CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Hey everybody! Just an update on the Pro Player Spotlights I mentioned lightly last night.

I've interviewed Vetoed and Kephrii from OverDrive for Pro Player Spotlight number one. They both fill me in on upsetting Liquid, dropping(and picking back up Kephrii), and clinching 15th seed at Regionals. I'll be posting the spotlight in the near future and really hope its something you guys want to see more of. I'd love your feedback, criticism, and thoughts. If you've got suggestions of who you'd like to see interviewed next...please send them my way!

• Upvote (+1) 7

He said that the Halo pros can't count on developer support to grow the scene. They need to take responsibility themselves to grow the scene and community and not to expect anything to be handed to them.

Pretty good little rant. I don't see how anyone could not like Hecz.

Wholeheartedly agree. Hecz is too good to be true.

• Upvote (+1) 8

For those who didn't watch nV vs CLG the overall record probably doesn't do justice to how they performed. They had a bunch of close games while a couple certainly got away from them. They should have closed a few games out where they led but ended up losing. Those are things they will learn and improve on as they play together over time. 

Honestly the team has a ton of potential and if they put the time and effort in will certainly be in the top 4 mix (or better) for worlds. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Besides C9 remember CLG doing poorly in almost every online qualifier yet still being in the finals in every h2a tourney but one? If nV shows up to regionals and gets beat like they have been online I'll change my tune, until then I will continue to take online results with a grain of salt.

I agree. Look at how everyone is doubting Allegiance even though they've done amazing online. Why can't the reverse be true for nV? I was a fan of that Team Randa/Winterfox squad that did incredibly online winning pretty much every scrim, most in dominating fashion. Then they got 4th at their first event together, which isn't bad but definitely below people's expectations.

The truth is events are a different beast than online, and I hate to admit it as an AE fan but it's true. Pros aren't in the comfort of their own home anymore. For a lot of players that affects them.

There has always been players that are noticeably worse or better at events. Literally every player on nV is an example of a player that tends to do better at events than online. Am I saying they'll suddenly clutch up and win regionals? Not really. But I am saying that it won't surprise me if they got top 3/4 just based on the players on that team.

Also just because nV doesn't really stream doesn't mean that Pistola/the rest haven't been grinding. It's the Optic fallacy.

Tl;dr If you're going to doubt Allegiance because we haven't seen them on lan, then you shouldn't doubt nV because they haven't been great online.

• Upvote (+1) 5

He said that the Halo pros can't count on developer support to grow the scene. They need to take responsibility themselves to grow the scene and community and not to expect anything to be handed to them.

Pretty good little rant. I don't see how anyone could not like Hecz.

You forgot that his video also encouraged dogfighting  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's kind of what towey was saying.  Everyone before when Halo was king didn't think it would ever stop growing and they thought they had unlimited opportunities to come.  Then it stopped, and now its back and the pressures on to take advantage of it because it might not be around some day.

It's kind of what towey was saying.  Everyone before when Halo was king didn't think it would ever stop growing and they thought they had unlimited opportunities to come.  Then it stopped, and now its back and the pressures on to take advantage of it because it might not be around some day.

It's mixed, like when Halo was at it's best (2002-2009) we had MLG Forums, Myspace, Photobucket and Mythica. When the Halo franchise started to "falter" there was Youtube, Facebook, Instagram, Reddit and Twitter now available.

Really bad timing, but still there should have been more done.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You forgot that his video also encouraged dogfighting :kappa:

And now there's coffee on my phone screen. Thanks a lot.

I agree with Hecz 100% but Halo came from a different time in my opinion. Just think, in 2005 when H2 was on the scene, Youtube JUST started, we were using AIM to talk to people, not twitter. These platforms still werent as huge as they were by H3 either. I feel like the CoD scene had a lot of benefits and the scene definitely used it to their advantage. They had the excitement of a new style of game on console, epsorts in general, and the rise of youtube and twitter. 

Pretty sure its been beaten into the ground, but we all know the content from pros is scarce and also their involvement in the community can be distant. I know some have tried and quit due to "nobody caring" which i dont blame them i guess. I still just believe we came from a different time period. Like in Halo, you play 10 hours a day, then showed up to the tournament and got your placing, and that was it, thats all that mattered. Its a very scrappy, raw scene IMO, and thats why i love it. It was all about winning, and not about your "content" or "followers". 

Times have changed though and ive used this metaphor about halo and esports: basically there was a giant spaceship taking off that was esports, all these games were inside, ready and taking off with it, but Halo, something that had already been pioneering console esports, which should have been sitting first row in the space ship, tripped and fell on its face as it was taking off and is now hanging on the wing as its flying. 

