CyReN

Halo World Championship 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

The more I watch these Optic videos, the more I want to root for them to succeed. I love how open they are and that we are able to get a glimpse of what its like to be a Pro Gamer. As an outsider looking in we are exposed to the what goes on with team changes, practices, what a typical day looks like. These are things that for someone like me who plays about 3hrs x ~4 days a week would not really get to experience.

I've followed halo since the MLG H2 days and I so badly want the scene to return to where it once was. For orgs like Optic and Winterfox (@iamguitar) who produce and share great content, I am slowly becoming a fanboy. I really wish other teams like EG, AE, CLG. nV, Liquid etc etc all have videos even if its not on a regular basis, it would help the scene grow and help fans get a better idea of who we are cheering for to win 2mil prize pool. Even @Towey's video where the EG squad goes to buy lotto tickets was awesome to watch, hope we get to see more from them.

Even if Breakout is removed, I don't think improving it would be out of the question.

Removing 1 hit melees/spartan charges and then removing starting grenades would be fantastic. Replacing the flag with a ball to hold would be great too.

I still plan on playing it casually, so improving it would be great for mine and others experience on H5.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Remember when C9 w/ Ola got 11-0ed online by WFX? Then placed top 4 on LAN and beat them?

nV is probably the most LAN-stacked team atm. And they will improve a lot - having @@Diesel will help as well (even though I still hate him for Tesla  :simms: ).

WFX were online scrim gods.

Reminds me of a few teams in Halo 5...

Hecz's video was really really good, and I agree that we need more Halo content overall.

Just a reminder though - it's on you guys to watch it. There's nothing more disheartening than spending 10+ hours editing a video, to see it get less than 1000 hits. I often contemplate how valuable it actually is to produce Halo content because a.) the community is small to begin with, and b.) you guys really only seem to care about OpTiC and @@Ninja (obviously a gross generalization made to prove a point. I super appreciate all the support that this forum in particular shows to WFX)  :)

@@RyaNoob has uploaded dozens of videos over the last few months, and yeah, while it's mostly just gameplay stuff, it's still content. His most recent set goes really in-depth about stuff that Domey can do better and what he's already doing well. Aspiring pros and fans of smart gameplay alike should dive into that madness: https://www.youtube.com/user/areallygoodnoob/videos

The problem with Ryan and 99% of other pro's is that they don't market their content AT ALL.

They post on Youtube and expect views from subs that are probably REALLY old and have lost interest in the the content creator or they post in a mega thread here on TB and their content gets buried within hours.

They NEED to market their material better. A few other popular Halo sites to name a few are 343 Industries, The Halo Forum (not allowed to link this site for some reason), Halo Waypoint and the most important in my eyes REDDIT.

Real quick example of my first video posted on my YT channel when I had 2 subs.

5ba449a03708cc5c3c545fe2008a3243.png

"External" and "Unknown - embedded player" is 99% Reddit.

As most of the top 16 teams have sponsors now, they need to be pushing them to post their YT channels and content out on a daily basis via the organisation social media but they also need to market their own material more.

• Upvote (+1) 2

a lot of big twitch streamers get someone to pick highlights from their channel and edit it together

every big halo player should have a YT assistant (i'm sure someone would volunteer for the exposure alone)

the player can handle the vlogs + easy to edit stuff and the YT assistant can do the weekly highlights or w/e

2gres tweet is heartbreaking.

fucking lethul, you better win to make it at least worth it

Fees2greMan 

Gotta feel pretty terrible seeing as less than a week ago he thought he was going.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Interesting

On one hand, yes I get what he is saying. On the other hand, I don't agree.

CoD grew for a LOT of reasons beyond "youtube content" and the like. To focus on that singular point misses the larger dynamics. I'm sorry, but I don't give a shit how many youtube videos were made, if the game was shit and didn't have an existing following (ie. like Reach) nobody is going to care about the content. CoD got big because they made a great game while the competition (ie. Halo) started making shit games. Once people get into a series they will tend to stay with it for a while, even if the games aren't good because of that 1 great game. And also they will stay around (at least for longer) because of the personalities/storylines. CoD has gone through this themselves with Ghost and AW I feel. Not "bad" but certainly not held up to BO2 levels. One big difference I've seen though is the CoD competitive scene seems to know how to NOT trash their bad games to the point that people everywhere think the scene is dead, unlike Halo. Eventually people get tired of that stuff though if the games don't get better (and the competition is making good stuff).

Halo had a whirlwind of bad IMO. Bad games in sequence. No dev/publisher support (Bungie never supported the scene either). MLG, basically the org and spotlight for Halo eventually moving away from Halo. Pro Players came up in a time much different then the current kids watching so these potential fans didn't know them, which was further compounded by those Pro's never being marketed through the channels we use today (social media), and the fans of the time just got old. IMO I see it as similar to UT, Quake, Doom, and all the other competitive scenes of old.

As I'm sure someone already mentioned, Halo was a pioneer in a sense. Nobody knew how this was really supposed to be done. And at the time eSports weren't what they are like now. Social media wasn't what it is now. "Orgs" weren't a thing. The money wasn't the same. You had high school KIDS who had to convince their Mom & Dad to let them go play a video game for money. To say these KIDS didn't do enough to me is a bit crazy. I a sense MLG was the "Org" for competitive Halo players. They promoted them. They shined the spotlight. And there really wasn't anywhere else to promote themselves, not like today.

