CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I think the big thing to keep in mind is that Halo took a MAJOR hit with Reach, 4 and H2A collectively. Anything done now has to dig from the hole they buried as @@Moses_FPS noted. First we have to regain the seat we had, then we can grow more and more.

Each and every successful tournament with a great viewership is good, no matter what. How many of that 40k do you think were new viewers who enjoyed it and will be back? I know I have friends who came into the Discord chat this weekend who've never watched a Halo tournament and enjoyed it and plan on watching Worlds. Baby steps. Halo, League of Legends, CS:GO, Smash and all the other eSports titles didn't start with tens of thousands of viewers for tournaments. Its a gradual process that takes work, effort, money and community support.

dont put h2a with the other two. If anything, that started the resurgence

MLG settings were a consensus on the most competitive way to play the game. 

Factually incorrect. KillaKC was the dictator who made all the changes. While he certainly made lots of good changes, like you said, he made them by himself. We as a community had little input.

EDIT: I'm a noob and can't use the quotes correctly. My b for the multiple posts

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The Halo developers have done so much that's just wrong in the last six years or so, but when something like this event happens (and boy does stuff like this happen often), people are so eager and willing to absolve them, and seeing that makes me sick. People should be angry or at least stern, but they're not. 

Being pissed at what happened in the past and being in love with these tournaments and being happy we're seeing all the great moments are two different things. It doesn't have to be one or the other. 

I don't want Halo to fail. But I don't want to see it slumped over in a wheelchair with an IV in its arm, either.

The Halo developers have done so much that's just wrong in the last six years or so, but when something like this event happens (and boy does stuff like this happen often), people are so eager and willing to absolve them, and seeing that makes me sick. People should be angry or at least stern, but they're not.

Riveting.

MLG settings were a consensus on the most competitive way to play the game. They had the good sense to turn radar off, change settings between events, and remove shit that was broken like equipment (whereas 343 would've kept the regen field in play). Their only big sin was Killa KC and his unwillingness to consider more Forge maps in H3.

This. This so much. I've been openly critical about how 343 handle the eSports side. A couple of good events that were in all essence propped up by a die hard fan base and Call of Duty players who enjoy watching the game is not going to help Halo. I've said this a million times before but 343 DO. NOT. LISTEN. They reverted on Counter-Strike: GO, sorry, I mean Breakout, after the SnakeBite call out. I honestly think it would still be here had it not been for him. They are not open to change settings and very clearly thought they would have a top 3 game from little things as the CSR ranking system (That is shocking as you can't even get a game), the fact they have the HWC in March on top of numerous other mistakes. Copying the big three, LoL, CoD and CS:GO. Not an ounce on creativity from them. What they don't know though is that CoD took 5 years to develop. I remember watching CoD4 on the side stage while Halo 3 was in the limelight at MLG and laughing at their inferior format.

You want to fix it? Competitive playlist with agreed settings from a player committee. Once a month LAN (People used to live for those MLG days) or at least once every 2 months. Cups every weekend for professionals and amateurs. That's how you start it 343 but then, what do I know.. I'm just a dude on a forum, Kappa. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

What 20k can do is exactly what you say, helps pay rent, buy groceries and keeps the lights on. BUT for how long? 

Long enough to fix(or to start fixing) whatever it is you're doing wrong to be in a bad spot.  that = life changing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Factually incorrect. KillaKC was the dictator who made all the changes. While he certainly made lots of good changes, like you said, he made them by himself. We as a community had little input.

EDIT: I'm a noob and can't use the quotes correctly. My b for the multiple posts

He didn't do it alone though. If you were involved in helping him test settings, especially during Reach, you'd know there were a lot of people working on it and discussing it daily.

I get what this guy is saying. 20k is life enriching, but it's not going to change your life. You're still most likely going to live in the same city, with the same lifestyle, sane friends, etc. It will just be slightly better.

tumblr_mius0t6pGM1s4m09xo1_500.gif
What is this?

I just got married last Saturday. The cash gifts amounted to about 10k. Other than having a nice honeymoon and getting some peace of mind, that money did not change my life. It pretty much all went right to student loans and paying down my new car's loan.

Getting 20k would be awesome for sure. It's not going to fundementally change most people's lives though.

• Upvote (+1) 3

What is this?

looks like Wednesday Adams.  Probably signifying you killed the argument.

... you are such a douchebag.

If you "pretty much disagree with everything I said" in that post, I would consider you the douchebag here.

How many changes needed to be made in H3 besides map selection? The precedent carried over from H2.

BR starts, no radar, snipe/rockets/camo/OS on map, and we played the gametypes that worked. We even had the player damage slightly increased to compensate for the shit BR.

