CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I'm beginning to wonder now if all this money will actually help H5 to become a popular esport is the player interest isn't there ...

The H4 Global Championship had $300,000 in prize money (for an FFA), and had, what, 12k viewers?   

A big difference this time is that you'll have Twitch, Youtube Gaming, and MLG all promoting Halo tournaments (not sure if they'll always be promoting the same events, I have no idea how this will go down exactly). But exposure from those 3 sources in some fashion is pretty big

We don't know the actual numbers that it ended up reaching, but according to @@GoldenboyFTW, it was more than any other Halo event ever had.

I heard it maxed out somehwere in the 400,000 area.

but they also made H4GC into like a press conference, they announced a bunch of new games, showed new trailers. Shit like that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm beginning to wonder now if all this money will actually help H5 to become a popular esport is the player interest isn't there ...

The H4 Global Championship had $300,000 in prize money (for an FFA), and had, what, 12k viewers?   

The difference being Halo 4 had been out for a year and was a huge failure in many people's eyes.

With Halo 5, there is a huge focus on eSports and it's showing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If everyone gets the same feeling like they did in H2 and H3 when playing 4v4 Hardcore settings the game will be big.

#Pray

If everyone gets the same feeling like they did in H2 and H3 when playing 4v4 Hardcore settings the game will be big.

#Pray

Won't happen with AR/Pistol starts.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 3

The difference being Halo 4 had been out for a year and was a huge failure in many people's eyes.

With Halo 5, there is a huge focus on eSports and it's showing.

Just throwing $1,000,000 dollars at Halo 5 doesn't prove they are extremely focused on esports. We don't have the numbers and figures, but I can pretty much bet 343/Microsoft expects to make money on this million dollars by more people buying the game and Xboxs.

This can start and end as just being another money scheme for 343.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

but they also made H4GC into like a press conference, they announced a bunch of new games, showed new trailers. Shit like that.

That's fascinating, Twitch numbers maxed out at 12k but I guess people were watching through the XBL app?  400,000 is very impressive

Just throwing $1,000,000 dollars at Halo 5 doesn't prove they are extremely focused on esports. We don't have the numbers and figures, but I can pretty much bet 343/Microsoft expects to make money on this million dollars by more people buying the game and Xboxs.

This can start and end as just being another money scheme for 343.

More the fact they've had a super early beta, constantly talking to us, the pro team, Arena mode in general.

I'm late on this but I'm so happy for all the pro players right now, especially the ones who stuck it out from 2012 until now playing for a few hundred bucks at AGL events. Couldn't be happier for these guys, all of them deserve a share of the million dollar prize. This event will be life changing for the top players. So excited to have this to look forward to!

• Upvote (+1) 2

Won't happen with AR/Pistol starts.

Because heaven forbid you have to use something other than a br.

Friggin halo kids, man.

• Downvote (-1) 1

I'm late on this but I'm so happy for all the pro players right now, especially the ones who stuck it out from 2012 until now playing for a few hundred bucks at AGL events. Couldn't be happier for these guys, all of them deserve a share of the million dollar prize. This event will be life changing for the top players. So excited to have this to look forward to!

:saucey:

• Upvote (+1) 3

That's fascinating, Twitch numbers maxed out at 12k but I guess people were watching through the XBL app?  400,000 is very impressive

Well it was never suppose to be on Twitch anyways. That was just people livestreaming it from the xbox app

Anyone think some retired pros may make a comeback in h5. I would love to see legit back!

yeah i think players like Goofy, Bestman, and Captain Anarchy are making a comeback.  They are like 6 top teams. I am sure some old pros think they can break into top 8.

That's fascinating, Twitch numbers maxed out at 12k but I guess people were watching through the XBL app? 400,000 is very impressive

If there truly were only 12k concurrent viewers on the most popular streaming platfom, I doubt it got 400k. Perhaps Goldenboy meant non concurrent. But I also don't think the peak was 12k o Twitch.. that seems way too low.

Friggin halo kids, man.

Hate to be a "Halo Kid" but AR spawns completely changes the meta of the game.. At least the pistol is OKAY so if need be we can use that.

They should continue doing things like that for tournaments. They could have easily announced h5 stuff at HCS events to draw more viewers.

If there truly were only 12k concurrent viewers on the most popular streaming platfom, I doubt it got 400k. Perhaps Goldenboy meant non concurrent. But I also don't think the peak was 12k o Twitch.. that seems way too low.

It wasn't officially streamed on twitch or advertised on twitch. It was being rebroadcast by a few channels on twitch which is where those 12k numbers are coming from. The official stream was via XBOX Live Events app on the 360 or online via Xbox.com. They don't have official numbers for those platforms but that is where the 400k is coming from.

It wasn't officially streamed on twitch or advertised on twitch. It was being rebroadcast by a few channels on twitch which is where those 12k numbers are coming from. The official stream was via XBOX Live Events app on the 360 or online via Xbox.com. They don't have official numbers for those platforms but that is where the 400k is coming from.

Ah okay, sorry it's been a while.

Can't wait to compete... This is the best thing to happen to halo in a long time. As a community we really need to get behind Halo 5. This announcement shows the HCS is for real... Let's go, we back!

I love you.

• Upvote (+1) 1

$1 million, MLG, and ESL have nothing on this :)

Brad has done way more for the halo community than you could dream of. Kappa

• Upvote (+1) 1

Friggin halo kids, man.

See that's the thing - keep in mind I'm pushing Ar/Pistol starts all the way.

There's the big bunch of competitive Halo players like us, who wants to learn and understand the science of every design detail - ttk, why sprint is bad, why this certain map design is good/bad...ect, and right now it might be 50/50 AR/pistol, Br/wtvr starts.

But there's that bigger group of competitive players who just play to win and don't really understand or care why certain things are designed in that fashion, and majority of those players would want that Br back for 

1) nostalgia

2)..easy to use?

I'm just guessing here but I'm guessing it's mostly the nostalgia factor

And most players without even giving it a chance would just dismiss the pistol as a piece of crap and just want Br starts.

Now I might be completely wrong, but this is just from assumptions. 

We can cater to the majority competitive crowd and have Br starts (I don't mind, but I really want to give AR/Pistol starts a chance), get people to come back to Halo and satisfy them. 

Or, we can try to pull in newer players who doesn't know about the competitive side of Halo and have been using the AR their whole lives or pull in players who've never touch Halo in their lives, so that their transition from Slayer ( AR/Pistol) to competitive would be a lot smoother.

I might regret posting my thoughts, but it's just off the top of my head.

• Upvote (+1) 1