CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Btw, Huke and Bubu need to start streaming ASAP. I respected Huke's talents during AW, but now I'm a fan of the kid. Bubu dubu should also push his brand because watching people in twitch chats post "bubu take my dubu" had me dying of laughter. 

and i'm not sure if huke is gonna be more active streaming but here's his twitch channel http://www.twitch.tv/hukefps

https://twitter.com/Moses_FPS/status/701793967696961536

• Upvote (+1) 8

Btw, Huke and Bubu need to start streaming ASAP. I respected Huke's talents during AW, but now I'm a fan of the kid. Bubu dubu should also push his brand because watching people in twitch chats post "bubu take my dubu" had me dying of laughter. 

This, hes so relatable because some of those viewers are his age and stuff like that, also hes a young gun so hes a big deal. Id love to see that. Huke and Bubu showed up this weekend.

Also, contra regularly gets 50-100 viewers in his stream, definitely check his stream out too.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Huke played like a young Ola this weekend. He was incredible difficult to kill and did an amazing job staying alive in situations he should have died.

Let's be real.... is that really a "life changing" amount of money? The obvious answer is no.

Obviously people are in very different positions in their lives. So it could be life changing for some people.

But me personally? When I think "life changing" 20k isn't even close.

Having an extra 20 G's would be amazing. But I'm sure I would either finish paying my student loans or update my kitchen. Both aren't too life changing.

OT: the tournament was great. Didn't catch too much of Sunday but the first 2 days were cool. I'm interested to see how the foreign teams compete.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The point is that Halo was never "on top of the world"; we all have nostalgia goggles and MLG lost money every year until 2012.  It was a bubble with relatively low viewership, never breaking 35k.

I'm pretty sure you can't call the HCS/HWC a money-making juggernaut if Microsoft has to pony up a million dollars in addition to dirty micro-transaction money in order to even generate interest in competitive Halo in the first place. As I said, if that money didn't exist, competitive Halo would not exist right now. Maybe MLG wasn't a profitable venture in the long run, but they were able to hold huge LANs multiple times a year with absolutely zero developer support, much less a huge cash dump from one of the richest companies in the world. Those tournaments were held because people loved Halo, not because of an artificial motivator.

Does it matter? I guess not. But people shouting "#WeBack" apparently have no idea where we were in the first place.

I think you're underestimating how high attendance would be If there were a giant H5 LAN announced in the Midwest ... the only MLG H4 event had a ton of people despite that game being terrible.  Plus people don't really go for competition, they go to hang out and have hotel LANs etc.

This last event was held in Columbus.

Columbus.

That's a traditionally huge Halo hotspot. Literally the only place I could see selling out higher would be Meadowlands. So where in the "midwest" would you possibly hold a more lucrative tournament?

Dallas did not have a "ton" of people in attendance. It had a "ton" of viewers because it was a Halo 4 reveal, just the same sort of thing that had a bunch of people tuning in to watch Optic's Halo team and then clicking away when they lost.

Which goes right along with the point I'm making - whether or not the new business model is more efficient, modern interest in competitive Halo is subsidized.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 5

Such a weird definition of "life changing money" in this forum. Just because you say it doesnt make it true. 20k is FAR from life changing LMAO.

That equates to under a $10 an hour job. Any one in the world with a full time gig making $9.50 per hour (barely minimum wage) is going to bring home $20k.

Please explain again how $20-25k is life changing? That is one of the most ludicrous things I have ever heard.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 30

I'm hoping if some pros win enough money 1 or 2 of them could quit their job and even look into streaming/youtube full time.

Would be great to see!

I can see this happening if the pro league after worlds has enough money in it.

Such a weird definition of "life changing money" in this forum. Just because you say it doesnt make it true. 20k is FAR from life changing LMAO.

That equates to under a $10 an hour job. Any one in the world with a full time gig making $9.50 per hour (barely minimum wage) is going to bring home $20k.

Please explain again how $20-25k is life changing? That is one of the most ludicrous things I have ever heard.

I suppose 20k is life-changing on top of your already normal income. However, if this is someone's only job then it's not that great of a year.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Being able to suddenly drop a down payment on whatever house you want is fairly life-changing.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I think it's assuming the players all work right now and don't game full time. So that would be 20k to spend not on rent food etc and also all arrive at once so can be put towards a house or pay our student loans or just invest it. I would argue it is life changing as you are giving someone over a year or two years worth of saving in one go in my eyes thats massive.

• Upvote (+1) 1

20-25k at once is huge

20k would get me a car and back into college, 20k is a standard down payment on a home

yeah you can work 40 hours a week for 52 weeks or you can earn that in one weekend 

most of these guys work, believe it or not, halo isn't their only source of income 

Just because you say it doesnt make it true

i'd suggest you take your own advice 

• Upvote (+1) 4

A lump sum of 25k is much different than a minimum wage job spread throughout a year. Either you are filthy rich and ignorant to how the world works or you are trying to look internet cool.

With 20k all at once you can invest or use it as a down payment on something akin to a house to stop living in an apartment and losing that money forever for example and start actually using that money to pay off a home instead. Getting ahead of the curve of your spending and bills has many benefits. With the right investments, and if you're willing to wait until you're much older, 20k can also bring back over 10 times its value easily which would allow some people to retire years earlier. 

I was thinking: Is it possible that Contra and Devon feel some resentment for Bubu and Huke getting all of the fame. Can that affect their play?

• Downvote (-1) 2

I came in here ready to discuss competitive Halo today, and all I see is talk about money. Now I'm so bummed out.

Is there a discussion thread on prize money?

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I was thinking: Is it possible that Contra and Devon feel some resentment for Bubu and Huke getting all of the fame. Can that affect their play?

no it cant

I came in here ready to discuss competitive Halo today, and all I see is talk about money. Now I'm so bummed out.

Is there a discussion thread on prize money?

well with $20K you might be able to purchase your own Halo build with multiplayer settings catered to your every opinion.   :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'd hope not.

well with $20K you might be able to purchase your own Halo build with multiplayer settings catered to your every opinion.   :kappa:

won't be able to buy players, though :kappa:

How is it not life changing? I guess if you're an idiot and 100k in credit card debt than sure, but that's your own fault.