CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Virtually all esports content is subsidized ... the golden age of MLG Halo was also subsidized, by venture capitalists.  Also Dallas had over 1,000 people for the FFA alone and at least 200 teams iirc.

I mean, are you just trying to find an unnecessarily elaborate way of saying that H5 isn't as popular as H3?  Then you just blew my effing mind; yes, obviously, the XB1 system is not selling very well, there's a massive amount of competition from other games, and H5 has sold reasonably well but not amazingly well.

H5 isn't as popular as H3 - not nearly as much, in fact - in an age of full streaming convenience, far greater networking capabilities, greater input from gaming organizations, and heavy dev support.

That's my point.

Would 256 team passes for H5 sell out in ten minutes?  No, they would not.  Is H5 doing surprisingly well in terms of org investment, new pros, Twitch viewership, and REQ sales?  Yes, it is.  Starcraft 2 gets 30k-40k viewers for the final day of regional tournaments (which are also dev-supported).  Smash gets similar viewers for regional tournaments (like BEAST 6).  H5 is arguably doing as well as these mid-tier esports on most metrics.

SC2 is practically dead, so I'm not sure what kind of equivalency you're trying to make there - the developer practically gave up on the game and that's the bar we're trying to hit?

"We back!" means that we're back ... I'm not sure if you were watching AGL H4 tournaments like I was, but I assure you, we're doing pretty well, and hopefully this is just the beginning.

Pretty well is certainly relative. I will continue to maintain that we are not "back" until interest in competitive Halo is genuine.

Again, you can call it hair splitting, but what I'm seeing out of the competitive community these days is complacency, and that's probably the worst thing of all.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

5 pages later still talking about the same damn thing....

HOW ABOUT THAT WEEKEND!!!!!!

• Upvote (+1) 8

This shit is hilarious. 20k is in no way life changing. 

Ridiculous and absurd.

I swear that you do this on purpose to stir some magical and imaginary pot.

I could change Chastity's life at the Strip Club with $20K...

Just saying.

With $20k you could change Chastity AND Cinnamon's lives.

#StripperLivesMatter

#Strip4Tip

• Upvote (+1) 3

I could change Chastity's life at the Strip Club with $20K...

Just saying.

For the love of god, someone post that old gif of Bravo and Ghost as strippers throwing out Halo 2 disks. I can't find it anywhere.

I will continue to maintain that we are not "back" until interest in competitive Halo is genuine.

How does one gauge this?

This shit is hilarious. 20k is in no way life changing.

Ridiculous and absurd.

I get what this guy is saying. 20k is life enriching, but it's not going to change your life. You're still most likely going to live in the same city, with the same lifestyle, sane friends, etc. It will just be slightly better.

• Upvote (+1) 3

How does one gauge this?

When we have what Smash has as a foundation (which can be built up from there).

If you'll all recall correctly, we used to shit on Smash with absolutely zero help from Bungie.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I get what this guy is saying. 20k is life enriching, but it's not going to change your life. You're still most likely going to live in the same city, with the same lifestyle, sane friends, etc. It will just be slightly better.

tumblr_mius0t6pGM1s4m09xo1_500.gif

• Downvote (-1) 3

I've used so many upvotes/downvotes today about people debating about $20k. Neat. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just like when he didn't place well in H3? Oh wait he came back and destroyed 2010. Like when he didn't place top 8 in Reach? Oh wait the God Squad happened. When he retired after Reach? Oh he came back and won an H2A event and placed top 2 nearly every tournament. He can come back if he wants to. His career was never defined by his failures after H2 but instead how he came back from them

I think as eSports progresses we are going to see that players have about the same potential career length as athletes from other sports.  Most sports lose the majority of their players by the time they hit their early 30's, like 32 or 33.  Only the truly exceptional (and sometimes lucky) play longer than that.  eSports will probably lose even good players a little younger than that, but i would blame the lack of financial stability in the scene for that more than the skill of the players.  Even players from the bottom-feeder teams in the NBA, NFL and NHL can make enough money in a short career to retire off of (assuming they don't blow it all at on stupid shit).  They can take minimum or close to minimum contracts and keep playing if they want.  In eSports that simply isn't the case, eventually you have to get a "real" job if you aren't consistently in the Top 4, regardless of your skill and desire.

That is also all dependent on the popularity of the game and potential prize pools.  If the game isn't supported enough by the devs or community, even placing top 4 all the time wont be enough money to live off of.

2gre has some years left if he wants to.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you'll all recall correctly, we used to shit on Smash with absolutely zero help from Bungie.

I think that's a fair statement and can agree. I feel like it is obtainable, too.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's so much easier to get into competitive Smash though. All you need is a controller. For Halo you need three other committed teammates. Halo isn't at %100 or even close but it's undeniably on an upward trajectory. Also Smash's success is the exemption to the rule when it comes to dev support. Almost all eSports rely on some form of dev support so to downplay halos recent success due to 343's support is silly.

