CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

OT, but I remember reading a while back that there's a Beyond FFA tournament possibly in the works. Any news on that?

clssfd.gif

Staring at this for at least three minutes trying to see where this GIF begins/ends... It's perfect!

• Upvote (+1) 6

No offense but there are so many things wrong with this that I don't know where to start.

$400m was not for game sales of H5 but for everything even vaguely related to H5.  Conservatively, this includes AT LEAST $100m in console bundles and other sales such as peripherals, deluxe editions, etc.  I would guess that H5 sold something like 3-4m copies at most.

343 did not, to my knowledge, say that REQ packs brought in over $2.5m of sales; what they did was increase the HWC prize pool to $2.5m, most of which ($1.5m) is taken from REQ sales.  We have no clue how much they've made off REQ packs (I'm guessing quite a bit more than $2.5m), as not all of that money is going into the HWC prize pool.  Presumably they're keeping some, putting some forward to the next HWC, etc.

Halo 5 has far more than 35k viewers/fans.  Maybe this is just a misunderstanding because the peak Twitch viewership was around 35k for the NA regionals?  Peak viewership of a single tournament on Twitch does not = total fans of Halo 5 lol.  I don't know how many uniques watched some part of the NA regionals but I would assume something like 200k, if not more, judging from comparable numbers in relation to peak viewers vs. uniques that have been provided by other esports orgs (hard to say though). 

Plenty of people bought the HCS REQ packs because it was the only way to get unique REQs ... it isn't only esports fans that would buy these packs (though certainly they'd make up the biggest part of the audience).  There are also many people who bought more than one HCS REQ pack ... I mean, all of your other numbers are so off-base that there's no way to even calculate how incorrect your final numbers are

As I was reaching the end of your post I was waiting for this part - 

65011128.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 3

So are they doing another draw after pool play is over where 1st place teams match 2nd place teams and then make a bracket? Or will it be like it was at regionals?

So are they doing another draw after pool play is over where 1st place teams match 2nd place teams and then make a bracket? Or will it be like it was at regionals?

I think they said something about randomizing the bracket in some manner after pool play. I can't quite recall though

It is somewhat randomly drawn (the one at Regionals was too, but the draw was done before group stage was over)

1st Place team and 2nd place team in a group can't be on same side of bracket.

Halo 5 has far more than 35k viewers/fans.  Maybe this is just a misunderstanding because the peak Twitch viewership was around 35k for the NA regionals?  Peak viewership of a single tournament on Twitch does not = total fans of Halo 5 lol. 

There is a severe issue with this, though.

If the peak viewership of one of the biggest tournaments in Halo history is roughly the same or lower than the 24-hour UUC in H5, that's a problem. That'd be like if the viewership for the Superbowl was the same as day one of the season. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Infinity beat me to response, so I'm just going to edit this to say...

He's in jail with T2.

I thought T2 was in rehab?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

There is a severe issue with this, though.

If the peak viewership of one of the biggest tournaments in Halo history is roughly the same or lower than the 24-hour UUC in H5, that's a problem. That'd be like if the viewership for the Superbowl was the same as day one of the season. 

Absolutely, I'm actually very very curious to see the numbers on that ...

Either way, really we just need to get the casuals into watching competitive play.  The situation at /r/halo (where HWC posts get 100 upvotes and lore stuff gets 2000 upvotes) should be seen as an opportunity; we're lucky that Halo, unlike CS:GO or BF4 or whatever, has a giant fanbase that's into the story, lore, campaign, expanded universe, etc.  Interest in Halo's competitive scene is relatively low (though not bad!), but the key is getting the casuals into it, as there are more casuals in Halo (proportionally) than you find in other scenes

There is a severe issue with this, though.

Viewership isn't there we lost 15k from X-Games to Regionals. Even Flamesword pulled 30k on his lcq stream.

I was definitely disappointed with viewership for Regionals, but I'm almost certain it has more to do with the lack of marketing than lack of audience. There are plenty of people out there that probably would have tuned into Regionals with proper marketing.

X Games had more viewership despite arguably less hype (it was just a tournament, not do-or-die for Worlds), which you can chalk up to the ESPN effect. Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of faith in 343's marketing efforts to this point with the evidence we have. They could be executing tactics that just aren't as effective as they expected and we're not seeing them, but I doubt it. Add that to announcing the location just three weeks prior to the event and putting tickets on sale very late.

Hopefully they can learn from the 2016 Worlds process and try and bring in that audience in more effective ways for 2017.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Absolutely, I'm actually very very curious to see the numbers on that ...

