Do you like Halo 5: Guardians?

282 members have voted

1. 1. Do you enjoy Halo 5?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Give me a few weeks, I haven't decided
    • I'm not buying it/Not interested
    • It's ok I guess.

IMO there should be a split between campaign and multiplayer in this poll. Just having observed, my opinions on the two are very different.

Pros:

Best 4v4 experience I've gotten out of Halo

Best balanced sandbox since CE

Decent unique sandbox (not as good as Reach's, but Reach's was held back by shit mechanics)

New gametypes

I think that Gold Pro in Reach was the best 4v4 experience I have ever had but 30fps and no dedicated servers are obv a downside of that.

Also I would say the sandbox is okay (from what I saw) but a lot of the weapons are cheese like the hydra.

My problem is that different types of weapons often don't have different roles in Halo. The beam in H2A for example was like an automatic weapon with zero spread instead of having less damage but a ton of knockback which would give it a unique touch imo. But yeah Halo is not really that good/balanced when it comes to fights anyways and teamshot has been the way to play since Halo 2...

I'd say Halo 5 has the best default multiplayer gameplay of any Halo since CE. 

There are some issues I'd like to see addressed

-the aim thing everyone seems to be experiencing.

-an AR range nerf (even if it's just for arena). A big reason the AR seems so oppressive at times is that even though these maps are bigger than previous halo maps, they are sectioned off to play small, smaller than the AR's effective range. I can understand wanting a longer range for Warzone, but in arena it's pushing too much. 

-BR seems far too easy to use, especially when compared to the pistol. Lower the bullet mag a bit and I think that's all it needs

-If someone gets DC'd or rage quits, they should still be locked into the game they were in and only be able to rejoin that game until it ends.

-Need more maps in each rotation. Why isn't empire in the slayer playlist? 

All in all I am really enjoying the game, staying up way too late to get an extra hour and a half each night of gameplay in. I think when all the content is dropped, and we get a couple patches in, this will be even better. We will have Forge for people to create a ton of maps, if they allow the CE magnum in customs then the "Halo purists or die" people could also play Halo the way they want to, BTB is being added, and more armor, skins, and emblems are getting added for the achievement and unlock hunters. Add to that Bravo is being very active with sending critiques, requests, and criticism up the chain (he says he is, and I can only take him at his word obviously, I'm not there to know for sure), and we already have a pretty decent list of items they are working on for the first patch.

But how long will they continue to actively support the game? No clue.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 5 has the best out of the box multiplayer in a long time. It's far from perfect, but at least it is polished, balanced and fun.

Halo 5 has a solid foundation. Now 343 needs to just take the time to listen to feedback and improve the games shortcomings. Fix the buggy aiming, tweak the weapons, add in more game modes and map etc.

Pros:

Best 4v4 experience I've gotten out of Halo

Best balanced sandbox since CE

Decent unique sandbox (not as good as Reach's, but Reach's was held back by shit mechanics)

New gametypes

Cons:

Missing objective gametype staples like KotH/Oddball

No Big Team Battle

Warzone is a copycat of Unreal Tournament "Assault" and "Onslaught" modes -- and does them poorly by comparison.

Overall, though, Halo 5 has a lot to offer and I enjoy it.  Looking forward to the first big content update.

This sums up my thoughts pretty well on the game too. I do enjoy the shit out of warzone though at the end of the night or as a warm game or two.

I loved it up to the point of AR/Magnum starts, and I've lost a lot of interest after that. I'd play more if it was BR starts but for now it's kinda meh. 

For me, it's a weird one. In terms of the core gameplay, I love it. I think movement is great, aiming is solid, lots of the weapons feel useful.

All of the stuff around it? The shockingly limited amount of playlists, Warzone, no social options, the kinda crappy campaign, lack of forge... That stuff is dragging it down for me. I've not played too much of the game just yet to be honest, but I'm finding it.. oh I don't know, it's hard to find the words. Even as a massive competitive fan who has been following tournaments for nearly a decade, I still don't really appreciate this forced competitive mentality in the game. Only giving us 5 playlists, all of them ranked, no big team option, no classic objective stuff like Oddball and KotH.. it's weird. I keep finding myself on the main menu not really knowing what to do. I don't enjoy SWAT and FFA is stressful as hell. I've finished the campaign and don't really like Warzone (although Warzone Assault is way better). So the only options left are three ranked playlists which are basically 90% Team Slayer.

