CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Hopefully if EG and CLG get home early enough today we will some scrims. 

I think @@LethuL is still out searching for that Snow Bunny.   :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 5

I agree with him. I see both sides of it equally having formally been a college recruit and serious athelete before finding my competition fix in gaming. I just feel eSports needs it's own Xgames if you will. A all eSports biyearly event that gives medals away like an XGames but strictly for eSport accomplishment would be so dope to spectate

Not sure if anyone watched Optic Big Tymer's video where he talked about the "video games don't belong at the x-games" comments. See below if you're interested in that debate.

There are multiple problems here.  Would I love to see something on on the level of say the Intel Extreme Masters for games like Halo and CoD?  Yes, that would be awesome.  International circuit, legitimate amounts of prize money, self-sustaining organization, etc.  But its not at that level yet.  The only way to get to that level is to reach a "Critical mass" of involvement and viewership.

For the time being where these games don't have their own World Series or Super Bowl that is actually available for public viewership that people can "stumble upon" the X-games is the closest event that is appropriate for exposure.  It started as being branded "action sports" which is really just a euphamism for "alternative sports".  basketball, football, hockey, soccer, lacrosse etc etc etc all have plenty of "Action".

The problem with her argument is that video games getting medals in no way diminishes her accomplishments. They're clearly separate and the requirements are different, but the level of competition, knowledge and practice time that goes into getting to the very top is just as high.  Gamers also have to multi-task incredibly well which you definitely do not need to do with the other "Action sports" at the Xgames.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I love formal's streams tbh.  Too bad his CoD team is too filthy, maybe at some point he can do both.

Imagine if Formal joined EG instead of commonly.  omg

Did EG release their Q and A video yet?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Did EG release their Q and A video yet?

Was wondering the same. Hopefully it comes out today

Lethul says 6-4 in map count but does the third map of pool play really count to anybody if 2 EG members weren't playing for 30 seconds? CLG members were saying that they wanted to play EG in the finals in part because of that inconclusive series.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Winning when it matters is the most important thing in tournaments.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Regionals and finals will be best of 5, right?

Can't wait to see which team comes out on top, and there's no way to argue that EG or CLG is the favorite.  Would love to see other teams get in the conversation, too. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The map count shouldn't be brought into the discussion of whose better at this tournament. EG won the series that mattered, nothing more, nothing less.

Completely agree with you and Atp. Pool play is especially irrelevant given that EG wasn't facing elimination from the winners bracket. I'm just pointing out that by Lethul's own logic it should be 5-4.

• Upvote (+1) 2

There are multiple problems here.  Would I love to see something on on the level of say the Intel Extreme Masters for games like Halo and CoD?  Yes, that would be awesome.  International circuit, legitimate amounts of prize money, self-sustaining organization, etc.  But its not at that level yet.  The only way to get to that level is to reach a "Critical mass" of involvement and viewership.

For the time being where these games don't have their own World Series or Super Bowl that is actually available for public viewership that people can "stumble upon" the X-games is the closest event that is appropriate for exposure.  It started as being branded "action sports" which is really just a euphamism for "alternative sports".  basketball, football, hockey, soccer, lacrosse etc etc etc all have plenty of "Action".

The problem with her argument is that video games getting medals in no way diminishes her accomplishments. They're clearly separate and the requirements are different, but the level of competition, knowledge and practice time that goes into getting to the very top is just as high.  Gamers also have to multi-task incredibly well which you definitely do not need to do with the other "Action sports" at the Xgames.

I still dont think console or PC titles belong at the X-Games, just as much as BMX does not belong at the Regionals or HWC, but I appreciate how well thought out and clear your points were and I'm struggling to find an argument.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Is there a better way to find standings and other information on the other HWC Regions?  Thanks to Simms, Wonderboy, and others we have a fair bit of insight into the UK and some of the European scene.  But I want to know more about Asia, Africa, Latin America, and ANZ.  It's difficult to navigate the respective ESL sites and find clear information.

This whole tournament is supposed to be showcasing the skill and passion of halo players all around the world and we're still here hoping for an EG/CLG finals at worlds?  I'm completely down for seeing the absolute best halo played on the biggest stage but at the moment there is are so many teams out there that we know so little about and instead of writing them off I want to get to know them before I can categorize their skill relative to the region I know best.  

Edit: And to be very clear I want to see the best halo played.  If that happens to be 8 NA teams in the finals bracket then so be it and if we see teams from around the world moving out of group play by showing off some impressive worldly halo then even better. 

And on that note...GO USA!

jennyhatchcom.gif?w=645&h=425

• Upvote (+1) 3

Regionals and finals will be best of 5, right?

Can't wait to see which team comes out on top, and there's no way to argue that EG or CLG is the favorite. Would love to see other teams get in the conversation, too.

As of right now pool play at regionals is bo3. Pro players say they're working with 343 to make it bo5 though. So we'll see.

• Upvote (+1) 1

HCS Twitter with the Pro Content Support!

Ripping content from stream and making youtube content isn't really content. If people want your gameplays and streaming they will watch your stream. Honestly lazy attempts at youtube are worse than no content.

Just play and record the film and give a little intro or tell a story about something. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 36

Ripping content from stream and making youtube content isn't really content. If people want your gameplays and streaming they will watch your stream. Honestly lazy attempts at youtube are worse than no content.

Just play and record the film and give a little intro or tell a story about something. 

Not really being lazy, since some people miss streams. It's more of a highlight from a stream. But still, I see where you are coming from.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Some Halo fans don't have time to constantly be on call to watch a pro's stream, and don't have the money/time to subscribe and watch 5 hours of gameplay every other day.  Giving fans a fun game ripped from the stream every now and then is pretty cool and worthwhile, imo. It's certainly not lazy or "worse than nothing".  

Would additional more personalized content be great too?  Sure, but I don't see why it has to be one or the other. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not really being lazy, since some people miss streams. It's more of a highlight from a stream. But still, I see where you are coming from.

Yeah maybe lazy wasn't 100% the right word. If he does a voice over explaining gameplay or just even a 30 second intro as to what the clip is and about, I think it shows a lot more effort

Yeah maybe lazy wasn't 100% the right word. If he does a voice over explaining gameplay or just even a 30 second intro as to what the clip is and about, I think it shows a lot more effort

As a fan of twitch over youtube, I much rather appreciate seeing the player's reaction to the play they just made and their mindset going into the play than a post rationalized review of their own gameplay.  Some streamers even have a twitch chat feed scrolling on their screen so you can see chat's reaction to the plays as well.  When all that get's packaged into a nice youtube video highlight of reasonable length it becomes a really enjoyable experience.

I'm with you though about including something of a quick intro.  I know some time back Randa got on the content grind and was doing exactly what I described and giving a short 30 second intro to the video as a set up and it was very successful.

These last chance qualifiers will be really exciting. Won't lie -rooting for Optic all the way.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Out of curiosity how long does it take you to do this?

I have to search each team to see if they played. If they didn't, I say a quick thank you prayer to God Almighty and move on to the next team. Then it me simply like you see above. Type score, copy and pasta link. Probably a total of like an hour of my day on the heaviest scrim days. Usually closer to 30 min.

Where it gets real time consuming is adding it to my database, which I've fallen behind on. That post above would probably take about 3 hours, maybe? It's all manual, but when it's done it's very nice having the raw data to filter and sort by any criteria.

• Upvote (+1) 5