CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

whats the issue there? He explains that he did that in CoD and it worked out very well.

i just don't like how he (if what i said is the case) pretty much gave up on this HCS season. i'd rather see them try and win and worry about youtube content later. i guess you can say i'm a little biased too. i found out about optic from watching competitive halo, not youtube.

I know I'm a little late regarding growing the Halo scene through content, but I think a lot of people (including Hecz) are comparing Halo to CoD a bit too much in regards to how to grow it. Sure, Halo is very similar to CoD in that it is a console FPS that is generally viewed as being a casual game however that doesn't mean that its eSports scene is identical to CoD's. Content is definitely an integral part of growing a community, but there are so many people promoting that "the Optic way" is the only way to grow the scene.

The competitive Melee scene is a fantastic example of how to grow a community. The scene was basically dead in the late 2000's but it has become hugely popular (100,000 people tuned in to the finals of the most recent major tournament) now because of the players and the storylines. If you want to see a nearly perfect example of how to create engaging eSports content through exploring players/storylines, watch the Smash Brothers Documentary (it's very long but if you watch even a little you'll get the idea). Some other great examples of content are GRSmash and other Youtube channels that create highlight videos that I personally find downright addicting in a Buzzfeed sort of way. The tournaments for Melee are also extremely well produced. The commentators are entertaining and insightful and the overall graphics are fantastic. Melee tournaments also have several events, such as singles, doubles, and crews. This is something Halo tournaments have done in the past to a degree and it's something I think we should look in to doing once more. These are things that many other popular eSports, CoD included, do as well.

I'm not trying to say that everything that Melee or CoD or any other eSport does will work for Halo, rather I'm trying to prove a point that we should look towards all eSports for inspiration on how to produce content and grow the scene. One thing Hecz says that is undeniably true and what is the key for success in any eSport is the importance of making the audience care about the players and emphasizing the storylines of the players. As one of the oldest eSports around this is something that should be a HUGE asset for our growth as a scene and instead I hardly see any content regarding it. If people want to see the scene grow then they need to make people invested in the players first and foremost. This will allow for continued storylines and other content based around those players (for example, someone could create a video on the history of Royal 2 and Snakebite as a duo or a top 10 video of the nerdiest Ryanoob plays).

Sorry for the long rant but tl;dr: We should be looking to all eSports for inspiration on how to grow our scene and the driving force of eSports growth is player investment.

EDIT: Just realized @@Vetoed made an extremely similar post a few pages back but hopefully I expanded on his point a bit.  :bman:

• Upvote (+1) 2

LAN would help for that - i cant even host a 2v2 LAN across the street much less a 1,000+ spectator event

iron gaming daytona was a prime example of why our grass roots scene is almost impossible to build again. ask any of the organizers, it was a disaster on the technical level. the fact that they finished the event was impressive as hell. proverb, voodooman and the rest of that crew deserve a lot of credit for the headache that weekend was for everyone..

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

They did totally shit on us by removing LAN. Said the Xbone couldn't do it. Then Gears gets it kind of... The idea that the Xbox one couldn't support LAN but can connect to the wider network of Xbox live is also probably a lot of bullshit. Actually its not even a "probably" kind of thing. If it doesn't work its because they're specifically making sure it doesn't.

They did totally shit on us by removing LAN. Said the Xbone couldn't do it. Then Gears gets it...

People say Gears has LAN, but their tournaments still go down when Xbox Live does.

People say Gears has LAN, but their tournaments still go down when Xbox Live does.

That would be due the XBone forcing a check to the Xbox servers before it allows itself to function if I had to guess. The lack of lan is just a call back to when the xbox one was going to be online only for everything and a piece of the master plan to make everyone hate them. Its basically DRM to prevent XBC and the like from functioning

That would be due the XBone forcing a check to the Xbox servers before it allows itself to function if I had to guess

Which is exactly what MCC did, what Call of Duty does and what Halo 5 would have had to do.

They did totally shit on us by removing LAN. Said the Xbone couldn't do it. Then Gears gets it kind of... The idea that the Xbox one couldn't support LAN but can connect to the wider network of Xbox live is also probably a lot of bullshit. Actually its not even a "probably" kind of thing. If it doesn't work its because they're specifically making sure it doesn't.

As someone who works and has a degree in computer networking...I don't think you understand a lot of what goes on to make these tournaments work. 

And I am skeptical of Gears using LAN. It probably just uses an isolated network for tournaments but it's still going external so it's not LAN.

That would be due the XBone forcing a check to the Xbox servers before it allows itself to function if I had to guess. The lack of lan is just a call back to when the xbox one was going to be online only for everything and a piece of the master plan to make everyone hate them. Its basically DRM to prevent XBC and the like from functioning

Unfortunately. Now instead of pushing the industry foward we are stuck in last gen when it comes to media/infrastructure. The family sharing ability with the original design was epic. 

