CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Lets play a game. Think back to when the H5 HWC was announced. Then think of Halo players who you thought had a shot at competing for the big $.

Now look back at those familiar players who fell short of Worlds:

2gre, Ola, Mikwen, Arkanum, Ryanoob, Goofy, Gabriel, Str8 sick, Hoaxer, Sargoth, Flamesword, Maniac, FearItSelf, T2

Those who didn't make top 4:

Snipedown, Commonly, Lunch, Roy, Ace, APG, Heinz, Spartan, Ninja, Victory X, Cloud, Hysteria, Assault

Just a random late night thought lol. Less than a year ago, I might've listed just 5 or 6 names of the entire list of players that placed among the top 4

teams. 

(and I'm sure I'm missing some names here and there. Which makes it all the more crazy)

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

A lot of people wanted and expected EG vs CLG finals. The bracket didn't work out that way, and people are frustrated.

If ALG were to somehow win the finals people would argue that they only won because they got an easier bracket. I've already seen it happening to an extent.

Personally I hate that mentality and I think it sucks that people would basically be saying Naded's first event win doesn't count.

I think theres a fair argument to be made that they had an easier bracket to the finals. Beating CLG would be undeniable though and most of us would eat crow. I know i would, i just dont think its going to happen.

Liquid 3-0s ALG in pool play, Denial 3-2s Liquid in the bracket but both teams finish lower than ALG. So yes and ill repeat, drawing for bracket spots in a single elimination tournament is a HUGE misrepresentation of skill and flat out disrespectful to any player/team in any sport/esport. Especially with this amount of money involved. They had the time and the second stream to run an 8 team double elimination bracket. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You know, thinking about it, Ogre 2 sort of is represented at Worlds afterall. Even though they dropped him, he was the one who had faith in and wanted to team with Royal 2 and Snakebite when there were stirrings that Halo was coming back. And those guys now are unquestionably top 5 players in the game. Tom made the right choice years ago.

I remember when he was dropped and i tried to find that tweet from years ago when he stuck up those 2 back when people questioned it. I never found it though.

Today I've seen tears of both utter joy and bitter disappointment. The passion of some of these players is truly unmatched.

Thinking back when I was at an AGL event in a BASEMENT watching these same players compete for a few grand, to now competing for a million dollars. Im so happy that these guys get this opportunity. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think theres a fair argument to be made that they had an easier bracket to the finals. Beating CLG would be undeniable though and most of us would eat crow. I know i would, i just dont think its going to happen.

Liquid 3-0s ALG in pool play, Denial 3-2s Liquid in the bracket but both teams finish lower than ALG. So yes and ill repeat, drawing for bracket spots in a single elimination tournament is a HUGE misrepresentation of skill and flat out disrespectful to any player/team in any sport/esport. Especially with this amount of money involved. They had the time and the second stream to run an 8 team double elimination bracket. 

Exactly. I have no idea why they didn't do double elim when Sunday is one match.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You best be trollin' son.

Deep down, I hope that this is an admission that automatics are broken, and weapon tuning update is in the end of the tournament.

The anti Allegiance narrative on here has been strong all season.

"They only win because of best of 3"

*win best of 5s*

"They only win because of Breakout"

*Breakout gets taken out*

"They only win online"

*place well on LAN*

"LOL easy bracket"

Somehow they've placed top 3/4 all season and they've done it all by pure luck if you go by the opinions of some people on here.

And yet they still havent beat Denial, EG, or CLG. They cant beat the best teams but theyre gonna get 2nd at worlds. I dont know why people cant see the problem with this.

• Downvote (-1) 4

My personal Rostermania predictions (WARNING: they might be all over the place):

CLG sticks together, win or lose tomorrow.

EG splits ways with Commonly. Lunchbox retires. Snipedown and Roy land 2 of the following: Penguin, Suspector, Spartan or Jimbo.

RNG Spartan, Ninja and Vic X stick together, unless EG offers Spartan a spot. Stellur leaves. RNG picks up Hysteria if Penguin goes to EG.

ALG stick together if they win tomorrow. If they lose, Naded and Suspector team with APG and Heinz. Unless Suspector gets the EG offer with Snipedown and Roy. Cratos breaks both his hands and never plays Halo again.

Denial splits. Huke and Bubu Dubu break off from Contra and Dev and join 2 guys who take scrims seriously. Contra and Dev team with Mikwen and Ogre 2.

Liquid organization dismantles. Fresh start with a mix of new faces. Ace stays and tries to recruit young talent.

Elevate tries to build around Penguin. If no offer from EG, Penguin teams with RNG.

Cloud 9 takes the remaining scraps.

Edit: Shooter joins a 3-studded team who needs a good 4th. Flame and Maniac find 2 others for Optic.

• Upvote (+1) 5

You know, thinking about it, Ogre 2 sort of is represented at Worlds afterall. Even though they dropped him, he was the one who had faith in and wanted to team with Royal 2 and Snakebite when there were stirrings that Halo was coming back. And those guys now are unquestionably top 5 players in the game. Tom made the right choice years ago.

