CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

OK so let  get this straight. CLG beat EG last night

Yes. Went the full 5 games, very good series.

People like to see Kobe miss 15 shots a night nowadays so...

Hah.

Here's the thing I never understood with eSports: your average sports fan can comprehend that Jordan at nearly 40 (or Kobe today) clearly isn't a top player anymore.  It doesn't tarnish their legacy by stating the obvious.  Your average sports fan isn't going to argue that Kobe today is still better than Steph Curry when he quite clearly isn't.

eSports? Its like people stick their heads in the sand and like to pretend like their hero's from 10 years ago are still as good as they once were.  There were numerous people on here who were seriously arguing that CLG's problems pre-Cloud being dropped were caused by Royal 2 and Snakebite.  Seriously.  The two players who were clearly head and shoulders above their at the time teammates.  There are people on here who literally probably believe that a player like Gandhi could just pick up the controller again and start dominating with a little practice.

The Pro's who actually play this game KNOW that this isn't the case.  I've seen Ace say on his stream that players like Frosty would still be elite had they been around for H3, yet "new talent" is almost looked down upon as a BAD thing by the general "fan" who spectates at home with so many of these fans downplaying these new players.  This is hurting the scene; its the exact opposite of what you want for further growth: you need to build up the next waves of young stars who will carry the mantle moving forward.  That is how every sport in the world works.  Tom Brady and Peyton Manning aren't going to carry the NFL forever.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm interested in seeing which "top pros" actually want to keep Breakout. The only teams I can think of are Allegiance and any lower seeded team that knows Breakout gives them a better shot at winning. If every single pro doesn't understand how this gametype is not very competitive then they probably shouldn't speak on the matter. It's not an opinion that Breakout is the worst competitive gametype we have ever used in Halo it is a fact. I don't count ricochet because it wasn't played at a tourney right?

@@CyReN @@Saucey

Is it technically possible to make a thread with a poll that ONLY pros can vote in (Anonymously of course) on whether they want breakout removed or not?

• Upvote (+1) 3

In what way? Are you saying the hunger isn't there? Or he's just too old?

I dont buy into age as a factor, I think that is completely overblown. Its e-sports not real sports. 

It comes down to this with 2gre, today, in H5, there are just better players than him. Its really that simple.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I've heard he plays quite a bit actually. He doesn't always play on main tags though.

Just what I've heard.

Ola hasn't been playing from what I have seen. besides from what he has posted in the past him and his dad are not getting along well.

Im sure this has been said time and time again, but if they dont want to remove breakout they should just fix/alter it slightly. They just need to remove starting off with nades and have them on the map. This would fix those shitty hail mary situations.

Or they can put a timer on when you can throw your nades like they do in COD, say like after 15-20 secs.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm not going to speak on Og2 vs Lethul but I think for him it was the right decision. The contrast in play was evident, I was watching his POV through most of it and I thought he was playing really well within the team, the pace they were playing at when they took off was insane. Looking at the stats since I don't even know what the hell everyone else was doing, just a hurricane of death with Lethul anchoring the madness. The personality difference is evident as well; watching both streams before, during and between games EG were going war and CLG were just bantering with GARY every other word, just night and day.

@@CyReN @@Saucey

Is it technically possible to make a thread with a poll that ONLY pros can vote in (Anonymously of course) on whether they want breakout removed or not?

Yes. 

But it is not going to matter. They wont get rid of the game mode for HWC. 

The HWC is a marketing tool for Halo 5, stripping game modes that they heavily promoted pre-launch does not make sense from a marketing standpoint. Even if every pro said they hated it, they would not remove it until after HWC.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Im sure this has been said time and time again, but if they dont want to remove breakout they should just fix alter it slightly. They just need to remove starting off with nades and have them on the map. This would fix those shitty hail mary situations.

Or they can put a timer on when you can throw your nades like they do in COD, say like after 15-20 secs.

I'm just surprised I haven't seen a team randomly not go camo on Gambol and just setup a firing squad for whoever does peek the camo one round. It would be hilarious.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ola hasn't been playing from what I have seen. besides from what he has posted in the past him and his dad are not getting along well.

"What you have seen?" He doesn't stream. I just said I've heard him and the people that play with him say he isn't playing on his main tag.

So how would you have any clue how much/often he plays? Do you know him?

Ogre 2 is on the same journey as just about every top level athlete goes on.

Bursts onto the scene as the new kid on the block. Makes a name for himself. Gets an incredible amount of success, breaks all kinds of records. And his final few years he spends at the top, not necessarily the best in the business anymore but someone still very capable.

I know we all love to compare the players to other NFL or basketball legends to make out point. But im from the EU and I know nothing about them sports.

