CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Why do people keep bringing up that MLG collusion story? I'm not understanding the connection. No one was colluding here, they just didn't want to play Breakout. It was definitely a stupid thing to do, and all they ended up doing is making the community as a whole look bad. But that gametype is that bad... it really is....

It's not though. In terms of H2A ricochets, it's 1/1000 of an H2A ricochet.

It's not though. In terms of H2A ricochets, it's 1/1000 of an H2A ricochet.

Thing is, Ricochet could be made super fun. Breakout right now needs a makeover. Mode is ass.

• Upvote (+1) 3

There has got to be a way to keep the one life premise of breakout, but have full shields and normal damage. Honestly an extraction objective on each map would be ideal. Make it first to 5 by either arming the objective and holding it for 30 seconds, disarming the objective, or wiping the opposing team. It would basically be SnD but I don't see how that's a bad thing.

It's dependent on the map design. These linear paintball maps with minimal cover would never work with full shields. What it needs is segmented maze-like maps with multiple routes to each part (see: Turf) in order to discourage team shot, and encourage individual plays.

No one is explaining/ gave a legitimate reason why Breakout is bad besides Frosty. If you don't like it explain. Talk about how you think it should be changed. I liked Riccochet, in H4 the maps did not suit it at all. Custom maps would have to be made specifically for it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why do people keep bringing up that MLG collusion story? I'm not understanding the connection. No one was colluding here, they just didn't want to play Breakout. It was definitely a stupid thing to do, and all they ended up doing is making the community as a whole look bad. But that gametype is that bad... it really is....

Because in both cases, the players were disrespecting the integrity of competition.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Breakout >>>>>>> H2A Ricochet

My 1/1000 post was in reference to breakout being 1/1000 of how horrible H2A ricochet was... In case that wasn't clear.

Edit: I feel it's really not clear, even trying to explain it. Facepalm.

• Upvote (+1) 2

No one is explaining/ gave a legitimate reason why Breakout is bad besides Frosty. If you don't like it explain. Talk about how you think it should be changed. I liked Riccochet, in H4 the maps did not suit it at all. Custom maps would have to be made specifically for it.

Out of the 20 or so games i've played, the objective has been entirely ignored. There were too many melee trades to count. The Hydra is a joke, with its slow projectile rounds compared to the precision weapons, and grenades are too strong for the playlist. Those are my main gripes.

I'd remove nades, or use default damage percentages.

I don't think melees should be 1 hit KOs.

Someone else mentioned using an extraction objective, and I prefer that over the flag.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The biggest thing IMO is Breakout is less about out-shooting your opponent and more about who sees who first due to the faster TTK's. While it may be competitive in its own right (I'll admit I play plenty Breakout), it's too different from the base gameplay to even be considered. I'd be surprised if Breakout lasts more than one HCS event. Also, way too many grenades, and one-hit kill melees are cheesy.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Yeah I think the biggest issue right now is that the gametype feels like a departure from the other gametypes. The shields are different, damage is different, etc. If there was a good way to retain the normal traits of a Halo match, while keeping the basis of breakout, we would be Gucci. Unfortunately with so much cover, its going to be very difficult to do that because players will be able to get away too easily. I do think having a static objective like an extraction point would force teams to make plays though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I do like breakout. I don't see why people would dislike it.

If you don't like Breakout explain why. Also I would like to see how you would change it. Since TBH I don't see 343 taking it out. Unless like all the top pros speak out.

Also please don't give me 'ITS NOT HALO" bullshit. Actually explain. Thanks

These are just my personal reasons why I dont like breakout in general:

1. Defensive play. The gametype provides defensive play on many levels. Someone said the low health system is good so people dont rush. But that is just boring to play and watch. Strongholds for example forces you to push and go hard for the whole match. I had some extremly sweaty games so far and sometimes even needed to take a short brake after a game because it was so intense against good people. But in Breakout you get punished for running from Block A to Block B because you get killed so fast (BR /DMR). You have to bring the flag into the enemy base. So I can just sit back and wait for them to come. I think the gametype would at least work better if you have to bring the Objective in your own base, so there is a fight for it.

