CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I don't really mind single elimination to be honest so long as the series are bo5 so there's more chance of the better team advancing. Single elim makes every game matter.

Personally, with single elim, I would prefer to see a bo7.. Especially if Breakout is in the mix.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't really mind single elimination to be honest so long as the series are bo5 so there's more chance of the better team advancing. Single elim makes every game matter.

Just wanted to put this out there. These are 343's and MLG's tournaments. If the pros and the community make it known about how bad Best of 3 and Single Elimination are, they very well could change it.

Everything is subject to change until the day of.

Regionals and Worlds are primarily Best of 5.

Group Stage (Top 16) is BO3, Bracket Stage (Top 8 from Group) is BO5 and BO7 for Semi-Finals and Grand Finals

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's cost effective. The stream is key. Once Halo gets a lot of momentum behind it we will see huge arenas sold out but for now this is what we got.

If this ever happens I'll eat all of my Halo discs. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

If this ever happens I'll eat all of my Halo discs. 

They're surprisingly decent with a little lemon zest and ketchup.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Regionals and Worlds are primarily Best of 5.

Group Stage (Top 16) is BO3, Bracket Stage (Top 8 from Group) is BO5 and BO7 for Semi-Finals and Grand Finals

Groups of 4 GSL style? This seems absolutely acceptable to me to be honest, again sticking with the theme that every single series matters in this scenario. People can and do get bracket fucked all the time but it's the nature of the beast, even with double elim. For these large tournaments you shouldn't need a second chance, top your group and go from there - no excuses.

Just wanted to put this out there. These are 343's and MLG's tournaments. If the pros and the community make it known about how bad Best of 3 and Single Elimination are, they very well could change it.

Everything is subject to change until the day of.

Are you wanting the online tourneys to be double elimination?

If so that's a disaster waiting to happen.

Are you wanting the online tourneys to be double elimination?

If so that's a disaster waiting to happen.

No no. Just the LANs.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Groups of 4 GSL style? This seems absolutely acceptable to me to be honest, again sticking with the theme that every single series matters in this scenario. People can and do get bracket fucked all the time but it's the nature of the beast, even with double elim. For these large tournaments you shouldn't need a second chance, top your group and go from there - no excuses.

I think that a double elimination would at least reduce the effect of bracket fucking. Bracket fucking happens regardless but I prefer for it to be reduced. I don't see the big issue with a double elimination tournament (I assume the MLG arena has the space to have that kind of thing for a 16 team tournament double elim tournament).

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think that a double elimination would at least reduce the effect of bracket fucking. Bracket fucking happens regardless but I prefer for it to be reduced. I don't see the big issue with a double elimination tournament (I assume the MLG arena has the space to have that kind of thing for a 16 team tournament double elim tournament).

1. The amount of extra time / resources it takes - we've seen from past experience that having double the games doesn't equal double the amount of Halo we get to watch.
  2. The value of the upper bracket games is reduced because there is a safety net. Essentially the purity of the competition, where what you're watching actually matters.
  3. Without a map veto system the reward for making it through the winner bracket is either disproportionate (e.g. having to win two series back-to-back in a single sitting), clumsy (single series, 1 map advantage) or insignificant (red team).

Didn't mean to step on any toes :(

Hah, sorry if it came off that way. I'm glad there are people making this stuff. I used to have a thread dedicated to it and welcomed people to post their own, might need to bring it back.

I'm extremely negative about 343 and the future prospects of Halo. I don't want to be but I just can't help it. Halo 4 was awful. MCC was sold for a year as a broken product and Halo 5 is unplayable unless all of your friends are your equal skill level and are in the same division and you only ever search together.

More than that, H5 twitch view counts are extremely low - any events or tournys pull in an extremely low amount of viewers. 

The amount of money on offer doesn't generate viewership or game participation. H4 had the 24th highest prize pool in gaming history and nobody cared - I only knew about it because I would see jokes about Ace months later. 

I don't hold 343 solely responsible, I mean they take the lions share of blame obviously but the competitive console gaming scene has petered out in general - There's a reason Bungie haven't turned Destiny into a competitive tournament game and Destiny is thriving. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

1. The amount of extra time / resources it takes - we've seen from past experience that having double the games doesn't equal double the amount of Halo we get to watch.
  2. The value of the upper bracket games is reduced because there is a safety net. Essentially the purity of the competition, where what you're watching actually matters.
  3. Without a map veto system the reward for making it through the winner bracket is either disproportionate (e.g. having to win two series back-to-back in a single sitting), clumsy (single series, 1 map advantage) or insignificant (red team).

