CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

How has :beyond: have no copies yet? Y'all are about the community, Frankie, Josh, and Quinn post here. Some of their pro team used to post here as well.

Come on son

Some people want to protect their image, and when they know you'll be honest about their game, they tend to worry. 

Being honest about things like The Master Chief collection, no matter how good intentioned, can raise red flags with a developer who might be teetering on the edge between sinking and swimming with a franchise. 

I can understand why they would be worried and cautious, and respect their decision, but it doesn't always leave the best taste in one's mouth when you've tried to stand by the franchise for so long. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

How has :beyond: have no copies yet? Y'all are about the community, Frankie, Josh, and Quinn post here. Some of their pro team used to post here as well.

Come on son

I got confirmation yesterday we are getting one, just playing the waiting game now :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Some people want to protect their image, and when they know you'll be honest about their game, they tend to worry. 

Being honest about things like The Master Chief collection, no matter how good intentioned, can raise red flags with a developer who might be teetering on the edge between sinking and swimming with a franchise. 

I can understand why they would be worried and cautious, and respect their decision, but it doesn't always leave the best taste in one's mouth when you've tried to stand by the franchise for so long. 

I don't see a reason to have given the Beyond kids a whitelist. You reach the same audience (really a wider audience) by putting the current pros on the whitelist, so there's really no marginal benefit to including the staff from this website.

If you're really concerned about people being honest, you don't give Summit (whose distribution is huge) and TJ early access.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I got confirmation yesterday we are getting one, just playing the waiting game now :)

At this rate yall get it the day before everyone else which ain't that cool tbh.

I don't see a reason to have given the Beyond kids a whitelist. You reach the same audience (really a wider audience) by putting the current pros on the whitelist, so there's really no marginal benefit to including the staff from this website.

If you're really concerned about people being honest, you don't give Summit (whose distribution is huge) and TJ early access.

Never said we needed one, not saying I needed one, just saying I could understand how certain people could feel slighted when you have a lot of smaller, non-Halo, gaming sites getting copies and whitelisted. 

Never said we needed one, not saying I needed one, just saying I could understand how certain people could feel slighted when you have a lot of smaller, non-Halo, gaming sites getting copies and whitelisted. 

Oh, I totally agree. It's been fairly obvious to me that 343i takes advantage of you guys as free marketing and gives you very little in return outside of having a snarky dev show up once a month to either talk shit or regurgitate bulletpoints off already published material.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Under that logic, lets not give any one a media copy except Greenskull and Pros. That's the casual and competitive crowd completely covered, right?

:/

• Upvote (+1) 1

Under that logic, lets not give any one a media copy except Greenskull and Pros. That's the casual and competitive crowd completely covered, right?

:/

I mean don't take it personally.

There are people like Jericho, Summit, and Hutch who reach a wider audience that doesn't necessarily overlap with Greenskull. It makes total sense why guys that can bridge the gap into different distribution channels and genres get early access. I don't think Beyond reaches anyone that Walshy, Roy, Ogre 2 and TJ don't already reach; so it's not really doing much for them.

Not saying you don't "deserve" it, however. Don't get me wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Still wild Contra didn't get h5 early regardless what people think of him.

Consistent top 12/8 placings all HCS and placed 5th at H4GC...yet 343 gives him the cold shoulder? Or did he not ask for it?

Still wild Contra didn't get h5 early regardless what people think of him.

Off topic here, but if Shadowrun became backwards compatible would I see you and Gabriel on it again? I'd like to grab a bunch of old players and old h2 players and get them involved.

At this rate yall get it the day before everyone else which ain't that cool tbh.

It honestly doesn't really matter - it would be nice to get some review out and a jumpstart on content, but it isnt like we wouldnt be doing those things anyways on the 27th. 

From what I understand review copies are just a big game, distributing review copies to users who are less likely to disagree publicly with your game design decisions makes perfect sense. Pre-launch is an important time for any game launch and reducing the chances for any type of negative review is the strategy.

Also for anyone saying "Pros are streaming, why should Beyond get a copy its the same audience" I do not think you understand. I havent seen a Halo Pro stream with over 2,000 unique viewers. Lets say a streamer DOES get 2,000 viewers, and gets it everyday from now until launch - which would be roughly 8,000-15,000 unique viewers over 3-4 days. 8,000-15,000 unique viewers is ONE day on Beyond. 

To give some insight onto the traffic and eyeballs we get here on the site, there has not been a day here in the past week where we have been under 90,000 views (per day), and it is generally over 100,000 views a day. 

But like I mentioned before, review copies are not about viewership numbers, it is about generating positive hype for your game. Not like Beyond wouldn't be doing that anyways, as most of us agree with the (a majority) of the decisions being made in Halo 5 multiplayer, but I digress. 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Honestly I think 343 should have only given out copies to media and possibly some of the bigger, non-competitive streamers. Pros should not have gotten early access, imo. But I'm not a marketing guy so whatever, I guess.

You can not equate pro streaming views with the unique viewers on Beyond. They are different medium with different time spent per viewer.  Also you are completely discrediting the added value of a "pro" streaming.

I think the beyond audience is strictly Halo and the only developed medium Beyond has is the website/forums. It makes sense to give other media copies because their audience is not strictly Halo.

with that said I have seen certain players in streams and have no idea why they have a copy.

