CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

does anyone ever think that maybe, on some days, occasionally, by chance, rarely, that these forums sometimes have maybe a little excess, a somewhat over-the-top, slightly, unusually high amount of memes?

200.gif

also, I AM NOT ADVOCATING AGAINST MEMES I SWEAR TO TJ I AM NOT. I AM GENERALLY PRO-MEME.

Batman-Swear-To-Me.gif

• Downvote (-1) 1

Not that it's exactly the same, but a three-person announcer team is what the Philadelphia Flyers do, kind of. They have a PbP, Color Commentary, and then a guy that sits in between the two teams benches that will chip in every so often to expand on a point, provide humor, etc. 

Of course, there's plenty of differences between the two, but I felt it would be an interesting note to make. I've never seen it really tried in esports though. 

I think the three-man announcing team is a little unnecessary (although that may just be because of how often I'm forced to listen to Hughson, Simpson and Healy call Leafs games on Saturday nights). The only way it really works is if both colour guys played different positions in their career, just like the Healy-Simpson pairing, but even then.. I dunno.

It could probably be done more efficiently in eSports if you go play-by-play, colour 1 with a good understanding of the game, and colour 2 as an ex or current professional player, potentially as a guest caster.

I SWEAR I DIDN'T MEAN IT.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT CAME OVER ME.

PRAISE MEMES. PRAISE MEMES.

• Downvote (-1) 3

does anyone ever think that maybe, on some days, occasionally, by chance, rarely, that these forums sometimes have maybe a little excess, a somewhat over-the-top, slightly, unusually high amount of memes?

also, I AM NOT ADVOCATING AGAINST MEMES I SWEAR TO TJ I AM NOT. I AM GENERALLY PRO-MEME.

Maybe-gif.gif

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So EG didn't beat a single NA team did they?

They only played 2, one of them CLG. This is the first time they've lost to a non CLG NA team.

Doom and gloom, etc

I don't see how you guys can be upset with the casters we have now, considering we used to have Faruq and Sundance in the booth.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I am all for memes but I'll say this. 

This site is the sole reason I go over my data limit every month due to all the gifs. I aint even mad.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have a feeling that come next season, Ogre 2's team could be Ola, Bubu Dubu and Huke/Penguin. Just throwing that out there... *crosses fingers*

Unpopular opinion:  I think people overrate how much value Walshy is adding during the cast. It's not necessarily a good thing to have over-analysis of the meta during a cast, especially when it gets a little forced. Walshy's insistence that it's a bad idea to 3-cap on Rig despite the widespread prevalence of that strat amongst top teams has been one of the cringier examples. I also get pretty sick of Walshy's "he said Guess What? The other team's 3 down, so I can pull the flag .." etc. etc. I don't find him to be a particularly natural announcer. (Please understand these are nitpicks - Walshy's a fantastic force for good in the Halo scene, I would never suggest otherwise.)

My favorite caster is Puckett, followed by Bravo and Simms. Fluid casters who don't trip over their words or talk over the action too much. 

Has anybody ever tried a three-person cast? One for play-by-play, one for color, and one for analysis? I feel like an excited Simms or Bravo giving the facts of the case, Puckett adding colorful commentary, and Walshy periodically checking in to explain an interesting piece of meta would be a good combination. 

I wish all the Halo personalities the best, but as casters they add literally nothing to any game and doing listen-ins the entire time would be far more interesting for most viewers.  Bravo and Puckett are very articulate and aren't bad as announcers; everyone else is cringe all the way, to varying degrees.  

Walshy's commentary was actually detracting from my enjoyment of games last night and was not adding any information ... "Guess What" followed by inaccurate analysis and inaccurate map callouts that made no sense and pulled me out of the game.  I feel like MS/343 just needs to hire some actual casters and not random community figures.

I should add that announcing for all sports is overrated, imo, and basically only existed in the first place because radio was the primary format for consuming sports content.  With video there's almost no point.  Having analysis before/after and between games can be good, I suppose.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I have a feeling that come next season, Ogre 2's team could be Ola, Bubu Dubu and Huke/Penguin. Just throwing that out there... *crosses fingers*

Denial should stick together imo

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't see how you guys can be upset with the casters we have now, considering we used to have Faruq and Sundance in the booth.

Fair, but now people have seen how good casters can be potentially be (looking at LoL, CS:GO, sometimes Hearthstone).

They only played 2, one of them CLG. This is the first time they've lost to a non CLG NA team.

Doom and gloom, etc

Those 2 teams have only eliminated each other from winning. Kind of sad. 

Fair, but now people have seen how good casters can be potentially be (looking at LoL, CS:GO, sometimes Hearthstone).

And yet those same people demand Puckett.

• Downvote (-1) 1

And yet those same people demand Puckett.

They dont remember puckett from h2 and h3. He and most of the casters were awful. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

ESRkKCg.gif

• Downvote (-1) 1

I was watching Contra's stream a few days ago, and he was talking about possibly retiring after this event and moving on with his life even if they won. I hope he doesn't, but he seemed like he had thought about it a lot. He also said he felt like an outsider in the community and that he didn't get along with many of the pro players.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was watching Contra's stream a few days ago, and he was talking about possibly retiring after this event and moving on with his life even if they won. I hope he doesn't, but he seemed like he had thought about it a lot. He also said he felt like an outsider in the community and that he didn't get along with many of the pro players.

Isn't he kinda a new pro? How can he already retire?

It's actually pretty easy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well, he have been playing Halo/Gamebattles for a very, very long time under his other alias - LiL Talent.

• Upvote (+1) 1