CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

What would people think about a Ninja, Spartan, Naded, El Town team? I feel like their play styles would mesh together well.

I've said repeatedly I think Ninja and Spartan are too similar of players to see true success together unless one of them drastically changes their playstyle.  Spartan tweaked his a bit with Ninja alongside him, but I still think the two are better off separate than they are together.

Add onto that the fact that Naded, Ninja, and Spartan are all players who are known to "tilt" (yes, I know this is shit analysis and I was disgusted and how heavily the casters stressed it) you've got a team that is probably going to be self-destructive at an event, especially if things ever start going against them.

I'd say taking Naded + Spartan could be an explosive combination, but Spartan and Naded both show the same tendencies of looking dominant when they're energetic and yelling...but kinda flat when they're quiet.

I think all three of those players are better off separate so you don't end up with extremes multiplying extremes.  Consistency (to me) is far more important than higher highs if the cost is lower lows.

I think of those 3 players, Spartan is the most likely to find his way onto a team that can take down CLG, but all 3 have the ability to consistently place top 4 with a well-constructed team around them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What would people think about a Ninja, Spartan, Naded, El Town team? I feel like their play styles would mesh together well.

Good not great

Lacking elite skill

3 support players and one elite Spartan

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 11

Even if they could somehow get Stellur back, I think they can be a top 8 roster. I think Lifestyle played well w/ them but they didn't have enough slaying w/ Chaser. Flame, Maniac, Lifestyle, and Stellur would be a good start.

Yeah it would be a good start, but if someone better than Lifestyle became available I'd hope they could get them as fast as they could.

Damn I must be pretty overrated if you guys are still keeping me up there with the sudds!

Nah, think of them as training weights to get your gun skill back up to par. :)

If you can carry the Sudds, you can carry anybody.

Personally, I think EG is making another mistake by just auto picking up Suspector and not trying it out first. It's the same thing with the Commonly pickup, it was rushed and not fully thought out. You can't just pick up a young gun who's hot and think it'll fix your problems. I'd love to see them try a few others out, but I guess we just have to see how it works out. Let's hope and pray!

Be careful what you say, last time they picked up Commonly I questioned it and Snipedown came in to Team Beyond to throw a fit about how I know nothing about Halo.

EG probably has known for awhile they were going to drop Commonly. They have probably also known who they would pickup if the opportunity arises. They are just securing Suspector before someone e else tried to.

But I agree, they are pro e to quick decisions that don't work out.

• Upvote (+1) 7

They had 0 time to think about the Commonly situation. But I can agree with what you said about the auto-pickup.

They had longer than a few hours, which is how quick they made the decision.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I think instead of Power Rankings, during Roster Mania we should be making a "draft" preview or list of prospects.  I'm sticking just to players I think may be jumping ship from their team/org if given the opportunity, so a few players will be left out. :P  This doesn't mean they aren't a relevant prospect, just that I don't expect them to be moving.

This is my list... by "playstyle" -- order within a category loosely reflects how valuable I think that player is weighed against similar players.  Not 100% organized though.

The Power Slayers (Priority 1) - A list of players that control power weapons that are likely to be up for grabs from their respective teams.

• Suspector - This one's a no-brainer.  Suspector and Stellur blew up when they were on the Randa-led eLevate this year, and proved himself with Allegiance throughout the season, constantly putting up dominant performances while also showing he was a student of the game, learning its intricacies.
  • Penguin - His performance at Worlds was the catalyst that finally got other people to truly accept their new Gotham leader.  He dominates with the Sniper and Fuel Rod... and when he doesn't have those, has the highest % of automatic usage in the game.  Someone who truly understands H5.
  • Mikwen - Someone who didn't make it to Worlds, but you can bet he's not content to stay on the outer rim.  He'll definitely be making moves.
  • Contra - Capable with or without a Sniper, I hesitate to put him in this category, but his sniping on Eden TS at Regionals and on Coliseum CTF at Worlds helped put the nail in Liquid's coffin.  Part of Denial's success though was that every player was capable with a power weapon, so it wasn't as though Contra was single-handedly holding the slayer burden.  Who knows how he'd hold up in a different environment?
  • StelluR - Stellur is another player I hesitate to put in this category -- but I'm going to compare him to a young Neighbor.  Why Neighbor?  They're both fantastic slayers... but they both also show a tendency to make extremely selfish plays or untimely flanks in order to focus on staying alive over helping teammates or exerting map pressure.  It can turn out good if their teammates don't crack behind them, but it can also leave him on an island until he decides to make a play.
  • Str8 Sick - He may not have made it to Worlds, but Str8 Sick is also still worthy of this list.  He knows how to get kills, and his Sniper is solid.  Running into Noble (eLevate) and CLG in his group though made it an uphill climb to try to qualify for Worlds.

