CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

AIGHT 'yonders -- Let's hop straight into the thing:

(_-*Jdot out*-_)

great post! i agree - the hype hasnt been this high for me in quite some time

Is there a schedule out for regionals yet?

ive been looking - havent found it yet. if anyone does please share and lets get it posted up on OP

AIGHT 'yonders -- Let's hop straight into the thing:

Just slammed down a double espresso and the hype is getting real.  This Friday, the story lines, the gameplay, the "OH MY [email protected]#ING GOD"s.  It's all coming.  Told my boss I'd need Friday off on account of I'll be popping my overalls on to be lead conductor on the HYPE express: destination Columbus.  (disclaimer: all hype trains in this context are strictly metaphorical, I will not be physically present this weekend.  HYPE Inc. also takes no accountability for any injuries, metaphorical or otherwise, sustained whilst riding the HYPE express)  Shoot...lost my train of thought.. ( :kappa:  geddit?)

Anyways, I lurk in the murk normally but the hype finally got the best of me so here's my OT:

-Never sleep on Ogre2.  Just don't.

-NADED.  He's going to have an all caps weekend.  I'm talking Dallas 09'-sit-the-eff-down TSquared looking boi weekend here.

-Puckett.  The man could honestly commentate a bowl of Easy Mac spinning around in a microwave and I'd probably be on the edge of my seat.

-Young guns.  Not literally the guns themselves, as I believe all weapons are age neutral.  I'm more referring to the younger players who will be wielding aforementioned age neutral guns.  Seeing new players on the top teams is always exciting.

-Are you still sleeping on Ogre2? Stop.

-Orgs vs. players.  eSports, and in particular halo in this case have always been an interesting dynamic to me.  While I tend to follow players individually as a fan, I support all organizations that invest in Halo.  It's awesome to see, it truly is.  

-Saucey.  Keep on keeping on my man, been a fan of yours since day one.  Always keeping things real with just enough humor injected where it needs to be.

So anyways, buckle in (or don't, it's your metaphorical well being at stake here after all) and lets get this HYPE rolling.  

(_-*Jdot out*-_)

2uxqc.gif

• Upvote (+1) 3

I dont normally watch EG scrim but since they were scrimming RNG last night i tuned in.

The egos on that team are ridiculous. Mostly roy and lunchbox but the bickering wasn't even constructive criticism it was just finger pointing and school girl arguing.

that cant be helping them improve at all, and it seemed snipedown and commonly were really getting annoyed.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I dont normally watch EG scrim but since they were scrimming RNG last night i tuned in.

The egos on that team are ridiculous. Mostly roy and lunchbox but the bickering wasn't even constructive criticism it was just finger pointing and school girl arguing.

that cant be helping them improve at all, and it seemed snipedown and commonly were really getting annoyed.

I can tell. This is pretty standard with EG and has been for a long time.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Until you've teamed with typical brothers it'll be hard to understand. Listening to them gives me crazy flashbacks of playing with two of my cousins in H3 all the time. Best thing commonly and snipedown can do is try to keep it constructive and try to never ever get in the middle of a really heated argument by picking sides. They'll forgive each other because they're family but they might not forgive others if they get angry enough.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Bad news guys. I tried to sneak in "Where is Worlds?" during Pro Player Spotlight #2.

Commonly decided not to answer it.

That being said...

Pro Player Spotlight #2 featuring @@Commonly will be posted this week.

• Upvote (+1) 7

This is usually how it goes when you do team with brothers in anything relating to team work lol.

*Getting back on topic here*

Soooooooooo.....who is the biggest underrated team that could make Top 8 this weekend?

Optic.

Ot: i have played against you at least 3 times in Slayer.

This is usually how it goes when you do team with brothers in anything relating to team work lol.

Not even brothers. Twins.

My dad's a twin, and the way him and my uncle talked to each other about anything they did together was pretty crazy. It's all with love though.

• Upvote (+1) 5

How much time do we have to spend talking about how Roy and Lunchbox argue a lot?

They've bickered like that since forever. They keep winning events. It doesn't mean anything. It's like the forum goes over this once a month.

The discussion you see on stream during scrims isn't actually the only gameplay-talk that a team does. They go over things off stream before or after scrim time. So you can't say that their bickering is hindering constructive criticism because they don't even intend to have very in-depth gameplay talk between scrim games.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I honestly much prefer this to random encounters deciding important games (imagine doing everything right to get a map setup only to have a couple guys rush with storm rifles in no time at all). Corner crouching can be and is countered, and I find standoffs to be nerve-wracking and exciting.

BUT, per my earlier gif, that's just like, my opinion, man.

