CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Pro gaming has a very small shelf life. Are there any top players over 30? I can't think of any. 2gre is an exception which proves the rule, really. 

I wonder why that is? I mean for most sports the body just gives up mid 30's if you're lucky but does gaming really take any physical toll? hand-eye coordination declines with advancing age but not in your mid 20's or anything. Obviously real life and priorities get in the way, which is the biggest obstacle I guess. 

I think T2 could come back if he wanted to, I'm not sure why he would though - The scene is kind of dead and at that age it's probably better to keep a secure paycheck in a cool job (newegg) 

Not sure what you mean, Str8 rippin placed 2nd at the first h2a tournament with T2 and Str8 sick on the roster. Then they went on to place top 8 at most of the other tournaments. I didn't watch the last few tourneys of H2a cuz it got boring for me, but I'm pretty sure they were placing top 8/top 12 the whole game. I'm not saying they will be placing 1st every tournament, but to say they won't be placing top 8 without even seeing what their full roster will be is pretty ridiculous.

And there's something else people haven't really mentioned, T2 is currently a producer at Newegg.com. Which could potentially mean that they could have newegg sponsoring Str8 RIppin. It's really important to bring new sponsors into the scene for long term longevity and success of competitive halo. 

Str8 placed 2nd at the invitational, the first h2a event ever before any of the players played, and he had roy destroying everyone. T2 consistently played bad througout h2a, on a pro level, and then there was the tsm fiasco, kicking prototype because of it, and the whole zen/yoga and not practicing or talking to his teammates. The only thing that may come out of this is a few returning fans and potential newegg sponsorship which is more about halo as a whole than t2.

Pro gaming has a very small shelf life. Are there any top players over 30? I can't think of any. 2gre is an exception which proves the rule, really. 

I wonder why that is? I mean for most sports the body just gives up mid 30's if you're lucky but does gaming really take any physical toll? hand-eye coordination declines with advancing age but not in your mid 20's or anything. Obviously real life and priorities get in the way, which is the biggest obstacle I guess. 

I think T2 could come back if he wanted to, I'm not sure why he would though - The scene is kind of dead and at that age it's probably better to keep a secure paycheck in a cool job (newegg) 

scene could be completely dead, but it doesnt matter when theres going to be a single tournament worth multiple years of tournaments in halos prime. Thats worth coming back to take a shot at.

• Upvote (+1) 1

T2 lost interest because he was shit at the game, not because the game was shit ^_^

• Upvote (+1) 11
  • Downvote (-1) 7

scene could be completely dead, but it doesnt matter when theres going to be a single tournament worth multiple years of tournaments in halos prime. Thats worth coming back to take a shot at.

True, I don't know the pay structure but you could place top 8 and probably get a years average salary. It's worth a shot, I agree. 

Does anyone know if pro's pay income tax on winnings? 

Str8 placed 2nd at the invitational, the first h2a event ever before any of the players played, and he had roy destroying everyone. T2 consistently played bad througout h2a, on a pro level, and then there was the tsm fiasco, kicking prototype because of it, and the whole zen/yoga and not practicing or talking to his teammates. The only thing that may come out of this is a few returning fans and potential newegg sponsorship which is more about halo as a whole than t2.

I get what you're saying, but my previous post was speaking more about placing top 8. Even if he was playing bad, his team was still placing top 8 (which is what you said they wouldn't). We don't even know who's on the roster yet. What if they pick up a new kid who's really good at h5? Who knows? There's no evidence to prove your assumption that they won't place top 8, that's all I'm saying. Even with all the drama, they were placing and that's all it takes to make decent money out of HWC with the prize pool so large. 

T2 lost interest because he was shit at the game, not because the game was shit ^_^

The game was terrible though either way lol. There were hardly any viewers on any events stream. I'm a pessimist so I don't think even this 2mil tourny will generate game participation or viewers. H4 had the 24th highest prize pool in history and nobody watched that. 

Just from the low H5 sales figures, low population and low twitch views I don't think H5 will arrest Halo's decline into obscurity. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

Edgy.

I heard on a Pro stream (ninja I think) that you haven't taken a tournament seriously, or at least not like the old "areallygoodnoob" days in years. So what's your excuss, you shitat the game(s)? Kappa

Also, love watching you stream. :)

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Yes. IRS considers winnings taxable income.

I wonder how it works for pro poker players, where you could win 2 million then lose 2.5 the next day, would they still owe the tax man their cut of the original winnings?

Also, if a  EU team came to the states and won money would they have to pay tax in the US and at their home country? Sorry for the boring tax legislation posts, I've just always been curious about it. 

As someone with experience I will tell you that, yes your eyes, reflexes, etc start to deteriorate around 30. It's inevitable. You can minimize it by taking care if yourself, but it will happen. You young guys will be like all us old farts thinking you are the exception, but you aren't, promise.

TSM str8 rippin

T2 - str8 sick - legit - goofy

Not the BEST squad and it would be a rough road, but the hype, oh man.

