CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I've been buzzing all weekend but I have to admit with only one game to play today, a 90% likely CLG win, I'm feeling a bit deflated.

True story: In 2010 I made a post on the mlgpro forums where I said that I honestly thought my teammate, TJ "Lethul Lethul" Campbell, was the best player who had never been to an event, and everyone in the thread blasted me for hyping up "an online kid". So when CLG wins the million today, I just want everyone to know who real OG Lethxl fanboy is.

You should find that post in the archives and make it your sig for posterity.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm sorry, but no. Walshy is the best caster by far.

Walshy knows what he is talking about, but he annoys me sometimes. I laugh every time I hear him say something along the lines of:

"Denial wants to send three guys to OS and have one flank. And CLG is gonna say 'well guess what?, we are gonna sit back and let you rush middle and nade you out' and Denial is like 'well guess what? if you sit back and try to nade us out, we're gonna play back a bit more, re-focus and hit you from different angles"

...which happens like every 5 minutes "Well guess what?"

• Upvote (+1) 3

Walshy knows what he is talking about, but he annoys me sometimes. I laugh every time I hear him say something along the lines of:

"Denial wants to send three guys to OS and have one flank. And CLG is gonna say 'well guess what?, we are gonna sit back and let you rush middle and nade you out' and Denial is like 'well guess what? if you sit back and try to nade us out, we're gonna play back a bit more, re-focus and hit you from different angles"

...which happens like every 5 minutes "Well guess what?"

At the end of the day...

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm just going too say if you don't want naded to win I don't like you right now.

The passion for Halo and emotion you see in his eyes makes you a fan. 

At the end of the day...

Hotshy's the smartest Halo player of all time? 

every caster has their own common phrases, i always thought it's just part of their casting style like the goldenboy "regardless of the fact..." and the simms "at this point in time..." Not really something that annoys me though

• Upvote (+1) 4

every caster has their own common phrases, i always thought it's just part of their casting style like the goldenboy "regardless of the fact..." and the simms "at this point in time..." Not really something that annoys me though

Yeah, all casters and commentators have their own flair. It just tends to become even more apparent in eSports because you're binge watching an entire broadcast over a weekend rather than sitting down and watching two and a half hours of the same sports coverage once or twice a week.

Think about how many times play by play guys covering hockey say "I bet he wants that one back" whenever a goalie lets in a bad goal.

• Upvote (+1) 3

You should find that post in the archives and make it your sig for posterity.

I tried googling it yesterday but couldn't find it because I couldn't remember what the title of the thread was, and because I had multiple accounts on mlgpro (I got banned a lot). 

True story: In 2010 I made a post on the mlgpro forums where I said that I honestly thought my teammate, TJ "Lethul Lethul" Campbell, was the best player who had never been to an event, and everyone in the thread blasted me for hyping up "an online kid". So when CLG wins the million today, I just want everyone to know who real OG Lethxl fanboy is.

I got laughed at on the MLG forums when I predicted SyA to finish top 3 at the real Reach opener.

And got confused replies when Lethul and APG were 2 of the players on my "Roster that could take down the God Squad" (Enable and Snipedown were the other two... Ryanoob and Blaze ended up being the 2 that did the trick.)  My statement for why Lethul was on that roster was, "I call him the Kid.  His playstyle is basically a younger version of the GOAT.  He's a versatile player that does what it takes to win."

People always overlook the new talent until that new talent stays at the top for a while.  They'll always take names over looking at gameplay to figure out if someone's good.

It's sad.

Props for being the person who discovered TJ. :) +1

• Upvote (+1) 6

It wouldn't surprise me if at some point during the match tonight, Naded raises his arms to the sky and asks us to lend him our energy.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Unpopular opinion:  I think people overrate how much value Walshy is adding during the cast. It's not necessarily a good thing to have over-analysis of the meta during a cast, especially when it gets a little forced. Walshy's insistence that it's a bad idea to 3-cap on Rig despite the widespread prevalence of that strat amongst top teams has been one of the cringier examples. I also get pretty sick of Walshy's "he said Guess What? The other team's 3 down, so I can pull the flag .." etc. etc. I don't find him to be a particularly natural announcer. (Please understand these are nitpicks - Walshy's a fantastic force for good in the Halo scene, I would never suggest otherwise.)

My favorite caster is Puckett, followed by Bravo and Simms. Fluid casters who don't trip over their words or talk over the action too much. 

Has anybody ever tried a three-person cast? One for play-by-play, one for color, and one for analysis? I feel like an excited Simms or Bravo giving the facts of the case, Puckett adding colorful commentary, and Walshy periodically checking in to explain an interesting piece of meta would be a good combination. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Has anybody ever tried a three-person cast? One for play-by-play, one for color, and one for analysis? I feel like an excited Simms or Bravo giving the facts of the case, Puckett adding colorful commentary, and Walshy periodically checking in to explain an interesting piece of meta would be a good combination. 

Nitpicking you here, but Color Commentators are the analysts.  Think of it in terms of... the PbP give the outline of what's going on, and the Color commentator paints the picture of why it happened.

You have the right idea -- a PbP describing the action, an Analyst (Color) explaining the action, and a third caster to make it funny or entertaining.  Puckett from Halo and Rivington the Third from LoL are great examples of casters that fill in the "entertainment" factor, whether they're doing play by play or not.

Still, 100% agreed with your statements.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm just going too say if you don't want naded to win I don't like you right now.

if Naded wins, it will be the peak of my existence thus far

I for one will be doing lots of praying today, especially to Based God

• Upvote (+1) 2

The passion for Halo and emotion you see in his eyes makes you a fan. 

Xpo4myT.jpg

i prefer what i see in snakebite's eyes :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 5

Unpopular opinion:  I think people overrate how much value Walshy is adding during the cast. It's not necessarily a good thing to have over-analysis of the meta during a cast, especially when it gets a little forced. Walshy's insistence that it's a bad idea to 3-cap on Rig despite the widespread prevalence of that strat amongst top teams has been one of the cringier examples. I also get pretty sick of Walshy's "he said Guess What? The other team's 3 down, so I can pull the flag .." etc. etc. I don't find him to be a particularly natural announcer. (Please understand these are nitpicks - Walshy's a fantastic force for good in the Halo scene, I would never suggest otherwise.)

My favorite caster is Puckett, followed by Bravo and Simms. Fluid casters who don't trip over their words or talk over the action too much. 

Not that it's exactly the same, but a three-person announcer team is what the Philadelphia Flyers do, kind of. They have a PbP, Color Commentary, and then a guy that sits in between the two teams benches that will chip in every so often to expand on a point, provide humor, etc. 

Of course, there's plenty of differences between the two, but I felt it would be an interesting note to make. I've never seen it really tried in esports though. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

does anyone ever think that maybe, on some days, occasionally, by chance, rarely, that these forums sometimes have maybe a little excess, a somewhat over-the-top, slightly, unusually high amount of memes?

also, I AM NOT ADVOCATING AGAINST MEMES I SWEAR TO TJ I AM NOT. I AM GENERALLY PRO-MEME.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

does anyone ever think that maybe, on some days, occasionally, by chance, rarely, that these forums sometimes have maybe a little excess, a somewhat over-the-top, slightly, unusually high amount of memes?

Yes, maybe, maybe not. I don't know.

tumblr_mq74u3n4YM1qaed4ho1_500.gif

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1