The Tanks (Priority 2) - The in-your-face, hold forward and out-pistol (or out-AR, or SMG, or Storm Rifle) you type players that open up the field with aggression.  They'll have a high damage per game, but lower damage per death, generally because their front line positions get them killed...often.  Likewise, these are the players who generally need to have the best communication on the team in order to ensure their team are playing around them when they go to push, otherwise... it's 1v2 time.

• Spartan - Spartan has grown a lot since H2A, and shows quite a bit of versatility in his playstyle and a ton more patience, but he's still the type of player who wants to push up and make things happen when he can.  He's a dominant slayer with a strong shot, good auto usage, and a ton of energy poured into his call outs.
  • APG - APG is a storied player who's been hovering around the top since late H3.  His shot is usually steady come event time, regardless of out-of-game stumbling blocks.  His communication is solid and he's usually in good positions at the right times to make things happen.  Less likely to just go off than Spartan or Ninja, but more consistent across the board and when he's practiced, he's one of the least likely to have an outright bad game.
  • Roy - I want to imagine Roy's not moving from EG, and that he and Snipedown will stay together moving forward.  I don't think there's anything I have to say about Roy's gameplay and playstyle that the rest of you don't already know.  If Lunchbox is truly retiring though, it's likely someone will make at least an attempt to lure Roy away from EG to reinforce their own team.
  • Ninja - Ninja's playstyle since H2A has been the paragon of this type of player.  He rushes and tries to make things happen.  Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.
  • (I don't think anyone else truly fits this playstyle, but lack information on some of the Denial/eLevate players to see if they'd fit in.  Devonator, Huke, Rayne, or Jimbo may fit into this category.)

The Wild Cards (Versatile) - Players whose playstyle can't really be mimicked due to how unique it is.  They can go off with power weapons, but are usually being a nuisance to the enemy team some other way, and staying alive throughout it.  Frosty is the #1 example of this category, but... he's not going anywhere.

• bubu dubu - The man of two syllables has shown time and time again he knows how to make plays when it happens, and his montage showed he likes to be as annoying as possible to the enemy team.
  • Pistola - He may not have made it to Worlds, but Pistola is still the #1 example of a player whose playstyle isn't mimicked elsewhere.  EnVy failed because of too many passive, back-line players...but with a front line consisting of Spartan or Ninja or Roy... Pistola could very easily find his footing again and arrive precisely when the Wizard wants to.
  • eL ToWn - Mostly a selfless front-line player, eL ToWn's flanks were a large part of Allegiance's success on Coliseum Flag... and his Fuel Rod was a large part of Allegiance's success on Regret.  He and Naded helped open up Suspector to succeed, and both are players who will put in time to learn the intricacies of the game.

The Second Slayer (Priority 3) - Players who usually aren't your team's first choice for power weapons, but will generally be putting up solid slaying numbers throughout a game.  They focus on slaying from good positions or staying alive in good positions, but generally exert pressure in strong points on the map.

