CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

The CE pistol is straight garbo in H5 so there isn't much hubbub about that.

Remember when everyone wanted it to be the starting weapon right after that opening teaser?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Remember when everyone wanted it to be the starting weapon right after that opening teaser?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

I remember when that sentiment came with the qualifier of "if it's the real deal", to be certain. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

@@TiberiusAudley Sorry, I'm confused at your definitions. How is the Main Slayer a Tank? Wouldn't he be a DPS (mmorpg) or ADC (moba) ?

You don't want him ever seen. He needs to lurk in the shadows like Ogre1, Snipedown or Royal 2.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I swear the last time breakout was brought up, after regional's i believe, you said EG was the best at breakout....

@@TiberiusAudley Sorry, I'm confused at your definitions. How is the Main Slayer a Tank? Wouldn't he be a DPS (mmorpg) or ADC (moba) ?

You don't want him ever seen. He needs to lurk in the shadows like Ogre1, Snipedown or Royal 2.

Nah he defined a Main Slayer as a Sniper. Great positioning who cleans up kills with ranged weapons. Value their life and get multi kills, etc.

Tank is like and aPG/Ninja/Spartan who just go in and shoot everybody

• Upvote (+1) 1

Socks on at the pool, man... 

I once went to the pool with a douche friend of my cousin cause they were on vacation so I asked what was up with the socks, and he told me he hates sunburnt feet

But fuck that guy, and fuck anyone who wears socks to the pool.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That thread is for everything eSports, Arena, Sandbox, Matchmaking, Gametypes, etc. go at it.

Fair point. I do like those definitions better. Cut down your seventy-two layered cake of priorities and thats something I can get behind.

If we get a solid list of 4-6 roles I think that would be great to include in future HCS Broadcasts, but they have to be things that are relevant and recognizable in the context of an eSport and competitive game. None of this Flex, Hypeman, etc. wackiness.

• Slayer and/or Sniper
  • Objective
  • Support
  • Tanks
  • Shotcaller

The discussion can then be swayed more towards how each role applies himself in the team and through the maps/sandbox. Snakebite (who I'd hope you'd classify as a tank?) is the type of person who runs Power Weapons and calls plays/shotcalls, whereas Ninja is the type who is aggressive and runs objectives based on successful pushes.

The original Priorities vid had names for each of the types of players, though...

The problem is there are variations within those categories that separate players like Ogre 2 (who focus on denying specific areas of the map when left to their own desires) vs Assault (who focus on looking for a teammate to help).

I divided them by Priority to highlight how much the team plays around them versus how much they play around the team.

Priority 1s are the ones the team basically lets take the power weapons.  (The "Slayers" or "Carries")

Priority 2s are the in-your-face players who NEED to Small Talk and ensure teammates are following them to help them if they get into a battle or if they lose their battle. (The "Tanks" -- I'd actually called them "Dominators" in my original Priorities vid.)

Priority 3s are the second-tier of slayers that can take power weapons if the primary choice didn't take them, or focus on slaying without power weapons -- I called them "Hunters")

Priority 4s are similar to Prio3s in that they don't take power weapons, but rather than focus on self-sufficiency, they usually take safe positions and try to put shots in a front-liner's target by covering alternate angles.  I called them "Rangers" in the video.)

Priority 5s are typically players who have less latent slaying potential but are generally forced to give up positional safety in order to try to open up plays by pushing objectives or things.  They're likely to go negative a lot even if they're winning their team the game.  I've called them "Agents" or "Lambs" before.

The Priority designator isn't meant to be complex.  The lower the number, the more the team needs to focus on letting that player succeed in order to win.  The higher the number, the more that player is focused on enabling their teammates.

1 = First Choice for Power Weapons

2 = Small Talking and Aggression

3 = Non-Power Weapon Slaying

4 = tumblr_nz1jemEmlf1tpri36o1_500.gif

5 = Objective bitch "support" player.

In an ideal team set-up, you don't have anyone requiring the same level of attention from the teammates, but it's also important not to be rigid in those positions.  Royal 2 grabs flags for CLG when he pushes up with Railgun on Fathom (and then subsequently passes the flag off after he gets halfway, so he can focus on getting back into spawn killing position with Rail to open up another pull.).  SwiftKill sometimes took Sniper for eLevate, despite having Penguin and Rayne on the team.

The idea behind dividing it up by Priorities was to show there is an overlap with other genres, specifically MOBAs, in the existence of "Resources" to be divided up among a team, and that those resources didn't just mean weapons.  Positions, Responses to Call-Outs, and Direction are important resources in Halo that are important to spread among a team that go overlooked.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Last few pages.

1308700044898875684.gif

Do you ever think that people may feel the same way about the memes and gifs posted here? I get that people get mad about weapon settings discussions, but I feel the same way about memes and gifs and all of that. I just scroll past them and move on.
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

If people didn't complain about bad settings then we would have seen breakout in the world championship, but I guess some people are happy with anything as long as it has the name "halo".

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Fun Fact: Ace was wearing those socks when he won the Halo Global Championship.

And every day since...

• Upvote (+1) 5

Fun Fact: Ace was wearing those socks when he won the Halo Global Championship. 

Fun Follow-up Fact: He has actually never changed them since.  Some say it's the wafting stench of unwashed socks that actually requires him to sleep so much, as the smell of the socks acts as a sedative.

Bill Cosby likes them because they match his sweaters.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Do you ever think that people may feel the same way about the memes posted here? I get that people get mad about weapon settings discussions, but I feel the same way about memes and gifs and all of that. I just scroll past them and move on.

People aren't mad that others want to discuss gametypes/sandbox, they just don't want it done in a very upbeat and positive-mood thread. Gifs and memes you may not like but it attributes to the positive attitude that we all have going in this thread while we enjoy competitive Halo.

This thread is about competition, teams, seeds, events, HCS News, eSports, etc.

We dedicated a separate thread for people to debate the intricacies of the game and ruleset, because most people agree it doesn't belong here.

Props for just scrolling past the content you don't enjoy though. Just thought I'd explain the reason we all want these debates separate.

• Upvote (+1) 6

If people didn't complain about bad settings then we would have seen breakout in the world championship, but I guess some people are happy with anything as long as it has the name "halo".

Actually listening to the pros (@Snakebite) is what got Breakout removed.

HURRICANE BOIZ!

Do you ever think that people may feel the same way about the memes and gifs posted here? I get that people get mad about weapon settings discussions, but I feel the same way about memes and gifs and all of that. I just scroll past them and move on.

same

Actually listening to the pros (@Snakebite) is what got Breakout removed.

Do you mean that 343 did or we did?

Finally, for the first time since Halo 3...

I have a gold bar again.

Almost neg repped just to be THAT guy

• Upvote (+1) 7

Almost neg repped just to be THAT guy

Fucked if I care - yolo.

• Upvote (+1) 2