CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

343 literally just said on reddit that a sandbox update is coming in april.

Which is the point I'm making? Nothing is changing until after Worlds.

Worlds: March 18-20

Update: Late (safe to assume) April

IMO, if something needs to change, people should talk about it then. People seem sick of reading sandbox balance in the HWC thread.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Super Smash: Same cost as Halo, just a different console

I'd like to interrupt this and take a second to point out that Melee in fact requires a CRT TV (which most people just trash these days) a $50 console that's found everywhere and a now overpriced disc due to excessive demand. It's in fact much cheaper and almost risk-free (theft-wise) to run a Melee tournament compared to Halo (a single Astro sound system exceeds the cost of a setup for Melee), but I still agree with the point you're making.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Which is the point I'm making? Nothing is changing until after Worlds.

Worlds: March 18-20

Update: Late (safe to assume) April

IMO, if something needs to change, people should talk about it then. People seem sick of reading sandbox balance in the HWC thread.

I think it's pretty unrealistic to expect nobody to talk about sandbox changes the day after 343 announces that they are making sandbox changes.

You don't understand.

By the time nV/WFX were scheduled to play the Group C standings were:

EG 2-0

Denial 2-0

nV 0-2

WFX 0-2

The series would have meant nothing because both teams were already eliminated.

No i do understand. Play the game.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 4

I'd like to interrupt this and take a second to point out that Melee in fact requires a CRT TV (which most people just trash these days) a $50 console that's found everywhere and a now overpriced disc due to excessive demand. It's in fact much cheaper and almost risk-free (theft-wise) to run a Melee tournament compared to Halo (a single Astro sound system exceeds the cost of a setup for Melee), but I still agree with the point you're making.

Smash is one of my least followed scenes in eSports, Thank you for providing me some knowledge that I previously did not know!

Never interrupt me again, peasant. <3

• Upvote (+1) 1

No i do understand. Play the game.

No, that's absolutely ridiculous. The other teams that didn't have a chance showed up, because the outcome of the match still affected how the group played out because of who they were playing against. Having 2 teams play when they have both already been 100% eliminated is a waste of everyones time and energy.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about...

I think he meant inaccessible as in LoL and Dota 2 are ridiculously effing complicated to new viewers, whereas H5 is more straightforward (people shooting each other)

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about...

League of Legends: Free to play on the most played console in the world, the PC.

CS:GO 15 bucks(7.99 on sale) on the most played console in the world, the PC.

DOTA: Free to Play on the most played console in the world, the PC.

StarCraft: 40-60 bucks on the most played console in the world, the PC.

SMITE: Free to play on the most played console in the world, the PC.

Super Smash: Same cost as Halo, just a different console

CoD: Most played FPS in the World on Console

Gears of War: Premier 3rdPS on Console

Fighting Games: Requires purchase of gear after purchasing console

How are any of these inaccessible? If you want to compete in a game, chances are...and when I say chances I mean 99% likelihood that you already own the game you want to compete in. Considering 3 of the top 4 competitive titles in the world are free and/or extremely cheap games on PC I dont really see how there is any argument that they're inaccessible. Not to mention that almost every competitive title on that list uses vanilla settings as their premier form of game play which is a strategy we're finally seeing Halo adopt and excel at. The only argument for inaccessibility would fall on the console argument, which i would counter by saying what I said earlier. Chances are, you're not buying a console IN ORDER to compete. You already own it, play the game, and then transition into the competitive stage.

Just because a game like LoL is free does not mean it isn't inaccessible. It is a very complicated, intimidating game. All of those games have insanely steep learning curves and very complicated gameplay. Excluding gears which is not as popular when it comes to esports as games like LoL and CS GO. COD uses different esports settings.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think he meant inaccessible as in LoL and Dota 2 are ridiculously effing complicated to new viewers, whereas H5 is more straightforward (people shooting each other)

First, This is where hiring effective casting talent comes into play. I love the casters in the Halo scene, I think they each provide their own flair and styles...but none of them hold a candle to the LoL or DoTA casters imo. Casters can be the difference betwen "Hey I'm going to try this game" or "What the actual fuck is happening".

Second, the map and game type played in competitive play is quite literally IDENTICAL to what you play casually grinding ladders or normals.

Lastly, the most played game in the world. Chances are you've already played once or twice before watching a tournament. But if you havnt, see step 1 and step 2.

Not arguing with you, pretty sure you were just explaining his stance...but I figured I'd counter point you anyway :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just because a game like LoL is free does not mean it isn't inaccessible. It is a very complicated, intimidating game. All of those games have insanely steep learning curves and very complicated gameplay. Excluding gears which is not as popular when it comes to esports as games like LoL and CS GO. COD uses different esports settings.