#dreamz

I wonder how it works for pro poker players, where you could win 2 million then lose 2.5 the next day, would they still owe the tax man their cut of the original winnings?

Also, if a  EU team came to the states and won money would they have to pay tax in the US and at their home country? Sorry for the boring tax legislation posts, I've just always been curious about it. 

My guess is that gamblers pay taxes on their winnings at the end of the year. I'm not sure though. So if they end up losing money over the course of the year, they probably don't pay. I could be wrong though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I get what you're saying, but my previous post was speaking more about placing top 8. Even if he was playing bad, his team was still placing top 8 (which is what you said they wouldn't). We don't even know who's on the roster yet. What if they pick up a new kid who's really good at h5? Who knows? There's no evidence to prove your assumption that they won't place top 8, that's all I'm saying. Even with all the drama, they were placing and that's all it takes to make decent money out of HWC with the prize pool so large. 

He got top 8 in h2a because there were barely any teams. Top 3 was locked by eg, clg, and denial for the most part, 4-8 was a coin toss on any given day. There was like 10 teams that were good enough to make top 8. As for picking up a new kid thats good at h5? Not anymore. Frosty and Unlegit already have teams, and the ladder already started. If anyone new was serious about doing something in h5, they have a team already or are running games already.

• Upvote (+1) 1

As someone with experience I will tell you that, yes your eyes, reflexes, etc start to deteriorate around 30. It's inevitable. You can minimize it by taking care if yourself, but it will happen. You young guys will be like all us old farts thinking you are the exception, but you aren't, promise.

I don't think it's that drastic at that age. According to a NASA Technical Report the mean age for all selected pilot candidates is 39.90 years old and the optimal age of a fighter pilot is probably around 40-45 when they have a mixture of experience and ability. 

I don't think the natural decline of age affects playing a FPS game too much at ~30. I think it's mostly commitment and time issues, you can't sit in a room playing games all day when you've got to pay the mortgage for the room that house is in rather than your parents sorting it all.

(I'm 25 btw)
  • Upvote (+1) 2

The game was terrible though either way lol. There were hardly any viewers on any events stream. I'm a pessimist so I don't think even this 2mil tourny will generate game participation or viewers. H4 had the 24th highest prize pool in history and nobody watched that. 

Just from the low H5 sales figures, low population and low twitch views I don't think H5 will arrest Halo's decline into obscurity. 

aaaaaaaannndddddddd? I feel like you forgot to add something on here because there was absolutely no point in this post.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

aaaaaaaannndddddddd? I feel like you forgot to add something on here because there was absolutely no point in this post.

There was as much as a point to my post as yours, dude. You said T2 was shit and not the game, I said the game was shit and there was no reason for T2 to be committed like he used to be - which made him one of the all time Halo greats to this day.

For your first question, yes they will still owe the tax man their cut for the original winnings. But you can deduct your losses, but it's limited to the amount of your winnings.

I am not sure how taxes work in other countries, but in the U.S. you are required to state earning made in other countries and would be taxed on it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Please get out with this nonsense. The difference isn't worth talking about until you are well into your 50s.

That said, even if it was worth talking about, Halo especially has never been about who sees who a split second faster.

A player with better game knowledge will beat someone with a faster reaction time every single game.

Heck, most of the time you think someone has a quick reaction time it is probably just that guy having superior game intelligence and knowing where to pre-aim.

The fact that there aren't many pros in their 30s has more to do with the fact that having an actual job (ANY job) is a smarter career choice than this "you become slow as a turtle the moment you hit 3 decades" superstitution.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I don't think it's that drastic at that age. According to a NASA Technical Report the mean age for all selected pilot candidates is 39.90 years old and the optimal age of a fighter pilot is probably around 40-45 when they have a mixture of experience and ability.

I don't think the natural decline of age affects playing a FPS game too much at ~30. I think it's mostly commitment and time issues, you can't sit in a room playing games all day when you've got to pay the mortgage for the room that house is in rather than your parents sorting it all.

(I'm 25 btw)

I remember when I was 25 and still had dreams.

FYI, I played at a relatively high level in baseball and soccer. I also used to game regularly. I work out and stay in shape still to this day. Life decisions were part of it, but I can tell you that I'm not the same as I was at 25, for sure.

(I'm 25 btw)

Those pilots are always trained on the regular to keep their reactions up with specific exercises, something gamers should probably start doing.

T2 lost interest because he was shit at the game, not because the game was shit  ^_^

H2A was pretty shit

There was as much as a point to my post as yours, dude. You said T2 was shit and not the game, I said the game was shit and there was no reason for T2 to be committed like he used to be - which made him one of the all time Halo greats to this day.

I was saying that T2 tried to keep being a pro but the only thing that stopped him from practicing was the fact that he sucked and didn't enjoy getting his ass whooped. He enjoyed doing yoga and whatever the hell else he did that wasn't gaming more than getting on from 7-midnight and getting railed.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1