2. Luck. Especially in the openings. I won many rounds because my teamates throw a lucky nade and the enemies were down one or two players already and had to do something. I mean lucky nades, rockets or whatever happen in every gametype. But in Breakout they can very easy just make you win the round/game. Also, like said before, its often about who sees who first and guessing the right spot at the right time.

3. Consistent settings. We have to deal with ARs and Radar in competitive now so we are as close as possible to vanilla settings right? But then 343 adds Breakout that has no shields, no radar, a different starting weapon (SMG) and I am not sure but I feel like the hit markers are different as well somehow? Anyway, combined with only one life and rounds its just very different compared to Slayer, CTF, SH.

4. One hit meele. CQC is where our skillful to use pistol is the hardest to use. But often times I tried to outpistol someone just to see him spartan charge at me and killing me with one hit. Not a fan of this. Of course I should use SMG in CQC and try to meele as well, but I dont want to be punished in general for using the pistol.

5. Rounds. Hey, I am just not a fan of the action getting interrupted all the time because a new round starts. I want the game to go on and have something happening as much as possible. Not watching my spartan lifting into this arena all the time.

6. Playing >>>>> Spectating. I am here to play and show my skills. I dont want to watch other players just because I died because of whatever reason. Playing this gametype with randoms is literally making people insane. I am now forced to watch the stupidy of some randoms. Sitting there, watching a random temmate camp for 45 seconds in a 1v3 just to see him getting killed anyway. Not fun.

7. Comebacks. At this point I want to give Breakout a bit of credit for the Clutch/Comeback factor. I was winning 1v3s and we managed to win a series being down 3 rounds right before elimination.

What also annoys me is that I am forced to play Breakout if I want to play CTF and SH. It has its own playlist. 343I said Snipers and Doubles have to "prove themself" in terms of population even when they did for years. I cant see where Breakout has proven itself.

Again, just my opinions.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I haven't even played any MM since launch out of fear of getting Breakout...

The fuck?

lol bet they didn't expect this reaction

• Upvote (+1) 1

Now some of you youngsters know what it was like to download a song off Napster in 1999. 

I have no clue what you mean by this, but I fucks with it. I literally believe this is Dane Cook, because what you said is just as funny as his stand up routines. (Mildly) 

• Upvote (+1) 1

There's a precedent from MLG Raleigh 2012: Curse and Dignitas faced off in the Grand Finals. Because it was the last match before the NA Regional Finals (which would determine who goes to Worlds), neither team wanted to show their team compositions they were practicing, so they met at Jimmy John's before the match and agreed to play out the finals as All Random champions, All Mid lane. Of course, after game 1 there was a huge backlash and they were told to play out the series regularly.

You see you just don't get that kind of entertainment in other sports.

Breakout >>>>>>> H2A Ricochet

That is not saying much since Ricochet is utterly terrible as is.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Breakout needs adjusting. I think it can be a good mode with the right amendments.

I know alot of people hate the search and destroy comparisons but it has alot of similarities to it.

The first big issue for me is the one grenade and one melee kill. It needs to be changed. The one hit beat downs are promoting people to just sprint in and beat down. Why shoot when you can shoulder charge? It needs to be two hit beat down.

Coming from a Search and destroy backround and a GB one. I was one of the "nerds" who learned all my stun and nade throws. There is a eliminate of skill involved. Alot of them arent easy throws and have to be precise. You can benefit from kills or just stunning choke points. This is used alot in Counter Strike aswel. But the thing is, we arent CS of CoD, we're Halo players and we have a shield. It was always two nade kill.

• So this means two team mates will have to throw the nade to get a kill, or if one person throws it he will get the guy weak and get a hit marker so he knows if someone went there or not. This makes more sense then a one nade kill imo.