I'd agree with this. I've tried to teach my friend who works at Riot high level League and its incredibly complex. But I answer those points in my post above^.

Every game will have a learning curve to play at a professional level. Thats why there are professional tier players. The point is to engage those casuals, because those are your audience. Not the pro tier players.

First, This is where hiring effective casting talent comes into play. I love the casters in the Halo scene, I think they each provide their own flair and styles...but none of them hold a candle to the LoL or DoTA casters imo. Casters can be the difference betwen "Hey I'm going to try this game" or "What the actual fuck is happening".

Second, the map and game type played in competitive play is quite literally IDENTICAL to what you play casually grinding ladders or normals.

Lastly, the most played game in the world. Chances are you've already played once or twice before watching a tournament. But if you havnt, see step 1 and step 2.

Not arguing with you, pretty sure you were just explaining his stance...but I figured I'd counter point you anyway :)

Yes, LoL casters do a great job explaining things. But that is exactly my point. In LoL you NEED to explain things. There is this inherent depth to the game. With Halo that depth just does not exist unless the esports settings are deeper than default settings.

Without that depth, you just don't have a very interesting esport. A halo game that uses default settings lacks the depth, the meat to be a big time esport.

• Upvote (+1) 1

On a personal level, I'd like to see people dig up some sweet Forge maps that aren't remakes and that are good enough to be implemented across the board for Matchmaking AND competitive (so the competitive circuit doesn't have like 5-10 weird ass maps that people who don't search Team Arena/run GB/compete have never seen like in Reach). I do know that 343 is working on a symmetrical map in the next DLC, so there's that... but I think we could do more.

If this is done right, we'd get new maps that can be implemented in both the casual and competitive side (preventing the split and viewer confusion), some of which might be much better for Oddball and Bomb than existing ones, and we can also have TS maps that don't devolve into a stand still and snowball when one team loses control. Getting maps that aren't Rig or Eden TS would be a much better upgrade for "pacing" than radar changes (which seems to be the main complaint)

Same. The novelty forge maps get all the publicity but I'm sure there some unknown genius toiling away on a 4v4 masterpiece somewhere.

Also, a pro team member (won't name names in case he said something that might get him in trouble at work) stopped by the discord and dropped the :intel:* on maps that are in the pipeline. He seemed legitimately excited about them and was insistent that we would like them. He was the most hyped for one that is apparently "completely different from any other map." So there's that look look forward to.

* :intel: in this case means "vague unspecific hints"

• Upvote (+1) 2

So who has the best storm rifle shot after this weekend?

Huke.

No question.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yes, LoL casters do a great job explaining things. But that is exactly my point. In LoL you NEED to explain things. There is this inherent depth to the game. With Halo that depth just does not exist unless the esports settings are deeper than default settings.

Without that depth, you just don't have a very interesting esport. A halo game that uses default settings lacks the depth, the meat to be a big time esport.

I disagree. I just think that the default settings need to appeal to the competitive community which is why 343 made the correct move by creating the "pro team". I'm pretty convinced we're not going to sway each others opinions but regardless I've enjoyed this discussion very much so.

I disagree. I just think that the default settings need to appeal to the competitive community which is why 343 made the correct move by creating the "pro team". I'm pretty convinced we're not going to sway each others opinions but regardless I've enjoyed this discussion very much so.

Yep, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

but you're not going to sit here and tell me default H5 is exactly what the competitive halo community wants though are you?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Im sure every person that plays any of the "free" pc games has spent  more than $60 on it. I know I was when i was grinding PC games. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Im sure every person that plays any of the "free" pc games has spent  more than $60 on it. I know I was when i was grinding PC games. 

I have literally never spent money on a microtransaction of any sort and I have quite a number of hours in free games.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Quick  :intel: :

Changed my name from Glory to Pono.

Matches my gamertag and one of my real life nicknames now. Will also align with my first channel video release.  :ghost:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm sure that's not even close to true.

I've spent at least a grand on LoL skins and champions, around a grand on CSGO skins, and more than 2 grand on SWTOR :( Someone save me from myself!

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've spent at least a grand on LoL skins and champions, around a grand on CSGO skins, and more than 2 grand on SWTOR :( Someone save me from myself!

If you start buying REQ packs you can fund the pro league for the next few years!

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm sure that's not even close to true.

LoL has made over $1 billion. 

Heartstone makes close to $20 mill a month