CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Please...not the #adapt again...please.

Also, not as many flanks as we can possibly see if radar was turned off(which can help with those Fathom CTF stalemates.)

explain to me how not having radar would fix that?  what kind of god-flank are you going to make and not be seen on Fathom?

Stahppppp! Thats a question I have for Lethul in his spotlight!

:)

EDIT: On that [email protected]@LethuL Whats the best way to communicate for you? Beyond DM's, Email, Twitter DM's or Skype?

If its Twitter, mind sliding me a DM? Yours are currently closed.

Hahahaha! Sorry bud :kappa:
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Apologies for the quoted post but it hit send for some reason. If anyone could delete it then that would be awesome.

To say that "no one would care about Halo 5 if it wasn't for the HWC" is 100% accurate because that's the mission of this event, to drive interest for competitive Halo. It's also an incredible marketing initiative as esports has been a huge benefactor of marketing spends over the years. That's like saying no one would care about COD/DOTA/LoL Esports because COD Champs,The International, or even LCS are manually driving interest to the space, thorugh ev support, and it's not "organic". The truth is we're in an age where dev/marketing support is critical for an esport to succeed because the bar has been raised so high that there are no other choices that are viable for all parties involved in the long term.

I have the benefit of being able to work in the industry and see the trends and what could be "the next big thing" and Halo is doing a lot of things right. There is a core audience that enjoys watching Halo and there are people who enjoy playing Halo and so long as you continue to put it on a stage for people to do both of those then they will continue to invest time into it. There is never a 100% guarantee that anything being done works definitively but that's the risk everyone has to take.

Furthermore, making the experience accessible is so imperative to the core experience (believe it or not). I remember when League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth were both vying for people time and money and HoN was deemed the "most competitive" but that didn't matter because LoL was the most accessible and over time the number speak for themselves. Halo has a lot of uphill battle to fight but from this weekend to X Games and the upcoming HWC I truly believe we're in a great place for Halo to thrive for many years to come and it won't matter of radar is on or not.

giphy.gif

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Apologies for the quoted post but it hit send for some reason. If anyone could delete it then that would be awesome.

To say that "no one would care about Halo 5 if it wasn't for the HWC" is 100% accurate because that's the mission of this event, to drive interest for competitive Halo. It's also an incredible marketing initiative as esports has been a huge benefactor of marketing spends over the years. That's like saying no one would care about COD/DOTA/LoL Esports because COD Champs,The International, or even LCS are manually driving interest to the space, thorugh ev support, and it's not "organic". The truth is we're in an age where dev/marketing support is critical for an esport to succeed because the bar has been raised so high that there are no other choices that are viable for all parties involved in the long term.

I have the benefit of being able to work in the industry and see the trends and what could be "the next big thing" and Halo is doing a lot of things right. There is a core audience that enjoys watching Halo and there are people who enjoy playing Halo and so long as you continue to put it on a stage for people to do both of those then they will continue to invest time into it. There is never a 100% guarantee that anything being done works definitively but that's the risk everyone has to take.

Furthermore, making the experience accessible is so imperative to the core experience (believe it or not). I remember when League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth were both vying for people time and money and HoN was deemed the "most competitive" but that didn't matter because LoL was the most accessible and over time the number speak for themselves. Halo has a lot of uphill battle to fight but from this weekend to X Games and the upcoming HWC I truly believe we're in a great place for Halo to thrive for many years to come and it won't matter of radar is on or not.

Nobody said that 343 should just take the training wheels off of Halo and let it glide. Of course 343 should be sponsoring and organizing tournaments in the age of eSports. But Halo 5 would absolutely not be able to survive on its own right now without all the money being sunk into it - something that it was able to do with flying colors in the past, years before eSports was even a coined term. And the reason it would not survive is because they created Halo 4 + MCC, and mishandled H5's release in terms of content.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 11

If I'm really honest though, I will never forgive 343 for having a LAN so late, excluding X-Games. I just wanted to see how Lethul and EG would have performed and CLG with Orge2 on LAN. I actually wouldn't have really minded if Lethul moved after an event loss, maybe he would have stayed if they ended up winning it and don't get me wrong, current CLG are top 4 players right now but I never got to see what would have happened. Also, EG need to stop doubting. They can go toe to toe with anyone in this game. Nobody is actually better than them, CLG are just better more consistently, in my opinion. Everyone loves the underdog and they can win. So I hope they see this and put every waking second of the next couple of weeks in Halo. I know you will see this @@Towey and @@Snip3down.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

"A great tournament is run by 343 and it was a fun weekend!"

