Joseph

Halo 5 Lag Problems. (Time Warner Cable) Solution.

Wait you have a modem/router combo and connecting directly to the modem doesn't actually face the device to the internet?  It's still connected behind a router?  That's awful.    Is there anyway for you to purchase your own modem?  I have my own modem with comcast and just direct connect it to my PC.  My PC has a PCI wireless card in it and you can use W7-10 to broadcast your own wireless network.  You can also install additional ethernet cards and bridge the connections with your PC if wanted.  No need to ever buy a router again if you have a solid PC.  The modem also pays for itself within 6 months if you are leasing the modem from the ISP.

Wait you have a modem/router combo and connecting directly to the modem doesn't actually face the device to the internet?  It's still connected behind a router?  That's awful.    Is there anyway for you to purchase your own modem?  I have my own modem with comcast and just direct connect it to my PC.  My PC has a PCI wireless card in it and you can use W7-10 to broadcast your own wireless network.  You can also install additional ethernet cards and bridge the connections with your PC if wanted.  No need to ever buy a router again if you have a solid PC.  The modem also pays for itself within 6 months if you are leasing the modem from the ISP.

Its a Modem with built in wireless capabilities (ISP provided). I could have purchased my own modem, and would have if I was having problems in general.. but it was just for Halo only, so this was easier I guess.

Didn't solve the problem for me. I still occasionally teleport around and the game timer will freeze for up to 45 seconds or more. I was actually able to join a co-op campaign lobby though. So I guess that's a plus

Didn't solve the problem for me. I still occasionally teleport around and the game timer will freeze for up to 45 seconds or more. I was actually able to join a co-op campaign lobby though. So I guess that's a plus

Although I will say that it has reduced the frequency of the lag. I don't know if that's really true or not, but it doesn't occur as often.

Step 10: Finally get out of Bronze league because you wont lag out of every game. :weback::prayers:

Amen.

Thanks for the post i dont have time warner cable but i was having issues with me lagging out of arena games only (not sure how might be the preview program, have been playing on my alt until i get this fixed

this bug you described Saucey is a pretty nasty one and from all the people i know off that have this bug your solution only works temporarily

with temporarily i mean as soon as you hard reset the console the problem is present again

also its more common during population peak times and starts to appear less the older the night becomes

so here are other solutions that (temporarily) fix the issue

- set Xbox DNS primariy to 8.8.8.8 and secondary to 8.8.8.4 (official 343i suggestion)

- set router/modem DNS primary to 8.8.8.8 and secondary to 8.8.8.4

- reinstall the game with the console being online during installation (cause game + day1 patch will be installed at the same time)

- if you run on SKY ISP then deactivate SKY Shield

- factory reset your router and put console into DMZ host so all ports are open

Unfortunately this does not work for me. I've been using my iphone as a hotspot for a stable connection until I move and get a new ISP.

In other words, your too laggy to hit due to using a 4G connection to play halo LOL.

- factory reset your router and put console into DMZ host so all ports are open

just speaking generally, this is how I fix all connection problems lol ... DMZ is epic

Those DNS numbers are google's DNS which is good, but I think there might be a typo.  Google's 2nd DNS is 8.8.4.4  not 8.8.8.4

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/?hl=en

I agree that putting your xbox in the router's DMZ is the best solution if you are having any connection problems.  It exposes your xbox to the full internet and therefore skips any router things that might be the culprit.

this bug you described Saucey is a pretty nasty one and from all the people i know off that have this bug your solution only works temporarily

with temporarily i mean as soon as you hard reset the console the problem is present again

also its more common during population peak times and starts to appear less the older the night becomes

so here are other solutions that (temporarily) fix the issue

- set Xbox DNS primariy to 8.8.8.8 and secondary to 8.8.8.4 (official 343i suggestion)

- set router/modem DNS primary to 8.8.8.8 and secondary to 8.8.8.4

What kind of lag have you guys been experiencing?  I'm on TWC but haven't really had any lag.  I have permanent high latency though due to my location.  What does xbox say your download/upload speeds are?

What kind of lag have you guys been experiencing?  I'm on TWC but haven't really had any lag.  I have permanent high latency though due to my location.  What does xbox say your download/upload speeds are?

Here are some examples of what I have had to deal with.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/ChrisDalf/video/12531476

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/ChrisDalf/video/12531488

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/ChrisDalf/video/12469259

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/ChrisDalf/video/12468675

Notice that when the timer freezes, you are able to go anywhere on or outside the map.

Here are some examples of what I have had to deal with.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/ChrisDalf/video/12531476

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/ChrisDalf/video/12531488

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/ChrisDalf/video/12469259

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/ChrisDalf/video/12468675

Notice that when the timer freezes, you are able to go anywhere on or outside the map.

IC, I haven't had any of those issues.  TWC has been acting squirrly in my area with Netflix.  At around 9PM every night the stream quality goes to shit.  If I go on my computer and connect through VPN it works fine.

IC, I haven't had any of those issues.  TWC has been acting squirrly in my area with Netflix.  At around 9PM every night the stream quality goes to shit.  If I go on my computer and connect through VPN it works fine.

My internet has been fine on all devices. It's just the Halo 5 servers that I have trouble with. :(

Hey guys. I have been dealing with crippling lag problems since the launch of Halo 5: Guardians. I have seen countless posts and reddit threads describing the same issues I have been having, with no real solutions readily available. 

The Xbox Support area for forwarding ports is scattered and frustrating, and following random advice in reddit comments havent solved any of my issues. After a few days of messing around with my settings - I have found a solution that I will list out here so others do not have to sit in the dark or piece together a jigsaw puzzle from 10 different support sites.

My ISP: Time Warner Cable

Equipment: Arris Modem w/ built in wireless.

Setup: Direct Connected Ethernet to my modem.

Problem: Crippling lag on Halo 5: Guardians ONLY. Every other Xbox Live Enabled Game runs flawlessly online.

Here is what worked for me. 

Step 1. Find your modem / routers IP address. It will look like "192.168.1.1" something along those lines. You can easily find this by googling your modem / routers model number followed by "ip address"/

Step 2. Login to your Modem/Router dashboard. Should look like this:

0f9cb26b8953eac383fabe0cdb572758.png

Step 3: Click on the "Firewall" tab.

Step 4.  Click on "Port Triggering" on the left menu.

Step 5: Your page will probably have no settings and be empty, thats fine. You need to click "Add" and get to work on these settings.

Step 6: I made 6 rules, simply just look at mine and copy them. (Port 80 is missing, my modem would not let me forward it)

2791d877ed2d937330502abf6c766e9a.png

Step 7: After you are done adding all of the correct ports for Xbox Live play, pop over to the "LAN Setup" tab at the top. 

Step 8: Once on the "LAN Setup" tab - scroll all the way to the bottom and uncheck this box and click apply.

6486f349369fafb0725f2290d59f8dd8.png

Step 9: Reboot your Modem/Router

Step 10: Finally get out of Bronze league because you wont lag out of every game.  :weback:  :prayers:

Has this completely stopped the lag problems for you?

Thanks for posting this! I had been using TWC through my router and didn't have a single issue until I had a chance to go hardwired. Suddenly I was dropping matches left and right, so I followed this, and so far, so good.