CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I just think unions tend to complicate things more than resolve issues.  It also seems childish to say 'I'm not playing this game until I get my way.'  Compromise has to come from both sides not just from 343.

And don't forget HWC is still a large marketing tool and showcase of the game as somebody else posted earlier.  Radar, breakout, etc are all still in the 'competitive' settings because it is how the game shipped.  I'll be willing to bet a post HWC pro league will be much more in tune with classic halo gametypes.  

It goes both ways, its also childish to blatantly ignore pro player feedback. The HWC will be a huge marketing tool no matter what settings are played, so why not make them atleast semi competitive? 

Unions are not bullying or childish, they exist in almost every aspect or large company in the real world. They lead to compromises, and a fair playing field for all.

Oh well, wont happen anyways. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

If Maniac can play like H2A Maniac then I can definitely see the new OpTic at least being competitive against top teams.

Yea, Maniac always impressed me when I watched him in H2A.

Speaking of H2A, how nice is it to have more than 3 maps in rotation these days  :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Speaking of H2A, how nice is it to have more than 3 maps in rotation these days :simms:

Unpopular opinion I prefer those 3 maps to what we have for Halo 5. I can't stand the way Halo 5 maps play at all.
  • Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Unpopular opinion I prefer those 3 maps to what we have for Halo 5. I can't stand the way Halo 5 maps play at all.

Nothing wrong with the maps. It was just the fact there was only like 3.

It got super hard to sit down and watch a BO5 series with 3 maps let alone trying to watch a tournament.

Nothing wrong with the maps. It was just the fact there was only like 3.

It good super hard to sit down and watch a BO5 series with 3 maps let alone trying to watch a tournament.

Yea watching was really painful especially when they would have the same map consecutively. I don't know why they didn't even try to space the maps out at all.

exist in almost every aspect or large company in the real world. They lead to compromises, and a fair playing field for all.

This really isn't the place, but that is completely debatable. If you don't think so you haven't experienced it.

Speaking of H2A, how nice is it to have more than 3 maps in rotation these days  :simms:

At least in H2A all of the maps were actually different, not the same maps but different looking.  :simms:

But seriously it's nice having a lot of maps.

This really isn't the place, but that is completely debatable. If you don't think so you haven't experienced it.

Experienced what?

Experienced what?

Being apart of a union. Or running a union. Or dealing with unions.

I have and my family has had extensive experience as well. But I'm not going to go into it, because it's not the place.

So back to Halo

It goes both ways, its also childish to blatantly ignore pro player feedback. 

I'm with you about 343.  They get way too defensive about feedback from the community. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I honestly don't understand what you are saying. And I'm not going to pretend like I know everything. But it has been discussed here by people with more direct knowledge and connections to the tournament and that is how they explained it to me.

It says;

It makes sense to me.

Seeds determine the order in which teams are drawn from the pools into the groups.  If teams knew exactly what groups they would be put into and therefore the teams they would be playing, it might promote some sort of unfair play in order for a team to steer themselves into the least difficult group.  A random draw of teams into groups ensures there is no bracket manipulation.  They will likely do a 'live draw' on stream

How is a players union "bullying". You know every sports league and multiple eSports leagues have these, right?

You see it in the NBA and NFL with salaries all the time. Ever hear of a lockout? if no NFL players show up = No NFL games. Which leads to compromises and progress.

Halo pros have no weight if 343 decided to not do the tournament, they all be scrambling. The pros don't even bring the viewers. The only pros that have some weight might be Snipedown, Ninja, Lethul, that maybe can live off streaming. The rest would all retire.

I have experienced it, and I think unions do more good than bad, but both sides are capable of abusing their power. 

But yeah, back to Halo  :intensifies:

@@CyReN @@Saucey

Is it technically possible to make a thread with a poll that ONLY pros can vote in (Anonymously of course) on whether they want breakout removed or not?

90% of us that I know us really hates Breakout...

