CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

For your first question, yes they will still owe the tax man their cut for the original winnings. But you can deduct your losses, but it's limited to the amount of your winnings.

I am not sure how taxes work in other countries, but in the U.S. you are required to state earning made in other countries and would be taxed on it.

don't self employed people pay taxes quarterly? and would a pro poker/gamer be considered self employed?

i'm 95% sure streamers are considered self employed and pay taxes quarterly 

I was saying that T2 tried to keep being a pro but the only thing that stopped him from practicing was the fact that he sucked and didn't enjoy getting his ass whooped. He enjoyed doing yoga and whatever the hell else he did that wasn't gaming more than getting on from 7-midnight and getting railed.

Well now that there is some decent REAL money on the line he will have the drive again.

I LOVE YOU TSQUARED WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HOPE NEWEGG SPONSORS YOU!!!!

RLwTYP9.png

• Upvote (+1) 3

I was saying that T2 tried to keep being a pro but the only thing that stopped him from practicing was the fact that he sucked and didn't enjoy getting his ass whooped. He enjoyed doing yoga and whatever the hell else he did that wasn't gaming more than getting on from 7-midnight and getting railed.

How do you know that? It could be true, you would know better than I do. It just seems disrespectful to talk about him like that when he paved the way for pro players to make a living from Halo. Do you want to be a pro when you're in your late 20s? It's not far away and how would you like to see someone talk so indignantly about you when you're in the same boat? 

giphy.gif

• Upvote (+1) 2

Pro gaming has a very small shelf life. Are there any top players over 30? I can't think of any. 2gre is an exception which proves the rule, really. 

I wonder why that is? I mean for most sports the body just gives up mid 30's if you're lucky but does gaming really take any physical toll? hand-eye coordination declines with advancing age but not in your mid 20's or anything. Obviously real life and priorities get in the way, which is the biggest obstacle I guess. 

I think T2 could come back if he wanted to, I'm not sure why he would though - The scene is kind of dead and at that age it's probably better to keep a secure paycheck in a cool job (newegg) 

There are only a very fortunate few who can actually make a career out of gaming, it's too risky to pursue this as people get older and real life smacks them in the face.  Most, if not all of these career gamers started when they were young, and found this success before people their age even finished college.  

Has nothing to do with skill imo, I see no difference between a 19 year old and a 25 year old.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

#Str8Rippin HYPE

I think T2 has potential, but I also think every criticism of him thus far has been accurate. He's a great player, but he simply did not put in the required time and energy into H2A to reap the benefits. I think he got comfortable and overconfident, and it didn't pay off. 

Halo 5 is not only a brand new game, but it's very different from every other Halo out there. If T2 is taking the competition seriously (which he should since there's 2 Mil on the line), then I honestly think he has a chance. But it's not going to be easy for him or his team, and if they're not willing to grind it out then they won't see any success. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

don't self employed people pay taxes quarterly? and would a pro poker/gamer be considered self employed?

Self employed do pay quarterly taxes. Pro gambler/gamer would file a Schedule C, (profit and losses for sole proprietorship), so yes they are self employed.  

• Upvote (+1) 4

What does everyone think the prize pool will get up to? I mean it has until march to keep growing and with new REQ content every month there's going to be people that spend money. My guess is 3.5-4 million. It went up 1 million in the first month so I can easily see another 1.5 million in 3ish months

• Upvote (+1) 2

What does everyone think the prize pool will get up to? I mean it has until march to keep growing and with new REQ content every month there's going to be people that spend money. My guess is 3.5-4 million. It went up 1 million in the first month so I can easily see another 1.5 million in 3ish months

I can definitely see it reaching high numbers. Especially if they continue to release special REQ content like that HCS pack. 

The Agency Halo 5 Preseason Stats

Victory X:

F42e617.png

FearItSelf:

ZltYKbz.png

Spartan: #5 in K/D

yaCZ8tV.png

Munoz:

0FTqYPP.png

• Upvote (+1) 4

Self employed do pay quarterly taxes. Pro gambler/gamer would file a Schedule C, (profit and losses for sole proprietorship), so yes they are self employed.  

you are the man, thanks for the info  

• Upvote (+1) 1

How do you know that? It could be true, you would know better than I do. It just seems disrespectful to talk about him like that when he paved the way for pro players to make a living from Halo. Do you want to be a pro when you're in your late 20s? It's not far away and how would you like to see someone talk so indignantly about you when you're in the same boat? 

I'm not trying to be disrespectful, just trying to paint a picture without euphemisms. Sure the money might motivate him to give a shot, but when he realizes that he's so far behind everyone else, he's going to do the same thing that he did in h2a.

This is, of course, assuming he's only back because of the tournament.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful, just trying to paint a picture without euphemisms. Sure the money might motivate him to give a shot, but when he realizes that he's so far behind everyone else, he's going to do the same thing that he did in h2a.

He did this with the h4 global.champ, he's gunna do it again for hcs

• Upvote (+1) 1

He's got 3 months to grind the game. Do you think that's enough time to catch up to top-tier players, or is he too far behind? 

