CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. But what's the move, then? In your mind, what's the ideal plan of action to get us to your full definition of "back"?

Releasing a game that's not shit, half-finished, or both would be a fantastic start, IMHOtep

As crazy as it sounds, a AAA title needs a AAA population in order to drive AAA-level eSports events in a manner that is at least roughly self-sustaining.

Also LAN and split-screen would be wonderful. You know, those things that you basically NEED in order to have a healthy local scene.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 5

I think the big thing to keep in mind is that Halo took a MAJOR hit with Reach, 4 and H2A collectively. Anything done now has to dig from the hole they buried as @@Moses_FPS noted. First we have to regain the seat we had, then we can grow more and more.

Each and every successful tournament with a great viewership is good, no matter what. How many of that 40k do you think were new viewers who enjoyed it and will be back? I know I have friends who came into the Discord chat this weekend who've never watched a Halo tournament and enjoyed it and plan on watching Worlds. Baby steps. Halo, League of Legends, CS:GO, Smash and all the other eSports titles didn't start with tens of thousands of viewers for tournaments. Its a gradual process that takes work, effort, money and community support.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Releasing a game that's not shit, half-finished, or both would be a fantastic start, IMHOtep

As crazy as it sounds, a AAA title needs a AAA population in order to drive AAA-level eSports events in a manner that is at least roughly self-sustaining.

Well the idea that the game is shit is pretty subjective (for instance, I think it's really good with some room for small improvements, but that's just my opinion), but the whole half-finished thing obviously has some merit. And I'm with you 100% on the split-screen/LAN issue.

I think this discussion kind of started because people keep seeing somewhat cynical posts from you, but may have interest in your real concrete thoughts on how to improve. Your response above seems to imply that you basically think we're fucked beyond repair though, which I guess would explain the cynicism. 

I take a more hopeful approach, perhaps because I enjoy playing and watching the game. I think the scene can grow (yes, relying on the investment of Microsoft) to the point that it can stand alone, but I'm not sure what that plan of action looks like.

• Upvote (+1) 3

We aren't back, hell we had a decrease in viewership from last event, even with the Greenwall we couldn't grow.

Imagine if Optic didn't completely scrub it up this season how much BIGGER the green wall viewership would've been.  Maybe if they could've gotten just as invested in the game along with the players instead of just the 'player personalities' themselves they would've watched the entire event.

• Downvote (-1) 3

No coach would have improved Optic's chances of winning this tournament.  They didn't have the type of squad to compete with top teams.  That combined with a late start of grinding, the chemistry is just not there.

Nobody thought they would win.. top 8 was definitely possible though. Think they proved that they can hang in the top 12. I hope they stick together.

On the 20k discussion:

Just lol. Bunch of suburban kids with no bills to pay talking about how $20,000 wouldn't change their life. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Moving into a house is life changing? Why? You arent paying the house off. You still have to work.

Life changing money is winning the powerball or the mega millions, not winning 20k.

Life changing money is subjective. It depends on the individuals situation. For you 20k might not drastically change your life, but maybe there's a pro who's struggling to make ends meet because he wants to dedicate as much time as possible to trying be a pro halo player. He's barely able o pay rent and groceries and keep the power on. That's a shit load of stress. Now imagine he suddenly wins 25k. What a massive relief that is for him. Less stress, more focus, probably more happiness. Tell me that kids life didn't just change.

Tldr: "life changing money" is subjective. There is no right or wrong definition so everybody chill out.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Halo used to sell consoles, so weak XB1 sales can be at least partially blamed on MCC and H5 being shitty releases. How do you think the original Xbox would've fared if not for H1 and H2 in succession? Microsoft would've been out of the game completely.

Of course, there's also the fact that H5 can't be split-screened or LAN'ed...LITERALLY the lifeblood of local competitive Halo interest.

You're ignoring what I've been saying. No one would care about Halo 5 tournaments if Microsoft didn't drop $2.5 million to manually drive interest. We would be right back to AGL-level bullshit without that money being in play. And of course there are going to be competitors for an event where you're guaranteed a decent payout, who wouldn't sign up for that?

Were we "back" when the HGC happened? That had very good stream numbers, at least according to these standards, and lots of people coming around to see what all the fuss was about. As I said, competitive Halo is on dialysis right now - it's conscious but it's not getting out of bed. If Microsoft pulls the plug after crunching the numbers and realizing that a $2.5 million prize pool didn't generate the kind of return that they wanted (and therefore they don't want to do it again), H5 dies.