If you want to remove "random" encounters then everyone should have waypoints over their heads. Some measure of randomness is inevitable with no radar AND radar. The questions are whether top players should be expected to minimize this through spawn/map knowledge and prediction and whether a slight increase (highly debatable) of randomness with the addition of no radar outweighs the neutering of the skill gap that radar introduces.

Regarding EG, I think they (Roy and lunch) could stand to think about the benefits of CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Arguing about everything is fine, but doing so in a negative tone can make people less receptive to good points.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Roy said in a podcast that he played with and without radar and he thinks that radar is better for Halo 5 since there are so many movement options now. He said something along the lines of, "It'd be too hard to predict where a player would go without the radar consistently, which would result in the game becoming more chaotic and random." 

But at least it's a small radar I guess. Sucks that flanking isn't a thing anymore tho. :(

the fuckery.....sigh

This is why all these movement options and these big ass "arena" maps with so many areas are terrible. Predictability is thrown out all the way out the window. Domino effect in play.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't know if it should be discussed in this thread or somewhere else, but something I'm interested in is with the new ball modes coming to H5 what people think would be the most viable modes to add to future competitive events. With some of the new options they are adding, I'm genuinely curious what will play best. And I think after HWC a ball gametype needs to be added.

It sounds like oddball will NOT be in a playlist rotation? Bit surprised if that is the case.

After Worlds? Shit needs to be added in right after regionals. No reason it shouldn't be.

• Downvote (-1) 4

After Worlds? Shit needs to be added in right after regionals. No reason it shouldn't be.

One good reason is that all the teams would have to learn something completely new in one month's time. That would be ridiculous lol. 

Who gives a hell about default game modes?

In the settings that tournaments were being played, (you know, the ones relevant to this thread) radar has always been off for good reason.

Trying to imply that tournament settings have ever been anything but no radar is just plain wrong.

I think that there is a balance between what *was*, what *is*, and what *should be* that people are missing.

I'm not saying that radar is the best thing, and having watched more than enough Halo since I was a wee tot, I understand that it historically has not had a place at the competitive table.

However, the idea that "this is how it was, so this is how it is and should be" ignores so many nuances  that it's almost laughable to try and delve into. As gameplay changes, so must the settings. I know there is an at least sizable contingent of players who would literally be fine with this Halo playing the same as 2/3, but for that to be the case, we'd basically have the same game year after year.

Again, I do think radar needs a tweak at the minimum and a potential complete overhaul, but this game really does not play like its predecessors, and to say it *has* to be a certain way would be foolish.

• Upvote (+1) 1

One good reason is that all the teams would have to learn something completely new in one month's time. That would be ridiculous lol. 

Considering that oddball would probably not be included since it isn't officially a gametype, they would have to learn MAYBE 3 new gametypes. Not even new maps, just how to play bomb on Coli, Truth, and maybe one more map that it could work on. One month is more than enough time to get acquainted with bomb on a few maps.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Considering that oddball would probably not be included since it isn't officially a gametype, they would have to learn MAYBE 3 new gametypes. Not even new maps, just how to play bomb on Coli, Truth, and maybe one more map that it could work on. One month is more than enough time to get acquainted with bomb on a few maps.

Agree to disagree i guess. They've been playing the same game types since the game came out. Throwing in different ones now would make it more flukey imo. They should stick to the current game types until after worlds. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Adding a new game mode, right before your biggest tournament of the year and right after the tournament that was used to qualify for that tournament, is just asking for criticism and problems. 

In the interest of fairness, if nothing else, game modes should not change from Regionals to Worlds. The 8 teams that come out of NA, and the other teams from other regions will have qualified because of those game modes.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I agree that halo 5 is a lot of fun and in my opinion the best since halo 2, but it's pretty ignorant to say more variance makes the skill gap smaller. That's very situational, sometimes it helps, sometimes it hurts. And i can't believe that you said this is the best halo game ever. But to each his own I guess.

a slight effort given in the reading comprehension department would have let you see that he said it was his favorite Halo, not that it was the best. Those are two different and distinct things.

My *favorite* Halos to play in order:

Halo 2

Halo 5

Halo 3

These three titles in order from "best to worst" (IMFO)

Halo 3

Halo 2

Halo 5

You can favor something over something you think is better for a number of reasons.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 10

Not to mention they have been playing oddball and bomb for years....

• Upvote (+1) 1

a slight effort given in the reading comprehension department would have let you see that he said it was his favorite Halo, not that it was the best. Those are two different and distinct things.

My *favorite* Halos to play in order:

Halo 2

Halo 5

Halo 3

These three titles in order from "best to worst" (IMFO)

Halo 3

Halo 2

Halo 5

You can favor something over something you think is better for a number of reasons.

Most people do not differentiate between their favorite and "the best". But you just said you think halo 3 is a better halo than halo 2, so I already don't take what you say seriously.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 6