So here is my Soccer/Football comparsion. Ryan Giggs. Made a name for himself as one of the greatest of all time playing for united. Played until he was 40. Was he always one of the best wingers in the world towards the end of his career? No. Will he still be remembered as the GOAT? Yup. 

Ogre 2 was the best player in a number of Halo's imo. Is he the best in H5? No. Is he the worst? No. Can he hang with the rest of the pro's? Of course he can.

We need to stop caring so much about the fact Ogre 2 isnt in the top 3 players anymore. And just appreciate that the greatest halo player of all time is still around and hanging in the top 4 teams

giphy.gif

I honestly attribute this mindset just to FPS followers.  Daigo and Justin Wong have been in top tier of the FGC tournament scene for 10+ years and nobody counts them out due to age, Hell Daigo just took second at PSX Capcom Cup and he is in his 30s.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yes.

But it is not going to matter. They wont get rid of the game mode for HWC.

The HWC is a marketing tool for Halo 5, stripping game modes that they heavily promoted pre-launch does not make sense from a marketing standpoint. Even if every pro said they hated it, they would not remove it until after HWC.

Can we still make the thread though based saucey? :prayers:

"What you have seen?" He doesn't stream. I just said I've heard him and the people that play with him say he isn't playing on his main tag.

So how would you have any clue how much/often he plays? Do you know him?

Ola doesn't play at his house, his internet is terrible, they were talking about it when Arkanum was streaming last night

Can we still make the thread though based saucey? :prayers:

It really won't change much, and it might not even get that many pro players to vote. I think I had like 10 players vote in the H2A Award Thread we did last year.

At this point, it's too late.

I dont buy into age as a factor, I think that is completely overblown. Its e-sports not real sports. 

It comes down to this with 2gre, today, in H5, there are just better players than him. Its really that simple.

there is always a bigger fish. however, under extreme amounts of pressure even the greatest of players can suck it up 

guess who stays the chillest? 

When someone is trying to compare Ogre 2 on CLG and Michael Jordan on the Wizards but you run out of Neg rep

giphy.gif

lmfaooo

• Upvote (+1) 3

Ola doesn't play at his house, his internet is terrible, they were talking about it when Arkanum was streaming last night

I know. It was also said that he has been playing on other tags and that he has been putting in a lot of time. My point is people that say he isn't playing don't really know that.

I think this is definitely an instance of a loud group of people denouncing the gametype, where the people who actually like breakout/are indifferent don't really bring it up. And there are a lot of pros who don't stream/use a lot of social media so their opinions on it probably aren't public. 

Exactly, this is just a case of 10-15 high-volume TB posters hitting F5 all day and complaining about Breakout at any given opportunity (along with a few pros on Twitter who don't practice the gametype enough).  

I'm mostly indifferent; I think it's somewhat fun to play, somewhat fun to watch, is reasonably competitive but should be tweaked, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I am such an idiot when it comes to posting images, charts, copy/pasta so I am not capable of posting my Excel image, etc. BUT I ran some quick data on damage dealt and I'll sum up the info.  Essentially I am interested in a damage dealt to death ratio.  I think this is a stronger predictor of team skill than K/D because it accounts for kills, assists, AND simply one's ability to constantly weaken opponents--obviously best if one is able to weaken the opponent AND stay alive (hence the death ratio). For the most recent EG vs CLG series:

(Damage/Deaths):

Snipedown 9817/63 = 156

Roy 9408/60 = 157

Commonly 9187/60 = 153

Lunchbox 8609/65 = 132

Royal 2 9905/41 = 242

Snakebite 10382/54 = 192

Frosty 10082/57 = 177

Lethul 9847/63 =156

On average, Royal 2 dealt 242 damage per death--almost 100 points higher than any player on EG's squad.  That's pretty significant.  What do you think of the validity of this stat?  I'll spend some more time providing data if I get some positive feedback.

Definitely an interesting stat. Hard to say the validity of it though. In my opinion it just tells you who is the most aggressive player in a series of games. Damage obviously doesn't always translate to a kill, but it does tell you who is in the best/most aggressive spots to be getting damage in, which in itself is interesting.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

the drive to play could be more relevant tho. He clearly has the iq for Halo. It could be the game. 

Age isn't a factor in gaming. Daigo is in his 30's and is still arguably the best player in the world in Street Fighter where execution and reaction timing is important.

giphy.gif

I honestly attribute this mindset just to FPS followers.  Daigo and Justin Wong have been in top tier of the FGC tournament scene for 10+ years and nobody counts them out due to age, Hell Daigo just took second at PSX Capcom Cup and he is in his 30s.

JUst used the Daigo example than saw your post. Age is irrelevant for the most part. I think it's the hunger that makes the player great. Daigo still really enjoys SF. It seems like Justin Wong tho isn't feeling it as much as he used to tho which is why we still see Daigo place high at tournaments and Justin Wong not so much. Tho he's always a threat to anyone