CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Single Elimination is all about how you are placed in the bracket. CLG for sure deserves to be in the finals. But I could have seen Denial or EG in their too over Allegiance and when you are talking $75K to $250K difference in money I think double elimination needs to be considered. That could make or break a team from players retiring and expanding the life of Halo 5. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

BO7 from the outset of bracket play would be my only request, the rest was absolutely fine IMO.

I completely agree with your points, but given how much money is on the line, I'd play BO11 after pool play.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can you guys that defend this system not understand that the problem is about the $$$$$$$$$? Seriously, there is a HUGE payout difference between Top 3 and Top 8. This system is shit when placings earn you different amounts of money. LOTS of money. Yea, I'm sure if you were in EG's shoes you would say "Ah darn but that's the system guys!" No. You would be furious that, because you matched the best team first round and lost, you get A LOT LESS MONEY. It's a shitty system and defending it is ridiculous. If they were gonna do this then they should only pay the winning team. Otherwise it's counter-intuitive.

You should never hear "damn _ team got a favorable bracket they can make it to the Final now easier than _ team". Double elimination is the only way to accurately determine the Top 8 teams in order, not just the best team.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's Sunday ladies and Gentlemen...

In all seriousness thought these are the 2 teams who deserve to be in the finals. CLG have been so incredible to watch, whereas Allegiance poured their heart and souls into yesterday. One thing I noticed was that Naded was playing with a massive smile on his face yesterday which personally I believe was a big factor in their success. The player who's performance stood out for me however was Cratos. The numbers the guy was putting up were crazy and he is just a natural born winner.

My head says CLG, but my heart says Allegiance.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Can you guys that defend this system not understand that the problem is about the $$$$$$$$$? Seriously, there is a HUGE payout difference between Top 3 and Top 8. This system is shit when placings earn you different amounts of money. LOTS of money. Yea, I'm sure if you were in EG's shoes you would say "Ah darn but that's the system guys!" No. You would be furious that, because you matched the best team first round and lost, you get A LOT LESS MONEY. It's a shitty system and defending it is ridiculous. If they were gonna do this then they should only pay the top 2 teams. Otherwise it's counter-intuitive.

EG also lost to RNG, who didn't make top 4. They lost twice, and got absolutely demolished by CLG. In no way shape or form were they playing at top 3 levels.

Only teams that should be upset are the teams that won their pool, and then lost only 1 series - Team Liquid & Elevate. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

EG also lost to RNG, who didn't make top 4. They lost twice, and got absolutely demolished by CLG. In no way shape or form were they playing at top 3 levels.

Only teams that should be upset are the teams that won their pool, and then lost only 1 series - Team Liquid & Elevate.

EG is an example. The problem is that you can't say the Top 8 order we ended up with is truly accurate. And with big money on the line that is really shitty.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

My head says CLG, but my heart says Allegiance.

I think almost everyone is with you on that one. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Liquid & elevate aren't the only 3-1 record teams that got 5-8 :/
  • Upvote (+1) 6

Liquid & elevate aren't the only 3-1 record team that got 5-8 :/

Yes they are, Epsilon and EG dropped a match each in Pool Play.

• Downvote (-1) 1

The guy you're talking to is RNG's coach lol
  • Upvote (+1) 2

RNG got 5-8 and won their pool. Elevate got top 4, but still only lost once (won their pool).

Relationship break update (if people can remember my post 50 pages back): She has mentioned that she feels bad and wants to talk about everything so we can sort it out.

I agreed entirely, which is why I said we can talk tomorrow.

• Upvote (+1) 1

EG is an example. The problem is that you can't say the Top 8 order we ended up with is truly accurate. And with big money on the line that is really shitty.

Yes and no. 5-8 got the same amount of money. Think the top 4 was pretty well representative. Denial beat TL (who had beat AE) and pushed CLG further than any other teams have done yet. 