He's got 3 months to grind the game. Do you think that's enough time to catch up to top-tier players, or is he too far behind? 

He's a person who likes halo when he's better than most of the pros so when he practices, he wins. When he isn't winning, he's not enjoying halo. Since he's so far behind, he's going to give up once he realizes he's not having fun.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I guess none of you guys have ever been mad at someone and/or called someone a homophobic slur? lol

No. Maybe I call them like a dickweed or something.

No. Maybe I call them like a dickweed or something.

as someone who is 50% dick and 50% weed i am offended by this post

• Upvote (+1) 6

What was that? MCC being awful and him speaking his mind about it being so?

No I definitely agree that MCC being awful made it much worse.

HOWEVER, if I recall correctly, he went to Naded's stream and said fuck you to halo community.

That's when I lost my respect for him.

• Upvote (+1) 1

as someone who is 50% dick and 50% weed i am offended by this post

Sorry, I am terrible person :(

Str8 gonna win the HWC.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Please get out with this nonsense. The difference isn't worth talking about until you are well into your 50s.

That said, even if it was worth talking about, Halo especially has never been about who sees who a split second faster.

A player with better game knowledge will beat someone with a faster reaction time every single game.

Heck, most of the time you think someone has a quick reaction time it is probably just that guy having superior game intelligence and knowing where to pre-aim.

The fact that there aren't many pros in their 30s has more to do with the fact that having an actual job (ANY job) is a smarter career choice than this "you become slow as a turtle the moment you hit 3 decades" superstitution.

All I'm saying is when I hit 30 (actually more like 29), my body started to change. I still take good care of myself and I'm not unhealthy or anything, but I felt a noticeable difference in my eye sight (probably due to long hours staring at computer screens), my testosterone levels, and general energy levels. That has been my experience and many of my friends. And when I was in my early to mid 20's I never thought it would happen. That has been my experience, take it for what it's worth.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I should note that you don't necessarily have to pay quarterly taxes if you have a salary position as well as self-employed income.  In your first year with self-employment income, you don't have to do quarterly payments at all (rather, only after you have a baseline from the first year).  And even then, you don't have to pre-pay quarterly if you expect to pay less than $1000 when you file your taxes.  I have $20k in self-employed income and don't pay quarterly taxes because I do extra withholding from my normal job.  If a progamer or Twitch streamer is making the bulk of their income from gaming, then yes, they'll likely need to pay quarterly, but if they have a regular full-time job as well (like Lethul has one, I think) then it may not be that simple, unless their winnings are ridiculously high (as Lethul's probably will be for 2016)

• Upvote (+1) 2

broken behind the scene promises surrounding the money side of things. Or at least that was the impression I got.

He misinterpreted 343's words, quite clearly.  They talked about the HCS having "enormous prize pools" but they never said "Master Chief Collection HCS" -- to me, it was very clear they meant Halo 5 was going to be the one having million dollar prize pools, based off public information.

Please get out with this nonsense. The difference isn't worth talking about until you are well into your 50s.

That said, even if it was worth talking about, Halo especially has never been about who sees who a split second faster.

A player with better game knowledge will beat someone with a faster reaction time every single game.

Heck, most of the time you think someone has a quick reaction time it is probably just that guy having superior game intelligence and knowing where to pre-aim.

The fact that there aren't many pros in their 30s has more to do with the fact that having an actual job (ANY job) is a smarter career choice than this "you become slow as a turtle the moment you hit 3 decades" superstitution.

This.  All four of the players referred to as "The Japanese gods" in Street Fighter, as well as Infiltration, are in their 30s.

Granted, while fighting games APPEAR to be reaction-based, they're actually entirely mental and being fought in the minds of the players with reads, predictions, and extra layers of Yomi (predicting a player's response to your response to their response and so on.).

Those players never stop practicing though.  They've continued to make a career out of fighting games for years, and been able to travel all over the world for it.

If you make an excuse for your AGE being what's limiting your ability to execute and respond in competitive gaming, you're doing just that -- making excuses.  I can't keep up because I suck, not because I'm 28 years old.  I've never been good at aiming, and a large part of that is the substantially lower amount of time I've put into playing the game.  I simply have less muscle memory for the task.  I've split my hours since H5's release between: work, girlfriend, analysis work, forums, and playing the game.  Younger players are more likely to just divide their time between school and gaming.  Older players between college, work, and gaming.  In the past, some of the older players had to focus more on getting sponsors than practicing, leading to even less practice time...those players didn't look as strong at events.

Seriously, the thing that separates players is amount of practice and understanding of the game.  It's not age.

Oh, yeah, and Royal 2 on Truth CTF:

• Upvote (+1) 9

Edgy.

I heard on a Pro stream (ninja I think) that you haven't taken a tournament seriously, or at least not like the old "areallygoodnoob" days in years. So what's your excuss, you shitat the game(s)? Kappa

Also, love watching you stream. :)

Damn, just gonna misquote ninja... He was watching ryanoob during the "WARRIORS" days and ninja said he didn't take it as seriously as that anymore. So you're right but I think that's just called maturity