CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I'd expect the halo pro league to be modeled after the cod world league. This is how the CWL is done:

-16 team invitational tournament, top 8 teams earn a spot in the league.

-Online open bracket style qualifier, top 4 teams earn the final 4 spots in the league.

-12 teams in the league after these two events.

-after the 11 week league play, the top 8 teams automatically qualify for the playoffs.

-The bottom 4 teams play in a relegation tournament with 4 challenger teams (that won the relegation qualifer tournament)

-Top 4 teams from the relegation/challenger tournament earn the 9-12th spots for season 2.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Jesus. Nadeshot has a bigger presence then all of HWC/HCS.

Telling. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, I don't really get it, never have. He's just sitting there reading off names of people who subbed, and people are throwing money at him. It's just so weird to me.

How much money did this guy lose by being stuck on MLG's streaming platform for so long?  holy shit dude

• Upvote (+1) 2

Jesus. Nadeshot has a bigger presence then all of HWC/HCS.

Telling. 

he's the most popular gamer in the world

not really surprising 

• Upvote (+1) 4

not really surprising 

The only thing that it means for Halo is that we need Optic-style branding, personalities, and Youtube presence.  

Like somehow I got through the entire HWC qualifiers + regionals + finals without seeing a single interview or video clip of Suspector, who is a top player and was in the finals ... I dunno man.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Nadeshot is a great dude, but it's cracking me up that people are throwing money at a millionaire lol.

It is literally completely ass-backwards: a bunch of kids, many from low to medium income families throwing money at a guy who makes a million a year. The irony behind it all is that Nadeshot left all of his fans on Twitch (despite the pleading for him to stay) so that he could chase more money at MLG, and then out of spite towards MLG stopped streaming completely which was essentially the equivalent of flipping off the fans that bothered to follow him over to MLG.

The guy has done a very good job of putting on a happy go lucky personality on camera for profit. I think he's fake as fuck otherwise.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 3

It is literally completely ass-backwards: a bunch of kids, many from low to medium income families throwing money at a guy who makes a million a year. The irony behind it all is that Nadeshot left all of his fans on Twitch (despite the pleading for him to stay) so that he could chase more money at MLG, and then out of spite towards MLG stopped streaming completely which was essentially the equivalent of flipping off the fans that bothered to follow him over to MLG.

The guy has done a very good job of putting on a happy go lucky personality on camera for profit. I think he's fake as fuck otherwise.

You mad bro?

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The only thing that it means for Halo is that we need Optic-style branding, personalities, and Youtube presence.

Like somehow I got through the entire HWC qualifiers + regionals + finals without seeing a single interview or video clip of Suspector, who is a top player and was in the finals ... I dunno man.

I've heard his same sentiment expressed countless times in this thread. The problem I think is you're asking guys to come out of their shells. Social media content. It's not going to happen. Lethal isn't going to become a youtube celebrity. Halo players and halo fans are more concerned with hardcore elements like tournaments and scrimmage matches. By in large they don't care about social content. That can be conditioned to change thou.

Was one video made about worlds and uploaded to YouTube to get cross promotion? They fact is you have to give guys incentives to become social media entertainers and there isn't much money or fame, with out a ton of hard work, to be had in this culture.

You know, halo fans care about winners. Lethal has a chance to brand himself now but the question is where would he start? He's a one man show. Few funny tweets or controversial tea bagging is great, but it's not on the same level as what OpTiC does. It does keep him hot though, he's the hottest personality and marketable figure halo has had in years.

And really Optic is missing a huge opportunity to cross over into halo by fielding such a mediocre roster. They're a case study of why what optic does or what cod does, from an orginization standpoint, doesn't translate to this community. Nobody cares about optic halo, people make fun of the obscure sort of bizarre tweets from Maniac, and the green wall shows up for the Last chance qualifier, but did they really get any momentum or fandom from halo fans? See it's not really about the Twitter and the YouTube but more than anything else it's about winning, above anything else, in the halo culture.

There's nothing grass roots about halo, from a social media standpoint, that's going to propel a team to stardom. It's counter intuitive but I think Optic needs to field an elite team first, then brand those guys secondly. With all of their assets at hand, they could build up both halo and their brand. Halo guys don't know how to do it, they don't seem to care to do it, and the fans don't really care either. There's a total lack of understanding and direction from a growth perspective. Hecz is probably the only guy in the world that can figure halo out. But I think he needs to get a stronger team first.

• Upvote (+1) 2

not really surprising

PewDiePie has that, but Nadeshot is the biggest console gamer personality by far.

• Upvote (+1) 3

PewDiePie has that, but Nadeshot is the biggest console gamer personality by far.

Wouldn't say by far, Scump isn't that far behind him.

Forgot about him, yeah he is undoubtedly more famous

Nadeshot isn't on tv frequently like pewdiepie is

I'm going to look like an idiot.

Who the hell is Nadeshot?

I'm with you, I've never heard of any of those youtube celebrities before today...

I didn't know I'd be getting old that early...

Had to look him up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadeshot

Matthew Haag (born August 3, 1992), known by his handle Nadeshot (stylized NaDeSHoT), is a former professional American Call of Duty player. He is the co-owner and former captain of the OpTic Gaming in the 2014 Call of Duty: Ghosts season and the 2014-2015 Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare season, playing the objective support role. Haag is a Major League Gaming (MLG) X Games 2014 gold medalist and 2011 Call of Duty XP World Champion, winning Best e-sports player at The Game Awards 2014. He is a Red Bull eSports athlete and participates in the MLG.tv streaming program. Haag is also sponsored by several gaming hardware companies, including Astro Gaming and Scuf Gaming. In April 2015, shortly after the Call of Duty Championship 2015, NaDeSHoT announced that he was leaving OpTic as a player and taking a leave of absence from competitive gaming.

He quit competitive gaming and just youtubes fulltime. Vlogs and that sort of thing. He's good friends with iJustine and her sister, if you've ever heard of them. 

He's the guy who's trending in the US with 46,000 tweets about him. 

o340Jcu.png

This type of graphic is sick.

This biggest issue is that I don't think you'd find find the same type of pic for all the Top pros.

Unless a bank of these pics were made available online.

I know they took pics of the pros at the NA Regionals, but I haven't seen anything posted online about them.

That was so cringey live.  It was funny seeing major nelson, phil, bonnie ross, etc.  I don't expect any of them to care about competitive halo, but seeing major nelson after the event having to read "Congratulations, guys" on the teleprompter was just too much.  

Everything felt so pure with walshy, goldenboy, simms, bravo, wra7th, onset, and any other caster I'm missing.  You can see/hear their passion.  The xbox/343 people left a sour taste in my mouth every time I saw them.  Also thought it was shitty that they reserved the best seats in the crowd for "xbox people."  Very symbolic of how little they care about fans.  I know, I know, happy to have the financial support and everything.  

I can't believe they stopped the games in the middle of the series just so the Xbox people could hear themselves talk. It felt so disingenuous. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Yeah I don't understand why Major Nelson and more importantly Blair had to come on. Major Nelson is actually very passionate about Halo (not so much eSports, though) from what I've heard, but you could tell the other host was just completely careless about what he was hosting. Cringe and lack of emotion made it look bad. No reason Simms or someone else couldnt have hosted.

• Upvote (+1) 4