But with single elimination, teams can be eliminated because of getting a bad bracket matchup. Think CLG losing to EG in winner's semis. Without a loser's bracket, they'd never get a chance to make it all the way back and take a set off EG at the Season 2 Finals.

This season it's looking like there's 4 really top tier teams, and with a Loser's Bracket, it provides more chances of those 4 teams playing each other.

Instead of just say:

- EG-CLG

- nV-Liquid

- EG-nV

We'd get

- EG-CLG

- nV-Liquid

- EG-nV

- CLG-Liquid

- nV-Liquid

- EG-nV x2

Those are just examples, and any of those 4 teams can be swapped into any spot.

But I'd much rather see the top teams actually get to face as many top teams as possible.

On top of that, it gives some lower seeded teams a chance at making a run.

Say the #8 seed gets royally screwed having to face EG round 1.

But in the loser's bracket they have a significantly better chance because they don't have to face the #1 seed right off the bat.

This really shouldn't be an argument. Double elimination brackets are better in so many more ways than single elimination. That's why it has become the standard in eSports today.

• Upvote (+1) 5

To be fair though, we have grown to 7.9 million Halo eSports fans.

According to what? That seems incredibly inflated considering under 4000 people watched that internet versus 343 thing. I don't use this forum enough to know if this is a joke by the way lol 

According to what? That seems incredibly inflated considering under 4000 people watched that internet versus 343 thing. I don't use this forum enough to know if this is a joke by the way lol 

It is haha.

It is haha.

I thought so lol, my bad. You'd think if there was millions of Halo fans you could find 10 games online without always seeing the same small pool of names!

It's a  :kappa:  moment lol 

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's a  :kappa:  moment lol 

I don't even know what that face or kappa means. I see it all the time on twitch and twitter and don't get it. I'm so out of the loop. I only came back here to vent my nerd whines on how awful Halo is now. 

I don't even know what that face or kappa means. I see it all the time on twitch and twitter and don't get it. I'm so out of the loop. I only came back here to vent my nerd whines on how awful Halo is now. 

I don't know if you've ever been on Reddit, but it's like "\s" on that site. It indicates that you are being sarcastic. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

But with single elimination, teams can be eliminated because of getting a bad bracket matchup. Think CLG losing to EG in winner's semis. Without a loser's bracket, they'd never get a chance to make it all the way back and take a set off EG at the Season 2 Finals.

This really shouldn't be an argument. Double elimination brackets are better in so many more ways than single elimination. That's why it has become the standard in eSports today.

And so begins the time old argument, does bracket fuck exist? If you're in the top 16 competing to be the best, you have to beat the best. In that nature, single elim does its job assuming its a bo5 or bo7. Double elimination is more entertaining, and better for the teams involved...but as a spectator, does it really make a difference?

Since nobody answered. No its not GSL, but regular round robin pool play.

I dont get the infatuation with double elimination that gamers seem to have. The tense/exciting nature of playoffs/cups in any sport adds to the drama, increasing the chance of upsets and forcing teams to show up.

With this format its hard to get bracket fucked. For NA, you get seeded for your GB points. At regionals you get a chance to get seeded for worlds. At worlds, finish top of your group. Cant do any of that? Then you cant really complain about being bracket fucked. Ive never seen any sport fans clamour for double elimination.

Pools negate the need for double elimination. You finish 2nd? You get a harder draw. You had a hard pool? You fucked up at regionals? You had a hard draw at regionals? You fucked up in the online cups. How many more chances should a team get.

That's why it has become the standard in eSports today.

Yeah that aint true. The two biggest esports in the west, CSGO and League both opt for single elimination in their biggest events.

Those are just examples, and any of those 4 teams can be swapped into any spot.

But I'd much rather see the top teams actually get to face as many top teams as possible.

You';l get that in your league. This is cup/tournament format. Same happens in any other competition. This worlds is to find the best team on the planet, not rank them from 1st to 16th.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1