CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

So am I hearing that a lot of people are still in Aspen right now? That they are stuck in a Winter Storm?

Looking at the forecast looks like snow through Tuesday.

Perhaps they should fire up the production again and cast scrims on Monday. :)

• Upvote (+1) 8

I apologized back in Texas. You know what the situation was right?! Again I'm sorry for all that, and of course in going to ask for feedback from the hardcore audience. This community is key to growing Halo.

It's all good fam. Welcome to the community.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I think his point was more because she used the term "couch athlete" 

Couch athlete referring to doing the event from their couch. It doesn't mean they are fat slobs. The actual task of playing a video game is not typically considered athletic. Which was her point.

Twisting the argument doesn't make it look any better. 

In the recent weeks, I am really starting to see our community grow and i love it. Thanks guys for everything everyone does <3

• Upvote (+1) 2

The bar for production value has been set with X-Games. I hope Regionals are just as good.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I always love watching people get into pissing matches over which sports are more "athletic" than the rest.  As far as I'm concerned, if there's a game that's fun to watch and involves people separating themselves based on a combo of natural ability and practice, then I don't give a shit if a person competing can run a marathon in under 3 hours or if they're 400 pounds and never leave their house.  As a NASCAR fan, I get to listen to this stuff all the time.

• Upvote (+1) 2

She's a Skier.  Not an 'extreme' sport in comparison to snowboarding or skateboarding(snowboarding more accepted than skating, even though both are huge and accepted more and more each year in the mainstream.)  And female skiers have been competing for Olympic medals for almost 70 years.  

She is just a twat.  Plain and simple.

Like I said, I honestly had no idea who she was. I don't watch the Olympics or skiing. Can't stand it, but would never say they "weren't athletes" just because they didn't play something like Football. The last time I watched xgames was when Tony Hawk, Bob Burnquist, Dave Mirra, and Mat Hoffman were young dudes.

Honestly I feel it's the same hyper jock mentality in America that tries to argue Soccer as not being a REAL sport.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I always love watching people get into pissing matches over which sports are more "athletic" than the rest.  As far as I'm concerned, if there's a game that's fun to watch and involves people separating themselves based on a combo of natural ability and practice, then I don't give a shit if a person competing can run a marathon in under 3 hours or if they're 400 pounds and never leave their house.  As a NASCAR fan, I get to listen to this stuff all the time.

As a fan of racing - endurance in particularly - I can't begin to even tell you how many times I facepalmed when people say racing isn't a sport LMAO.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Nascar would make more sense at the X-Games than eSports in my opinion. I don't really get how gaming fits into any definition of an Extreme Sport. But I still love having it at the X-Games.

The bar for production value has been set with X-Games. I hope Regionals are just as good.

Its unlikely it will be since they're using spectator mode for regionals, instead of w/e MLG rigged up for xgames.

Come on now...

Come on now what...? That is literally what a couch athlete is. It's used a lot in the Madden/NFL community and it has nothing to do with the physique of a person.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Couch+Athlete

"A person who spends a good portion of their time watching several sports, and more importantly criticizing them, when they themselves cannot actually play any."

To me "Sport" is competition. Plain and simple.

But there is more to the definition of what an "Extreme Sport" is. As a long time X-Games fan/skater, I have zero problem with competitors not wanting eSports at their event.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 6

Looks like its Posey/Burton/Blaze/Tizoxic as a to4 for the LCQ. 

Solid squad there imo. 

Wasn't Burton/Blaze teaming with JesseUnleashed and Omega before?

So what are those two doing now?

And I assume we still don't have a final Optic roster?

Like I said, I honestly had no idea who she was. I don't watch the Olympics or skiing. Can't stand it, but would never say they "weren't athletes" just because they didn't play something like Football. The last time I watched xgames was when Tony Hawk, Bob Burnquist, Dave Mirra, and Mat Hoffman were young dudes.

Honestly I feel it's the same hyper jock mentality in America that tries to argue Soccer as not being a REAL sport.

Yea no for sure.  I only bolded that one part because its not like she is in some kind of culturally unaccepted sport.  Maybe as a woman having it tough?  Idk?  She is in a very accepted sport.  I have no idea who she is.  

And I don't normally go this route but when I do, I do it with force.

f2cUlQL.gif

• Downvote (-1) 3

Nascar would make more sense at the X-Games than eSports in my opinion. I don't really get how gaming fits into any definition of an Extreme Sport. But I still love having it at the X-Games.

I definitely understand that point of view.  And really, I think it's ESPN doing everything it can to connect with younger demographics since younger generations aren't watching tv as much.  While esports may not fit into "extreme" sports, they both are sports that are pretty popular with millenials.

I was just referencing all of the posts on Twitter last night from people freaking out that Halo and their "fat nerds" were on ESPN.  Who gives a shit if it doesn't involve physical exertion?  It's fun to watch and it still involves a ton of natural skill.  Some people just need to chill out.

Personally I don't see the point in trying to make Halo or "eSports" in general, to be an actual sport. Competitive video games should just try doing their own thing and work on a user base who would be more inclined to watch/play those games. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Come on now what...? That is literally what a couch athlete is. It's used a lot in the Madden community and it has nothing to do with the physique of a person.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Couch+Athlete

"A person who spends a good portion of their time watching several sports, and more importantly criticizing them, when they themselves cannot actually play any."

But there is more to the definition of what an "Extreme Sport" is. As a long time X-Games fan/skater, I have zero problem with competitors not wanting eSports at their event.

How does that definition fit anything to do with gamers playing Halo? Or LoL? Or CoD? Or...

I 100% believe she used the term as a derogatory term to gamers, which is not cool.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Why can't the Halo community get over anything that has happened in the past?

i looked at the dates and thought the same thing

it was kinda shitty on his part but it wasn't a big deal and it's over now, the guy obviously loves halo and has done a good job so far for us

he's not cratos :kappa: , i hope people treat him decent

• Upvote (+1) 2

How does that definition fit anything to do with gamers playing Halo? Or LoL? Or CoD? Or...

I 100% believe she used the term as a derogatory term to gamers, which is not cool.

People are really getting their posts crossed. I was discussing the Mao tweets posting pictures of gamers who are in good shape as evidence that they are athletes. And I said I don't understand what that has to do with anything since it's unrelated to the gaming they do and that she was never calling gamers fat slobs.

She was probably using it to talk shit about gamers...but it has nothing to do with physique. 

People are really getting their posts crossed. I was discussing the Mao tweets posting pictures of gamers who are in good shape as evidence that they are athletes. And I said I don't understand what that has to do with anything since it's unrelated to the gaming they do and that she was never calling gamers fat slobs.

She was probably using it to talk shit about gamers...but it has nothing to do with physique.

His posts were in direct response to her posts. To understand the reasoning of his posts without considering her posts would be to miss the point. He clearly thinks, as I do, that she was taking indirect gabs at gamers physical attributes with that #coachgames comment. At least that is how I see it.

FYI, on the topic of Sports vs eSports and the changing world we live in. I used to play all types of traditional sports (Baseball, Basketball, Football, Soccer, and Wrestling). Over the years I have stopped enjoying watching them on TV. Today I can honestly say I would rather watch a Halo Tournament then any sporting event.

• Upvote (+1) 1

As a life long skater...Screw the x-games.  The only reason they have it there is because eSports = $$$$$

If you honestly think they care about 'extreme' sports as a culture you're sadly mistaken

they just want those...

tumblr_o0pe57JgeS1rfe7dzo1_500.gif

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1