CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

From what I could tell all weekend, Breakout seemed to be fine at the competitive level at IG.

Other than the Grand Finals, it seemed to work.

I do think it needs a little bit of tweaking, which is what we should be focused on since you know, the game hasn't even been out a week guys.

Of course not everything is perfect. We improve these things, not just 'I don't like it, remove it'.

As for what needs to be tweaked, I think it should be regular shields. Having to switch between regular shields and Breakout health system between games is not an easy transition.

Have you ever played some Team Slayer then switched to the SWAT playlist for a game (or vice versa)? It takes time to adjust.

But having regular shields throughout the series I feel would resolve that issue.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Would Breakout function with regular health/shields? I'm sure this has been asked already.

Then it may as well be called Neutral Flag with no respawn. It still in my opinion is not a good game type and is far removed from what Halo is/has ever been.

I should point out that I do however like that game as a whole.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Would Breakout function with regular health/shields? I'm sure this has been asked already.

I have a feeling that the second it became a 3v4 game, the team with the advantage would win like 95% of the time at high levels cause they would push without having to worry about dieing easily which wouldn't really be fun to watch imo. Would be interesting to see it tested though

• Upvote (+1) 2

I have a feeling that the second it became a 3v4 game, the team with the advantage would win like 95% of the time at high levels cause they would push without having to worry about dieing easily which wouldn't really be fun to watch imo. Would be interesting to see it tested though

It would also in general be so much slower. Players would run/thrust away with much more success. Rounds would end in ties all the time. It would be horrible.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It feels like people are expecting the Flag to be the focus of breakout...

It was added to provide a method of breaking up stalemate/campouts by forcing a player to act (moving to defend their base from flag run). Personally, I only make a move for the flag if my team has at least a man advantage and the enemies don't appear to be moving. Or, if it's 1v1, and I know the enemy pushed deep to my base.

In Breakout's current iteration, it's not meant to see games end with flag caps a majority of the time. 5-10% of rounds ending via flag is probably reasonable given the format, but I keep seeing people saying that stat like it's a sign the mode is broken.

• Upvote (+1) 2

There are already time limits in Breakout. If a team has a man advantage, they win the round (instead of it being a tie). This way you can add shields and prevent long stalemates. The team down a man would eventually have to push out to prevent themselves from losing. The gametype isn't awful as a concept it just needs tweaking because it is very different from everything else.

Then it may as well be called Neutral Flag with no respawn. It still in my opinion is not a good game type and is far removed from what Halo is/has ever been.

I should point out that I do however like that game as a whole.

Yeah good point. The skills it tries to promote are different than the rest of the game, which is the whole point of having different gametypes.

i really didn't think there would be this much uproar against breakout in team arena. For those of you who said it is skill-less, you obviously haven't played halo before. It's just as competitive as any other game type, but it's just a different style. I agree it could use some adjustments but really to take it out of competitive play would just make the game worse. Breakout probably draws so many people to the game. Fatal ambition are a bunch of plugs. There are likely top pros that actually do like breakout. It just takes getting used to. It's literally the same as snd in cod and that csgo game type.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It would also in general be so much slower. Players would run/thrust away with much more success. Rounds would end in ties all the time. It would be horrible.

But with shields people feel safer to push instead of hiding. I don't think it would end in ties any more than it's current form.

It's literally the same as snd in cod and that csgo game type.

Except squad shooters are built entirely around gameplay not involving shields and ease of mobility. SnD is not a deviation from the normal gameplay of those games.

Add recharging shields and no bloom to CSGO and tell me how that works out.

To add to my earlier point I also think it's a very bad idea to have a competitive setting where base player traits differ in gametypes.

Keep it simple mayne!

I do like Breakout, but I wish there was a way to incentivize the flag a bit more. At this point the flag is being used to bait the last member from hiding in a 1v1 or 2v1 situation. I think it would be cool to reward a team that was more objective oriented, versus one that purely went for the kills. At the gametypes current state, it seems rather 1-dimensional and in the long term pretty stale. I feel like the SnD gametype style works so well in CSGO, is because of the depth that the economy system applies, and right now halo just feels like a dumbed down version of it.

I'm not sure if this has been proposed, but I think it would be cool if you got more points for winning a round via a flag cap. That way when one team is ahead by 3 rounds to 0, the opposing team could go for the flag caps to even the round scores quicker. 

