CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

So like the mormon that I am I stayed up till 7am (pacific time) Friday night watching movies and YouTube videos, and completely threw off my damn sleep schedule. Having had a hell of a work week, and not getting hardly any sleep, I slept in until 6pm (if you can even call that sleeping in), and I was instantly upset that I had allowed myself to miss the live version of this glorious Saturday. However, I managed to get on Twitch and watch the entire replay, avoiding twitter and ESPN, and watched the entire event from the start (it was kind of nice being able to fast forward through some of it). Anyway, 6hours later and it is completed. 

Takeaways:

- I have never been an EG fan. I have the uptmost respect for RoyBox and Snip3, but I just always root for Ninja and Heinz's squad probably just because of the weekly hours I put in watching their streams, but there was no doubt I was pulling for them in the Finals.  I'll be honest, I didn't think they had much of a chance at beating CLG in 4 out of 7 games, just because of how CLG looked all tournament. Walsh kept saying how much slaying power they have, and I felt that that slaying power always made up for the few mistakes or bad positions they would put themselves in. However, I loved the attitude that EG had, and Roy even commented on it after the Finals, saying "We just went in feeling we had nothing to lose" (paraphrasing), and this was the mentality they had to have.  Walshy said it best, and my AAU hoops coach use to say, "You can't play trying not to lose, rather than trying to win".  We all know that this win has to feel great for RoyBox and Snip3, and I do admire the way they have stayed professional throughout this whole Lxthul leaving them fiasco. Other than Snip3 saying, "You better watch your face" (after being ribbed at by Lxthul) they mostly put their heads down, refused to insult Lxthul, and focus on what they had to do next to be the best team they could.  It is just refreshing, especially when nowadays virtually everyone has a Twitter and will blast someone who does them wrongly at a drop of a hat. We all know getting burned sucks, but for the most part it doesn't do any good, and usually just makes the person that wronged you smile inside even more.  So in that sense it was gratifying to see them by beating CLG in the game rather than in a war of words.

- Shoutout to the Beyond chat and forums.  I was in the Beyond chat for the majority of Friday, and it was great being able to interact with individuals that have a passion for Halo as much as I do, and to get away from Twitch trolls who are just looking for attention.  Seeing the reactions were great (APG's "pucket rocket" against RNG). I am looking forward to being there again for Regionals. 

- Never knew Unlegit looked like Skrillex's twin brother (based on the PoV cam)

- I felt Renegades (who I wanted to win Gold) blew all of their momentum on the Team Liquid match. Understandably, considering the rivalry, but I just feel they have to get their emotions in check. When they are playing good, having fun and positively reinforcing each other, they seriously look unstoppable. However, when things start going down hill, they seem to crumble too easily.  I have played in AAU and High School championship basketball games with maybe 2,000 people watching, and the pressure is there, but I can't realistically imagine the pressure of knowing what is at stake and knowing tens-of-thousands of people are watching your every move, but I feel they could be so much more consistent if they find a way to balance themselves. I just think how much this team could occasionally use a time out. Haha, I know how ridiculous this sounds, but like in other professional sports, if Renegades could just motion to the ref that they could call a timeout, and pause the game momentarily, they could regroup, stop the bleeding for a second, take a breathe and strategize and resume.   I still think they are the dark house for HWC. With a few weeks practice, I think they could take down Allegiance and move in to 3rd place. I don't think, AT THIS POINT in time, they can beat CLG or EG though.

- Team Liquid are not as bad as they played this weekend, but they are going to have to practice constantly up until Regionals. The track record (minus Unlegit) just shows that the other 3 are top-tier players, and once they start coordinating they should get back on track. 

- And finally, Lxthul.  Despite what happened this weekend.  (Even though I am not a fan of Lxthul, and will likely always root against him) I still think he made the right choice in going to CLG.  Even though EG just beat them, I still think they are the best team. I give him credit for having the courage to leave EG and go to CLG. This team just has so much fire power, and are only going to get better.  I also admire how he stay so level-headed, he never gets too high or too low and, I feel, this is why he is so consistent.  I don't know if Lxthul will ever say it, but I feel that one of the reasons that Lxthul left EG was because he felt that he was always getting over-shadowed.  In H2A, we always saw all of Snip3's incredible multi-kills, how Roy was the best slayer in the game, how LBX was the best overall player, and how Towey took this team to the next level. Most of the time, we just heard how Lxthul would bait for Snipe and how he did all the dirty work and support play, but I still felt, although he made them better, that a number of players could have stepped in to his position and EG would have gotten the same results.  Now, I don't believe that is true.  Watching EG's scrims, I never heard Lxthul ever being the one complaining, never blaming another teammate, and always just doing what he was asked. So yeah, I believe he made the right move to CLG.  You can't blame a man, who is highly skilled in this game, wanting to write his own legacy.  The only thing I would have done different if I was in his shoes was not make the team change be such a highlight and relish in it. I would've just said I am no longer taking questions about EG and am only focused on CLG going forward, but that is just my personality, and Lxthul handled the things he wanted to so more power to him.  To each man his own.  

