CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Personally I don't think Ola played badly, if Mikwen really is going solo, I'd like to see Ola get picked up after Worlds. Him and some young guns would be cool.

H2A bracket was perfect. Not a fan of single elimination pool play. I know professional sports isn't always fair, but I think we have the power to do it better with video games. To think the seeds are 100% accurate going to regionals just isn't true.

Also, the rest of the world should qualify to come here to play in regionals. Worse teams shouldn't be getting easier money and further along because they live in easier parts of the world. 8 teams elsewhere are making it to worlds while only 8 teams here are. While that's fair numbers, 8 teams are getting a way better shot at making worlds than 20+ teams here. I'm sure people here would be happy if 343 took 100k out of the prize pool to fiance people coming here.

Honestly, if 343 is trying to build the HWC as a truly global event where anyone in the world has the chance to play for millions of dollars, then each part of the world should have a representative of their own at the Finals. It's near impossible to build on the limited interest in a game in certain areas unless you give them a reason to be interested. What better way than give them a hometown team to root for? Will they lose? Yeah. Will they lose badly? Probably. But it's necessary for growth to occur.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Honestly, if 343 is trying to build the HWC as a truly global event where anyone in the world has the chance to fight for millions of dollars, then each part of the world should have a representative of their own at the Finals.

I think each part of the world should have representatives at the regionals, then go from there. Worse teams getting more money because they live in an easier part of the world while diluting worlds of the actual best teams in the world doesn't really sound too good to me. It's awesome that other parts of the world want to compete and can compete, but it shouldn't come at the expense of the main playerbase. There might be good teams in the rest of the world that can win, I don't know yet. But teams shouldn't go to worlds over other teams because of where they live at. I think spectators getting the absolute best competition is more important than the nonexistent fanbase in other countries.

In a perfect world, that's what I would want to see. Not saying the setup is bad right now, but I think it could be better.

16th-9th place get 25k. Some teams are going to get that money with a significantly easier path than other teams.

So after crowd funding is it just going to stay at 1 million for the winners? And when will they show the trophy also? Interested to see what it looks like.

If anything expand Worlds to 24 teams. 12 NA teams.

Double round Robin pool play. Top team from each pool gets randomly seeded 1-4 and placed in quarter finals. The other 8 teams who make it out of pools have to win a randomly drawn play-in game. 2 seed from a pool vs 3 seed from another pool.

The winners of the play-in games are then randomly drawn into double elim bracket play with the pool winners. So we have an 8 team double elimination bracket at this point.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Also if international performance really does become an issue, and they want to stick with a 16-team HWC, then they could award half a spot of qualification like FIFA does with CONMEBOL, CONCACAF, the OFC, and AFC and make them play a playoff series to gain qualification. But that would be fairly expensive for whoever has to pay out their travel, and would also be a waste of time and resources for however many teams have to travel that far, lose a single series, and not qualify. Really, it's just not logically possible to do so.

But I don't see anything wrong with the format to begin with, so I doubt it'll go even that far.

I think each part of the world should have representatives at the regionals, then go from there. Worse teams getting more money because they live in an easier part of the world while diluting worlds of the actual best teams in the world doesn't really sound too good to me. It's awesome that other parts of the world want to compete and can compete, but it shouldn't come at the expense of the main playerbase. There might be good teams in the rest of the world that can win, I don't know yet. But teams shouldn't go to worlds over other teams because of where they live at. I think spectators getting the absolute best competition is more important than the nonexistent fanbase in other countries.

In a perfect world, that's what I would want to see. Not saying the setup is bad right now, but I think it could be better.

16th-9th place get 25k. Some teams are going to get that money with a significantly easier path than other teams.

Is it their fault that their competition isn't as stiff in their region? What incentive is there in these regions to put in the time to play at a professional level if there is a reduced opportunity to make money? Without getting to play against top rate opponents, how do they gain experience?

They are also dealing with reduced opportunities to make money from streaming and endorsements. If the scene is ever going to grow, the lower tier areas can't be treated like lower teir areas.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I feel the current team could be a lot better if they had a coach who understands the game.

No coach would have improved Optic's chances of winning this tournament.  They didn't have the type of squad to compete with top teams.  That combined with a late start of grinding, the chemistry is just not there.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Not even that. Just play more and stop pranking nadeshot all day..

Catch up Vision bro, Nadeshot has been out of the house for almost a year now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've found a lot of people on the forums are having some trouble understanding what possible groups can happen for worlds. I will give a brief description since there is quite a small number of possibilities (I will use the word 'pool' only to describe what the teams are drawn from and 'group' for the teams who will play a round robin together at the preliminaries):

CLG will have either Epsilon or FAB in their group, with the other in Denial's group. EG will have either Infused or Excel in their group, with the other in Allegience's group. We now have four groups. Each group will get a 5-8 seed from NA with no restrictions. The final spot will be a non-EU, non-NA team with the only restriction that a team from the same pool cannot be in that group.

Hope this helps.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why am I not surprised that the only posts I by @@Cursed Lemon all weekend are cynical? :\

I know how much Halo used to mean to you but I doubt you'll ever be a fan ever again. Give it a rest and move on man.

This.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i feel so bad for envyus. they grinded there asses off and than ended up running into a team that was just on fire and went on to beat liquid and allegiance and make the finals.

this is why i dont like this group play over just haveing a double elimination bracket because envyus should have had a chance to take out triggers pound or noble for the 8th seed. and im assuming that would have happened and would have been a crazy hyped up game to watch...the fight for the last worlds spot.

overall though this weekend was awesome to watch. denials run was incredible! those 4 have so much potential.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Ended up going to bed last night before it ended, who won?

Would literally take all of 30 secs to find out who won.  Look up @ HCS on Twitter...

CLG won. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

i thought Roy said this was his last season competing? and if he had to drag LBX back into it at the start of H2A, I'd assume LBX would be out as well

Roy said it was his last halo, and no, that's why EG originally had asked Naded and he said yes. Then Lunchbox decided he wanted to play.

Seeing how the event turned out, NV really didn't look all that bad. I mean they only lost to denial and EG. And looking back they very well could have been up 2-0 on denial had Mikwen not charged rocket corner. Disappointing still, but at least they werent losing to mediocre teams.

That charge on red elbow , omg it hurts.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

30 seconds is a conservative estimate.

Would literally take all of 30 secs to find out who won.  Look up @ HCS on Twitter...

CLG won. 

i just realized how badly halo.gg sucks

there's very little info on that page

• Upvote (+1) 1

It wasn't just scatter, he was able to switch between both of his weapons (BR as well). So in theory, maybe rockets would be possible to.

Picture this, fathom flag with plasma rifle. Unstoppable.

Does Bubu Dubu remind anyone else of a young Pistola? Takes forever to kill him

My thought, too.

I really like this Denial squad.... I can't wait until they (hopefully) leave Denial.

Fantastically fun squad to watch... terrible org to play for. I know they didn't have a lot of options, though.