• Huke - Obvious.  Shouldn't have to say much about him since the casters and his brother on the forums have been saying it since Regionals.
  • Rayne - Took second fiddle to Penguin on Noble/eLevate, but was often keeping up with him or surpassing him in slaying stats during games.  He had an amazing showing at Worlds and showed that on the most stress-inducing stage in the world, he can show up big.
  • Commonly - I think Commonly is more slayer-oriented than he is focused on a team, but he had strong communication when playing with Crowd Pleasers.  He wasn't the answer EG seemed to need to fill the hole left by Lethul, but it wasn't an easy gap to fill.  I imagine he'll be looking for a new home in the next season, and he deserves to find it.
  • Cratos - "Best shot in H5" - He had some really fantastic games in the series against Liquid where Allegiance got 3-0'd, but looked flat for much of the rest of the tournament comparatively.  Against CLG he did not perform.  Seems to be streaky/inconsistent, but when he's on, he's impressive.
  • Hysteria - Hasn't been as impressive in H5 as past Halos, but he's still on a top 8 NA team, and therefore valid for conversation about ending up on a different roster.  I personally wonder if their series vs Epsilon would've gone differently if it had been played later in the day -- Americans playing early in the morning vs Brits playing at what would be 4 PM their time.  Excuses, sure... but still worth pondering.
  • Cloud - I personally want to see Cloud and Hysteria split up, because I think it'd be better for the both of them.  Cloud is good, but doesn't seem to get along with Hysteria in-game, and based off OLDER gameplay of their playstyles, they have kinda similar styles, forcing Cloud to adapt.  Cloud for C9 ended up making a lot of selfless front line plays.  He's not been able to settle into the same Cloud form we saw in H3/Reach, but constantly forced to play "different" in order to fit into a team.

The Fillers (Priority 4) - Players who don't like to be front line and don't actively go for power weapons, but generally try to help their team by going where there's a gap or watching an important sightline to ensure anyone passing through doesn't advance untouched.

• VictoryX - VictoryX is the player I would've put onto the EG roster over Commonly, simply because of the similarities he brings with Lethul, as well as how strong he's been for most of Halo 5.  When his team performs, he looks even better.  Putting him with a more consistent roster just further emphasizes his strengths as a player.  He's also somewhat of an anti-tilter, due to his infectious laugh.
  • Chig - After being dropped from Liquid, he took a step back and didn't overexert himself trying to get on a team he didn't think could win.  It wasn't individual performance that caused his issues, though, and Chig is usually still a consistent player who won't win or lose your team the game.
  • Assault - I always call Clete the "best listener in Halo" -- he's a great teammate, decent with power weapons should they fall into his hands, and usually upbeat, so he helps diffuse tension that may erupt from players that DON'T get along as much.
  • Calm - Laser-focused Calm is essentially a Chig Jr.  Less experience in Halo in general, but more time competing in Halo 5 puts him in a position that he should be seriously looked at by any roster who feel they have the slaying prowess and a front line but just need someone who "won't throw the game"
  • Ogre 2 - Ogre 2 is a hard man to talk about without making fans angry.  He's still a good player.  His Regionals roster was a bad roster with no one experienced in playing the front line.  His gun skill is deteriorating, but when his team is succeeding, it's due to him making up for it by being in a clever position with a rifle and raining shots from afar, knowing exactly which spots on the map are important to block at a given time.  His hands just can't keep up with his brain.
  • Arkanum - Arkanum is a player who's hard to judge these days -- in H2A, he performed well alongside Maniac, APG, and Aries.  With Winterfox, he stayed in decent position.  He had a good sense for which areas of the map to block.  However, his performance in H5 has been less than impressive, and his stats from Regionals may be a huge stumbling block for him to move forward.  Hopefully he finds his footing and can keep moving forward with a team that fits him better than the EnVy roster.

The Lambs (Priority 5) - Selfless objective players, players that will give up positioning, power weapons, or anything else to try to open up a play, even if it means they'll likely die.  They're the type that will go negative if it means winning a game, but it doesn't mean they're incapable of going positive.  Some drastically change their playstyle come slayer gametypes.

• Heinz - Though I personally hope Liquid don't make drastic changes, if they do, Heinz becomes a top prospect of his style of play.  His long range shot is usually consistent, though up close it gets shaky.  He's got a good sense for flanking out, great communication, and usually knows where to be on the map.
  • Naded - Probably could be argued to be a higher prospect on this category than Heinz.  Naded is Naded, and everyone for the last decade know his strengths and weaknesses.  He transitioned into a more selfless objective style in Reach, but he still doesn't show the same level of play come Sundays.  If Pro-League is all on weekdays, though...
  • Unlegit - Although many have Kevin billed as a slayer, his brain and communication show he really thinks in an objective sense quite a bit of the time.  With Liquid, all 4 players have been versatile and ended up on the front line at times, for better or (often) for worse.  If Liquid make changes, I imagine they'll be centered around replacing Unlegit with an even more slayer-oriented player, and hope he finds his home around a similar lot, so he can be free to be the player he is deep down.
  • Swift Kill - Formerly a more slayer-oriented player, he shifted his playstyle quickly when he came to team with Penguin and Rayne, opening the pair up to have the success they have.  He's done his job as a front-liner for eLevate, showing he can adapt his playstyle as a team needs, and showing he's grown since Reach.
  • Munoz - If you expected me to make a list and not include Munoz, you are a silly person.  I imagine he won't get any opportunities for a top 8 team this season, but like Swift Kill, he's a player who will put his life on the line (in-game) to set up the rest of his team to succeed.  Like Naded and the Allegiance roster, he's the type of player to find all those nerdy ledges and hiding spots and jumps and CE angles in order to catch opponents off guard.  He's a diligent player who will put in his share of the work to get the job done.

