CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

breakout might as well have its own tournaments because it's that much different from the slayer/ctf/ball/strong holds/extraction formula

the only way breakout can work is if it's full shields (VANILLA H5) and they add a much more compelling objective 

• Upvote (+1) 4

breakout might as well have its own tournaments because it's that much different from the slayer/ctf/ball/strong holds/extraction formula

the only way breakout can work is if it's full shields (VANILLA H5) and they add a much more compelling objective 

I personally think that full shields would not work in this gametype. If a person goes down, there is very little chance that the team down a man will have a chance at winning. Wouldn't be very fun to watch or play imo

It would be interesting to see it play out with like 125% shields no shield regen or normal shields and very delayed shield regen and having low health doesn't constantly make a sound lol. I also think a 2-bomb gametype with 2-3 possible plant spots could be decent or a 1-bomb gametype where it alternates attacking team every round. Its not a bad gametype as is, but I think it can be better.

BUT we also might just need to play more than a week and develop strats more for the current version of the game before we try to change everything, its only been out a week

• Upvote (+1) 1

Breakout is just a very poor mans CS, and I don't understand why people feel the need to rationalize every bad decision 343 is making in this game.

Maybe they just, idk, actually disagree with you. Tbh I'm not really a fan of Breakout either, at least right now, but chill out a bit dude.

Discussions like this really bring out the pomposity in people, which wasn't hard when it comes to competitive Halo in the first place.

I think we need to let it play out at a high level rather than dismiss it after a week. I think it needs some changes, but I like the premise and some of those IG matches were fun to watch.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I was totally against Ricochet in HCS, but Breakout I'm cool with. Idk. It's different for sure but not in the same way Ricochet was different. Ricochet was just a different game altogether while Breakout is just lower shields. The goal of Breakout is still the same as the goal of regular slayer in Halo. Kill the enemies. It's really not all that different and it still rewards the same skills: aim, teamwork, awareness, etc. But that's just me, I have a lot of fun playing and watching it personally.

If it was full on SWAT, I would be against it. Since SWAT is basically all about reflexes and who sees who first. In Breakout, I've had plenty of times where I've gotten shot first and then turned around and killed the enemy. Strafing and aiming is still important in Breakout.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Maybe they just, idk, actually disagree with you. Tbh I'm not really a fan of Breakout either, at least right now, but chill out a bit dude.

Discussions like this really bring out the pomposity in people, which wasn't hard when it comes to competitive Halo in the first place.

I'm just not buying into this whole new "innocent until exhaustively proven guilty in every single facet" mentality. How is that pomposity? I thought after almost a decade and a half of halo people would be able to understand what works and what doesn't.

Do you really think one hit melees and grenades pass that test? And that's not even getting into all the other stuff that is wrong with the gametype. You can disagree with that for all I care, but not all arguments are created equal.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 3

I played Mirx and Parasite yesterday and they were low champs and my friends and i beat them. They set up stupidly well and position amazingly but they couldnt finish kills. lol

• Downvote (-1) 1

Breakout shields are fine, if it was normal shields no one would be able to pull off the 3v1. Its an awesome feeling beating 3 people when you are last alive.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I didn't watch the IG event, but was the travesty known as Empire Strongholds played at all? If so, I'm gonna need to find that VoD so I can avoid pulling my hair out over the gametype when it shows up in the playlist.

The changes that breakout makes to the normal settings make the game worse (except for radar, but that's another can of worms). Every single positive you bring up for breakout default does better.

In fact, the whole point of halo in the first place was that you can turn around on a guy shooting you and win, something that breakout tries its hardest to make impossible.

Why don't you tell me what breakout does better than default.

Breakout is just a very poor mans CS, and I don't understand why people feel the need to rationalize every bad decision 343 is making in this game.

It's so much easier to turn around and kill the guy shooting you in breakout.  1 v 3s wins are attainable.  But 1 v 3 in regular modes isn't quite as easy.  So I disagree there. 

I never said breakout does anything better than default i.e slayer, but it does what it does great and changing it to full shields or whatever would make it uninteresting to watch.  It requires players to think about placing and awareness.  No getting shot three times and thrusting away.  If you put your self in a bad position, you will pay.  Like someone else said, it does great halo things: requires positions, teamwork, and shot skill to win.  It's an amazing gametype, I think like Ace suggested doing one flag but either base delivery could help stop ties, but I'm not sure on that.

It's so much easier to turn around and kill the guy shooting you in breakout.  1 v 3s wins are attainable.  But 1 v 3 in regular modes isn't quite as easy.  So I disagree there. 

I never said breakout does anything better than default i.e slayer, but it does what it does great and changing it to full shields or whatever would make it uninteresting to watch.  It requires players to think about placing and awareness.  No getting shot three times and thrusting away.  If you put your self in a bad position, you will pay.  Like someone else said, it does great halo things: requires positions, teamwork, and shot skill to win.  It's an amazing gametype, I think like Ace suggested doing one flag but either base delivery could help stop ties, but I'm not sure on that.

