CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I wonder what the NA pros would think of these curved tables they are playing on. Definitely hard or impossible to screen look. I know Tom would have a hard time lol

No offense to Posey but he seems to get "hit offline" quite a bit. Maybe his internet is the issue? He lagged out while on optic as well.

I could be wrong, but I thought they said that Posey got "hit offline" twice during the last qualifier, and those were the first two times he's ever lost connection in H5... Could be wrong though.

I wonder what the NA pros would think of these curved tables they are playing on. Definitely hard or impossible to screen look. I know Tom would have a hard time lol

I could be wrong, but I thought they said that Posey got "hit offline" twice during the last qualifier, and those were the first two times he's ever lost connection in H5... Could be wrong though.

Exactly. I never had any issues when playing with him. Only issues they have had was that last qualifier and now. He started streaming, and he kept lagging out of skype/games, so he said screw it he's not streaming today.

how does one join the team beyond twitch chat????

@@VinFTW we have a thread as well. Or just post your twitch and one of us will add you

So, once someone knows your IP address they can initiate DDoS attacks on you using botnets. The influx of traffic from TONS of different IP addresses make it pretty impossible to stop and the sheer amount of traffic causes such congestion that your internet essentially seems to go "offline". If the traffic was coming in from only a single IP address, you could simply block that IP in your firewall (or router for those of you with basic home equipment). You'd determine the IP address through packet capture (firewall tools or something like wireshark). This isn't stuff simple home users know how to do unfortunately. Also, once your IP address has been discovered shutting off "Skype" or whatever doesn't solve a DDoS attack. You must block the attackers IP addresses or contact your provider to block them or issue you a new IP address, or just wait until they stop.

Your ISP (comcast, verizon, etc) for home internet service provide you with an dynamic IP address (DHCP). It is SUPPOSED to change. However, at least nowadays, I haven't seen IP addresses change more then once a year if that. Some people say stuff like, if you unplug your modem for an extensive amount of time (>24hr) and plug it back in you'll get a new IP. I've never tried though. I'd just contact my ISP and ask that they release my IP and issue a new one because I'm being attacked. They should be able to do that for you.

The moral of all this is, your IP address needs to be protected. Once someone has it, they can issue attacks on you and residential users really don't have the ability to defend themselves. Even large businesses and datacenters don't have solutions to DDoS attacks. They simply pay large amounts of money for extra bandwidth spikes to "absorb" the attacks and use automation tools + manually block out the attackers. 

FYI, this is why Skype initially was a horrible tool to use. The default setup was to "direct connect" to peers, even those not on your friends list. This EASILY exposed your IP address. Literally a child to get your IP address and from their go online and pay for a DDoS service to attack you. They supposedly now have changed this and all communication goes through their servers and doesn't expose your IP address.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Exactly. I never had any issues when playing with him. Only issues they have had was that last qualifier and now. He started streaming, and he kept lagging out of skype/games, so he said screw it he's not streaming today.

@@VinFTW we have a thread as well. Or just post your twitch and one of us will add you

DrewskiXCI is my twitch. please and thank you

Edit: saw the thread, posted in there 

So, once someone knows your IP address they can initiate DDoS attacks on you using botnets. The influx of traffic from TONS of different IP addresses make it pretty impossible to stop and the sheer amount of traffic causes such congestion that your internet essentially seems to go "offline". If the traffic was coming in from only a single IP address, you could simply block that IP in your firewall (or router for those of you with basic home equipment). You'd determine the IP address through packet capture (firewall tools or something like wireshark). This isn't stuff simple home users know how to do unfortunately.

Your ISP (comcast, verizon, etc) for home internet service provide you with an dynamic IP address (DHCP). It is SUPPOSED to change. However, at least nowadays, I haven't seen IP addresses change more then once a year if that. Some people say stuff like, if you unplug your modem for an extensive amount of time (>24hr) and plug it back in you'll get a new IP. I've never tried though. I'd just contact my ISP and ask that they release my IP and issue a new one because I'm being attacked. They should be able to do that for you.

The moral of all this is, your IP address needs to be protected. Once someone has it, they can issue attacks on you and residential users really don't have the ability to defend themselves. Even large businesses and datacenters don't have solutions to DDoS attacks. They simply pay large amounts of money for extra bandwidth spikes to "absorb" the attacks and use automation tools + manually block out the attackers. 

FYI, this is why Skype initially was a horrible tool to use. The default setup was to "direct connect" to peers, even those not on your friends list. This EASILY exposed your IP address. They supposedly now have changed this and all communication goes through their servers and doesn't expose your IP address.

Just use a router that lets you change the MAC address, get off skype during important time periods. Problem solved.

Why anyone still uses skype as their VoIP for Halo is still beyond me though, shit is trash.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just use a router that lets you change the MAC address, get off skype during important time periods. Problem solved.

Why anyone still uses skype as their VoIP for Halo is still beyond me though, shit is trash.

Changing MAC address of your MODEM (modem not router, because the modem is what controls the issuing of your WAN IP address) doesn't work for everyone. For instance if I change the MAC of my modem to force my WAN IP to change, I get no service. Comcast requires you to register your MAC address with them. Sitting on the phone for hours to reregister a MAC address is the same as calling them to ask for a new IP address to be issued.

Skype is trash, always has been. No idea why people use it as well.

Not every ISP will provide a modem with a changeable MAC, and not every ISP will allow you to use a third party modem on their network. Since most ISP's use dual purpose Modem/Router technology, IPs will be assigned based on the ISP owned device.

What you can do, however, is pay like $5-$10 a month or something to rent out a small block of IPs that you can assign at will -- in case you get hit off.

Not every ISP will provide a modem with a changeable MAC, and not every ISP will allow you to use a third party modem on their network. Since most ISP's use dual purpose Modem/Router technology, IPs will be assigned based on the ISP owned device.

What you can do, however, is pay like $5-$10 a month or something to rent out a small block of IPs that you can assign at will -- in case you get hit off.

I've just been blessed to use an ISP that let's me use a 3rd party modem with a standalone modem, but yeah that's the other options. There's preventable measures, people are just lazy.

Changing MAC address of your MODEM (modem not router, because the modem is what controls the issuing of your WAN IP address) doesn't work for everyone. For instance if I change the MAC of my modem to force my WAN IP to change, I get no service. Comcast requires you to register your MAC address with them. Sitting on the phone for hours to reregister a MAC address is the same as calling them to ask for a new IP address to be issued.

Skype is trash, always has been. No idea why people use it as well.

I'm talking about using a router rather than direct connecting to your modem. Routers almost always allow you to change the MAC address. Just can't use those trash ass modem/router combos.

Teams to watch today:

Optic: FS, Maniac, Lifestyle, Chaser

Str8 Rippin: T2, Gilkey, Falcated, Tragic

Snakes in Grass: Blaze, Burton, Posey, Tizoxic

Legendary: Cpt. Anarchy, Psylince, Sargoth, Squall

Laser Focused: Eccentrick, Exemplify, FiS, Nerdy

Nighthawks: JesseUnleashed, Monster, Omega, Swipuh

• Upvote (+1) 7

Could you add me to that chat too? My twitch username is the same as on here.

I'm like WAY behind on Halo news, are any NA teams going to be playing today on the Halo channel?  Also, can I be added to the Beyond Twitch chat? HazardousMetal is my username on Twitch.