CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

How many times have we had to "wait for spectator mode to catch up" and cut to live feed? The only advantage to spectator right now is player outlines, why bother?

Right now its the only solution. Only the pro team are at the venue. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

They need to not use spectator mode until they have something that is actually beneficial to the broadcast. Nevermind the fact that, as we discussed when finding out about the nature of spectator mode, we won't be able to have face cams/listen ins for live events while using spectator mode due to the difficulty of getting them in sync. We've already seen Bravo accidentally pause the spec mode, or somehow spec mode "needed to catch up" at least 5 times at this event. It's a nightmare. Right now there is absolutely no benefit of spectator mode, unless you believe player outlines add to your spectating experience, which I don't (for Halo).

Spectator mode/theatre mode has other problems too. The aiming is represented very inaccurately. It makes the hit registration look ridiculous, especially for weapons like the sniper which are already generous in the actual game. It's also missing simple things like showing the weapon outlines and prompts for weapon pickups that are present in the actual game.

And as others have mentioned, there are so many more UI elements, like comprehensive stats, that should be implemented.

I appreciate 343's effort and understanding that a spectator mode can be hugely beneficial to an esports broadcast, but in its current state I would much rather just watch a feed from a capture card as we've always done it. I hope they can swallow their pride and go back to traditional broadcasting until we have a spectator mode that demonstrably improves the viewing experience.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Right now its the only solution. Only the pro team are at the venue. 

Right, I forgot. That's very unfortunate and is really killing this stream for me.

I see someone mentioned that spec mode froze a few times in the first game. This has happened to me nearly every time I have tried to spectate someone on my FL, i'll get in a game, it will start and about a minute in it will freeze, buffer then carry on.

Has it happened more apart from that first game?

• Upvote (+1) 2

I see someone mentioned that spec mode froze a few times in the first game. This has happened to me nearly every time I have tried to spectate someone on my FL, i'll get in a game, it will start and about a minute in it will freeze, buffer then carry on.

Has it happened more apart from that first game?

A few times, yes. 

I adon't like the player outlines. They are a bit distracting. It may be they they are to bright and thick? The outline should only be seen when a player is behind a wall. I don't understand why they are there all the time. I don't think they work well in Halo. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I actually don't like the player outlines. They are a bit distracting. It may be they they are to bright and thick? When a player is shooting another player its all I see. I don't think they work well in Halo. 

I'd rather not have them at all. I don't mind them much in CoD, but in Halo for some reason I am more inclined to want to see the game exactly as the player sees it. Nevertheless, I agree that the outlines are too bold. At times, the outlines obfuscate the visual feedback when shooting a player; it can be hard to see if a player is full shields, blinking, no shields.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I actually don't like the player outlines. They are a bit distracting. It may be they they are to bright and thick? When a player is shooting another player its all I see. The outline should only be seen when a player is behind a wall. I don't understand why they are there all the time. I don't think they work well in Halo. 

Right here. Once a player is visible to the spectating pov it should go away.

They need to not use spectator mode until they have something that is actually beneficial to the broadcast. Nevermind the fact that, as we discussed when finding out about the nature of spectator mode, we won't be able to have face cams/listen ins for live events while using spectator mode due to the difficulty of getting them in sync. We've already seen Bravo accidentally pause the spec mode, or somehow spec mode "needed to catch up" at least 5 times at this event. It's a nightmare. Right now there is absolutely no benefit of spectator mode, unless you believe player outlines add to your spectating experience, which I don't (for Halo).

Spectator mode/theatre mode has other problems too. The aiming is represented very inaccurately. It makes the hit registration look ridiculous, especially for weapons like the sniper which are already generous in the actual game. It's also missing simple things like showing the weapon outlines and prompts for weapon pickups that are present in the actual game.

And as others have mentioned, there are so many more UI elements, like comprehensive stats, that should be implemented.

I appreciate 343's effort and understanding that a spectator mode can be hugely beneficial to an esports broadcast, but in its current state I would much rather just watch a feed from a capture card as we've always done it. I hope they can swallow their pride and go back to traditional broadcasting until we have a spectator mode that demonstrably improves the viewing experience.

I agree completely. However, if 343 make HCS a weekly league system, which I generally would like, then they'll have no choice but to use the spectator system. :(

Not sure if this has been mentioned here yet, but EG and OpTic are up for e-sports team of the year for The Game Awards, I feel EG's success in Halo, Dota, Street Fighter, and Smash this year mean they are worthy of the award, but they are currently in last place :(

http://thegameawards.com/nominees/

(I just really dont wanna see Fnatic win)

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I get why spectator mode has a delay on it. Otherwise you could just sprctate a friend and tell then what the other team is doing

Man, such a depressing viewer count for an official halo stream.

We looking at h2a numbers again this season?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Man, such a depressing viewer count for an official halo stream.

We looking at h2a numbers again this season?

It's a poorly advertised stream starting mid-day on a Friday, surprise it's got this many to be honest.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I agree completely. However, if 343 make HCS a weekly league system, which I generally would like, then they'll have no choice but to use the spectator system. :(

If that's the case, I'll open Halo's stream just to add a viewer to their count but I'll actually watch an individual player's stream instead (assuming they'll stream it).

If I am right he works at 343i

Tashi is a Community (Manager/Coordinator?) at 343 Industries.

This intel is presumably about the first event and Season 3.

Thanks! Info on Season 3 has been long overdue

I get why spectator mode has a delay on it. Otherwise you could just sprctate a friend and tell then what the other team is doing

Which is fine, for matchmaking.

The issue is, there is no way to remove that delay for LAN.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's a poorly advertised stream starting mid-day on a Friday, surprise it's got this many to be honest.

Fair enough.

Its just a shame to see halo so low on the twitch list already.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If that's the case, I'll open Halo's stream just to add a viewer to their count but I'll actually watch an individual player's stream instead (assuming they'll stream it).

I'm not sure individual players would stream it. On smite (sorry, I don't watch LoL and LCS), the official Smite twitch is the only source to watch it. I imagine this is to control content when it's a developer sanctioned event and to not cannibalize viewers. Who knows what 343 will do though?