I also think it would be cool if they could add non-lethal nades or explosive barrels to the maps to add more depth to pushing. I know this is Halo and we normally don't have stuns/smoke, but I think the games that employ the SnD game modes (COD and CSGO) definitely benefit from those varied types of nades. And if we don't get the nades added, having smoke explosive barrels to certain areas of the map, teams could fake run flags to certain sides by shooting the barrels from afar, or they could use them as cover when they are outnumbered by the enemy team.

I think these are 2 avenues 343 could use to add a lot of depth to Breakout gametype. I think the gametype is great, but I do feel it just feels like a stripped down version of a gamemode other titles do a lot better. I'm not saying we should necessarily just straight copy them, but use the features they have to introduce elements to fit our Halo universe. 

i really didn't think there would be this much uproar against breakout in team arena. For those of you who said it is skill-less, you obviously haven't played halo before. It's just as competitive as any other game type, but it's just a different style. I agree it could use some adjustments but really to take it out of competitive play would just make the game worse. Breakout probably draws so many people to the game. Fatal ambition are a bunch of plugs. There are likely top pros that actually do like breakout. It just takes getting used to. It's literally the same as snd in cod and that csgo game type.

Have you heard any of the pro's opinions on breakout? I am genuinely curious as to what they think of it. While both Mikwen and Lethul have posted about this debacle, they didn't really say whether they wanted the game type removed (unless I missed it. I skim pretty quickly sometimes). I also haven't had time to watch streams lately. Can anyone compile a for/against list of pros wanting breakout?

• Downvote (-1) 1

Have you heard any of the pro's opinions on breakout? I am genuinely curious as to what they think of it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I disagree with the nade and melee arguments, I understand it's different than the core gameplay which is slayer. This is not slayer, but the one hit melee forces you to be aware of your surroundings. No getting flanked, if someone is rushing to melee you, you have to pay attention and shoot them before they find cover.

There's no such thing as a lucky grenade, that's bad positioning and awareness.

Most matches I play in are extremely fun and exciting. You know (unless you have horrible teammates) that you have a chance to outshoot the other player, that's awesome. The horrible teammates part is a problem in every game type, it's not unique to breakout.

I do agree that Spartan charge is a problem because of the range, but I think it's bad in the entire game. It's the only Spartan ability that I think ruins the game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Turn the flag into a bomb. Let one side start with the bomb. Alternate after each round. Call it H5:GO.

This would also prevent hiding if a bomb plant is required

Hooray! People are actually discussing breakout now! Pxthology has the best idea IMO. Try to rework the objective to make it more prominent and we good! Also I do agree we need consistent settings. I am a fan of Pistol+ AR with no radar.

My first popular post.

People like me,  they really like me!

I'd like to thank....

...okay, I ruined it.

RUINED

FeelsBobMan

I think even having them play Breakout on an asymmetrical map and have them alternate sides each round would add a lot to it. Doesn't really need an objective change, just something to force different strategies each round. 

I love the idea of Breakout. It needs to be tweaked a bit as far as damage points go but the outline of it is fun and suspenseful. It makes a great spectator game type in my opinion.

Halo needs something different like this. We just have to be open to change. We have a bad habit of loving tradition and avoiding change. I'm guilty of it as well. When I get frustrated I bitch about the new stuff and wish for Halo 2 and 3 back. Let's be open minded guys!

• Upvote (+1) 2

I disagree with the nade and melee arguments, I understand it's different than the core gameplay which is slayer. This is not slayer, but the one hit melee forces you to be aware of your surroundings. No getting flanked, if someone is rushing to melee you, you have to pay attention and shoot them before they find cover.

There's no such thing as a lucky grenade, that's bad positioning and awareness.

Most matches I play in are extremely fun and exciting. You know (unless you have horrible teammates) that you have a chance to outshoot the other player, that's awesome. The horrible teammates part is a problem in every game type, it's not unique to breakout.

I do agree that Spartan charge is a problem because of the range, but I think it's bad in the entire game. It's the only Spartan ability that I think ruins the game.

The changes that breakout makes to the normal settings make the game worse (except for radar, but that's another can of worms). Every single positive you bring up for breakout default does better.

In fact, the whole point of halo in the first place was that you can turn around on a guy shooting you and win, something that breakout tries its hardest to make impossible.

Why don't you tell me what breakout does better than default.

Breakout is just a very poor mans CS, and I don't understand why people feel the need to rationalize every bad decision 343 is making in this game.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I know not everyone is fan of breakout, but plays like these are sick to watch. My buddy dan went off on this one. Just imagine when a play like this happens on the mainstage:)

• Upvote (+1) 6