Halo 5 settings kids run in 

"Naw man your wrong. Everything you think is wrong, anything you thought is wrong, listen to me I am always right"

Oh can't forget that 20k is shit also. Btw anyone who just wants to give away 20k I am here it won't change your life i'll take it fam.

Kenny where were you this weekend? Thread gif game was strong.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hahahaha! Sorry bud :kappa:

Hahaha its all gravy. Its a good talking point. You've effectively just replaced one of the greatest players in Halo history who in turn did not qualify for Worlds. That has to have some sort of resonating fact around the team. I'm sure they're not too fussed as if they were, they wouldn't have done what they did. But maybe a pang of guilt? Who knows.

Either way, he clearly knows what he was doing and so did the team.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nobody said that 343 should just take the training wheels off of Halo and let it glide. Of course 343 should be sponsoring and organizing tournaments in the age of eSports. But Halo 5 would absolutely not be able to survive on its own right now without all the money being sunk into it - something that it was able to do with flying colors in the past, years before eSports was even a coined term. And the reason it would not survive is because they created Halo 4 + MCC, and mishandled H5's release in terms of content.

I agree with both Goldenboy and Lemon's words. 

All I have to say is that I still shake my head at a lot the small details in H4, MCC, and H5 that are missing. It is beyond comprehension how details like having a social playlist from the get go, showing medal screens, etc. get overlooked. Can they hire someone over at 343i that just has a checklist of things to include that the past 10 years of Halo have had? 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Double posting because I want to reference the Ninja and Lethul argument. Didn't they say settings were coming? Didn't they say they were going to offer support? I honestly didn't think it would get as bad as Reach. That should have been the experiment and then reverted back. I actually really love the movement system in this game but they completely trashed this franchise with Halo 4, MCC and the way they are handling H5. 

Halo is not going to visually "struggle" regardless of what you put in the game. That's just never going to happen. Of course, we're talking about a community that was perfect okay with Lockout TS games back in the day, so the measure of what people are willing to put up with is massive.

Radar is free information in a game that is about run-and-gun battles of physical ability. It creates stagnation when two players are aware of each other, and where only one is aware, we get corner-camping.

Advocating for radar in competitive play is like advocating for Promethean vision.

First of all, where did you hear this?

Secondly, all it does is punish people who try to make great flanks. Halo 5's inherently chaotic gameplay is a problem that can't be solved.

I think I'm a pretty logical/reasonable person, and I would argue that a) radar promotes engagement more often than it creates stagnation and b ) flanking is relatively unaffected (I mean, it's only 18m range and we see flanks all the time). BUT, we can take it to the PMs from here if you want to discuss more. I doubt either of us has the appropriate evidence to back our ideas, so I still think we're just saying things, but maybe we can have some constructive discussion and I can learn something new. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Radar vs No Radar

4shot pistol vs 5shot pistol

sprint vs no sprint

bloom vs no bloom

etc...

all examples of how halo isnt dead.  we all are passionate enough about this game to argue until we are blue in the face over this stuff. 

that is a great thing imo

• Upvote (+1) 2

Double posting because I want to reference the Ninja and Lethul argument. Didn't they say settings were coming? Didn't they say they were going to offer support? I honestly didn't think it would get as bad as Reach. That should have been the experiment and then reverted back. I actually really love the movement system in this game but they completely trashed this franchise with Halo 4, MCC and the way they are handling H5.

Are you really saying that having radar on in H5 is comparable to bloom in Reach? They're nowhere close in terms of competitive inviability.

I agree with both Goldenboy and Lemon's words. 

All I have to say is that I still shake my head at a lot the small details in H4, MCC, and H5 that are missing. It is beyond comprehension how details like having a social playlist from the get go, showing medal screens, etc. get overlooked. Can they hire someone over at 343i that just has a checklist of things to include that the past 10 years of Halo have had? 

I honestly think what has happened is that bungie added so many good features that 343 struggles to produce all of them and then add their own new things. So they pick and choose stuff to leave out. Its just unfortunate and predictable that we always get something like Breakout instead of Oddball for example. Feature wise Reach shit on H5. The only way they can compete is to take this engine that they made with Halo 5 carry everything over and then continue to build for H6.

For all the shit we gave bungie there are only a handful of developers for any platform that can compete with them.

• Upvote (+1) 3

For all the shit we gave bungie there are only a handful of developers for any platform that can compete with them.