Also, people will talk shit about Elevate since they're not big names (yet), but they swept Denial in pool play. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Can you guys that defend this system not understand that the problem is about the $$$$$$$$$? Seriously, there is a HUGE payout difference between Top 3 and Top 8. This system is shit when placings earn you different amounts of money. LOTS of money. Yea, I'm sure if you were in EG's shoes you would say "Ah darn but that's the system guys!" No. You would be furious that, because you matched the best team first round and lost, you get A LOT LESS MONEY. It's a shitty system and defending it is ridiculous. If they were gonna do this then they should only pay the winning team. Otherwise it's counter-intuitive.

You should never hear "damn _ team got a favorable bracket they can make it to the Final now easier than _ team". Double elimination is the only way to accurately determine the Top 8 teams in order, not just the best team.

All of your thinking rests on preconceived notions about who the "best" teams are. It's simple: if you want to win more money, beat your opposition.

As I've mentioned before though, it should be best of 11.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

RNG got 5-8 and won their pool. Elevate got top 4, but still only lost once (won their pool).

We're in the same boat of feelsbadman liquid is in

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yea just to be sure you are aware, which I'm sure you are, RNG has that right as well ;) Double Elim would have helped them out. We now missed out on the possible TL/RNG narrative matchup in Losers bracket, Or EG/RNG and TL/Denial

• Upvote (+1) 4

All of your thinking rests on preconceived notions about who the "best" teams are. It's simple: if you want to win more money, beat your opposition.

As I've mentioned before though, it should be best of 11.

It's not about preconceived notions in any way. It's about accurately determining the Top 8 teams in the order they should be in. In this system you could match the team that wins it all first round and lose. Now you have a low seed even though you possibly could've been the second best. No one knows. That's the problem.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

I really, really hate to say it, especially since I'm a bit biased as a Lethul fan, but...

I have a gut feeling CLG is gonna 4-0 Allegiance, making for an incredibly lack luster grand finals.

I don't know how its gonna be for viewership, but I don't know if we're gonna reach over 50k like we all thought.

I think single elim and bo5 quarters definitely sucked SOME of the potential excitement out of this tourney.

Also, on another note, I really feel bad for the guys on EG. All year long they played pretty solid, beating Denial, Allegiance, and even CLG on LAN (once). They show up and play poorly in ONE series and they get CLG first round (and let's be honest, no one is going to beat CLG).

I still believe they are a top 2 team that really struggled, emotionally and mentally after losing Lethul. Not only is Lethul irreplaceable, but their chemistry aspect never really recovered, especially Snipedown. He lost a bit of the clutch factor as the season went on and played pretty poorly this tournament. There's something about him that needs to figure out a better mental game because he's clearly an incredibly skilled top 5 player. He's just struggling to separate the mental game from his physical game.

Again, props to RNG for beating them, I'll never make an excuse, RNG outplayed EG, for sure, and CLG is definitely, no question the #1 team, but I just feel this tourney didn't do EGs skill justice.

Whatever happens to EG in the offseason I'll remain a fan and continue to support the players even if they decide to split up or retire.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I'm cheering for Allegiance because they have the cooler logo

Eagle, keeping it real as usual

I like @@LethuL and @@Naded a lot as players and people within the community, this is going to be hard to pick.

Dashboard advertising has the stream page ready to go, make sure to pre-install if you haven't yet if you want that armor set later.

It's not about preconceived notions in any way. It's about accurately determining the Top 8 teams in the order they should be in. In this system you could match the team that wins it all first round and lose. Now you have a low seed even though you possibly could've been the second best. No one knows. That's the problem.

I guess I just favour a more ruthless approach. The way I look at it, I don't see why EG deserves the opportunity to lose three times. They lost a game in pool play, and then lost in the bracket. You think they should be given another opportunity, because people generally consider them to be a top 3 team?

I think the placings this tournament are an accurate reflection of how well teams played. I certainly don't think the system is perfect, but the stakes are high and there has to be a losing team. I just personally am not in favour of systems that give high seeded teams the opportunity to essentially play poorly and I guess that's always going to end in painful results for some teams.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1