Sign in to follow this  
Vetoed

Issues w/ Halo 5 FFA

Completely agree. Got Champ 12 on tuesday but I didn't even think about my win %. Ill have to check it out. 

My biggest complaint is the map selection. I also fucking hate Orion. Why no midship?

The radar in FFA is so fucked up. The spawns are also ridiculously stupid, I get killed by someone who spawns behind me way too much... (Radar could fix this issue, maybe?) 

Another thing about the radar is it doesn't tell you if someone is below or above you, someone on these forums told me that it does, but after playing Halo 5 for enough hours I can definitely say I can't tell. 

Reach had a great radar system, if someone was above or below you, their dot was faded, they should bring that back.

Radar dots are a bit dimmed if someone is on a different elevation. They're bigger and brighter if they're on the same plane as you.

Reach had a great radar system, if someone was above or below you, their dot was faded, they should bring that back.

Agree, Reach had the best radar by far. They would show up as a diamond if they were above and faded circle if below.

• Upvote (+1) 1

^ Did you never play Halo CE, 2, or 3?

Yup, and although I think those games are better than Halo 4 and Reach, I still think Reach and Halo 4 had a better radar system.

Still waiting on BR starts for FFA. Pistol starts for FFA is cancer. I don't care how good the pistol is. It just makes perfect sense for BR starts. Cross mapping with a pistol is god awful. Especially with how fast paced FFA is, and the movement mechanics pistol play for FFA is dumb.

Still waiting on BR starts for FFA. Pistol starts for FFA is cancer. I don't care how good the pistol is. It just makes perfect sense for BR starts. Cross mapping with a pistol is god awful. Especially with how fast paced FFA is, and the movement mechanics pistol play for FFA is dumb.

lol nah man the pistol is soooooo much more skillful man. Granted if it doesn't get a buff and the AR doesn't get a need it'll be a problem. But the BR just isn't fun it's way too easy. I'll never vouch for BR starts in this game.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

lol nah man the pistol is soooooo much more skillful man. Granted if it doesn't get a buff and the AR doesn't get a need it'll be a problem. But the BR just isn't fun it's way too easy. I'll never vouch for BR starts in this game.

It's not whats more skillful. It's what makes more sense. Pistol doesn't need a buff anyways. Play FFA customs with BR starts, and then Pistol starts. You tell me what plays better.

• Downvote (-1) 5

No chance.

First of all, the BR is hilariously easy to use.

Second of all, play some FFA as is and tell me how many times you're taking shots in the back. Then realize that it'll be way more often and way easier with BR starts.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It's not whats more skillful. It's what makes more sense. Pistol doesn't need a buff anyways. Play FFA customs with BR starts, and then Pistol starts. You tell me what plays better.

Pistols play better. Because they are skillful but also strong. Even now it's good, but with a buff they'll be even better.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

No chance.

First of all, the BR is hilariously easy to use.

Second of all, play some FFA as is and tell me how many times you're taking shots in the back. Then realize that it'll be way more often and way easier with BR starts.

There are problems with AR/pistol starts in FFA. I have a feeling people are conveniently forgetting you spawn with an assault rifle that destroys a large part of what pistol starts would offer.

You either spawn inside the range of someone's AR or outside the unscoped pistol range, so you have a worst from both worlds that renders your precious "pistol skill gap" moot. Finishing a long range kill in FFA while you have people constantly spawning on you blasting you with automatics isn't a very common occurence.

If everyone had a BR you would have ranges where you could actually kill people without having to fear a guy AR crouch scoping you to death, and FFA wouldn't be the random cluster fuck it is now.

There are problems with AR/pistol starts in FFA. I have a feeling people are conveniently forgetting you spawn with an assault rifle that destroys a large part of what pistol starts would offer.

You either spawn inside the range of someone's AR or outside the unscoped pistol range, so you have a worst from both worlds that renders your precious "pistol skill gap" moot. Finishing a long range kill in FFA while you have people constantly spawning on you blasting you with automatics isn't a very common occurence.

If everyone had a BR you would have ranges where you could actually kill people without having to fear a guy AR crouch scoping you to death, and FFA wouldn't be the random cluster fuck it is now.

Why not just remove the AR and keep the pistol then.... duh.

I'd actually like to see the radar range increased in FFA. I know this goes against the whole uniform settings thing, but FFA matches are currently incredibly chaotic and random. It's very difficult to make rapid informed decisions about where to move off spawn, relative to FFA in past Halo games.

The current radar has been tuned for team games, it's not adequate for optimal FFA gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Over the past 36 hours I've been able to play about 4 matches of FFA, the Matchmaking times are horrendous, and I have no idea why. My CSR keeps going down because people are passing me, but I can't seem to match them at all...