So you admit you could put a down payment on a house and move in with 20K and quite literally change your life, but it's not "life-changing"

If 20k is life changing for you, I doubt you will be able to afford the monthly payments of a 150k+ house.
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 9

If H5 was the greatest Halo game of all time and had everything that the casual and hardcore fanbases wanted ... it still wouldn't be as popular as H3.  The XB1 is a terrible console and PC gaming is effing huge now; it's just not 2007 anymore.  Given the restraints that the Halo franchise is operating under, I'm honestly surprised it's doing as well as it is.  There's a ceiling to how far an XB1-exclusive FPS esport can go in 2016.

the xbox is the worst thing to happen to competitive halo

honestly, i don't think halo will ever be on pc, at least not for a very long time, i spent nearly 500 dollars to play halo mcc and H5 (including the console) 

i wonder how many other people literally only bought the xbox to play halo, probably a large amount 

i'm happy with 40k viewership considering this is the first season of h5 and considering the hole halo is trying to dig itself out of 

also nothing against the halo players for optic but they did the community a huge disservice by not qualifying for HWC, optic is the biggest console org and it won't be represented at HWC, that's bad for the growth of competitive halo

halo needs local tourneys, and well, lan/splitscreen isn't a thing so good luck

• Upvote (+1) 2

If H5 was the greatest Halo game of all time and had everything that the casual and hardcore fanbases wanted ... it still wouldn't be as popular as H3.  The XB1 is a terrible console and PC gaming is effing huge now; it's just not 2007 anymore.  Given the restraints that the Halo franchise is operating under, I'm honestly surprised it's doing as well as it is.  There's a ceiling to how far an XB1-exclusive FPS esport can go in 2016.

Halo used to sell consoles, so weak XB1 sales can be at least partially blamed on MCC and H5 being shitty releases. How do you think the original Xbox would've fared if not for H1 and H2 in succession? Microsoft would've been out of the game completely.

Of course, there's also the fact that H5 can't be split-screened or LAN'ed...LITERALLY the lifeblood of local competitive Halo interest.

SC2 is stabilized, not dead; obviously down from its 2011-12 levels but the point is that it's now a mid-tier esport with a lot of dev support, i.e., doing pretty well, but not great.

Can you explain to me how 30k-40k viewers on Twitch, 120k pageviews on TB in a single day, and 16 legitimately good NA teams in the HWC = "ungenuine" interest in competitive Halo?  Dev support does not make it "ungenuine," as virtually all esports have dev support.

You're ignoring what I've been saying. No one would care about Halo 5 tournaments if Microsoft didn't drop $2.5 million to manually drive interest. We would be right back to AGL-level bullshit without that money being in play. And of course there are going to be competitors for an event where you're guaranteed a decent payout, who wouldn't sign up for that?

Were we "back" when the HGC happened? That had very good stream numbers, at least according to these standards, and lots of people coming around to see what all the fuss was about. As I said, competitive Halo is on dialysis right now - it's conscious but it's not getting out of bed. If Microsoft pulls the plug after crunching the numbers and realizing that a $2.5 million prize pool didn't generate the kind of return that they wanted (and therefore they don't want to do it again), H5 dies.

Let's also remember that TeamBeyond is literally the only place on the internet that cares about competitive Halo. /r/Halo gives 2000+ upvotes to shit like "Emile's helmet", and about 100 per HWC update. Waypoint doesn't care either.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 2

If 20k is life changing for you, I doubt you will be able to afford the monthly payments of a 150k+ house.

20k would pay off my student loans. If that's not life changing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. But what's the move, then? In your mind, what's the ideal plan of action to get us to your full definition of "back"?

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's so much easier to get into competitive Smash though. All you need is a controller. For Halo you need three other committed teammates. Halo isn't at %100 or even close but it's undeniably on an upward trajectory. Also Smash's success is the exemption to the rule when it comes to dev support. Almost all eSports rely on some form of dev support so to downplay halos recent success due to 343's support is silly.

And as I said, we used to dominate Smash even with the hurdles you're describing.

That is why we are not "back", and why the competitive community needs to harp on the developer to stop making stupid decisions that continue to harm the collective interest of this franchise so much that they have to force it via huge payouts.

• Upvote (+1) 3

the xbox is the worst thing to happen to competitive halo

honestly, i don't think halo will ever be on pc, at least not for a very long time, i spent nearly 500 dollars to play halo mcc and H5 (including the console) 

i wonder how many other people literally only bought the xbox to play halo, probably a large amount 

i'm happy with 40k viewership considering this is the first season of h5 and considering the hole halo is trying to dig itself out of 

also nothing against the halo players for optic but they did the community a huge disservice by not qualifying for HWC, optic is the biggest console org and it won't be represented at HWC, that's bad for the growth of competitive halo

halo needs local tourneys, and well, lan/splitscreen isn't a thing so good luck

this guy

• Upvote (+1) 2