Either way, really we just need to get the casuals into watching competitive play.  The situation at /r/halo (where HWC posts get 100 upvotes and lore stuff gets 2000 upvotes) should be seen as an opportunity; we're lucky that Halo, unlike CS:GO or BF4 or whatever, has a giant fanbase that's into the story, lore, campaign, expanded universe, etc.  Interest in Halo's competitive scene is relatively low (though not bad!), but the key is getting the casuals into it, as there are more casuals in Halo (proportionally) than you find in other scenes

Well, a large problem is that people look at stream numbers as the be-all and end-all of competitive Halo interest. 

This is why I keep talking about measuring the health of the competitive scene in terms of self-sustainability, and why I have such a big problem with the guaranteed money that 343 is throwing down, because it obfuscates any true measurement we can take on whether or not people are into competitive Halo. It's like gauging the interest of the National Hockey League by how many people watch free/bootlegged streams out there. Those 30-40k people looking in might not contribute one measly cent toward supporting Halo monetarily, and it's the same issue inverted on REQ packs; most of those people buying packs, even the HCS ones, are not going to be tuning in to watch. 

I was definitely disappointed with viewership for Regionals, but I'm almost certain it has more to do with the lack of marketing than lack of audience. There are plenty of people out there that probably would have tuned into Regionals with proper marketing.

X Games had more viewership despite arguably less hype (it was just a tournament, not do-or-die for Worlds), which you can chalk up to the ESPN effect. Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of faith in 343's marketing efforts to this point with the evidence we have. They could be executing tactics that just aren't as effective as they expected and we're not seeing them, but I doubt it. Add that to announcing the location just three weeks prior to the event and putting tickets on sale very late.

Hopefully they can learn from the 2016 Worlds process and try and bring in that audience in more effective ways for 2017.

I just don't think you can say this was a lack of marketing. Regionals was the hardest Halo has ever been pushed in terms of trying to get people to tune in for viewership. We might not have had T2 on Dr. Pepper bottles, but the word was out. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I just don't think you can say this was a lack of marketing. Regionals was the hardest Halo has ever been pushed in terms of trying to get people to tune in for viewership. We might not have had T2 on Dr. Pepper bottles, but the word was out. 

I admit it's possible I may be ignorant to the marketing effort, but can you provide examples? I basically only saw Waypoint and Twitter promotions, which are fine, but will only do so much for you without a larger awareness base. I'm suggesting that if Microsoft is serious about this whole eSports thing, they might consider cutting off a few pennies for some TV advertising shown to a targeted audience.

I admit it's possible I may be ignorant to the marketing effort, but can you provide examples? I basically only saw Waypoint and Twitter promotions, which are fine, but will only do so much for you without a larger awareness base. I'm suggesting that if Microsoft is serious about this whole eSports thing, they might consider cutting off a few pennies for some TV advertising shown to a targeted audience.

TV advertising would automatically turn the entire event into a break-even/loss situation. That shit's expensive as fuck and competitive Halo is not exactly lucrative, regardless of the reformed business model. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just chiming in about stream numbers. We have a long way to go but it's positive. I don't, however, have any faith in 343. I'm sorry but the execution for growing an audience is laughable. I also want to note that CS:GO was actually close to falling off the radar. If I remember, I watched a documentary on the topic and it was a culmination of the game being put on sale and it being streamed the same weekend as the Dreamhack CS:GO event that really gave it the push. If you look at it from another point of view, we have one of the best exclusives out in terms of event numbers. It's not even on the biggest platforms (PS4 and PC). It's an Xbox One exclusive. We have very positive numbers to show for that. One of the main streaming figures we should be focusing on is not "How many watch the final" but it's how many people stream the game when no event is going on. We should be doing everything to try and get it in the top 6. In the EU, it usually tops out at a maximum of 600-1000. We should also focus on how many people tune in over the course of an event. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

TV advertising would automatically turn the entire event into a break-even/loss situation. That shit's expensive as fuck and competitive Halo is not exactly lucrative, regardless of the reformed business model. 

Can't imagine those TV spots for the HCS before movies was cheap. 

Ran for a while too.

Ran for a while too.

Don't know anything about these. 

• Downvote (-1) 3

Staring at this for at least three minutes trying to see where this GIF begins/ends... It's perfect!

starts before he says maybe

If they're looking at profiting from 2016 HCS Worlds, they're not doing it right.

Edit: but I follow your point.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm having difficulty finding information on it, but can anyone explain to me how the HCS Prelims a couple days before the Finals work?

I'm having difficulty finding information on it, but can anyone explain to me how the HCS Prelims a couple days before the Finals work?

Outdated info

Ran for a while too.

That was such wasted money, I remember seeing it before Steve Jobs in theaters and was wondering who this was actually marketed towards.

• Upvote (+1) 3

T2 is in one of those nice jails. I saw him streaming the other day. Nice to know he's being treated well

all stream donations go towards buying yoga mats in the jail canteen.