As someone who works and has a degree in computer networking...I don't think you understand a lot of what goes on to make these tournaments work. 

And I am skeptical of Gears using LAN. It probably just uses an isolated network for tournaments but it's still going external so it's not LAN.

Unfortunately. Now instead of pushing the industry foward we are stuck in last gen when it comes to media/infrastructure. The family sharing ability with the original design was epic. 

I probably worded it poorly but I do understand what you're saying and its why I threw the "kind of" part onto their LAN. Its really more of a complaint to how Microsoft setup the Xbox One in its entirety to disallow a real LAN among other things.

I probably worded it poorly but I do understand what you're saying and its why I threw the "kind of" part onto their LAN. Its really more of a complaint to how Microsoft setup the Xbox One in its entirety to disallow a real LAN among other things.

I get why people say this, but the people who are upset over the lack of LAN make up probably like 1% of console owners. Dedicated servers are the future not LAN. LAN caters to the hardcore for select titles. And for competitions it only benefits in person events. Dedicated is far superior than host for anything online.

That said the hardware obviously supports it. But there are some back-end changes that have to be made probably with the developer tools to allow a game to interface with XBL on LAN. So it could still happen but I can't imagine it's a priority.

LAN would help for that - i cant even host a 2v2 LAN across the street much less a 1,000+ spectator event

iron gaming daytona was a prime example of why our grass roots scene is almost impossible to build again. ask any of the organizers, it was a disaster on the technical level. the fact that they finished the event was impressive as hell. proverb, voodooman and the rest of that crew deserve a lot of credit for the headache that weekend was for everyone..

Any specifics on it? Pretty curious on the problems it occurs. Is it just the no LAN thing?

@@Brutality I've never heard that song, but it was a good choice. I enjoyed that.

On another note: I've got 10 pages of interview to sift through and format between @@Vetoed and @Kephrii from 15th seed OverDrive.

I'll have the first Pro Player Spotlight out by the weekend on the Beyond Forums.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I'm in cinci till August, isn't the MLG arena in Columbus?

I was gonna go :(

Why is it so limited...

You should still try to go if you can. ESL's Burbank studio for season 2 finals was small as well because in essence it's a production stage. But tickets were made available and the event was still great with about 100 or so spectators there. Just be sure to get your tickets when they're made available.

You should still try to go if you can. ESL's Burbank studio for season 2 finals was small as well because in essence it's a production stage. But tickets were made available and the event was still great with about 100 or so spectators there. Just be sure to get your tickets when they're made available.

Is anybody here even going?

Ogre 2 be watchin' XGames like C09JMHd.jpg

(Didn't realize resolution was so huge, if you know how to downsize mods, please do.

Also, source has a bunch of photoshopped versions great for future Ogre 2 memeing)

• Upvote (+1) 6

@@Brutality I've never heard that song, but it was a good choice. I enjoyed that.

On another note: I've got 10 pages of interview to sift through and format between @@Vetoed and @Kephrii from 15th seed OverDrive.

I'll have the first Pro Player Spotlight out by the weekend on the Beyond Forums.

Thanks man. Song is "Luca" by Brand New

• Upvote (+1) 3

does anybody else switch from players pov to the halo channel when the tournament is on?

i can't stand the communication sometimes because i can't get a grasp of the whole game and why certain plays are made when watching from just 1 persons perspective

Any team that has a org behind them should have a org halo twitch channel where they allow the coach to spectate and rotate between the teams players explaining to the viewers about the things going on in-game. this will allow new viewers understand the callouts and watch multiple povs while also allowing them to watch the game in a more sports kind of way.

for example :

channel name : EGHalo

Commentator or Spectator : Coach Towey

Channel name : CLGHalo

Commentator or Spectator : Coach whoever

Channel Name : NVHalo

Commentator or Spectator : Diesel

This way of advertising will allow the teams / orgs to grow, in turn increase the viewers on pros when they stream by themselves.

Was seriously going to fly from ny to columbus just to watch the HCS but guess ill pass up on that with such limited seating. what a bummer

• Upvote (+1) 2

does anybody else switch from players pov to the halo channel when the tournament is on?

i can't stand the communication sometimes because i can't get a grasp of the whole game and why certain plays are made when watching from just 1 persons perspective

Any team that has a org behind them should have a org halo twitch channel where they allow the coach to spectate and rotate between the teams players explaining to the viewers about the things going on in-game. this will allow new viewers understand the callouts and watch multiple povs while also allowing them to watch the game in a more sports kind of way.

for example :

channel name : EGHalo

Commentator or Spectator : Coach Towey

Channel name : CLGHalo

Commentator or Spectator : Coach whoever

Channel Name : NVHalo

Commentator or Spectator : Diesel

This way of advertising will allow the teams / orgs to grow, in turn increase the viewers on pros when they stream by themselves.

Was seriously going to fly from ny to columbus just to watch the HCS but guess ill pass up on that with such limited seating. what a bummer

That's a great idea.