CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

so remind me how it is a good comparison in the first place

Are you really saying that Ogre2 is still at his peak? Hell, I'm not sure he would agree with you after having to ice his wrists after the previous cup.

I think the Wizards MJ comparison is actually pretty apt, as long as we're using it correctly.  Let's not get it wrong- Wizards MJ was still VERY good at basketball, he just couldn't quite carry a bad team in the same way that he previously may have been able to.  Similarly, 2gre is still very good at Halo, he's just not the best player in the game any more.

If CLG felt they could get even marginally better by replacing the GOAT with Lethul, it's hard to condemn them for it. I understand that there should be a respect factor in play here, but with $2M+ on the line, it becomes a little less about niceties/etiquette and a little more about business. That's not to say it was entirely disrespectful; that would be very dependent on how they communicated his release to him.  

Additionally, none of this is to say 2gre's skill set still doesn't belong on a top 8 team; based on what I've seen it very much does. However, one team made a business decision that they felt gave them incremental likelihood of winning life-changing money. It sucks, but if the popularity of eSports/Halo rises, we'll see things like this more and more.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm new to the forums. Are they always this dead during the week?  :weback:

:weback:  :prayers:  :weback:  :prayers:  :weback:  :prayers:

If CLG felt they could get even marginally better by replacing the GOAT with Lethul, it's hard to condemn them for it.

It also gave them a chance to break up EG! 

I'm new to the forums. Are they always this dead during the week?  :weback:

Things start getting :flames:  at night.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What are you guys talking about?

EnVy:

- Team Beyond 4v4 Tournament: Won

- Qualifier #1: 2nd place

- Qualifier #2: Out in 4th round because of the broken rules, which DQ'd them from APG lagging out.

- Qualifier #3: Top 16 finish losing to Elevate. Disappointing, but expected with the little practice they were doing.

- Qualifier #4: Top 8, lost to EG

- Qualifier #5: Out in 4th round after complete roster overhaul. LifeStyle/BabyJ aren't bad players. Still to an extent, disappointing.

I think yes, if you expected them to be Top 2 before the season, it's kind of a disappointment. But, looking at how the team got derailed from lagout issues and little practice time, I'm fully surprised they were still able to get the #6 seed.

Other teams in these crappy situations didn't fair nearly as well (see Optic, not Top 15. Winterfox, 14th place).

And this is a roster that imo, can definitely contend for Top 2, if given practice time.

They have still underwhelmed given the high expectations everyone had for them, regardless of the circumstances.

o i wasnt aware of all the HCS H5 majors!

giphy.gif

Well talking about 2gre being some LAN monster on a game that has never had a LAN seems weird to say the least. Because he placed well during previous titles certainly does not mean he will autoMagically place well in this brand new and very different game. 

But I forgot, Ogre2 is the goat and they sell his piss as champagne in eastern European countries  :wutface:

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 7

Josh Holmes posted this in the H5 thread regarding Breakout

Bottom of the most played playlists is popular? Lol k

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I find it incredibly hard to believe that the majority of pros wanted Breakout to stay.  

I personally haven't actually seen a single pro say they want breakout.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Glad he actually addressed this.

Two former greats still competing well past their competitive primes.  It is a great comparison, although a bit extreme as obviously decline in a real sport like basketball is much realer (Jordan was nearly 40 in a sport that requires high levels of athleticism).

• Upvote (+1) 1

Two former greats still competing well past their competitive primes. It is a great comparison, although a bit extreme as obviously decline in a real sport like basketball is much realer (Jordan was nearly 40 in a sport that requires high levels of athleticism).

People like to see Kobe miss 15 shots a night nowadays so...

I don't think I've ever seen AE lose a breakout in the OQ's (I could be wrong). They seem very strong on the gametype. I really doubt they would want it removed since it's pretty apparent they spent a lot of time practicing it. 

RNG is also a team that seems to win a lot of their breakouts. 

I think this is definitely an instance of a loud group of people denouncing the gametype, where the people who actually like breakout/are indifferent don't really bring it up. And there are a lot of pros who don't stream/use a lot of social media so their opinions on it probably aren't public. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Two former greats still competing well past their competitive primes.  It is a great comparison, although a bit extreme as obviously decline in a real sport like basketball is much realer (Jordan was nearly 40 in a sport that requires high levels of athleticism).

In what way? Are you saying the hunger isn't there? Or he's just too old?

Just finished watching the rebroadcast. Dam AE really threw away that strongholds game and had a nice lead in G5 at one stage. Wish the NA tournaments started earlier so I could see the finals before 3 in the morning..

EDIT: Remove breakout, add ball or bomb. Easy.

I don't really think pros get worse at halo until they stop playing Halo. None of them are old enough for significant physical or mental decline without other underlying issues. The only real difference between 2gre in 2016 and 2007, imo, is the skill level of his opponents and himself. Hes actually probably a better Halo player than he was then and so is everyone else.

• Upvote (+1) 5

He has aligned himself alongside the best players in the game.  That is what he does.  Once Pistola started falling off, he went and hitched himself to the brightest duo in the scene...the same kids that he saw firsthand take down his Halo Reach "God Squad" as 15/16 year olds.  In Halo 3 it was Ola and FearitSelf.  His name is so established that he never had problems drawing the brightest up-and-coming stars to team with him; as he declines that will diminish as you are seeing now wherein the real stars of the team realized that they could upgrade by replacing him.

Wizards Michael Jordan was playing on a bad team.  How can you even make that comparison? If you took Washington Wizard MJ and put him on today's Golden State Warriors, washed-out MJ would be winning just like 2gre has been winning.  This is a team competition.  Put 2gre on Optic and he doesn't come even close to sniffing Top 2.

You do realize that that particular FB team played for quite a before(without Ola), they didnt get good magically because as we know... Ogre 2(and Final Boss) "sucked" for quite a bit some time during the Halo 3 era. It took time to develop the team and Ola was the missing piece to that puzzle and they went rolling hard on the last H3 tournaments. Tom invested a lot of time with that team, it may or may not happen again with nV, who knows but I'm not counting him out just yet.

• Upvote (+1) 2

VoD from this weekend's ASTRO Spartans 2v2, we'll have a special announcement soon regarding our next one. I think everyone will like it :intensifies:

Plz no radar  :prayers::kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think the main problem is ola not playing as much. he is only sr rank 50 and averages less than an hour a day. its like he doesnt like this game and is only playing it because he is sponsered by envy and has too. maybe playing with ogre wll get him more motivated

I've heard he plays quite a bit actually. He doesn't always play on main tags though.

Just what I've heard.