CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Excited to see Puckett back in the booth, even just for nostalgia sake.

Sad about no Simms casting but I hope they can get him out to the event anyway. If not crowdfund to get him there please.

I have an idea to solve the radar problem

So 343 has radar in competitive for two possible reasons. One is that they want competitive settings to be the same as MM settings. The second is to balance sprint.

If it is for the second option a good balance I have is to make it so shooting and regular walking doesn't show up on radar. It would allow sneaky plays without having to crouch around and would still punish people for sprinting around.

If it's for the first one then I really don't see why as competitive settings have never been MM settings and there isn't really benefit to having it that way.

I still think the best thing to do is completely remove radar because a team with good teamwork should be able to punish people sprinting around.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I didn't expect my comments about Bravo not being there to be so negatively received. Do people really enjoy his casting or is it just because I worded it abrasively? I just find him so dry and unexciting.

Also, I hope at some point we get Goldenboy and Puckett in the booth at the same time. Charisma for months.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I have an idea to solve the radar problem

So 343 has radar in competitive for two possible reasons. One is that they want competitive settings to be the same as MM settings. The second is to balance sprint.

If it is for the second option a good balance I have is to make it so shooting and regular walking doesn't show up on radar. It would allow sneaky plays without having to crouch around and would still punish people for sprinting around.

If it's for the first one then I really don't see why as competitive settings have never been MM settings and there isn't really benefit to having it that way.

I still think the best thing to do is completely remove radar because a team with good teamwork should be able to punish people sprinting around.

i like that idea,  have radar only show up for people sprinting. would work well i think

• Upvote (+1) 5

EGs practice the past week has definitely been on the lower end of what I'm used to seeing from them in terms of time put in and focus.

I'm glad they got handled tonight. Need to step up before regionals.

CLG is definitely the most impressive team right now if we're looking solely at practice. Handedly winning scrims every night.

i like that idea, have radar only show up for people sprinting. would work well i think

if I remember right they originally had it that way but they found that no one used their abilitys so not to show up.

I respect the guy immensely, he just bores me as a caster. Halo community would be much worse off without him at 343, no doubt.

I didn't expect my comments about Bravo not being there to be so negatively received. Do people really enjoy his casting or is it just because I worded it abrasively? I just find him so dry and unexciting.

Also, I hope at some point we get Goldenboy and Puckett in the booth at the same time. Charisma for months.

I think Bravo has a lot of good analysis insights, and he's good at stating them quickly before the game moves too far past whatever he's talking about. I also like the dynamic a bit more when only one half of a casting duo is bringing the charisma. When both the play-by-play commentator and the color commentator are being goofy it pulls some focus away from the game in my opinion. I thought Bravo and Benson was a good combo at X Games because Benson would get excited and hyped up by a play, then Bravo would bring it back down to earth with some serious analysis. It's a better flow in my opinion, fun without becoming a comedy act. I love the Goldenboy/Walshy dynamic, but during a game I'd rather have Walshy paired with someone more serious/straight shooting to balance out the Walshyness.

It also mildly annoys me when casters don't stick to either play-by-play or color commentary. Walshy especially sometimes tries to do both and talks over his partner. Benson is really good about sticking to play-by-play. Really all I have are small complaints, everyone that has been in the booth for HWC so far has been excellent.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah I wouldn't want Goldenboy/Puckett in the booth every time, I'd just like to see it happen once for the hilarity that would ensue. I agree that one guy bringing the charisma is enough.

To be fair I haven't had the chance to watch much of Bravo's casting with Benson, so who knows, maybe he's a lot better with him. All I know is I really got sick of him being paired with Goldenboy in H2A.

if I remember right they originally had it that way but they found that no one used their abilitys so not to show up.

I prefer that to people crouch walking so as to not show up.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Huh?

Edit: People still think eLevate isn't a top team?

To be fair, eLevate has struggled greatly the past 2 weeks compared to how they were doing before that. It seemed to me (until last night) like every team had caught up to them, which was their advantage before - having been paired together for longer than most teams and therefore being more practiced. Last night was questionable for me though, not sure what to think now. Maybe they were in a 2-week slump, or maybe they just caught EG off guard and tilted EG real early. That's what it seemed like to me watching Towey's stream last night. Their communication + his comments made it seem like it was just "one of those days". For all I know, eLevate just flat out beat them and just had a bad last couple weeks.

I know a lot of scrims happened tonight, has Tormented posted any scores?