Sometimes, I just load up Halo to chill out for a bit and play with some buddies, but with the ranks and callouts and intensity of it all I feel a bit overwhelmed with H5, especially when I want to play with friends who aren't really into the game as much as I am. But as I said, the gameplay itself is damn good and I like a lot of the maps, so it's already a huge improvement over H4 in that regard. I think 343 are good designers but terrible decision-makers, basically. They've made a great game and buried it beneath a bunch of dumb, poorly thought-out nonsense.

Also, could someone enlighten me on this: finished my placement matches for Team Arena today (it's been a busy week!). I played all 10 games with my friend, so we had the exact same number of wins and losses. He topped the table in a few games, I was at the top for a few others. We both had a few bad games in there too. After our 10th placement game... I go into Diamond, he goes into Platinum. How does that work? I thought the whole philosophy was "It doesn't matter how well you do individually. Wins are the only thing that counts."

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@TiberiusAudley

In what ways has this been the most enjoyable 4v4? I know opinions greatly vary but where does Halo 5 succeed here compared to previous games?

Anyway, I've told everyone I played with so far the best way for me to explain my thoughts on the game is.. "I don't like the game but I'm having fun". So I may never adjust, or "adapt" to mechanics that I dislike. It's going to be really hard for a modern Halo game to outshine the older ones in my eyes because those versions of Halo are what I prefer, but with all that said they did a good job of modernizing Halo. Again, for the record, I didn't want any sort of modern FPS Halo hybrid. It's just they actually did a decent job balancing and fitting these modern mechanics to fit around the Halo feel.

Has anyone here played Duke Nukem Forever? I was getting a hint of that prior to playing.. classic game gets a complete modern overhaul and completely ditches classic gameplay. I was definitely wrong about that.

Speaking purely on launches for games, and not "competitive merit", Halo CE was a 9/10 for me, Halo 2 was a 10/10 and Halo 3 was a 10/10. Reach was about a 1.5/10 and Halo 4 was about a 2/10 for me. Halo 5's launch would get about a 7/10 for me. I dislike various mechanics, I prefer older classic Halo. I'm probably going to keep my classic Halo elitism, but I will admit that they created a game that I can do well as a teammate, do well as an individual (need some more pistol ammo so we can take out more people with perfect shots) and have fun in.

I can complain about  A LOT of various things in the game that are my personal preference, but at the end of the day I can load this up with a group and enjoy myself more than I dislike the nitpicky things.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If you like Halo 5, you don't actually like Halo.  You just like whatever the newest "thing" is.

I almost think part of my enjoyment comes from the fact that I have a brand new shooter to play with a high number of old competitive friends. I haven't played solo and will try to keep it that way, but I think a squad adds a great deal of fun to the game. I've been stuck in some really old dead games, so this is pretty refreshing.

This is the best game since Halo 3. I like the competitive rankings, but I just wish they did BR start instead of pistol in Arena playlist. Fun game though.

This games playlist are just slackin, also right out of the gate this games team slayer is just not fun. They should have all of the maps in each playlist.

If you like Halo 5, you don't actually like Halo. You just like whatever the newest "thing" is.

Yeah I mean obviously you're the only barometer for who's a Halo fan or not right?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Speaking purely on launches for games, and not "competitive merit", Halo CE was a 9/10 for me, Halo 2 was a 10/10 and Halo 3 was a 10/10. Reach was about a 1.5/10 and Halo 4 was about a 2/10 for me. Halo 5's launch would get about a 7/10 for me. I dislike various mechanics, I prefer older classic Halo. I'm probably going to keep my classic Halo elitism, but I will admit that they created a game that I can do well as a teammate, do well as an individual (need some more pistol ammo so we can take out more people with perfect shots) and have fun in.

What rose-colored glasses are you looking through to give Launch H2 and H3 such a high score?

Pre-patch H2 was shit.

Halo 3 launched with Snowbound, Isolation, Epitaph, attic Pit...AR Start BTB...

What rose-colored glasses are you looking through to give Launch H2 and H3 such a high score?

Pre-patch H2 was shit.