Thinking about it now, I cant believe they didn't put oddball in. Its like if H6 randomly decided not to have capture the flag any more. 

I hope when they introduce it, we can test it out and maybe have it for season 2

Interesting that they pushed Strongholds instead of KOTH aswel. 

Admittingly I was a huge KOTH Construct fan back in H3

• Upvote (+1) 1

Seeds determine the order in which teams are drawn from the pools into the groups.  If teams knew exactly what groups they would be put into and therefore the teams they would be playing, it might promote some sort of unfair play in order for a team to steer themselves into the least difficult group.  A random draw of teams into groups ensures there is no bracket manipulation.  They will likely do a 'live draw' on stream

I really don't think this is the case. Maybe someone can contact MLG/343 and get an answer.

But in the handbook is says

Regional Finals

■ February 19-21
■ 16 Teams
Seeding = Top 15 Based on Points, LCQ winner = #16
■ Round Robin Group Play
● 4 Groups, 4 Teams per Group
● Top 2 Teams from each Group advance to Bracket and HaloWC Finals
■ Single Elimination Bracket

So to me is sounds like Groups are based on seeding from the Online Qualifiers (based on points) + LCQ 16th place.

The only issue I've had is it doesn't explicitly say which seed goes into which Group, but after talking with others it seems there is a standard way this is done in all sports already. So it would make no sense for it to be different.

In each Group (A, B, C, D) you play the other 3 teams in your group. Bo3 format. Top 2 teams move onto a single elimination bracket.

And per this piece of the handbook

Regional Finals

Group Stage
● Each Group Stage match during Regional Final competitions will be best-of-3 matches

Bracket Stage
● Each match until the Semi-Finals at each Regional Final competition will be best-of-5
● The Semi-Finals and Grand Finals match will be a best-of-7

Bracket stage is single elimination, Bo5, until semi-finals when it is Bo7.

I believe the Bracket play is to seed those 8 teams from Regionals for Worlds.

Did they? I just tuned in that last game. Was it close or?

The funny thing is I remember seen a video by these guys and they said they dont lose many slayers as they are the best 4 slayers in the UK.

Epsilon for sure will put up a good fight. The buks are good.

Im afraid of whats going to happen the Asian team. It could be embarrassing. Like 50-0 embarrassing

Well if players like vexation from Japan come over.. I can see them possibly not get steak..other than that, I can totally see the 50-0

Group Stage needs to be a Bo5. Group Stage is the most important part of Regionals because it determines who is going to worlds. A series with a slayer and breakout is not a good way to determine who the best teams are.  

• Upvote (+1) 7

About time they release the Renegades announcement. Been biting my tongue for over a week

Group Stage needs to be a Bo5. Group Stage is the most important part of Regionals because it determines who is going to worlds. A series with a slayer and breakout is not a good way to determine who the best teams are.  

Agree. And it wouldn't be that much extra really. Limited teams already.

To wait until Bracket Stage to go to Bo5 seems like a major oversight.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Ya, that is the single biggest issue right now. Biggest halo tournament of all time by a very long ways and its the absolute worst format of all time. It's a joke

• Upvote (+1) 2

I honestly don't understand what you are saying. And I'm not going to pretend like I know everything. But it has been discussed here by people with more direct knowledge and connections to the tournament and that is how they explained it to me.

It says;

It makes sense to me.

The bolded part says that the team with the highest seed in a group will be called team A. It does not say that the highest seed will be in group A. So if Group 1 is seeds 1,7, 12, and 15, then seed 1 will be Team A in Group 1, seed 7 will be Team B in Group 1, seed 12 will be Team C in Group 1, and seed 15 will be Team D in Group 1. You seem to be interpreting it as saying seed #1 will be in Group A, seed #2 in Group B, seed #3 in Group C, but this is clearly not at all what it says.

Edit: All that said, MLG has announced the groups and they do go 1,8,9,16; 2,7,10,15, and so on, so they were not randomly drawn.