Sign in to follow this  
Vetoed

Issues w/ Halo 5 FFA

I agree with everything here, especially reducing the player count from 8 to 6. Another idea is to increase the number of kills to win; this can help to even out the randomness of the spawns, so that in the end the better player wins--the more kills to win, the more consistent the placings will be. 50 kills might take too long in matchmaking, especially at low skill levels, but 30 is realistic, I think.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree with everything here, especially reducing the player count from 8 to 6. Another idea is to increase the number of kills to win; this can help to even out the randomness of the spawns, so that in the end the better player wins--the more kills to win, the more consistent the placings will be. 50 kills might take too long in matchmaking, especially at low skill levels, but 30 is realistic, I think.

That's an interesting idea. A while ago I also suggested an "endurance" mode, based on previous MLG settings, where instead of a score limit, the match is time-based. 10 minutes might get a bit tedious, but perhaps 5 to 7 could be decent.

Regardless, I think 30 kills over 25 could be a welcome change. But it does depend if we keep 8 players over 6. 6-man FFA to 30 could get a bit tedious.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I was thinking the same thing. Currently at I think ~33% win rate w/ champ rank. I mean to put it simply, like you said, it's just a bad service record showing which in itself isn't bad.

As far as the ranking system itself goes, I've been getting great matches. But I was thinking as I was playing through my matches, what stood out to me in H5 FFA as opposed to Reach/3/2 was how many times I'd start taking shots in the back from somewhere that I'd just checked 2-3 seconds prior.

Second of all, for an FFA playlist, I think the radar range needs to be increased. There's been so many times where I'm shot in the back by an AR to the point of no return despite them not even showing on radar. This one I guess is debatable, and depends on whether you want a nerfed AR or a buffed radar, but so much of FFA at the moment seems to be hoping you catch someone's back, even at what seems to be pretty short ranges.

Some of these maps just aren't meant for FFA. Or anything. I think it's Orion that I want to talk about, with the damage boost that you have to thrust onto. Getting a spawn under cave area pretty much fucks you until your next death.

edit: well i think you covered everything I had to say

I support this thread. I notice they also don't let you change your perspective to other players 3rd person when you die. Instead you're locked onto your body. I wish they'd switch that back too.

I support this thread. I notice they also don't let you change your perspective to other players 3rd person when you die. Instead you're locked onto your body. I wish they'd switch that back too.

I understand the thought process behind not letting people change perspective. While it does help a lot to be able to switch up, and I've grown used to counting on it a lot, I don't mind too much the fact that it's gone.

I think this one's subjective.

But thanks for the support regardless.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think max players should be 6.

I prefer 8, but the movement mechanics in Halo 5 make the engagements far too frequent.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Should make it a timed gametype instead of kills to win.

6 players 12 minutes most kills win

Top 3 advance essentially, with top player getting a point, second with .5, and third with .333 towards their rank up, anything below is a loss.

My only issue was radar range, radar is essential in FFA along with movement, I consistently was checking behind me then turning away to be shot in the back from a guy 5 feet away.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Agree with all of this, I made it to 190s in champion earlier today and the spawns are absolutely awful. My service record looks terrible as well, I'm just glad that you can see individual playlist stats in a service record.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just throwing out ideas for the spawn system.

If the spawn points and players are in line of sight of each other (360 degrees), then it's registered as occupied.

If the spawn points and players are less than X meters away from each other, then it's registered as occupied.

A progressive RNG to spawn close to weapons, where each time you die there's a X% progress that you spawn in close proximity to weapons and resets when you do.

One second spawn immunity, where the player is translucent while under the effect and can't take damage.

Should make it a timed gametype instead of kills to win.

6 players 12 minutes most kills win

Top 3 advance essentially, with top player getting a point, second with .5, and third with .333 towards their rank up, anything below is a loss.

My only issue was radar range, radar is essential in FFA along with movement, I consistently was checking behind me then turning away to be shot in the back from a guy 5 feet away.

Yeah, the radar range is not helpful at all in FFA. It gives you a false sense of security, when in fact, by the time you see on someone on it you hadn't previously spotted, you're most likely dead. 

I agree with the rest for the most part. If it was a time limit gametype though, I don't think it should be above 10 minutes. 12 would be incredibly long and tedious. Even 10 can get long over repeated matches.

One second spawn immunity, where the player is translucent while under the effect and can't take damage.

Switching AR/Magnum starts to Magnum/AR starts could produce a similar effect while also being less frustrating. It's also much more feasible to implement, and who knows, maybe it would decrease the overall usage of the AR.

Spawn protection is dumb. No competitive game should have it. It works BOTH ways. If someone spawns and shoots you and they're invincible that's lame.

If you spawn into shots that's just the nature of FFA. It should be avoided if possible, but I don't think LOS stuff should be implemented.

I think all that's needed is to decrease the chance of spawning into an area that is occupied, however don't make it the FURTHEST spawn from the action. just make it random.

Also, if FFA is dropped to 6 players the spawn time can be decreased to 5 seconds.

I agree, FFA in this game is so annoying lol. Got to Onyx and then had to stop playing because it was frustrating lmao. I swear whenever I kill somebody there is always another dude right around the corner to clean me up xD

Really hope that they fix this soon because FFAs are my favorite thing to play in Halo by far. Rumble pit and Lone Wolves were my shit in Halo 3.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does everyone get Onyx in FFA after placement matches?  I have yet to see anyone in FFA below Onyx, it even put me there and I didn't win a single one and only finished top 3 in like 3 out of 10 games.

Does everyone get Onyx in FFA after placement matches?  I have yet to see anyone in FFA below Onyx, it even put me there and I didn't win a single one and only finished top 3 in like 3 out of 10 games.

I think it all depends on Kills + Assists + Top 3 to determine ranking in FFA. Not sure though. I also got placed in Onyx.

Here was something I was talking about in the Halo 5 discussion thread I think should be known:

Alright Pistol starts on the FFA playlist is literally the most stupidest thing ever. It just makes more sense in my head 2 have BR starts for FFA at least. Cross mapping with a pistol trying to be a janitor is horrid. Most maps I've seen so far only have like 2-3 BRs. Like it's the BIGGEST power weapon to have on FFA when you can dominate anyone cross map, and steal kills 2 further your lead greatly. I know it wasn't like this in past halos with BR starts every match but you have to remember Thrust, and Sprint is a major part of this game.

Agreed, FFA is a cluster.

Decreasing from 8 to 6 should help the spawns and slow it down a little.  I'd like to test it with radar at 30m as well.  With how fast movement is 18m is almost useless.

They indeed need to fix the spawns. The biggest problem with this gametype... Good lord I'm sick of spawning directly in front of people like its my job.

Weapons on grounds should decay after 20 seconds and spawn as soon as they decay, except for true power weapons (e.g. Hydra, Sniper, Scatter, etc.).

I like the part where I start the game 5 feet away from Rockets or Overshield. Or when I spawn outside with no cover for miles, just gorgeous views. But the best part is when I perfect 5 shot a guy, there is always someone 3 feet behind me to see my skillz.

But for serious, the op is spot on.

I believe the ranking placements are a bit off. I got place in Platinium even after winning a few. Doesnt matter just ranked up like through all 7 ranks and now am Diamond, gonna have to do it again to hit onyx. FFA needs less people and better spawns. Tired of chasing kills to get just get shot in the back