Halo 3 launched with Snowbound, Isolation, Epitaph, attic Pit...AR Start BTB...

I shouldn't have been so literal as the launch cause I definitely was thinking about post past and not all the pre-patch issues. Halo 3 was still fine and BTB wasn't much of a problem for me. The launches though do take additional factors that had set the standard for the future as well, compared to games that had awful and broken features.

Did you just miss the part asking about your 4v4 experience?

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you like Halo 5, you don't actually like Halo. You just like whatever the newest "thing" is.

Bro, like shut the fuck up. This argument is crap.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

You should poll this again after six months and see if there's any big shift in opinion.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@TiberiusAudley

In what ways has this been the most enjoyable 4v4? I know opinions greatly vary but where does Halo 5 succeed here compared to previous games?

Where H5 succeeds:

• Skillful core gameplay.  
    • Here, it's on par with HCE and H2 in terms of the game actually being difficult to play optimally.  Unlike H3, Reach, and H4, the core guns actually shoot straight.  Unlike H2, they shoot straight out of the box.  Unlike Reach/H4/H2A, the aim assist doesn't feel overwhelmingly strong, so shooting actually takes some degree of skill and steady hands.
  • Balanced weapon sandbox.
    • Here, it's on par with HCE and superior to every other title.  In some ways, it may even surpass HCE in the depth of meta / freedom of expression granted by the existence of the BR, DMR, and Light Rifle, as well as the much larger power weapon sandbox.  Players have much more room for individual identity compared to HCE, and none of the weapons feel like they are overly dominant.  Every weapon has a niche.  (Suppressor is the only weapon I don't see getting used, and I feel that's more people not really taking the time to learn it.)
  • Map design conducive to 4v4 gameplay.
    • I feel H3 is the only game that supercedes H5 in 4v4 map design.  HCE maps were better for 2v2, and although there was a "deep meta" in its 4v4, the maps and gameplay weren't actually that great in 4s.  H2 was sufficient but underwhelming beyond Sanctuary/Midship (Lockout and Warlock are overrated as fuck).
    • In H5, we've got successful Asymms (The Rig, Eden, Plaza) as well as traditional symmetrics (Empire, Truth, Fathom, Coliseum). 
  • Map verticality
    • Inferior only to HCE in this regard -- and this success is mostly thanks to the existence of Clamber.  Clamber allows us to have a non-floaty default jump height, similar to what Reach gave us, while also giving us the ability to go from a low level to a higher level with the jump thanks to the ability to pull ourselves up.
    • Still some room for improvement here.  But, maps are TALLER than they have been recently.
  • Fast power weapon timers
    • Inferior only to HCE here.  This means more movement in general.  No 3 minute stalemates while waiting on a second set of rockets to spawn.
  • Mobility mechanics encourage peeking in stalemates.
    • Because of Thruster and Stabilizers, you can afford to take bigger risks during a stalemate -- whether it's peeking to exchange shots (then thrust back into cover if you start losing) or jumping to get those last few shots as you peek over a ramp, there are more options to try to salvage a stalemate situation.
  • Splinter Grenades
    • These motherfuckers finally give us a weapon accessible in competitive 4s that highlight one of the most overlooked facets of Halo gameplay: Zoning.  They give enormous temporary zone control (or nearly instant burst damage).
    • Frag grenades fill this niche in some occasions (grenade a pathway so someone is forced to stop moving / take another path), but Splinter Grenades HIGHLIGHT it.  This means players will be forced to learn the concept, whether consciously or not, and I think that's a beautiful thing.

Where it doesn't succeed:

• Gametypes
    • Lack of King of the Hill upsets me greatly.
    • I don't care Oddball/Assault are missing.
    • Strongholds is great, I'm glad it's here.  But it isn't enough.
    • Breakout is cool, but it's awkward competitively to flipflop in damage/health settings so much.
  • Spawns
    • I've got mixed feelings about H5's spawn system from what I've observed so far.  On the plus side, allied influence is way up from H4/H2A.  But, for example in Strongholds, the territories themselves don't seem to carry any weight on spawns, so pushing across the 50 simply flips the map.  If you take their stronghold, they spawn in yours.
    • I still have much to discover on spawns, though.
  • No Forge at launch. :(
  • Upvote (+1) 3

It all depends on how they manage playlists and content releases. Right now, I don't see myself having much fun in the game unless there are 3+ friends already online and playing with me. It's a real shame, but I don't want to chance getting matched against party of 4s while searching solo.