Let's also remember that TeamBeyond is literally the only place on the internet that cares about competitive Halo. /r/Halo gives 2000+ upvotes to shit like "Emile's helmet", and about 100 per HWC update. Waypoint doesn't care either.

Honestly I'm very sleepy and at work right now ... let me just say that of course we have a long way to go (personally I think that H6 will be the real sign of whether or not Halo esports can be truly popular), but with H5 I was honestly expecting the HWC to flop pretty hard.  I expected very few new faces in the HWC, peak viewership at 10k-15k on Twitch, and less interest on TB.  H5 esports is doing reasonably well and this is why it's fair to say that we're back, to an extent

Idk why they took out lan and split screen support for h5 unless they are trying to get more people to buy xb1s

Idk why they took out lan and split screen support for h5 unless they are trying to get more people to buy xb1s

I really miss LAN

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think they took split screen out due to the fact that there would be terrible frame rate issues when using split screen.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Part of this had to do with the fact that the game used to be ours - we didn't have Big Brother telling us what the settings were going to be.

I disagree with pretty much everything you said, but to pick out one obviously wrong point, from halo 2 onward (I can't speak for H1), we most definitely did have Big Brother telling us what to play. Big Brother was MLG - all anyone played was their settings. Playing anything other than the 11 tournament gametypes was a waste of time to 99% of the community.

Unless you want to argue that MLG was 'us'... in which case we'll have to agree to disagree.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Honestly I'm very sleepy and at work right now ... let me just say that of course we have a long way to go (personally I think that H6 will be the real sign of whether or not Halo esports can be truly popular), but with H5 I was honestly expecting the HWC to flop pretty hard.  I expected very few new faces in the HWC, peak viewership at 10k-15k on Twitch, and less interest on TB.  H5 esports is doing reasonably well and this is why it's fair to say that we're back, to an extent

I don't want Halo to fail. But I don't want to see it slumped over in a wheelchair with an IV in its arm, either.

The Halo developers have done so much that's just wrong in the last six years or so, but when something like this event happens (and boy does stuff like this happen often), people are so eager and willing to absolve them, and seeing that makes me sick. People should be angry or at least stern, but they're not.

I disagree with pretty much everything you said,

Riveting.

but to pick out one obviously wrong point, from halo 2 onward (I can't speak for H1), we most definitely did have Big Brother telling us what to play. Big Brother was MLG - all anyone played was their settings. Playing anything other than the 11 tournament gametypes was a waste of time to 99% of the community.

MLG settings were a consensus on the most competitive way to play the game. They had the good sense to turn radar off, change settings between events, and remove shit that was broken like equipment (whereas 343 would've kept the regen field in play). Their only big sin was Killa KC and his unwillingness to consider more Forge maps in H3.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Life changing money is subjective. It depends on the individuals situation. For you 20k might not drastically change your life, but maybe there's a pro who's struggling to make ends meet because he wants to dedicate as much time as possible to trying be a pro halo player. He's barely able o pay rent and groceries and keep the power on. That's a shit load of stress. Now imagine he suddenly wins 25k. What a massive relief that is for him. Less stress, more focus, probably more happiness. Tell me that kids life didn't just change.

Tldr: "life changing money" is subjective. There is no right or wrong definition so everybody chill out.

Its the wording that I have trouble with. Life changing. Set for life. Terms like these are NEVER used in the real world when talking about 20-25k. They just arent. 

What 20k can do is exactly what you say, helps pay rent, buy groceries and keeps the lights on. BUT for how long? 

I have already mentioned how minimal 20k is when talking in terms of a 15-30 year mortgage (all youre doing here with 20k is lowering your monthly payment $100, on a 100k loan, thats still $700 a month payment). I sell cars for a living, thats what I do and I have been financially successful doing so by the grace of god. I bring this up because there have been posters saying they can buy a new car. Well, yes and no. You can get a decent car for 20k but I think most of you would be surprised at just what a 20k car looks like, especially a brand new one. 

If you're renting a place, sure it will help pay rent but for how long? Average rent around the country for a ONE BEDROOM is anywhere from $550-$750 monthly. Sure, that will help pay rent for a little while but renting is a bad investment anyway and apparently we have in this forum some of the most saavy businessman in the country so obviously you guys know that. 

Some posters have talked about investing. Well ok, thats a great idea and one that I fully support, but please tell me what exactly do you plan on investing in and what do you do while waiting on your investment to become profitable? 

I have said multiple times in this thread that 20k is a nice sum of money, where I take issue is when someone uses the phrase life changing and the even more insane phrase set for life. Neither of those things are true.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 14