks as fast as H4, we could still see another million in prize money.

How much % y'all think MSFT/343 is putting back to HWS/HCS from those REQs?

With that amount of money I'd say 30% and they pocket the 70%.

How much % y'all think MSFT/343 is putting back to HWS/HCS from those REQs?

With that amount of money I'd say 30% and they pocket the 70%.

I think either mikwen or someone posted that most of the the req packs cash goes to future events. 

They hosted more than a hundred halo tournaments with zero developer support. They gave out an obscene amount of money to Halo players. They've probably hosted over a thousand events in their existence. Sure there are going to be some hiccups but you show me a company that does everything right 100% of the time. If we want Halo to grow, we need MLG.

This is part of the trap that killed halo in the first place. 

Saying this for the millionth time....Halo needs to stop focusing on being esports so much and focus on grassroots events like the fgc.

But a game that needs 8 players, xboxs, and monitors....thats kind of impossible. What a pickle 

• Upvote (+1) 3

i've thought a lot about this and there really aren't many ways this can work

he's also wrong in the respect that people would align themselves with teams simply because they are "located" close to them, this isn't the nfl/mlb/nhl/nba, video games transcend that because of the internet 

the only way i could ever see this working logistically is if there was a pro league and a draft, while a pro league would be amazing a draft would never work

frank is a good guy but he really has no idea what hes talking about when it comes to esports, and thats fine, he doesn't pretend to be an expert 

I don't know, I could see it working. Back in Halo 2 I became a fan of Carbon and Gandhi when I figured out Gandhi was from the same area as me. I could see people just getting into Halo being influenced the same way I was if a focus was put on geography.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

As far as grassroots goes. I know eSports Arena in SoCal is going to be hosting LAN leagues culminating in a $15k+ tournament. (Or at least they hope to culminate in a 15k)

• Upvote (+1) 1

$1.5M and C9 dips? Nah. Ola and co. have to be joining them

Nah, it's all but official that Ambush 2.0 will be with Envyus. 

But I agree, it's weird that C9 would pull out now. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

As in the team isn't going to play or the sponsorship bailed?

Don't feel like digging through this massive thread.

They've probably hosted over a thousand events in their existence.

Um. Not even close. You're off by an order of magnitude...

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Ogre1 is competing in Australia right?

If his team makes the HWC, we could see an Ogre1 team vs an Ogre2 team.

:goat: vs :goat:

5YEjUsI.gif

I'm sure we are all disappointed to see it's not an open tournament. It would easily sell out a 256 team bracket and have a ton of spectators! But on the bright side....Halo online feels better than it can on LAN, so essentially the entire world can participate no problem.

I see teams forming and the increase in the World Championship's prize pool, but when are they going to have any HCS events?

Che said the HWC finals are in March, so you'd think pretty soon.

Unless he meant March 2017...

According to Hysteria, C9 has said they are done with halo for now.

Coachmayne has a tweet with the picture of Hysteria saying that in chat, but i'm not going to post it because i'm pretty sure Coachmayne has an account here so he deserves the recognition/upvotes for his own tweet.

This is part of the trap that killed halo in the first place.

Saying this for the millionth time....Halo needs to stop focusing on being esports so much and focus on grassroots events like the fgc.

But a game that needs 8 players, xboxs, and monitors....thats kind of impossible. What a pickle

Grassroots like FGC? I can host a 64 player bracket and finish it in a couple hours with 8 set ups.

A Halo event has to be run by a company.

According to Hysteria, C9 has said they are done with halo for now.

Coachmayne has a tweet with the picture of Hysteria saying that in chat, but i'm not going to post it because Coachmayne has an account here so he deserves the recognition/upvotes for his own tweet.

I'm still confused. 

C9 as in all the players are not going to compete, or as in the organization C9 is no longer supporting a Halo team. 

(I've been up for 30 hours, my brain don't work too well at the moment).

I'm still confused. 

C9 as in all the players are not going to compete, or as in the organization C9 is no longer supporting a Halo team. 

(I've been up for 30 hours, my brain don't work too well at the moment).

Cloud 9 as in the organization, as of now they have left the halo scene. The players are sticking together and are trying to find another org.

I probably should have been more clear with my response, sorry.

Cloud 9 as in the organization, as of now they have left the halo scene. The players are sticking together and are trying to find another org.

I probably should have been more clear with my response, sorry.

No need to say sorry at all. 

I suppose it makes some sense, but not complete sense given the hype behind the tournament. 

Going by the numbers that H2A put up, I don't think many organizations are willing to wait it out to see if Halo becomes a big thing. 

Where did this nV confirmation happen?

C9 Halo aren't listed on the C9 site anymore and I believe Hysteria no longer uses the overlay.