CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I view FearItself in the same light I view Ace.

Both are extremely talented slayers/snipers that have two problems.

1. They don't grind as hard as other players (probably because they want to grind a game they enjoy, and they don't enjoy recent Halos)

As someone who played a ton of the HCS playlist during season 1 and 2 I disagree with this statement. I matched against FiS searching solo more times than any other player. He was constantly grinding even when his team was offline.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Sk has that intangible leader quality that led his teams to many Halo 3 tournament wins. 

He was last relevant about 6 years ago.  6 years.  Let it go; this scene doesn't need freaking SK back...it needs an influx of new top players who will challenge the current 'stars' and carry the scene in the future.

• Upvote (+1) 3

As someone who played a ton of the HCS playlist during season 1 and 2 I disagree with this statement. I matched against FiS searching solo more times than any other player. He was constantly grinding even when his team was offline.

Yeah, someone posted # of hours played in MCC, and FiS was near the top of the list. Along with Lxthul and Randa I believe. 

Royal 2 had half the hours of FiS, and was one of the least-playing pros... still did pretty well though  :bman:

On another topic, anyone heard what Contra & PreDevonator are doing? Maybe a team w/ Gab & Munoz? Or Prototype/Aries? Reaching for straws at the moment...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Fair enough.  I recall matching him a bit when searching myself and rarely/almost never matched other pros unless searching with one, so you're probably right here.

• Upvote (+1) 1

He was last relevant about 6 years ago.  6 years.  Let it go; this scene doesn't need freaking SK back...it needs an influx of new top players who will challenge the current 'stars' and carry the scene in the future.

I'm not sure that I was holding onto anything, but yeah he's not as relevant for sure. I also went back and looked at the rosters for all of the wins he had and Hysteria was on all of them.

FiS used to stream reallllly early. I would eat breakfast and watch and then play a few with him cause hes super chill...

Used to stream tinder too.. Legend.

I just wanted to know where he stood as far as the pros were, and how fast he would get scooped had he been a free agent at any point. Thanks for the insight guys :)

lastly, i think the TB graphic was potentially for a weekly tourny perhaps? anyone else have any ideas?

I'm fairly confident that the TB announcement is going to be some kind of tournament whether it be one off or recurring. Hopefully its HCS related and ties in somehow.

Why is playing passively a bad thing? It's all about how the team meshes. If his team compliments that style of play then there isn't really a problem right? Halo doesn't have one specific way to win, it's all about how well your team executes. Final Boss was a known passive team and they also had their infamous green room strat. Normally people avoided bottom blue and many of us here would agree with that statement. But had FB not found that strat people may never have believed that you could go down there and win.

A general rule of thumb that applies across all competitive gaming:

When you're ahead, get further ahead.

Passive play is good when you're behind and trying to retake the lead.  But when you're ahead, if you're still sitting back, you're leaving opportunities for an opponent to come back, rather than forcing your will upon them.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Passive play is good when you're behind and trying to retake the lead. But when you're ahead, if you're still sitting back, you're leaving opportunities for an opponent to come back, rather than forcing your will upon them.

I don't think there is 1 true way to win though. Teams can play conservatively at all times and still win. It's all about teamwork not a certain playstyle. Passive teams have won. Aggressive teams have won. Neutral teams have won. I just don't believe playing passively is inherently a bad thing. One of the best pro gaming teams off all time was a passive team. I don't think it's that black and white.

Besides, Ace is a proven champ with SQ and a proven player individually winning Global. If his playstyle is inherently bad how is he winning?

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think FiS might search solo more often than almost any pro. I've matched him, APG and Naded fairly often in every Halo since H3 (except for H4 but I pretend that game doesn't exist)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Passive play is good when you're behind and trying to retake the lead.  But when you're ahead, if you're still sitting back, you're leaving opportunities for an opponent to come back, rather than forcing your will upon them.

You have the right idea but I think you explain it kind of poorly. You shouldn't base if you should play aggressive solely on the kill lead. For example lets say its 30-20 pit and you are winning. The other team somehow has both snipes and rockets. Trying to push into them would end up feeding a ton of kills and getting rid of the lead. While you were ahead in kills the other team was stronger at that moment. You want to play aggression when your team is in stronger positions with either weapons or map positioning (unless the kill count is too close and you have to really slow it down at the end of the game)

• Upvote (+1) 1

On another topic, anyone heard what Contra & PreDevonator are doing? Maybe a team w/ Gab & Munoz? Or Prototype/Aries? Reaching for straws at the moment...

They played in the Beyond H3 tournament with Cpt. Anarchy & Zurka, thats the last I heard from any of them.

You have the right idea but I think you explain it kind of poorly. You shouldn't base if you should play aggressive solely on the kill lead. For example lets say its 30-20 pit and you are winning. The other team somehow has both snipes and rockets. Trying to push into them would end up feeding a ton of kills and getting rid of the lead. While you were ahead in kills the other team was stronger at that moment. You want to play aggression when your team is in stronger positions with either weapons or map positioning (unless the kill count is too close and you have to really slow it down at the end of the game)

Hooray, I get to go through this again! :D @@Mikwen

So, what you are saying is that if you are ahead 10 kills and the other team has a sniper, you shouldn't push.

You are down 5 kills and the other team has a sniper, how can you push?

There is much more to this debate but it's always been a curious one.

• Upvote (+1) 1

IIRC he had more kills than any other listed player a few months ago when someone compiled a list of pros and how many kills they had in MCC.

So, what you are saying is that if you are ahead 10 kills and the other team has a sniper, you shouldn't push.

1e0dcab174d957148d906632b064a3ec.gif

I'm disappointed in all of you. Apparently I'm the last one to find out who OpTiC 9 IncH is..

I feel betrayed.

Who is it.

Why is playing passively a bad thing? It's all about how the team meshes. If his team compliments that style of play then there isn't really a problem right? Halo doesn't have one specific way to win, it's all about how well your team executes. Final Boss was a known passive team and they also had their infamous green room strat. Normally people avoided bottom blue and many of us here would agree with that statement. But had FB not found that strat people may never have believed that you could go down there and win.

Playing passively worked out well for for FB in early H3. Oh wait.

The game dictates your playstyle... if you want to be successful.

Since you mentioned that you have played Dota 2 at a high level I will assume that you are also on the same mentality of " If you are ahead, push more and get further ahead" which I completely agree on, I believe this also applies to mostly all other games out there that have some sense of competitiveness. 

I view FearItself in the same light I view Ace.

Both are extremely talented slayers/snipers that have two problems.

1. They don't grind as hard as other players (probably because they want to grind a game they enjoy, and they don't enjoy recent Halos)

....You do know FiS grinds hard(There was some guy who did a thread with # of games that pro's have played and at the top was FiS, Ninja, (I think Naded, aka. the streamers that played Halo 24/7) etc.)? Thing is, due to his team, he can't grind top level gameplay.