CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

As a reminder, the power rankings are in good fun and to create a healthy conversation for the community with some content. Pro players are playing for 2.5 million this weekend, think about that for a second.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Not trying to nitpick, but does it sound weird when people say "people are playing for X amount of money" when X is everything combined, not what they have a chance to win?

When I first saw people saying "halo players are playing for 2.5 mil", I thought that was the grand final prize. Shouldn't it be pro players are playing for 800k, the largest possible prize? New to esports.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not trying to nitpick, but does it sound weird when people say "people are playing for X amount of money" when X is everything combined, not what they have a chance to win?

When I first saw people saying "halo players are playing for 2.5 mil", I thought that was the grand final prize. Shouldn't it be pro players are playing for 800k, the largest possible prize? New to esports.

Nitpicking your nitpicking: 1 mill (40% of 2.5m)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thought the largest prize was 1m?

Its not just esports that does this, normal sports like golf do it to. Its the amount available to be won, not the amount for first place.

They say " playing for their share of 2.5m" alot to which is the correct way of putting it, I guess. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Sunday featuring only the finals match is gonna result in a lower peak viewership, and sucks for someone like me who works on Saturday because that'll actually be the most important and exciting day of the tournament. We all know who's gonna win the Finals, that's how it always has been with Halo tournaments too really. I'm upset about this.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Its not just esports that does this, normal sports like golf do it to. Its the amount available to be won, not the amount for first place.

They say " playing for their share of 2.5m" alot to which is the correct way of putting it, I guess. 

They don't actually say "for their share of 2.5m" though. They word/say it in a way that makes it sound like 2.5m is up for grabs for 1st, while technically not being wrong. Its just to advertise the bigger number.

Let's say those power ranking are spot on, and RNG really is the 3rd best team. (IMO they arent)

They are in the pool with the 2nd best team in EG, and could potentially match CLG round 1 if they place 2nd in Pool. In that case the 3rd best team would be placing 5-8. Situations like this is why double elim is needed.

And yes I know I am beating a dead horse.

Them being placed in CLG's pool is their own fault for their placing at Regionals  :walshy:

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Them being placed in CLG's pool is their own fault for their placing at Regionals  :walshy:

To an extent but they could have ended up in literally any group.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Based off performances, I feel like Liquid is being overrated this week and Denial still underrated.

Agreed. In my picks, I had Liquid at 6 (just like I had last week), and eLevate I moved from 8th up to 7th. I also noted that I really wanted to move eLevate passed Liquid but couldn't pull the trigger. I should have though, thinking about it more and more based on what we've seen to this point, as well as factoring in last week's scrims.

If Denial would have better scrims, I'd agree with you on Denial, but ONE good tournament for me makes me rate them at 5th, when it should be lower if we're going over body of work (Qualifiers, scrims, AND LAN). 

Here were my write-ups with my picks, hopefully @@aPK doesn't mind. If he'd like me to not post my reasonings in the future and stick to just the article, that's fine with me. 

Honestly wanted to move eLevate up to 6 ahead of Liquid, but couldn't pull the trigger.

1. CLG - This goes without saying. CLG is clearly the best team in the game right now. They haven't lost a scrim since LethuL joined the team. 

2. EG - EG always shows up on LAN. They continue to win every scrim against every team not named CLG. They even managed to take 4 games off of CLG in a scrim with a score that could have been even closer with a little more luck in some close games. 

3. Renegades - The 3rd and 4th spot were hard to pick this week. Allegiance and Renegades scrimmed three times this past week, and Renegades managed to take two of the scrims with scores of 8-3 and 7-6. They also dropped one series to Allegiance 7-6. I had to give the edge to Renegades as they seem to have an easier time with other opponents. 

4. Allegiance - Allegiance went 4-5 in scrims this week, losing to Renegades twice, EG twice, and eLevate one time. These kind of results are what make it so hard to pick the 3 and 4 seeds in my mind. With these two teams not meeting at Regionals, it makes ranking the two difficult. Allegiance is still clearly a top 4 team.

5. Denial - Denial is a hard team to gauge because they seem to beat so few teams while scrimming, but showed up at Regionals with Elumnite behind them. Because they managed to get 2nd at Regionals, it's hard for me to place them any lower than this, though I think a case could be made to move them down. While many people that know the team better than I do have mentioned things like they don't try as hard during scrims, that makes me think of traditional sports where there are certain team that go 100% in practice. The teams that practice the same way they will compete are the teams that are preparing themselves for success the best in my eyes. 

6. Liquid - Liquid went 1-5 in this week of scrims, only winning one series against Renegades 7-6. However, they have shown improvement and are only losing close series (other than when they play CLG, just like everyone else). Liquid also has many veterans who have been in LAN environments a ton and know how to turn it up when it matters.