It's not easier to turn on someone in breakout because by the time you turn against a good opponent you'll be dead.

Just because you give people near instant kill times doesn't somehow make positioning require more skill.

Sure, it might be more important, but that is at the cost of the freedom of being able to out-maneuver your opponent.

I do agree that just giving people standard shields would not fix things and probably make things worse, but right now It just feels like a half-baked swat-default hybrid to me.

The way objective is implemented is lackluster too, and the fact you have to bring a flag in to your enemies base is as not intuitive and emobodifies the half-baked nature of the game-type quite well.

Maybe through some wild tweaking you could make it a decent gametype, but why go through all that trouble when we don't even have Halo staples like oddball or assault right now?

If we aren't getting those for a while I could maybe see breakout staying on the circuit for a bit longer, but the fact it is so different from all the other gametypes just makes me feel like they used it as a filler instead of thinking it through.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's not easier to turn on someone in breakout because by the time you turn against a good opponent you'll be dead.

Just because you give people near instant kill times doesn't somehow make positioning require more skill.

Sure, it might be more important, but that is at the cost of the freedom of being able to out-maneuver your opponent.

I do agree that just giving people standard shields would not fix things and probably make things worse, but right now It just feels like a half-baked swat-default hybrid to me.

The way objective is implemented is lackluster too, and the fact you have to bring a flag in to your enemies base is as not intuitive and emobodifies the half-baked nature of the game-type quite well.

Maybe through some wild tweaking you could make it a decent gametype, but why go through all that trouble when we don't even have Halo staples like oddball or assault right now?

If we aren't getting those for a while I could maybe see breakout staying on the circuit for a bit longer, but the fact it is so different from all the other gametypes just makes me feel like they used it as a filler instead of thinking it through.

You first sentence doesn't make sense, if you can't turn on a good opponent here, you can't turn on a good opponent in regular slayer either.

They aren't near instant kill times, if you miss headshots, it actually can take a decent amount of time, I've missed plenty of headshots and so has the opponent.

It's nothing like swat.

The objective could need work, and spartan charge is OP in all game modes, but that's all I see.

I think breakout is an awesome exciting game and it should be here to stay, but that is my opinion.  Assault should come back, I'm unsure on Oddball and Koth though, I don't know how well they'd work in H5.

Good news

Indeed! I saw a couple videos of fights breaking out at Daytona, including one kid getting K.O'd. Anybody have the stories on any event drama?

Going to be posting much more frequently. Loving Halo 5, including Breakout.

While we're proposing changes, what about X lives per team, say...15, but anybody can use those lives. I.E, I can die all 15 times if my team never dies...

Round ends after the team runs out of lives. Allows the hyper carry players to go OFF, but at the same time, adds the SnD factor of facing elimination.

Thoughts?

I'm still not on board with breakout. It's like taking a small portion of competitive COD and shoehorning it into Halo.

An average round is too chaotic in comparison to the rest of the gametypes. At least at the moment. Maybe it will progress as people start valuing their life more but there's a good chance when that happens it'll lead to a lot of standoffs.

They had the right idea including an objective but it needs to be attack/defend in my opinion. Its the reason SnD and CS work. As the attacking side you need to focus on the objective or you lose the round.

Either way I still think having different health models in a single series is weird.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think breakout would be a lot more competitive on asymmetric maps. Symmetric maps are always going to be boring and repetitive, need to get Forge on the go and make some decent Breakout maps ourselves, but obviously that is out of the question until December :(

So high level halo with radar has a lot of crouch walking....how does everybody feel about radar at this point?

• Upvote (+1) 3

That tweet was because we had leverage and knew they would take it out of the rotation.

This whole thing is meh.

Sammy has always been an interesting human, he just never had any public eye outside twitter. I love the kid, but he's definitely an acquired taste.

As for everything else, isn't it apparent the tournament was kind of a joke tournament?

The team that won team name was Team Daytona lmfao

and there were what, 3 actual "pros" there?

I don't think it was a joke tournament at all. Other than Fatal Ambition throwing Breakout every series was fun to watch. So many game 5s.The top 8 teams all could have beaten each other because the game is so new. Sure there was not that many pros there but it was still good Halo to watch. Shit we took Daytona to game 5 in Loser's and I bet if we knocked them out that early (7th/8th) everyone would be going crazy about it. They just caught fire in Loser's and ended up winning it was not like they were stomping everyone lol.

Also, Sammy is hilarious.

So high level halo with radar has a lot of crouch walking....how does everybody feel about radar at this point?

i wouldn't mind seeing how it plays without radar tbh, the radar is kind of frustrating if anything.  like it barely does anything cuz of how bad the range is, yet it does enough that it impacts you're movement.