And that's the end of my list -- if a player got left off, it was probably an unintentional oversight.  I stuck mostly to the "Top 10" NA teams. (8 Worlds Qualifiers + Regionals eLevate + EnVy).

What about PreDevoNator? I thought he got overshadowed but still seemed to perform solid

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah it would be a good start, but if someone better than Lifestyle became available I'd hope they could get them as fast as they could.

feed me APG

• Upvote (+1) 1

watching suspector over the past few months, i've always thought the same thing: this guy needs a better team

not sure it happened today. 

but i wish the best for any teams trying to stop the CLG juggernaut. 

OG - Flamesword Maniac Naded Pistola

OG - Flamesword Manic  Naded APG

Either lineups would be deadly.

I feel like both of those line ups will just have bad streaks where they play poorly and prevent them from ever actually winning anything.

• Upvote (+1) 2

i still find it hilarious that kids (who don't know any better since they don't have the experience) think that ogre 2's hands or dexterity are somehow getting slower now that he's 29. listen, kids... i'm 31 and i'm WAY faster than i was at 21. maybe gaming skill deteriorates somewhere in your 50's or 60's, but not at freakin' 30. on a keyboard, i'm typing 180 wpm on a good day compared to hitting 130ish around 10 years ago. my reflexes and aim are at the very top of where they've ever been. the only thing that has changed is my desire and i'm willing to bet the same applies to ogre 2. literally has nothing to do with physical deterioration. so ridiculous... 

go pro

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Is suspector really that good? Never really paid attention to him.

If he is according to this thread, cant for for EG to be #back. Lunchbox does seem to be a slight weak link, having a life will do that.

Looks like Lunchbox isn't retiring. I really hope he starts putting more time into the game because I think he can easily be a top 5 player. Just look at his performance at xgames. If he played like that all the time EG could have beaten CLG at worlds. Hopefully this Suspector pickup is what EG needed to get that chemistry back that has been deteriorating ever since Lethul left. 

So bubu Dubu has stated he's staying with Denial on stream 100%

He's playing with huke. Seems like denial is staying together. Not verified though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

But I agree, they are pro e to quick decisions that don't work out.

I agree that making a decision so quickly is ill advised especially since they werent forced to, They have time to consider things out. Having said that i think Suspectors skill and playstyle are exactly what EG needed, There are other players out there like him so time will tell if they made the right choice. Roys actually appearing online so im spectating him watching Suspectors PoV. Hes impressing me...he pushes and he makes plays. I think the biggest problem with Commonly on EG is that he didnt have enough confidence in him self and you could see it in his playstyle. EG will be a better team with Suspector, guaranteed.

On a side note, can we get players streaming again? Like actual meaningful games and scrims. If Halo wants to keep thriving they need to feed their fanbase. Warzone with subs isnt doing it. I think this whole dont stream to improve the team thing is complete bologna. You know, the only team that streamed scrims before HWC did pretty well...

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can officially say as of now: I have a TEAM to support (I love Snip3down Roy and Suspector). Damn it feels nice to say that. I will still support Naded 100%, but right now Suspector is one of my favorite players and I will for sure be in his streams once in a while when he starts his grind.

Anyways, EG fans hope you accept me with open arms! Hopefully cool other teams form out of this as well.

Welcome to 2nd place bro!

i-know-that-feel-240x180.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 6

If Denial makes any changes its going to be Contra retiring and Denial picking up Temp.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1