7. eLevate - eLevate has shown a lot of improvement in the last few weeks. They went 4-3 this week in scrims, though that is slightly misleading as about half of their series were against international teams. They did manage to beat Liquid (6-5) and Allegiance (3-2) in a short scrim. With Chig becoming the coach, I think this team may be poised to make a run, but I haven't seen enough to move them up more than one spot since last week. 

8. Cloud 9 - Cloud 9 not only seems to be not improving, they're actually getting worse it appears. Their only win this week in scrims was against Exile 5, and it was a very short 3-0 series. They got blown out by everyone else they played, including each of the top 4 teams where they won a total of 7 games of a total 38 games played.
  • Upvote (+1) 7

Let's say those power ranking are spot on, and RNG really is the 3rd best team. (IMO they arent)

They are in the pool with the 2nd best team in EG, and could potentially match CLG round 1 if they place 2nd in Pool. In that case the 3rd best team would be placing 5-8. Situations like this is why double elim is needed.

I posted something along the line of this a few days ago but got negged to death for it. I completely agree. at least for placings 3-8 we need double elim.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

IDK what to think of Denial. I thought they were a good team before Regionals based on online results, and they showed up and proved it. Since then they have not looked good. I'm hesitant to rank them low because we all saw what they can do, but I also have no confidence that they can mimic their Regionals performance.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just a quick reminder for those who will be critical about the rankings. Power rankings are NOT equal to predictions. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

By that reasoning though, if any team places at anything less than their seeding/ranking you will be disappointed because 'the best teams deserved to be in the final'. (not your quote just the general characterization about this idea)

The spirit of this tournament is NOT about aiming for 2-4 or 5-8 in order to get a better cut of the prize money, life changing as it may be.  This competition is about being called the BEST halo team in the world.  You better believe every single one of those teams want to win this thing whether you or even they consider that realistic or not.

Nobody deserves anything in halo.  The only team that deserves to win the HWC will be the team that shows up all weekend.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Here were my write-ups with my picks, hopefully @@aPK doesn't mind.

Don't mind at all :]

Just a quick reminder for those who will be critical about the rankings. Power rankings are NOT equal to predictions. 

Are you saying I shouldn't have bet $400 on Renegades placing top 3?

I just want double elim so the seeds can be given more time to work themselves out and be a more correct representation of how good each team actually is. I can't really think of a single negative aspect to seeing more competitive Halo and a chance for each team to show exactly how good they are for the viewers or the players. The only people who really benefit from single elim seem to be the people who actually run the event. I think a negative of not being double elim has manifested itself during every online and LAN tournament we've had with the exception of maybe the X Games

• Upvote (+1) 5

When you have substantially more money on the line for 3-4 than you do for 5-8 I just don't see how Single Elim is acceptable. IDC what other eSports do it just doesnt make sense to me. Higher placing get more money because they are assumed to be better teams, however in Single Elim the 2nd best team could potentiall get knocked out early by the best team. They have no chance to prove themselves better than all the other teams. Obviously everyone wants to go in and win the event, but that cant happen.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Are you saying I shouldn't have bet $400 on Renegades placing top 3?

Basically. I'm saying that due to the randomness of the seeding for qualifiers, points for players, team changes, randomness of the bracket draws for regionals, and therefore "random" pools for worlds combined with random bracket for Worlds, the top teams will be playing who knows who so nothing can be predicted at this time.

Considering Sunday is only 2 hours long, I think there was plenty of time for double elimination in Bracket play.

Wait, is Sunday just the finals?

When you have substantially more money on the line for 3-4 than you do for 5-8 I just don't see how Single Elim is acceptable. IDC what other eSports do it just doesn't make sense to me. Higher placing get more money because they are assumed to be better teams, however in Single Elim the 2nd best team could potentially get knocked out early by the best team. They have no chance to prove themselves better than all the other teams. Obviously everyone wants to go in and win the event, but that cant happen.

I think you're letting money distort your view of what this competition is supposed to be about.  Imagine instead of 2.5 million on the line, it's only 25,000 and the winning squad takes 10,000 but the tournament is still to decide the best team in the world.  Nobody would care about just getting 2nd, 3-4, 5-8, etc.  Everybody would want to win.  It's funny that a competition with a prize pool incentivizing teams to compete to be the very best in the world is also enabling complacency. (or at least that's just the attitude I'm sensing)  And I hope that's wrong.  I really do hope every single team thinks they have a chance to win and I hope they all play like they can win.

Just want to see the best halo ever, don't care who it's from.

Edit:  Thx Ragnarok below for pointing out the circularity of this conversation.  PlzLearn definitely has a point about the size of the prizepool relative to the approach on this competition.  I hope both the raw spirit of the competition and the practical incentive of earnings both contribute to the overall quality of play this weekend.  

• Upvote (+1) 5