CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

It wouldn't make sense for the next HCS season to have the same prize pool because the next season is a pro-league and not the HWC. The HWC is an event that will take place once a year for 2-3 moths out of the year (from what we know). HWC 2017 will be about a year from now and that should have around the same prize pool as this years. More likely than not there will be 1-3 pro league seasons between now and the next HWC (most likely 2)

Semantics aside about what is called what, my point remains that HWC 2017 should have the same or larger prize pool than HWC 2016. It would be a mistake to do anything else. 

"hey guys, we got you hooked on this game with a big prize pool for HWC 2016, and we've made a lot of money over the first 1.5 years of it's release, so to get you super pumped for HWC 2017 and make sure we keep building momentum in this extremely popular realm of eSports, the prize pool is $500K!!!"  

Semantics aside about what is called what, my point remains that HWC 2017 should have the same or larger prize pool than HWC 2016. It would be a mistake to do anything else. 

"hey guys, we got you hooked on this game with a big prize pool for HWC 2016, and we've made a lot of money over the first 1.5 years of it's release, so to get you super pumped for HWC 2017 and make sure we keep building momentum in this extremely popular realm of eSports, the prize pool is $500K!!!"  

Realistically, do you think MS is slated to make any profit from HWC this year or next year, or the one after that? Maybe they were banking on Halo 5 exploding in popularity?

Note that I'm not talking about REQ packs, but HCS and HWC.

I do not disagree. I am expecting some type of a release next fall that will stimulate req pack sales. My guess is large a DLC release or (what I would do if I was M$) a revamp of the req store and making h5 f2p. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Realistically, do you think MS is slated to make any profit from HWC this year or next year, or the one after that? Maybe they were banking on Halo 5 exploding in popularity?

Note that I'm not talking about REQ packs, but HCS and HWC.

No, but I think if they're smart they're not really looking at profiting off the competitions right now; they're probably looking 5 years down the road. Anyone that works in gaming, advertising, or marketing should be looking at this scene (not just Halo, but eSports in general) as the next "frontier" that has the potential to blow up.  MS would be wise to invest in every way possible now to make sure Halo is firmly entrenched in the scene, and I think they're trying to do just that.  

Don't worry, they will save money by holding season 2 in my basement.

• Upvote (+1) 2

500K would still be the second largest halo payout ever....

Riot just announced where the league of legends world champ will be held this fall.

343 has yet to announce the tourney location that will happen this spring? Good marketing!

Accidental neg.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Have we ever gotten word from someone in 343 regarding why double-elimination has been abolished for Halo 5?

Single Elim brackets are more hype, simply because every match is do or die.

Also "Because LoL does it that way."

Do yall know and just can't tell us, or does only 343/MLG know where World's is?

At XGames, we asked where Worlds was.  The lady said "I can't tell you."

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Questions like:

"Who's the best player outside of your team?"

"Who is the best at staying alive outside of your team?"

"Who is the hardest to outshoot outside of your team"

I guess I just want pro choice awards back, but in general any questions that the pros can get about their unique knowledge of the game rather than generic stuff like, "so what made you decide to go pro?"

• Upvote (+1) 2

Single Elim brackets are more hype, simply because every match is do or die.

Also "Because LoL does it that way."

If pool play is Bo5 and semis are played Bo7 IMO there is no need for double-elim, every game COUNTS and in every game EVERYONE has to bring their A game to win cuz every match is that decisive. While giving the spectator a long enough series they can enjoy.

Edit : Dota 2 Master Race also does it that way.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

We need 343 to start the hype with tweeting about team grudge matches and such.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If pool play is Bo5 and semis are played Bo7 IMO there is no need for double-elim, every game COUNTS and in every game EVERYONE has to bring their A game to win cuz every match is that decisive. While giving the spectator a long enough series they can enjoy.

Edit : Dota 2 Master Race also does it that way.

Are you positive The International is Single Elim? I was fairly certain there was an upper and lower bracket. Not at computer so can't double check.

Are you positive The International is Single Elim? I was fairly certain there was an upper and lower bracket. Not at computer so can't double check.

I believe most events do single Elim, The International is double elim but everything is Bo3 except the finals that are literally 1 series of a Bo5 where brackets do not reset if the team from winners loses the first series.(matches also take an avg of 45 mins)

I believe I heard its single. Though I'm not in that scene so I can be wrong. Finals don't have a LB for sure tho

Think only fighting games and GoW do double elim now.

I am just super happy we have BO5. BO3 would have been a travesty and we really dodged a (DMR) bullet.