Sign in to follow this  
niK xbL

Halo 5 Controller input lag

i feel like there is some lag from the point you press a button, until the action actually happens.

i thought i will get used to it pretty quickly but i still have at some points in the game issues hitting my target...

is no one having this problem as well? because i never saw someone talking about it

• Upvote (+1) 4

The only 'lag' I've noticed in H5 is the melee + jumping but that's because the game is trying to determine if you're trying to melee or go for a ground pound.

• Upvote (+1) 5

i feel like there is some lag from the point you press a button, until the action actually happens.

i thought i will get used to it pretty quickly but i still have at some points in the game issues hitting my target...

is no one having this problem as well? because i never saw someone talking about it

What are you playing on? TV or monitor? 

What are you playing on? TV or monitor? 

i play on a monitor

so no one of you noticed a small time frase between moving the stick and actually aiming.... either i just imagine the lag because the game feels so heavy or im going crazy  :goat:

• Upvote (+1) 4

i play on a monitor

so no one of you noticed a small time frase between moving the stick and actually aiming.... either i just imagine the lag because the game feels so heavy or im going crazy  :goat:

Nope it must be on your end. I'm mainly a PC player and input delay is usually the first thing I notice on consoles but H5 is plenty responsive for me.

oops accidental neg on mobile.

I undid your neg. ;)

Nope, no input lag. Only thing I've noticed is what Moa already said about jumping and meleeing bc ground pound is that exact button combo and it doesn't know what you're planning on doing.

I think youre just noticing that the melees arent super quick in this game, i thought the same thing at first.

Pretty much every console game has an innate 60-100 ms input lag regardless of the display, peripheral or what have you, you're using. I don't know exactly why that is, but I assume it's because vertical synchronization is used to remove screen tearing, in conjunction with motion blur to reduce micro stutters.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I feel this sometimes when I try to sprint on bumper jumper, sometimes its just irresponsive

Yes! I've been scouring the internet for this exact post. I'm also noticing a severe input delay from when I move the aim stick, for example, to when the monitor reflects the change. I'm surprised no one else other than OP has experienced this.

OP, it must be something about our consoles, monitors, settings, etc. Other games, MCC for example, work fine for me. Only Halo 5 has this delay. I'm using a brand new BenQ monitor and a brand new controller.

I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing this.

Fire up MCC and load up Halo 1 and feel how responsive everything feels.

Now do the same in Halo 5.

It's VERY subtle, but I could swear it's there.

My guess is that it's V-Sync causing input lag to keep the frame rate at a stable 60FPS.

I'd love the option to turn it off and deal with tearing but we all know that will never happen.

• Upvote (+1) 3

i play on a monitor

The aiming sucks, it's been a constant topic of discussion on the Internet since the game was released.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The aiming sucks, it's been a constant topic of discussion on the Internet since the game was released.

This isn't about the aiming (which is its own issue).

This is about input lag.

The aiming indeed sucks due to a weird aim acceleration curve. But on top of that I'm quite certain there is more input lag in this game than Halo 1 or Halo 2.

If you know the difference between playing a PC game with VSync on or off you'll know what I mean.

I know exactly what you're talking about. It almost feels like I'm playing on an old hdtv with a small amount of input lag. H5 is the only game that I get this feeling on when using the same setup. I can't figure out whether it's the aim acceleration, dead zone, or something else.

I've seen this a lot recently. Aimer delay and a lot of times theres about a half second delay between when I press sprint and my spartan actually starts sprinting. Its really weird 

We're bumping up 2 year old thread's I see.

On topic though, nothing has changed, aiming in this game is still shit.

IDKWTF ya'll are talking about but this is the best the aiming has been...

Since release...

Its still bad though

So imo the aiming is fine now, for me. When i play on a monitor.  And i mean that literally.  "fine" like not terrible, but not good either. its "meh fine" as long as i am on a monitor.  If i'm playing on a tv its still better but does not feel good.  Destiny and CoD? Great and good on both, respectively.

Here is my current analysis on the aiming in case anybody gives a shit what i think haha:

- The fix in the last update definitely reduced the input lag considerably.  Anybody who denies this or says that it's actually worse now is full of shit.  I think this applies to all button presses, not just looking around.  Thrusting has felt more immediate too.  I am NOT referring to the acceleration curve. Thats still jacked.

- It's still not up to the standard of what a shooter should be and is still worse than Destiny and CoD.  And i'm purely referring to input lag here.

- This lag must be right on the edge of what I can personally notice.  My TV has 1 frame of lag more than my monitor which must be why it feels worse on my TV.  Aiming is universally better on a monitor because i can sit closer and see better, but that aspect applies to everything and is not what im talking about here.  My aim is better on a monitor for Destiny and CoD too, but it "feels" the same.

- If anybody feels like its not better and they primarily or solely play on a TV, they should try a monitor.  This is true anyway, but especially true for halo.

- Acceleration curve is still jacked.  If they insist that this is the new default curve fine, but at least make like Titanfall 2 and give us "Classic" curve options.

- They should straight up steal whatever Destiny does with their aiming.  Its definitely the best feeling console shooter even when just looking around the game-world and i feel like i can play anywhere from sense 2 - 6 just depending on the style i feel like playing.