CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Can someone explain to me exactly what happened?

Fatal Ambition is down 3-0 in Breakout during the finals of the Iron Gaming tournament, in round 4 they kill themselves/betray each other instead of playing out the round while laughing and shouting about how much they hate the gametype during a listen in. The fifth round they technically played, but whether they were actually trying or not I'm not sure (probably not). Elitest Fours (Sammy) then proceeded to tweet about how terrible the gametype is and how he'd rather contract AIDS.

Fatal Ambition is down 3-0 in Breakout during the finals of the Iron Gaming tournament, in round 4 they kill themselves/betray each other instead of playing out the round while laughing and shouting about how much they hate the gametype during a listen in. The fifth round they technically played, but whether they were actually trying or not I'm not sure (probably not). Elitest Fours (Sammy) then proceeded to tweet about how terrible the gametype is and how he'd rather contract AIDS.

Lmfao thanks 

I know that it's terrible and unprofessional etc. But as someone who despises breakout, I did laugh pretty good when I saw it live.

Having the top 8 teams, which basically represent the competitive community to 343, trying to prevent the addition of a universally disliked and bad gametype is the same as what they did then we live in different universes. 

Really hope you guys stick to this. Breakout is just not Halo in any way. Have a breakout only tournament or something if you really want to showcase it that much 343. But combining the two just doesnt make sense. The two gametypes are just too different.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Having the top 8 teams, which basically represent the competitive community to 343, trying to prevent the addition of a universally disliked and bad gametype is the same as what they did then we live in different universes. 

When I first posted that, I didn't realize they may have done it to necessarily give up, but more as a statement of "I don't want to play this". My impression of Fatal Ambition was they didn't care if they won or not, they just wanted to have fun. I'm assuming one of the reasons you didn't want to play Ricochet was because it wasn't fun, and I would argue that you guys not playing Ricochet against other top teams is damaging the tournament integrity as well even if the gametype sucked since other players had to play it So I decided to ask people's opinions on the two situations. If this happened first round of the tournament, I don't think people would care, but sadly the people who did it were some of the best people at the tournament. That's where my last point came in that it's a bad situation, but I don't expect it to happen again in the future once teams like yours are hogging mainstage.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it was right for them to purposely lose, and I appreciate that you and the other top players too a stand against Ricochet. I didn't like Ricochet either. I just don't think the situation was such a big deal to have such a massive response when this happened at a small tournament with not much top talent there.

Really hope you guys stick to this. Breakout is just not Halo in any way. Have a breakout only tournament or something if you really want to showcase it that much 343. But combining the two just doesnt make sense. The two gametypes are just too different.

Hate to burst your bubble, but as of right now there's no top team protest against Breakout. Lethul was referencing them being against Ricochet.

I don't think they honestly think what will happen to them in the future. The fact they were representing an org and they pull this stunt is sad. It makes Fatal Ambition look like a joke IMO. If I was representing an org and had to play a game type that I hated I would play it out.

Was the team suiciding during the final game of the finals? IIRC it was like the last game and if they lost the other team would reset the bracket. Then they played the rest of the series out. I was too busy multitasking and trying to control the chat so correct me if I am wrong.

I can see giving up two rounds to move onto the next game type and not let the game type effect their mental fatigue or whatever. Then straight up bashing the game type isn't cool IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think they honestly think what will happen to them in the future. The fact they were representing an org and they pull this stunt is sad. It makes Fatal Ambition look like a joke IMO. If I was representing an org and had to play a game type that I hated I would play it out.

Aries said he was going to be an free agent after this event. God knows who will pick him up with this kind of attitude. 

Was the team suiciding during the final game of the finals? IIRC it was like the last game and if they lost the other team would reset the bracket. Then they played the rest of the series out. I was too busy multitasking and trying to control the chat so correct me if I am wrong.

I can see giving up two rounds to move onto the next game type and not let the game type effect their mental fatigue or whatever. Then straight up bashing the gametype isn't cool IMO.

Aries wasn't on Fatal Ambition. Fatal Ambition was Elitest, Blaze, Burton, and someone else.

I think they lost the last game to reset the bracket, then the first game of the new series was Breakout and that was the one they suicided on, I may be wrong.

Aries wasn't on Fatal Ambition. Fatal Ambition was Elitest, Blaze, Burton, and someone else.

I think they lost the last game to reset the bracket, then the first game of the new series was Breakout and that was the one they suicided on, I may be wrong.

Shit! My B :P Edited out

Elitest, Blaze, Burton and Calm. Not a bad roster by any means. Blaze and Calm are former pro players.