Also the maps aren't designed for nade throwing. They are to flat. Its more luck then anything. Which leads me onto my next point. Map design. My big problem in the beta was the flat design, it was promoting a sit back and survive attitude. We thought the introduction of a objective would help, it has a little but not really. Im a diamond 2 in breakout and have played it a decent amount. Hardly anyone ever ones to risk picking up the flag. The new maps which were released in the full game are better, the introduced some  verticality.

I think Asym maps work better for a 1 life, attackers and defenders game mode. But of course we have sym maps and no attackers or defenders.

To combat this issue I think the we should have a forced objective. Like SnD and CSGO do. You have attackers and defenders and you are forced to make a move or you will lose. There should be no ties.

If breakout was on say, Plaza. Attackers spawn Blue , Flag spawns near yellow (garden area) and the defenders spawn near sniper. The flag capture point was down low on the road somewhere maybe. You will be forcing the attackers to make a move, you will be forcing action and any attackers who sit back and dont do the Obj and work as a team will lose the game and will as a result lose ranks.

Better yet I like how CS do it. Spawn with the objective (bomb) and have two points of attack. Defenders dont know which bomb you will go so are forced to defend both. The problem with this is, its a huge change from what breakout is. 

The big thing is forcing obj on people and not having a flag in the middle in case you sometimes, maybe, might want to pick it up.

• Upvote (+1) 3

To combat this issue I think the we should have a forced objective. Like SnD and CSGO do. You have attackers and defenders and you are forced to make a move or you will lose. There should be no ties.

I think just this alone could make Breakout two to three times better. I'd love to see the amount of rounds actually ended by a flag cap, because I feel like the data would show there's just not enough reward to go with the risk of flag running.

That tweet was because we had leverage and knew they would take it out of the rotation.

This whole thing is meh.

Sammy has always been an interesting human, he just never had any public eye outside twitter. I love the kid, but he's definitely an acquired taste.

As for everything else, isn't it apparent the tournament was kind of a joke tournament?

The team that won team name was Team Daytona lmfao

and there were what, 3 actual "pros" there?

Doesn't matter if there was 3 pros there or 30.  FA made competitive Halo a joke that last match.

When you get Frankie to tweet about eSports, you know somehtings wrong.

I love Breakout, I think its fun to have different strategies and paths for different maps. If people catch on to your path then switching it up to your backup. I've learned some nade placements for common paths that the enemies take so I can try and get that quick pick off. How good does it feel to pull of that clutch triple as the last man standing? I dont like the one hit beat down, the hydra is pointless and it hurts my eyes when I see someone trying to use it long range and the shotgun is way over powered on that one map.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think just this alone could make Breakout two to three times better. I'd love to see the amount of rounds actually ended by a flag cap, because I feel like the data would show there's just not enough reward to go with the risk of flag running.

It seems like the only reason the flag is there is to prevent the last dude hiding until a round end. It sort of is aimed at preventing ties in that sense, because if someone's hiding then you just run flag. That doesn't work so well when it's 1v1, but it's still something.

I probably would prefer to see it as a one sided objective where either the defenders win by default rather than ending with a tie, and teams switch sides every round.

I do like breakout. I don't see why people would dislike it.

If you don't like Breakout explain why. Also I would like to see how you would change it. Since TBH I don't see 343 taking it out. Unless like all the top pros speak out.

Also please don't give me 'ITS NOT HALO" bullshit. Actually explain. Thanks

Because the skillset required to be good at breakout is completely different from the skillset required to be good at normal Halo, and I would argue it's a lot cheaper and based far more on twitch-aim and luck.

Anyway, I'm just now getting up to speed on this debacle and I could not be more tickled. Call it unprofessional all you want, it still sends a very strong message that there are a lot of people out there who don't want breakout mixed into the normal tournament circuit.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 3