The old Bungie, though. The new one is just a shell with the same name.

you guys think optic is gonna pick up TP?

they don't even have a team logo ffs

I kinda hope they don't. Sure TP qualified, but OpTic didn't get big by winning every tournament and picking up new teams when the old one lost. They got big by giving fans likeable (and for the most part stable) rosters that fans could relate to and follow through the ups and downs. Obviously the roster needs to have the potential to win, but I'm not convinced that TP will be any sort of powerhouse. Plus, and I don't mean this as a personal attack, but I don't think Hysteria or Cloud would be a good choice for the brand. I'm not super familiar with their history behind the scenes but from what I've heard and what I've seen on streams in the last few months their attitudes aren't really what I would be looking for if I was H3CZ.

Also, while I'm on the topic of OpTic...

Did anybody else watch Hitch's vlogs from the weekend? I'm not sure which one it was in, but at some point he was raving about how much fun he had at the event and how impressed he was with the Halo community. The part he was really hyped about was that the crowd was there because they loved the game as well as the players, which hasn't been the case in COD since at least Black Ops II. I don't follow COD very closely, and I always knew that the OpTic and FaZe fanbases are a huge part of why the viewership exists, but it made a pretty big impact on me being told by someone from that community that nobody is watching it for the game itself.

30K+ viewers without the OpTic juice is impressive when we normally don't break 3K on nights when the biggest streamers are streaming. It shows that the game is good enough to get people interested, and further drives home H3CZ's point about content. There's a lot that needs to be done, but the growth opportunities are there.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Kenny where were you this weekend? Thread gif game was strong.

I was watching the young meme masters get there time in the light I will be back for worlds  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 3

So anyone else a little disappointed we didn't get to see how Triggers Pound would fair against teams more around their level? The only teams of note that they played were EG and Allegiance and both those teams are on another level tbh. Would have liked to see how they would do on LAN before Worlds against Liquid, RNG, Noble or even nV. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Are you really saying that having radar on in H5 is comparable to bloom in Reach? They're nowhere close in terms of competitive inviability.

Never said that once in my post. What I am saying though for like the fifth time is we need a player committee. We should not have to sort this out. You know who should have to sort this out? The players who play the game, some for a living. I was actually pointing out the trash 343 put out but the players have be nice. I mean, look at Snip3down in the Halo 4 interview. He did what everyone would have or I hope, would have to save a game he loved and still to this day gets smacked for. Meanwhile, we have Lethul praising 343 for taking breakout out when he was the one openly trashing 343 over Halo 4. Obviously nobody is going to say anything bad with 2.5 mill on the line but my god, I do get some laughs from the people who make this game, I can tell ya. 

Hahaha its all gravy. Its a good talking point. You've effectively just replaced one of the greatest players in Halo history who in turn did not qualify for Worlds. That has to have some sort of resonating fact around the team. I'm sure they're not too fussed as if they were, they wouldn't have done what they did. But maybe a pang of guilt? Who knows.

Either way, he clearly knows what he was doing and so did the team.

Yep! 100%
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I know im the guy who said $250 was a big deal... But $20,000 would definitely not change my life in anyway besides not having to think about living costs for a few years. Visa could get the $280 i just spent back too, lol. And I guess i could maybe invest some of it somehow and make more money... But really, unless some investment turned into a few million, nothing life altering would happen with me.

On the other topics:

Lemon is definitely dick but he's right more often than not.

KillaKC never had any idea what he was doing, guy was worthless

Pistol needs a buff almost as much as the storm rifle needs a nerf. Whoever said the pistol was a non issue, *edited to say i very, very much disagree

Hopefully Roy & Box stay around, but i wouldn't be surprised is they retired in the near future. Do they not both have real careers? Or am i miss remembering? They got a nice bank roll and decent paying careers they probably enjoy. Just comes down to what they enjoy most at that time. Halo or their normal lives and careers.

Anyways; Happy post event Monday... lol.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 8

So anyone else a little disappointed we didn't get to see how Triggers Pound would fair against teams more around their level? The only teams of note that they played were EG and Allegiance and both those teams are on another level tbh. Would have liked to see how they would do on LAN before Worlds against Liquid, RNG, Noble or even nV. 

The consequences of not having double elim. I have this feeling that our top 8 really aren't our 8 best teams. So many times in the online events two teams would play for top 8 or top 16 when one of them was probably a 7th/8th and the other was a top 4. Then you get our regional tournament and you have things like two top four teams in the same pool. Pools of death. Pools of hilarity where two teams are guaranteed to go through etc. I don't even think TP would have been at worlds if they'd been in any other pool despite the fact that they probably are a 7th/8th seed in a double elim world.

• Upvote (+1) 1