CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Just want to take a moment to thank everyone running the tournament for being willing to alter/adjust the schedule (who's on stream) to keep with the important matchups and the ones people want to see. Putting OG vs ALG and EG vs Denial on stream are both good decisions and that flexibility is a really good thing. I hadn't seen anyone mention it, so I wanted to bring it up real quick.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Small chance? with those 4 players?

you are just looking st the names and thinking they will be automatically great. Sytongaide really hadn't been great since halo 2. Neighbor since halo 3. And ogre 2 and ola just failed to qualify for worlds so yes a very small chance

I have to agree with Moa. Just because the veterans I used to watch lost doesn't make Halo any less exciting. Age means nothing when he comes to pressing buttons and I'm happy there's new talent. I remember when bubudubu would stream snipe formal and he somehow got his name out there. Commonly used to get rekt'd by ninja 1v1 and now he's on EG.

I'm happy for these kids, they make the game exciting.

Some people here really really need to let the nostalgia go, and if you can't, good riddance I guess.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Its the same way LoL and CoD champs do it. Not saying it's right, but it's not exclusively a Halo thing.

It's not even exclusively an eSports thing. When North Korea qualified for the 2010 World Cup they were around the 110th or so in FIFA rankings. There were much better teams than them missing out, but it's a result you're going to get from worldwide tournaments.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Its the same way LoL and CoD champs do it. Not saying it's right, but it's not exclusively a Halo thing.

Yeah, not a fan of it honestly. I take back what I said about saying "worse teams are going to worlds". I think all teams should funnel into one place to qualify. The other teams might be better than nV. Who knows. I want to actually know for sure.

I know money is a factor and all that, so it might not be feasible, but in a perfect world thats what I would want to see. I don't care too much at the end of the day. It would always be nice to see a true "even" tournament though.

I have to agree with Moa. Just because the veterans I used to watch lost doesn't make Halo any less exciting. Age means nothing when he comes to pressing buttons and I'm happy there's new talent. I remember when bubudubu would stream snipe formal and he somehow got his name out there. Commonly used to get rekt'd by ninja 1v1 and now he's on EG.

Some people here really really need to let the nostalgia go, and if you can't, good riddance I guess.

Agreed.

A good analogue is tennis. 30 is ancient for a pro player, and when guys like Sampras/Agassi/Federer/Djokovic are past their prime, there's always a new generation of exciting players to take their place, both for old fans and new fans. 

And so it goes. 

OMG how did they not cap after that OVERKILL?!

No problem with that Coachmayne said at all. He's 100% right. We're gonna have the top 8 halo teams and then 8 teams that are top 64 at best. No chance I'll watch the first day 1/2 of worlds. It'll be all blowouts.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 12

smh at you guys not watching this series. these teams are neck and neck skill-wise and goofy just pulled off an insane flag stop

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Well I've come on to an interesting time. nV out really saddens me for the nostalgic reasons but fair play at the same time. Ogre 2 and Ola will probably bounce back from this but that must hurt big time.

Congrats to denial, I'm a goat fan for sure but everyone from denial impressed me in that series. Not too sure what the big deal is with age. The ogres were young once too, carbon were all 17/18 during h2s final season. Lil Poison was competing by like age 7/8.

No matter what year in halo, there have always been new and young talent that emerge.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think for people new to the scene, it's not a big deal to not have veterans make it. However, for a lot of people, including myself, not seeing some of the OG names make it is really a blow to the viewing experience. It's equivalent to not having your team make it to the Superbowl. Will I watch it? Probably. Will I care as much? No. 

I also think a lot of the salt has to do with the fact that many of us think a lot of these pros were cheated out of bunch of years of greatness. That gap between Halo 3 and Halo 5 was so long, and could have been filled with great memories if a competitive Halo game was actually released during then. 

Good for these newcomers, but I don't love Halo enough as a game to get excited about viewing it. I watch because of the personalities that I've grown up with and liked. Doesn't mean I think we should somehow fudge the results and make it so these OG players make it into worlds, it's just that it sucks. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

Not trying to be that guy, but it kinda does say something about this game that a 15 year old (who is an ex-cod player) randomly decided to play and two moths later he beats 2 of the most successful Halo players of al time. (who are by no means washed) Sure it is a very competitive game, but the classic Halo skill set, which was relevant for over ten years, doesn't apply nearly as much anymore. 

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 11