CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

They're just a team of friends playing at an open tournament lol. Chill. The tweets are kinda bad but that's just Elitest expressing his opinion without sugarcoating it.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

what do you guys want HCS to do?

most people did not want a launch event or an event 3 days after launch. Most people on these forums said that having a tournament 3 days after launch was stupid.

HCS will come around and launch there thing.

there was an event at PAX Australia  that was streamed.

There is a thing that ESL Halo is doing in Europe with the Simms. It was posted in this thread.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Oh is that so? News to me. Regardless, I don't regard Iron Gaming as a professional organisation. I remember when they first came around and they were flashing piles of money on a live stream like it was a toy. 

Sure, someone should have filled a void for launch tourneys but Iron Gaming just jumped the gun. I don't see why you're surprised 343 decided to not partner with them. 

If 343 didn't like IG that much (even though they collaborated on 2 HCS H2A events, and were great w/ providing f2P online tourneys), they should have nutted up and had their own launch tourney.

Or, they could have supported IG and made the tourney much better. Either way, 343 missed a big opportunity with the game launching, and that indirectly led to this bad publicity...

I'm sure we will hear more about HCS very soon. They obviously wanted players to get comfortable with the game before holding HCS events with points and whatever. Half the teams are still looking for players.

Honestly can't believe you are suggesting there should have been an HCS event already.

• Upvote (+1) 3

How exactly would they punish them ? No money for them even though they earned it? It's true that they might have been immature about it and it probably wasnt the best way to vent the frustration for that crap gametype but THAT IS THEIR(players) choice. There are no rules that prevent you from doing so and if you dont like the gametype and you know you are going to lose it, might as well get over it fast.

It's clear that whoever was on FA had no care about the competitive scene or what it looks like, they just wanted to act like clowns thinking their behaviour would somehow get Breakout removed.

In an ideal world, we would look back at Ricochet in H2A and make videos and posts about why it is a bad idea and move from there, not kill yourself in a tournament because you think you're hot shit.

In terms of punishment, I'd have banned them from future tournaments because it makes Iron Gaming look bad, the community look bad and themselves look bad too but since Iron Gaming isn't going to be having future events, I guess it doesn't matter. If I was 343 though, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to ban them from the HCS.

• Upvote (+1) 5

That tweet was because we had leverage and knew they would take it out of the rotation.

This whole thing is meh.

Sammy has always been an interesting human, he just never had any public eye outside twitter. I love the kid, but he's definitely an acquired taste.

As for everything else, isn't it apparent the tournament was kind of a joke tournament?

The team that won team name was Team Daytona lmfao

and there were what, 3 actual "pros" there?

That isn't the point though if you and compete in something the goal is to win you don't do something like this in any competition. Its called sportsmanship I don't care if its pick up basketball you don't act like a dickhead and do this kind of shit. I guess its just me. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

That tweet was because we had leverage and knew they would take it out of the rotation.

This whole thing is meh.

Sammy has always been an interesting human, he just never had any public eye outside twitter. I love the kid, but he's definitely an acquired taste.

As for everything else, isn't it apparent the tournament was kind of a joke tournament?

no need to make fun of a smaller events. Not every event has to be huge and big. We can have smaller events where amateurs and local pros can go to have fun and make a name for themselves. 

It helps build the scene and get players interested in coming out to the bigger events.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

no need to make fun of a smaller event. Not every event has to be huge and big. We can have smaller events where amateurs and local pros can go to have fun and make a name for themselves. 

It helps build the scene and get players interested in coming out to the bigger events.

I'm not making fun of a smaller event, I'm making fun of a company I've always publicly said poor things about. Maybe if they didn't blackmail me it would've been different.

They turned it around in H2A with 343's help, but that's about it.

That isn't the point though if you and compete in something the goal is to win you don't do something like this in any competition. Its called sportsmanship I don't care if its pick up basketball you don't act like a dickhead and do this kind of shit. I guess its just me. 