You can't even get matched against a party. The inly way you do is if you're searching with one

It all depends on how they manage playlists and content releases. Right now, I don't see myself having much fun in the game unless there are 3+ friends already online and playing with me. It's a real shame, but I don't want to chance getting matched against party of 4s while searching solo.

You can't even get matched against a party. The inly way you do is if you're searching with one

I'd say Halo 5 has the best default multiplayer gameplay of any Halo since CE. 

There are some issues I'd like to see addressed

-the aim thing everyone seems to be experiencing.

-an AR range nerf (even if it's just for arena). A big reason the AR seems so oppressive at times is that even though these maps are bigger than previous halo maps, they are sectioned off to play small, smaller than the AR's effective range. I can understand wanting a longer range for Warzone, but in arena it's pushing too much. 

-BR seems far too easy to use, especially when compared to the pistol. Lower the bullet mag a bit and I think that's all it needs

-If someone gets DC'd or rage quits, they should still be locked into the game they were in and only be able to rejoin that game until it ends.

-Need more maps in each rotation. Why isn't empire in the slayer playlist? 

All in all I am really enjoying the game, staying up way too late to get an extra hour and a half each night of gameplay in. I think when all the content is dropped, and we get a couple patches in, this will be even better. We will have Forge for people to create a ton of maps, if they allow the CE magnum in customs then the "Halo purists or die" people could also play Halo the way they want to, BTB is being added, and more armor, skins, and emblems are getting added for the achievement and unlock hunters. Add to that Bravo is being very active with sending critiques, requests, and criticism up the chain (he says he is, and I can only take him at his word obviously, I'm not there to know for sure), and we already have a pretty decent list of items they are working on for the first patch.

But how long will they continue to actively support the game? No clue.

I would hope that some attention is being paid to halo 5, because the effort with MCC has been mediocre at best.  The community basically did 343's job by creating halobugs.com and outlining every last issue that's been uncovered.  Even after the last patch, MCC is still not functioning the way it should and less than 20% of the issues have been fixed.

Where H5 succeeds:

• Skillful core gameplay.
    • Here, it's on par with HCE and H2 in terms of the game actually being difficult to play optimally.  Unlike H3, Reach, and H4, the core guns actually shoot straight.  Unlike H2, they shoot straight out of the box.  Unlike Reach/H4/H2A, the aim assist doesn't feel overwhelmingly strong, so shooting actually takes some degree of skill and steady hands.

I agree in a sense. They're different types of difficulties between comparing like Halo CE and Halo 5, but I'll admit this is one of the more skilled games in the series. Aim assist is fine, bullet magnetism should be turned down a tad, and I would cream my pants if they let me mess with the aim acceleration. I went back to quake arena arcade last night and couldn't aim for shit because that game lets you play on high sens with no/low aim acceleration.

• Balanced weapon sandbox.
    • Here, it's on par with HCE and superior to every other title.  In some ways, it may even surpass HCE in the depth of meta / freedom of expression granted by the existence of the BR, DMR, and Light Rifle, as well as the much larger power weapon sandbox.  Players have much more room for individual identity compared to HCE, and none of the weapons feel like they are overly dominant.  Every weapon has a niche.  (Suppressor is the only weapon I don't see getting used, and I feel that's more people not really taking the time to learn it.)

I saw a post Lemon made about balance and how the rifles are balanced but offer little niche differences. I mean you could say the light rifle and DMR's niche is their longer range, but I somewhat dislike when there are too many weapons that play a redundant role, like Halo 4. So Halo 5 is a step in the right direction, and the sandbox is balanced well enough to make all weapons feasible, but not in a way that gives them all unique placings in Halo 5. I'd say its the best since CE for sure.

• Map design conducive to 4v4 gameplay.
    • I feel H3 is the only game that supercedes H5 in 4v4 map design.  HCE maps were better for 2v2, and although there was a "deep meta" in its 4v4, the maps and gameplay weren't actually that great in 4s.  H2 was sufficient but underwhelming beyond Sanctuary/Midship (Lockout and Warlock are overrated as fuck).
    • In H5, we've got successful Asymms (The Rig, Eden, Plaza) as well as traditional symmetrics (Empire, Truth, Fathom, Coliseum). 