What did you want, competitive Grifball?

• Upvote (+1) 2

dont put h2a with the other two. If anything, that started the resurgence

I agree with you but the climb back to greatness could have been helped with a better mcc launch and more consistent tournament management early on.  

• Upvote (+1) 2

If you "pretty much disagree with everything I said" in that post, I would consider you the douchebag here.

How many changes needed to be made in H3 besides map selection? The precedent carried over from H2.

BR starts, no radar, snipe/rockets/camo/OS on map, and we played the gametypes that worked. We even had the player damage slightly increase to compensate for the shit BR.

Well we actually changed the damage settings, weapon spawns, adjusted map geometry, changed the player traits, spawn weapons and changed more or less all player spawns for every map. So it was pretty much everything that could be changed was changed :p

• Upvote (+1) 2

BR starts, no radar, snipe/rockets/camo/OS on map, and we played the gametypes that worked. We even had the player damage slightly increased to compensate for the shit BR.

Condescension - shocking come from Cursed Lemon.

No, I agree with most of the settings in h2/h3/reach. But whether I agree with them or not has little bearing on whether I was at the will of Big Brother. I had little say in the settings in h3, and I have little say in the settings in h5. In either case, it's a larger organization that is making the decision, not a community utopia rationally deciding on what's best for the game competitively. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

You do realize the average age of this site, right? A lot of us are college kids or just getting out of college. $20k just out of the blue like that can help you be set for life if invested correctly.

Imagine bubu dubu or Huke(who already probably has a good bit from CoD) winning that or more during worlds. They could be set for college if that's what they choose to do.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I hate to keep dragging this on but I feel like people are only thinking in terms of material possessions or something. I think $20,000 is a lot of money that can go towards some health issues or a surgery for a family member. That to me is considered life changing but I guess we're only talking in terms of ferraris and mansions.

I agree with a lot of what Cursed Lemon's points in his last few posts. Also Killa KC felt the heat from pros who thought all maps were complete ass except onslaught and amplified. Don't remember names but we played a few forge maps at lans to test out how they'd play. Nobody wanted to anything but pit CTF.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Complaints complaints complaints.....I just don't get it.

I watched some damn intense competitive Halo this weekend. 

Take these settings and issues with the game else where, this is getting old. 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 3

you guys think optic is gonna pick up TP?

they don't even have a team logo ffs

I feel like that would just be a super temporary move just so the Optic brand would be associated with worlds for the 5 seconds before TP catches a 3 - 0 from an actual top team. I feel like Hecz would be more interested in getting a long lasting team rather than just throwing his brand out there for a second.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well we actually changed the damage settings, weapon spawns, adjusted map geometry, changed the player traits, spawn weapons and changed more or less all player spawns for every map. So it was pretty much everything that could be changed was changed 8%20premium%20tongue%20out.png

And it was in that moment that we truly knew what pain was. Broken spawn zones, dirtied weapons, having to resort to a custom powerup...

Condescension - shocking come from Cursed Lemon.

No, I agree with most of the settings in h2/h3/reach. But whether I agree with them or not has little bearing on whether I was at the will of Big Brother. I had little say in the settings in h3, and I have little say in the settings in h5. In either case, it's a larger organization that is making the decision, not a community utopia rationally deciding on what's best for the game competitively.

Except one of these organizations actively worked with the players (people ground games with KillaKC all the time, and even before that everything was community-driven), while the other consults a "pro team" behind closed doors and doesn't reveal anything about their thought process for stuffing terrible features into the game and not relenting on bad settings.

The one is nothing like the other.

20000$ worth of soda can buy 2.7m calories worth of sustenance.

That's 1350 days of sustenance assuming 2k cals/day.

If having food costs covered for 1350 days isn't "life changing", I don't know what is.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 11

I feel like that would just be a super temporary move just so the Optic brand would be associated with worlds for the 5 seconds before TP catches a 3 - 0 from an actual top team. I feel like Hecz would be more interested in getting a long lasting team rather than just throwing his brand out there for a second.

that's an excellent point, probably won't happen

i'm just starved for those optic views  :simms:

@@NavG123 can you stop being an ass? thanks

• Upvote (+1) 3

I agree with a lot of what Cursed Lemon's points in his last few posts. Also Killa KC felt the heat from pros who thought all maps were complete ass except onslaught and amplified. Don't remember names but we played a few forge maps at lans to test out how they'd play. Nobody wanted to anything but pit CTF.

I remember NaStY having a complete meltdown on the MLG forum over their unwillngness to try other maps besides godawful Onslaught and Amp. It was pretty damning. lol

• Upvote (+1) 1