It seemed to me like they were trying, then they started getting wrecked in breakout. All of a sudden Elitest starts yelling at APGs team about how they are good at paintball and they all start laughing about the gametype and how terrible it is. They lose game 4 of the first Bo5 so they move on to a second series, and game 1 is breakout. Instead of even trying they continue the laughing and go down 3 rounds to 1. On round 5 they all suicide on spawn, and on round 6 they get wipef out. Then Elitest immediately jumps on twitter with a smirk on his face and posts the tweet.

Walshy seemed pretty turned off by the whole ordeal, Valen didn't even know what to say. It was pretty lame and shocking, not something I would ever expect to see in a grand Finals of any tournament.

• Upvote (+1) 4

There has got to be a way to keep the one life premise of breakout, but have full shields and normal damage. Honestly an extraction objective on each map would be ideal. Make it first to 5 by either arming the objective and holding it for 30 seconds, disarming the objective, or wiping the opposing team. It would basically be SnD but I don't see how that's a bad thing.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I hate to break it to you but that Lethul tweet was in reference to Richochet back in H2A, not Breakout.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I do like breakout. I don't see why people would dislike it.

If you don't like Breakout explain why. Also I would like to see how you would change it. Since TBH I don't see 343 taking it out. Unless like all the top pros speak out.

Also please don't give me 'ITS NOT HALO" bullshit. Actually explain. Thanks

• Upvote (+1) 6

I do like breakout. I don't see why people would dislike it. If anyone would care to explain from their perspective that would be great. Also please don't give me 'ITS NOT HALO" bullshit. Actually explain. Thanks

I just dont like the whole 1 hit melee and 1 nade and ur donezo

LOL

To those saying "I'd never expect to see something like this in a grand finals"

There's a precedent from MLG Raleigh 2012: Curse and Dignitas faced off in the Grand Finals.  Because it was the last match before the NA Regional Finals (which would determine who goes to Worlds), neither team wanted to show their team compositions they were practicing, so they met at Jimmy John's before the match and agreed to play out the finals as All Random champions, All Mid lane.  Of course, after game 1 there was a huge backlash and they were told to play out the series regularly.

Then MLG verified they colluded and gave the prize money to the 3rd/4th place teams instead.

I think breakout could be one of the most exciting game types halo has ever had. Coming back down 2 to 1 or even 3 to 1 to win 5 to 4 in the finals of a tournament gets my heart beating. It's much better than the 39-36 slayer games on the rig today. I'm unsure about it being a game 11 or whatever, but if it was, whoa.

Side note: Rig is horrible for slayer, Fathom needs slayer.

I think I like the health the way it is too, it makes it so you have to be extra careful, no rushing. It's one of the aspects that makes it exciting.

I'd hate to see them remove it, it's more exciting than both hill and ball, but I think would like to see ball come back (don't know how it would play in H5), hill no need, strongholds is better to watch than that.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I do like breakout. I don't see why people would dislike it. If anyone would care to explain from their perspective that would be great. Also please don't give me 'ITS NOT HALO" bullshit. Actually explain. Thanks

The only reason breakout is in the settings is because 343 is trying to force it on us. How many people were calling for breakout to be added to the competitive settings after the beta?

The gametype isn't particularly good on its own either, and considering how the gametype selection in Halo has always been rather limited, it is taking valuable space over gametypes that could be better.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The only reason breakout is in the settings is because 343 is trying to force it on us. How many people were calling for breakout to be added to the competitive settings after the beta?

The gametype isn't particularly good on its own either, and considering how the gametype selection in Halo has always been rather limited, it is taking valuable space over gametypes that could be better.

Not sure if that answered the question.

Also, what game types do you suggest? I personally think breakout is an awesome addition to competitions (reasons outlined above). It's surely new and different. What's it standing in the way of?

I don't get it. Did they have a choice not to play Breakout at the tournament and did it anyway?

nah Frankie was just uninformed about how tournaments work or he didn't understand what the situation was

I don't get it. Did they have a choice not to play Breakout at the tournament and did it anyway?

maybe frank didn't know elitist was playing in a tournament and thought he was playing online?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

maybe frank didn't know elitist was playing in a tournament and thought he was playing online?

The "publicly suicides" part says otherwise, I think he had a general idea, but not the whole story.

Why do people keep bringing up that MLG collusion story? I'm not understanding the connection. No one was colluding here, they just didn't want to play Breakout. It was definitely a stupid thing to do, and all they ended up doing is making the community as a whole look bad. But that gametype is that bad... it really is....

• Upvote (+1) 2