Not that frosty did this intentionally, but I had that thought when I saw frosty wearing a final boss hoodie for their first match of the tournament.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

And yet they still havent beat Denial, EG, or CLG. They cant beat the best teams but theyre gonna get 2nd at worlds. I dont know why people cant see the problem with this.

I can think of two teams that Allegiance beat this weekend who played better than EG, and neither of them are Denial or CLG.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Kampy said he would for sure leave Faze for EG  :intel:

EG doesn't need another downgrade.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh I understand, I'm not a fan of single elim bracket either. My whole point is just that you can't discredit Allegiance for their performance. Both RNG and Elevate placed 1st in their pools, beating EG and Denial respectively.

So the two teams Allegiance beat happened to beat two of the so-called "best teams".

I understand your dislike for single elim, I dislike it too because not all teams face eachother, but whoever wins still legitimately earns it IMO. And Allegiance has rightfully earned top 2.

• Upvote (+1) 2

They earned their placings.

Random pools with random brackets isn't earning your place. Elevate and Denial played significantly easier teams to place top 4 than EG who had to face both RNG and Allegiance with no chance at redemption.

Liquid lost a total of 3 maps at Worlds. But they earned only top 8? It's ok to have a balance between thinking some teams earned their place and some got fucked over.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Should have had double elim with this much money on the line. The fact that people have to question a teams path to the finals says it all already. And why were there random draws in the first place.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think the core of the issue here is lack of double elim. Which is something pretty much all of us agree is the way to go.

I feel like there would be less annoyance at how the bracket panned out if a lot of people's favourite teams weren't out of the tournament already.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Lets play a game. Think back to when the H5 HWC was announced. Then think of Halo players who you thought had a shot at competing for the big $.

Now look back at those familiar players who fell short of Worlds:

2gre, Ola, Mikwen, Arkanum, Ryanoob, Goofy, Gabriel, Str8 sick, Hoaxer, Sargoth, Flamesword, Maniac, FearItSelf, T2

Those who didn't make top 4:

Snipedown, Commonly, Lunch, Roy, Ace, APG, Heinz, Spartan, Ninja, Victory X, Cloud, Hysteria, Assault

Just a random late night thought lol. Less than a year ago, I might've listed just 5 or 6 names of the entire list of players that placed among the top 4

teams. 

(and I'm sure I'm missing some names here and there. Which makes it all the more crazy)

Allegiance are the only ones that survived Hurricane Lethul 

The only teams that have taken games off of CLG on LAN since X-Games are Epsilon, eLevate, and Denial. EG had two chances and couldn't do it. Renegades beat EG. eLevate 3-0'd Epsilon AND Denial. Allegiance beat Renegades and eLevate. I don't see a problem.

Nobody is happy about the format but let's not use it as an excuse to invalidate a team's performance. They earned their placings.

When you hear someone gets 2nd or 3rd at an event what does that mean to you? To me it means theyre 2nd or 3rd best. We cant say that after this event. A person doesnt earn the lottery simply by buying a ticket.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I understand that people aren't used to single elimination, but it's still a legit tournament structure.

Sports use single elim. Literally no one is complaining that it's unfair. Because it's not. It's just different.

I have seen soccer teams lose in the group stages vs teams and then go on to win the tournament. No one is saying that the team's win is undeserved etc. If you play incredibly in pool play, then get thrashed in bracket play then you have no one but yourself to blame. Bracket play is when you have to clutch up.

Likewise, you can't blame Allegiance for defeating the two teams that placed 1st in their group. CLG defeated two teams that placed 2nd in their group.

Id agree if it were a winner takes all type of prize.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Thinking back when I was at an AGL event in a BASEMENT watching these same players compete for a few grand, to now competing for a million dollars. Im so happy that these guys get this opportunity.

AGL 6 Pittsburgh. Wasn't that in the basement of a card shop or something? Crazy to think how far we've come.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I understand that people aren't used to single elimination, but it's still a legit tournament structure.

Sports use single elim. Literally no one is complaining that it's unfair. Because it's not. It's just different.

I have seen soccer teams lose in the group stages vs teams and then go on to win the tournament. No one is saying that the team's win is undeserved etc. If you play incredibly in pool play, then get thrashed in bracket play then you have no one but yourself to blame. Bracket play is when you have to clutch up.

Likewise, you can't blame Allegiance for defeating the two teams that placed 1st in their group. CLG defeated two teams that placed 2nd in their group.

I'd also like to note no one was this opposed to single elim at X Games when Allegiance placed 3rd and CLG placed 2nd despite never facing eachother.

To be fair, if soccer did double elim for over a decade and then switched it before a tournament, soccer fans would probably take issue with that.  

I'm excited for allegiance and believe they deserve to be where they are, but I'm still disappointed in some of the matches we would have been able to see with a losers bracket.