Not this again  :wutface:  . I work 6PM-430AM Mon-Tues and 6AM-430PM Fri-Sat. The other days my sleeping schedule is just fucked up as it is because I'm trying to figure out wtf to do. Pros think their sleeping schedules are bad, try that schedule out ;) I'll post them when I post them. It's always sometime before the next days scrims start. Only missed one day so far. I'll have them up sometime in the next few hours.

love this post. i completely understand people love to look at online w/l and kdr but at the end of the day it means squat as x-games proved

i think nV need a team LAN

All X-games proved is that scrims were completely accurate about how teams would do for the most part. CLG/EG beat everyone in scrims and finished top 2. Renegades beat everyone in scrims other than EG/CLG/Allegiance and finished top 3-4. Allegiance beat everyone in scrims except EG/CLG and finished top 3/4. Liquid was getting beat my most teams in scrims and got 5-8. Dream team was getting pummeled by everyone and therefore got pummeled by everyone (except Penta who most agreed wasn't the best choice from Europe). Everything played out exactly like anyone who was paying attention to scrims would have expected.

What did xgames prove? Allegiance was the best online, but those players have never won and aren't as proven, and they did well but got 3rd while having a close series with EG. I also don't think they played their best that series but still did well. CLG and EG were the next best online and both were doing well, and had a really close series. Renegades was doing pretty well and beat liquid easily who had been struggling, which it showed. To a certain point you don't want to take scrims as a complete comparison to how a team will do, but to say there's no correlation and they should be ignored is stupid. If a team is getting shit on badly online, you can't just have blind faith and assume they're going to be a completely new team. People see what they want to see though so I understand. 

Of course, @@LethuL beat me to it. Scrims aren't going to predict EXACT placings, but they'll get you very close in most cases. Just like regular season games in NFL/NHL/NBA/MLB won't determine EXACT placings in the playoffs, but will get you very close in most cases (I use regular season in traditional sports because it's a much more accurate representation of eSports - this is where teams try to win but also work on things so that they're fine-tuned when they make it to the playoffs - or Tournaments in eSports).

it proved 2 things - epsilons better than renegades aaaaand you're a dumbass   :kappa:

So you're scrims actually are a great representation then, because Renegades beats most teams most nights but always has a stinker every 3-4 scrims where they just tilt and lose to far inferior teams. The second part of that statement though, I can get behind  :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 4

It is very possible EnVy won't make it out of their pool. I hate to sound like a broken record, but EnVy are scrimming dT right now, and Ogre2 had 0 kills on Coliseum TS for most of the game. I can see him getting dropped if they don't make it to Worlds. Love the guy, but it's time to hang up the sticks. Put some new blood on this squad and they'll be a top2-3 team.

nV haven't played on closed servers yet. Ogre 2 clearly has a tough time occasionally on slayers, but its hard to replicate the leadership and smarts he brings to a team. Honestly I can understand CLGs decision to make the move although I didn't like it, but Ogre 2 is still a top tier player in this game and I am very curious to see how nV performs at regionals. I don't really see any way they lose to Denial / WFX and not make it out of their pool.

People are very quick to react to stats and results from scrims the night before. You have to think big picture....

I'm super excited to watch the beyond tournament. I'd imagine we get to watch some super sweaty games between the pros.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You guys put waaay too much emphasis on winning scrim games.

Scrims are about practice. Not wins/losses

Sounds like ALG lost some scrims last night.

• Upvote (+1) 4

We've definitely been struggling, but it's because we're trying to pinpoint our issues.

We were playing better on objective gametypes when we played as fast as we possibly could, but it made us at bad at Asym Slayers. So we preached to each other about slowing the game down. Since then our slayers have been significantly better than before, but our objective have taken a pretty big hit. Thus making our scrim results look pretty bad. Just gotta figure out the middle ground for Objectives and we should be okay. Here's to hoping  :)

Trust me, it's not fun looking average to everyone since the beginning of the game, but things haven't necessarily been kind to Ola and I since day 1. It's been a stressful ass few months for the both of us, and our gameplay definitely has taken a hit at times. Sometimes we shine through though and we see our true potential, but consistency is key.

Always keeping it real, I appreciate that.

Even if you got shade in your blood. :simms:

Is someone streaming the Beyond tournament?

--

In terms of EG losing scrims last night: They don't reveal their true power level all the time. Same with CLG. The top tier teams sometimes play at only 80% or are working on specific strategies. Commonly needs to work on his mental game a little bit, the guy won a gold medal so I'm sure it will be ok.