Absolutely, I'm not agreeing with what they did.

Just saying, as someone who knows Sammy really well.

He's actually probably my best friend through Halo, it doesn't surprise me at all.

If 343 didn't like IG that much (even though they collaborated on 2 HCS H2A events, and were great w/ providing f2P online tourneys), they should have nutted up and had their own launch tourney.

Or, they could have supported IG and made the tourney much better. Either way, 343 missed a big opportunity with the game launching, and that indirectly led to this bad publicity...

I don't see why 343 had to do anything because IG were hosting a tournament not even a week after launch. They've likely been working on their plans for months now and a random tournament not even a week after launch isn't any part of those plans.

Iron Gaming should have waited, seen the plans for HCS and then made their plans.

This whole thing is meh.

That's because any pros who are smart would realize they could probably make more money streaming Halo 5, building up their viewers on Twitch and then make more money over time than a chance at winning however much at a tournament taking place for a game that had only been out for a couple of days.

I'm sure we will hear more about HCS very soon. They obviously wanted players to get comfortable with the game before holding HCS events with points and whatever. Half the teams are still looking for players.

Honestly can't believe you are suggesting there should have been an HCS event already.

They could've had a simple invitational, that didn't affect points. Like H2A...

if this game flops, it won't be because of sprint or thruster. It will be because of 343's launch strategy... Sustain is garbage.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

With 343's help. Maybe 343 thought they weren't worth helping anymore? Even the events they ran with 343 backing were probably both the poorest events of the seasons.

Oh is that so? News to me. Regardless, I don't regard Iron Gaming as a professional organisation. I remember when they first came around and they were flashing piles of money on a live stream like it was a toy. 

Sure, someone should have filled a void for launch tourneys but Iron Gaming just jumped the gun. I don't see why you're surprised 343 decided to not partner with them. 

While I see where you're coming from, I can't help but feel you're overemphasizing IG's role in somehow letting this happen. Yeah, it might not have happened if this was a sanctioned event, if better teams had shown up, if competitive settings had been finalized, if IG was "more professional," yada yada... But, at the end of the day, the situation was caused by a couple of disrespectful jerks with bad attitudes, and they deserve the lion's share of the blame. 

That's because any pros who are smart would realize they could probably make more money streaming Halo 5, building up their viewers on Twitch and then make more money over time than a chance at winning however much at a tournament taking place for a game that had only been out for a couple of days.

Learning the game was the biggest thing for me. More money to be made next year, I'd like to prepare the most I can.

• Upvote (+1) 2

While I see where you're coming from, I can't help but feel you're overemphasizing IG's role in somehow letting this happen. Yeah, it might not have happened if this was a sanctioned event, if better teams had shown up, if competitive settings had been finalized, if IG was "more professional," yada yada... But, at the end of the day, the situation was caused by a couple of disrespectful jerks with bad attitudes, and they deserve the lion's share of the blame. 

What I'm trying to say is ever since the start, Iron Gaming has acted unprofessional so many times - the biggest was when they flashed the cash stack of a live stream. I could probably go back and look up all the IG topics that have been on Beyond and get a good list going but it seems pointless if this was their last tournament.

I was asking if they would be punished thinking they'd be having future tournaments which turned out to not be the case. 

Learning the game was the biggest thing for me. More money to be made next year, I'd like to prepare the most I can.

Solid plan. Like going to an invitational would be fine because the game likely isn't out and it's going to be everyone's first time on the game since December so everyone will be on an even playing field. But a tournament a few days after launch just doesn't make sense. Like take your time to learn the game, build up a fan base and win big next year with the HCS events and eventually Halo World Champs.

Yes, because it makes sense to think that out of the 3,000+ people watching, every single one of them is a long standing competitive Halo fan who has been involved with the scene. You really think a new game will not attract new viewers? Casual players browsing the Halo 5 section looking for a stream to watch and turn the tournament on and see that? Please.