This more than ever should have been the perfect time do what hecz said and get into the content stuff, but at the same time, it comes back to my original points- there is going to be a ~2.5 million dollar tournament, no time to make videos when your teammates are sketching, and you need to be as practiced as possible. Tough situation. Everything is there but i guess its for whoever is willing to step up. Weve got awesome streamers in Naded (rip), Ninj, Snipedown, Heinz was doing good. Just need to get some 'tubers. 

I'll add on to what hecz says. Not only is it about the players building up the community, but it's also about building up the new younger talent. These new faces will carry halo if we want it to last & we should be more accepting. Seeing a kid like Danoxide get a chance is awesome and I think he's gonna hold his own weight with thr support of 3 other veterans.

• Upvote (+1) 3

He Says its the Pros fault for the lack of viewers 

And this is absolutely true, and it's not that likely to change as it is currently. The top team up to this point (AE) doesn't stream and doesn't really interact with the community. The biggest legend the game has ever had, who was on the #2/#3 team, didn't stream much, doesn't post content and doesn't interact with the community a ton. The current supposed top team in CLG (except for its newest member) doesn't post much content, and their streaming is inconsistent and sporadic. So never mind putting out entertainment or educational content - a significant number of the best players don't promote themselves and people don't see them play.

Regarding the latest Hecz video about the Halo scene... He's kinda wrong. He doesn't have the greatest knowledge about Halo. I don't think it is solely 100 percent on the players to gain momentum in the eSports scene with fans/players content (though it is for sure a factor). It definitely starts with the game itself and 343i. Halo 2 was so successful with limited YouTube content and basically no streams back then (besides tournament content) because it was a great competitive game. The scene has obviously fell off because of Reach and H4.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 10

Regarding the latest Hecz video about the Halo scene... He's kinda wrong. He doesn't have the greatest knowledge about Halo. I don't think it is solely 100 percent on the players to gain momentum in the eSports scene with fans/players content (though it is for sure a factor). It definitely starts with the game itself and 343i. Halo 2 was so successful with limited YouTube content and basically no streams back then (besides tournament content) because it was a great competitive game. The scene has obviously fell off because of Reach and H4.

He's kinda not wrong though.

The scene has to support itself first and foremost. This is essential. Halo 2 was from a different time period. Halo built itself without social media because social media wasn't really much of a thing back then. But it is now and what's that saying? You have to adapt bruh.

• Upvote (+1) 4

And this is absolutely true, and it's not that likely to change as it is currently. The top team up to this point (AE) doesn't stream and doesn't really interact with the community. The biggest legend the game has ever had, who was on the #2/#3 team, didn't stream much, doesn't post content and doesn't interact with the community a ton. The current supposed top team in CLG (except for its newest member) doesn't post much content, and their streaming is inconsistent and sporadic. So never mind putting out entertainment or educational content - a significant number of the best players don't promote themselves and people don't see them play.

Because they have huge egos, they don't come here to talk to the plebs. They don't care about the plebs opinions. They don't post on Reddit either. Somehow Ogre2 have missed the biggest opportunity of his life, could you imagine what the ogre brand could have been. He could have been our HotshotGG our Reginald. But no, the GOAT barely have a few hundreds biewers.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I thought it was spot on.  Halo 2 worked because it was a different time.  Now that those opportunities (streaming, YouTube, twitter, etc.) exist and people are utilizing them for other wildly popular games, Halo won't get that sort of growth/popularity moving forward without its most prominent players doing the same. 

Edit: @@Ethereal Nights already said pretty much what I'm getting at.

So who is everyone's favorite dark horse picks to make it past the HWC NA Regional Finals? I'm thinking WFX, although I wouldn't be surprised to see Triggers Pound, Elevate or Denial advance to the Prelims. Overdrive would be a pleasant surprise, but I don't quite think they will be able to pull it off.

Cod scene grew despite MW3, Ghost, AW.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

I didnt watch the whole video, I got to about 4:40 and realized, fucking H3cz knows what he is talking about. If this scene is going to grow to be even half of what it once was, these players have to start marketing themselves to a larger audience. people arent just going to randomly care. 

I think it was plusminuss who posted last night that Summit a cs:go pro, was playing H5 for 15k people. So I went to dudes stream (forgive me for never having heard of Summit) and was reading his chat and people were generally interested in getting the game and learning the game. That proves that the audience is out there they just have to be informed. Just because your name is snipedown or ninja or whomever doesnt mean much to the droves and droves of esports viewers outside of the halo world.

Fucking market yourselves better please. Youtube is crucial to the success of the game. 

It's not just the players tho. It's the game too. Kinda hard to want to put in that much effort when you're developers are fucking up the game you used to love to play. 

Someone like me who used to play Halo everyday just doesn't really care about the game anymore. It's not what it once was. It's almost a completely different game

• Upvote (+1) 1