Welp, sleep schedule is f'd. It is 9am and I'm just now going to bed. Awful.

Thank you those at Team Beyond that allow us a platform to talk about something we all care so much about.  

"Know what I mean boys..."

• Upvote (+1) 4

27 members, pretty crazy to see this much support, <3 you guys.

Feels good to support what you guys have done for Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Another question. Isn't it a giant arena? Why are so few viewers allowed?

Have they announced how many spectators they're letting in / how to buy tickets?

Have they announced how many spectators they're letting in / how to buy tickets?

Only 200 people. Tickets went on sale a few days ago.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The only thing I'm a little salty about is that CLG never faced Allegiance but outplaced them.

CLG had to beat RNG (which Allegiance beat twice) to get top 2.

Allegiance had to beat the winners to get top 2.

I wish there was some sort of 2nd place match between CLG vs Allegiance. It probably would have been hype.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I was really disappointed to see Naded fail to win his first LAN Event, again. I wanted nothing more than to see him with that gold medal around his neck. 3rd is nothing to scoff at though, at least he walked away with a medal in hand. That and I am disappointed to see Spartan and the rest of their squad struggling, Renegades needs a lot of work. Guess you can't have your cake and eat it too. 

Here's to hoping Allegiance can catch fire at the H5GC and take it all. Hoping against all odds.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I feel the radar is practically worthless anyway, i always seem to be getting assassinated. Maybe i just dont have good awareness but i feel like i check it constantly and it seems to take no time at all to sprint from the edge of someones radar to their backside. 

It encourages crouching and camping. The effects are very noticeable at the pro level. 

I was really disappointed to see Naded fail to win his first LAN Event, again. I wanted nothing more than to see him with that gold medal around his neck. 3rd is nothing to scoff at though, at least he walked away with a medal in hand. That and I am disappointed to see Spartan and the rest of their squad struggling, Renegades needs a lot of work. Guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Here's to hoping Allegiance can catch fire at the H5GC and take it all. Hoping against all odds.

I can't see him ever winning a LAN. He has 0 composure. You can't win against calm, level headed people like that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Has anybody been to this mlg.TV arena where regionals are held at? Anybody have hotel recommendations near there? Thanks :)

It's by the airport so you have your fair share in choices there. However, myself and I know a few others all booked at the Country Inn there. It had the best price and actually comes with breakfast (which for me is hugely important). I've stayed in that hotel before for past Columbus events and is a good choice!

To those that have asked, it's not really an arena, but just a small area that they have converted. Get your tickets to regionals soon though since Adam tweeted there was less than 50 left couple days ago, so there isn't many left! 

Can't wait to see you all there! Look for the Canadian flag, and you found me! 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm at the point now where as soon as they announce the location of Worlds I'll be buying a ticket, booking a flight, and taking a week off work.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I bought a ticket to regionals in my drunken stupor last night

Welp, looks like I'm going

• Upvote (+1) 7

Yeah you said in the Twitch chat "fuck it, I'm going to buy a ticket to regionals".

• Upvote (+1) 7

It's by the airport so you have your fair share in choices there. However, myself and I know a few others all booked at the Country Inn there. It had the best price and actually comes with breakfast (which for me is hugely important). I've stayed in that hotel before for past Columbus events and is a good choice!

To those that have asked, it's not really an arena, but just a small area that they have converted. Get your tickets to regionals soon though since Adam tweeted there was less than 50 left couple days ago, so there isn't many left!

Can't wait to see you all there! Look for the Canadian flag, and you found me!

That's funny. After doing research I picked the same hotel before reading your post haha. Pretty pumped.

LOL I did the exact same thing. $70 on tickets and $350 on hotel charges later...

• Upvote (+1) 1