They were in a position bigger than themselves. This really is far from rocket science. For a game that has not been out for a full week yet, to pull something like that, is pathetic. It's not admirable - it's not applause worthy - it's bullshit. Let alone then tweeting at the publisher basically saying "Fuck You" again. These are guys in their 20s, they not 13 and 14 year olds, act like it.

3000 people watching, fraction of that are new players, and a fraction of new players MIGHT let this effect them.

I get that you're mad, but this is the least of Halo's worries.

They could've had a simple invitational, that didn't affect points. Like H2A...

if this game flops, it won't be because of sprint or thruster. It will be because of 343's launch strategy... Sustain is garbage.

Couldn't agree more man.

Tournaments, settings, weapons, etc...

None of that shit matters right now. Halo 5 having the least amount of content EVER launched with a Halo game and holding back standard features for months all while black ops 3 and Fallout 4 are coming out...that's what will kill this game.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Solid plan. Like going to an invitational would be fine because the game likely isn't out and it's going to be everyone's first time on the game since December so everyone will be on an even playing field. But a tournament a few days after launch just doesn't make sense. Like take your time to learn the game, build up a fan base and win big next year with the HCS events and eventually Halo World Champs.

Sorry about my post Moa wasn't sure where was the appropriate place for my post :P

3000 people watching, fraction of that are new players, and a fraction of new players MIGHT let this effect them.

I get that you're mad, but this is the least of Halo's worries.

I'm not mad at all. I'm disappointed actually. 

And I would say for a game that is attempting crawl from the depths of virtual complete irrelevancy from 2013 to November of last year upon the release of the MCC, I would say the image that is put forth on Twitch to thousands of people watching is a pretty big worry. Especially when we now have dev support, the HCS, and major organizations sponsoring teams within the scene. Oh and a game that has not even been out for a full week yet that is looking to attract new players and fans. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

This just represents the continuation of many issues in my eyes.

1. This ridiculous 'pro' vs 'semi-pro' vs 'amateur' designation. This whole thing is just a holdover from MLG days. I get that some are better, more established than others, but this whole "He's not even a real pro" argument... who gives a fuck? Do the viewers know that?

2. Overvaluing people based on their skill, and undervaluing what they actually do for the community.

3. Immaturity of top players in the game. Halo came up as a suburban kid NA esport, and it's still rife with people calling each other 'kid', offensive language, etc. So in some sense it's not surprising that an above average player at a tournament would pull some bad-manner thing like this.

Go follow some (non-north-american) CS players on twitter and see how they act towards each other and towards the devs on Twitter. It's all love, even when they disagree. That's what it's like when you're a big e-sport. Sniping at each other is just signs of pettiness and the smallness of your pond.

smh overall

Agree wholeheartedly. There needs to be a shift in culture in order for the scene to grow, but also (importantly) to make it a fun thing to be a part of.

tumblr_n7jaanWpSr1txgep2o1_400.gif

This weekend. #shitstorm

I do agree with Tiburon though, the pro players seem more like a "club" than anything. Perhaps there should be a meeting about MLG settings etc. But I dont think theyll take breakout out of the game. Its definitely competitive an dthe games this weekend were certainly sweaty. That takes 3 maps right out of the rotation leaving 4 or whatever. Last 2 seasons got REALLLY dry with warlord.lockout and shrine.

Felt really good getting back into the stats this weekend.

It was really just that too, just kind of shaking off the rust and getting back into the game.

I've got big plans for this upcoming HCS Season and Halo 5 and I'm excited for when details are released so I can start getting things sorted out.

Even from this small audience I could tell a lot of people like these, especially @Walshy  :) (Thanks for the shoutout on stream btw)

It'll all be posted on the HcsStats twitter account, so make sure to tune in there.  :weback:

2thumbs-up.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 3