Over the past 36 hours I've been able to play about 4 matches of FFA, the Matchmaking times are horrendous, and I have no idea why. My CSR keeps going down because people are passing me, but I can't seem to match them at all...

It's like trying to catch a train. If you miss it, you wait for the game to end and get another chance.

You're basically hoping the usual 5-7 people who run FFA are on at any given time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've played maybe 15 FFA games, and have 2 friends who have played about 12 games combined. I have had virtually 0 wait time, as have they. This was between like 3PM-6PM Wednesday, and 3PM-6PM Friday.

I matched Bravo in Champion/high Onyx FFA a few times today. Hopefully he'll be able to provide the playlist team with some good firsthand feedback to improve the experience because right now it's not one I'd recommend for the reasons you highlighted.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've played maybe 15 FFA games, and have 2 friends who have played about 12 games combined. I have had virtually 0 wait time, as have they. This was between like 3PM-6PM Wednesday, and 3PM-6PM Friday.

I don't think 15 games is enough to reach the higher tiers of rankings, the wait time happens around Champion 20+.

It's just weird because I don't think other playlists are like that at the highest level.

I don't think 15 games is enough to reach the higher tiers of rankings, the wait time happens around Champion 20+.

It's just weird because I don't think other playlists are like that at the highest level.

Yes and no.

I've played against Champ 9 in Team Slayer 4 or 5 times now when my friends and I are like, Onyx 1595. However many others in champ 1-20 have stated no luck in finding games unless others within that pool are searching.

So my guess is...343?

Side note if I may-how have you not gone insane/broken everything in your house playing this FFA? Not trying to beat a dead horse but between the maps and spawns I felt really bad after playing 10 games. Also, does anyone get placed below Onyx? Like is Silver a thing in FFA?

Side note if I may-how have you not gone insane/broken everything in your house playing this FFA? Not trying to beat a dead horse but between the maps and spawns I felt really bad after playing 10 games. Also, does anyone get placed below Onyx? Like is Silver a thing in FFA?

I'm used to being frustrated after years of Halo 3 spent getting teamed on in FFA objective by awful kids in party chat, hit offline, or screwed over by modders with auto aim/bottomless magazine. Back then it was a lot more stressful because I had an on-going goal of getting 2000 wins without losing the 50, and I'm sure it came VERY close a few times because of stuff like that. After a while, it just got to the point where losing to factors I have no control over became part of the routine, so I decided to just win more in fair matches to make up for it. Plus, I know keeping composure is key because once your mental game is off, there's no chance of bringing it back. You start making bad decisions and it gets even worse.

You just gotta remind yourself that bringing a game back is never impossible until the game's over. If you're getting screwed over, it's very possible for the dude in 1st place with 24 kills to go through the same stuff at some random point while you spawn on a power item and go on a last second killing frenzy or some crap. You never know.

The main thing that frustrates me is when I stream and people might get the wrong idea about how much work I put into learning and mastering the game... but so far most people understand what's going on so it helps cope a little.

To answer the other question, I've seen people placed in bronze through deranking on purpose, then matching some other bronze people... but most people seem to place in onyx for FFA.

EDIT:

Bravo responded to someone with this on Twitter a few days ago.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You just gotta remind yourself that bringing a game back is never impossible until the game's over. If you're getting screwed over, it's very possible for the dude in 1st place with 24 kills to go through the same stuff at some random point while you spawn on a power item and go on a last second killing frenzy or some crap. You never know.

This and having patience are the things that have helped me in FFA more than anything.

You're in this whirlwind of crazy spawns and random nades everywhere, you can't expect to be 100% in control of everything. Control what you can, laugh at your mistakes, enjoy the ride.

Looking forward to the tweaks. Better maps will help this playlist as well. Get Orion out of here, maybe replace it with Truth?

Okay so for the people who attended IG Daytona this weekend. Can you now agree that BR starts for FFA makes sense :)? I mean I talked with the people there and they agree with me it feels better, and Hoaxer tweeted out:

Leave Pistol starts in Team Arena, and whatever, but BR starts in FFA.

Okay so for the people who attended IG Daytona this weekend. Can you now agree that BR starts for FFA makes sense :)? I mean I talked with the people there and they agree with me it feels better, and Hoaxer tweeted out:

Leave Pistol starts in Team Arena, and whatever, but BR starts in FFA.

I'd prefer it to the AR fests we have at the moment.

I also like the idea of bringing back the death cam. Shorter respawn time as well.

Radar needs to stay and have its range increased though.