This will probably have a bunch of different opinions in terms of maps. I guess in my opinion I'm not too fond of the maps as a whole. Some I like some I can't stand, but I understand these maps are made with the abilities in mind. As someone who still really prefers classic Halo, I think it's hard for me to tell objectively what is a good map in a game like Halo 5. I think both Halo 2 and 3 had better 4v4 maps, maybe not halo 2 out of the box though.

• Map verticality
    • Inferior only to HCE in this regard -- and this success is mostly thanks to the existence of Clamber.  Clamber allows us to have a non-floaty default jump height, similar to what Reach gave us, while also giving us the ability to go from a low level to a higher level with the jump thanks to the ability to pull ourselves up.
    • Still some room for improvement here.  But, maps are TALLER than they have been recently.

Agreed completely. It's actually really interesting. They found a way to add verticality into their game, but still allow for a majority of the fights to be fought.. horizontally? across the map. Again, traditionally I would like classic halo, so one thing I'm interested in is the removal of ground pound. I understand this wouldn't be ideal for Halo, but many of the vertical fights I've had result in someone ground pounding. It would be interesting to have more vertical fights without that.

• Fast power weapon timers
    • Inferior only to HCE here.  This means more movement in general.  No 3 minute stalemates while waiting on a second set of rockets to spawn.

Agreed. There's one map that has OS and Camo on it and they're both 2 minute timers. It'd be cool to have them on cycles like CE, but I think that would hurt the map flow.

• Mobility mechanics encourage peeking in stalemates.
    • Because of Thruster and Stabilizers, you can afford to take bigger risks during a stalemate -- whether it's peeking to exchange shots (then thrust back into cover if you start losing) or jumping to get those last few shots as you peek over a ramp, there are more options to try to salvage a stalemate situation.

Well you can make those risks but they are safer risks if that makes any sense. I see specifically though your example and have seen people utilize that say like carbon 3.. street.. or w/e. They did a good job nerfing sprint but I still feel most abilities are used defensively minus I guess charge and stabilize. I think that most people enjoy these mechanics overall.

• Splinter Grenades
    • These motherfuckers finally give us a weapon accessible in competitive 4s that highlight one of the most overlooked facets of Halo gameplay: Zoning.  They give enormous temporary zone control (or nearly instant burst damage).
    • Frag grenades fill this niche in some occasions (grenade a pathway so someone is forced to stop moving / take another path), but Splinter Grenades HIGHLIGHT it.  This means players will be forced to learn the concept, whether consciously or not, and I think that's a beautiful thing.

I want a zoning nade, but I'm not sure what the best way to go about it is. I'm not sure if I would rather it cluster and detonate, or if the lingering orbs would do less damage. I've had a few lucky spots with it where I throw it right at a guys feet and they're instantly dead. I think it's better than a pulse grenade, but am still iffy about its blocking capabilities. It's capable of completely shutting down an area, and I'm just debating whether it should strip shields or instant kill. Clip at the bottom.

Where it doesn't succeed:

• Gametypes
    • Lack of King of the Hill upsets me greatly.
    • I don't care Oddball/Assault are missing.
    • Strongholds is great, I'm glad it's here.  But it isn't enough.
    • Breakout is cool, but it's awkward competitively to flipflop in damage/health settings so much.

I want these gametypes too. I was thinking about oddball, and couldn't really think of where I REALLY wanted to play it. I would assume the throwing mechanics are similar to Halo 4. Maybe assault would be better, KoTH is a must.

• Spawns
    • I've got mixed feelings about H5's spawn system from what I've observed so far.  On the plus side, allied influence is way up from H4/H2A.  But, for example in Strongholds, the territories themselves don't seem to carry any weight on spawns, so pushing across the 50 simply flips the map.  If you take their stronghold, they spawn in yours.
    • I still have much to discover on spawns, though.

You're more of an expert in this department. I've noticed what you are talking about with strongholds.

• No Forge at launch. :(

:holmes:

Sweet, I figured you weren't going to answer me cause of my post or something lol. Responses in bold. Here's the clip that I mention in the splinter grenade part.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Teapot%20Yo/video/12530246