Also, I find it funny when he talks about the role of developers/publishers/etc. Consider the eSports scene as it exists TODAY. Some of the names that come to everyone's minds are CS:GO, LoL, Dota, Smite, Hearthstone, CoD (and so on). I feel safe in saying that ALL of those games are getting huge support and backing from the Devs/Publishers; Valve, Riot, Hi-Rez, Blizzard, Activision, and so on. Activision is making big moves in their role in eSports as well. So I find it strange to hear anyone say that TODAY, with how the market is, that you can have a successful eSport title without strong dev/publisher support. Games like Smash and the collection of Fighting games make it work to a degree, but honestly they aren't much better then what Halo and Gears have going on right now IMO.

Just my .02. I certainly want the content so I hope they make it, but to think that content alone will revive this scene is simplifying something that is far more complex.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I just realized if Optic wins the LCQ there will be a nice little Optic reunion in Group A at regionals.

Sorry if this has been brought up already

• Upvote (+1) 2

Gotta feel pretty terrible seeing as less than a week ago he thought he was going.

He deserves it... All star voting should have happened a week ago and included players from other teams that weren't invited.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2gre should be a damn honorary guest. Look at how much prestige that man has. He's known throughout many different eSports and he was there from the beginning of it all. A fucking legend man.

Something I think @@Saucey and @@CyReN should do is create a sticky called "HCS Pro Content" and if possible create a new permission group called "Pros" (if this hasn't been done already) and then only let that permission group post. 

At the moment if a Pro posts their content in one of the mega threads it just gets left behind.

• Upvote (+1) 6

x

You nailed it. No eSport has grown through Youtube or through individuals players marketing themselves in other ways. CoD has had negative growth in the past 2 years (lost viewers), yet there are now plenty of pros with massive Youtube followings compared to 2 years ago. So the idea that greater Youtube following --> greater growth in viewership fails based on this example alone.

When did CoD have its greatest growth period? During BO2. Why? Because it was the best/most entertaining CoD from a competitive perspective.

Halo isn't going to grow because pros start uploading to Youtube, it isn't going to grow because big orgs (like Optic, EG, CLG, nV) enter the scene. It will only grow if it proves to be entertaining to non-Halo fans. 

I wonder if the location of the Regional Finals will be announced at X-Games.

Where would you guys like to see it be played at?

Why does Papa Walsh not have a TB account???

Walshy is to old to know how these new fangled "foreams" work that you whippersnapper use.

He uses AIM, they don't make it like they use to. :)

• Upvote (+1) 2

I meant to post this a while ago but a big shoutout to @@Spartan, @@LethuL, @@Ninja, and anyone else I may have missed that vlogged about their personal takes on team changes. That sort of behind the scenes stuff is really interesting to hear about as a fan with an emotional investment in the scene, and often never gets put out in the open due to contracts/people's feelings.

@@LethuL should definitely take advantage of his position right now. He started the hurricane and has been the focus of a lot of peoples attention recently. He just joined CLG which is a huge org in esports. This is the perfect time to grow your own brand and become the face of your team. I know he streams almost everyday and has some clips on youtube, but if he started putting out even more content I could see him having a bigger following.

He's also one of the most charismatic and naturally funny pros in the scene right now. Plus he seems to like being honest and upfront about things, which always makes for good content.

I've been ranting about these pros not making youtube content on a consistent basis. They need to learn how to use the editing softwares. It is not that complicated. If you are a pro at Halo then you can def learn how to edit. There are tons of youtube video tutorials on how to edit. The pros are mostly relying on twitch. Im not saying that its a bad thing to stream but you might as well put more effort into making youtube content daily. One video a day would not be so bad.

These pro could make youtube series like: Tips and tricks videos, road to champion, get better fast and then vlogs (which lots of people enjoy watching). The pros have the equipment to do all these things. It really sucks that they do not take advantage of it.

To all the pros that actually do youtube. I feel like they are not consistent enough. Yes i know that they do grind daily but i feel like they could at least take their time after the scrims to make a video and upload it to youtube. They have the followers on twitter to get tons of views and subs yet most of them do not really take advantage.

You don't need to be a wizard at editing. Look at Flamesword and Maniac's videos, all they do is cut out dead air and parts where they mess up talking or say something they don't want in the video. It can be time consuming with practice it gets quicker and easier.

I'd also like to see more players and posters here active on Reddit. Yeah, r/halo mostly only cares about Warzone and bitching about 343 not having infection mode ready yet, and the only pro a lot of them have heard of is Snipedown, but it also has well over 100,000 subscribers and every time there's been a sticky for a qualifier I see posts from first time Halo esports viewers talking about how fun it was to watch. It's an active community and people should be promoting themselves and competitive Halo there. I do my best to upvote and make a comment or two whenever I see any HCS discussion. If everyone that reads this forum did the same I guarantee we would be pulling in brand new fans.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

All star voting:

Naded- naded

Frosty- pioneering the upcoming talent, kind of showed people how to play H5

Royal 2- best in the game

Snipedown- stream grind, familiar face for casuals perhaps

Stellur- i watch all the optic vids, very skilled player with good movement, some new talent

Ninja- stream grind, exciting playstyle/personalitty

Ace- i like his movement for some reason

Snipedrone- guess ill pick one of the EU guys

• Downvote (-1) 1

If @@Ninja and @@Ace get teamed together I wonder if some betrayals will go down.

:simms:

Speaking of betrayal, remember when Lethul sniped his own teammate back in one of the mcc launch tourneys to keep his multi-kill alive?  Classic.   :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 2