It honestly doesn't really matter - it would be nice to get some review out and a jumpstart on content, but it isnt like we wouldnt be doing those things anyways on the 27th. 

From what I understand review copies are just a big game, distributing review copies to users who are less likely to disagree publicly with your game design decisions makes perfect sense. Pre-launch is an important time for any game launch and reducing the chances for any type of negative review is the strategy.

Also for anyone saying "Pros are streaming, why should Beyond get a copy its the same audience" I do not think you understand. I havent seen a Halo Pro stream with over 2,000 unique viewers. Lets say a streamer DOES get 2,000 viewers, and gets it everyday from now until launch - which would be roughly 8,000-15,000 unique viewers over 3-4 days. 8,000-15,000 unique viewers is ONE day on Beyond. 

To give some insight onto the traffic and eyeballs we get here on the site, there has not been a day here in the past week where we have been under 90,000 views (per day), and it is generally over 100,000 views a day. 

But like I mentioned before, review copies are not about viewership numbers, it is about generating positive hype for your game. Not like Beyond wouldn't be doing that anyways, as most of us agree with the (a majority) of the decisions being made in Halo 5 multiplayer, but I digress. 

It's 4:45 on  Saturday and both Walsh and Hysteria have ~1,500 concurrent viewers. That can translate to something like 2,000-3,000 unique viewers over the streaming period. Account for overlap between streams and Walsh and Hysteria this afternoon alone have probably produced about 4,000-5,000 total unique viewers.

Not sure why you think that Pros haven't had 2,000 viewers. Not only have the done that, but multiple Pros have done that and maintained the audience for hours.

Edit: The key to marketing games going forward (and it's been moving in this direction for a while) is to produce review content via streaming. Consumers want to see people PLAYING the game. They want to see whether people enjoy it, and what it's like to play with friends. They don't want to read reviews on video game websites when making consumption decisions.

I think advertising-through-streaming can sell more units than video game review sites.

Again none of this means necessarily that you shouldn't have gotten early copies and that 343 shouldn't utilize both pathways.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You can not equate pro streaming views with the unique viewers on Beyond. They are different medium with different time spent per viewer.  Also you are completely discrediting the added value of a "pro" streaming.

I think the beyond audience is strictly Halo and the only developed medium Beyond has is the website/forums. It makes sense to give other media copies because their audience is not strictly Halo.

with that said I have seen certain players in streams and have no idea why they have a copy.

A unique viewer, is a unique viewer. The platform does not matter. It is a person viewing something. Period.

The Beyond audience is not strictly Halo, at all. In fact, Any news article for Destiny and some of Call of Duty completely eclipses a majority of viewership on our Halo content. 

Source: Statistics. 

It's 4:45 on  Saturday and both Walsh and Hysteria have ~1,500 concurrent viewers. That can translate to something like 2,000-3,000 unique viewers over the streaming period. Account for overlap between streams and Walsh and Hysteria this afternoon alone have probably produced about 4,000-5,000 total unique viewers.

Not sure why you think that Pros haven't had 2,000 viewers. Not only have the done that, but multiple Pros have done that and maintained the audience for hours.

Re-read my post, I literally just said this, and allocated a generous ballpark amount - and I said I have not personally seen any streamer with over 2,000 unique viewers that is a Halo pro. Maybe they hit it, but I stated I havent seen it myself.

The highest I have seen is between 1,200-1,500 so far, thats for Halo pros though. YouTube personalities are more than likely crushing that number.

naded has had over 2,000 viewers when he streamed. i think he hit  2.6k

a viewer visiting beyond for 5 minutes to read the forums is different than a viewer watching Walshy play Halo 5 for 30 minutes.

Re-read my post, I literally just said this, and allocated a generous ballpark amount - and I said I have not personally seen any streamer with over 2,000 unique viewers that is a Halo pro. Maybe they hit it, but I stated I havent seen it myself.

The highest I have seen is between 1,200-1,500 so far, thats for Halo pros though. YouTube personalities are more than likely crushing that number.

That's concurrent, though.  It doesn't account for the different people who tune in for 10-15 minutes, then close the stream (and get replaced by someone else doing the same thing).

His point is there's a good chance the actual number of unique eyeballs reached is over 2,000.  Just not concurrently.

Twitch viewer count is not the same as website hits.

a viewer visiting beyond for 5 minutes to read the forums is different than a viewer watching Walshy play Halo 5 for 30 minutes.

You are now confusing unique visitors and session duration, even streams can have people click off right away.

For example, our last month average number is: 5 minutes and 59 seconds.

Thats great for Naded, one of the few people who have put in the effort.

I can also play the game of, a viewer visiting Beyond for an hour to watch and read a thread is different than a viewer watching Walshy for 5 minutes. 

It is literally the same thing. A unique person has their browser open, and is on a website. Time tables different from user to user, so what you are saying doesnt really make any sense - because they are the same.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't know why you guys saying its the same. 

Watching a stream is not the same as reading forums. It is a different experience for the viewer and a different effect for people interested in the game. They are two different mediums and what the "viewer" can gain from reading forums is different from watching a Halo stream.

• Upvote (+1) 1