zZunair

Halo 5: Guardians - Meta/Strategy Discussion

Can someone check if the Light Rifle's fast-3-shot from Halo 4 still works? It's a zoomed shot, a normal shot, and another normal shot, but to the head.

If it does, then its TTK is 0.9 seconds. Otherwise, a zoomed 3-shot is a 1.0 second kill, while a normal 4-shot is a 1.2 second kill.

The actual firing cooldowns for the un-zoomed and the zoomed shots are 0.4 and 0.5 seconds respectively.

I think I've done this before. If nobody else has double checked it by the time I get off work I'll have another look myself and confirm it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Auto-stabilize. Good or nah?

I'm playing with it off, floating in mid-air sounded like a good way to get killed over and over.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm playing with it off, floating in mid-air sounded like a good way to get killed over and over.

In breakout or swat that's how it is for sure, but if you use the right spots and time it right you and expose yourself minimally (i.e trying to get as close to possible to head-gltiching), there is no way someone is going to kill with you without a power weapon. You can use it to get some really tricky angles on the other team which is why I play with it enabled.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Out of rep to give atm. The only thing wrong is I spell 'Mythik' with a 'k'.  ;) Otherwise great video.  :goat:

Your name has been fixed.

And yes, I shall go down in history as the man who took three other people's clips and put them together with a free video editor.  :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 1

In breakout or swat that's how it is for sure, but if you use the right spots and time it right you and expose yourself minimally (i.e trying to get as close to possible to head-gltiching), there is no way someone is going to kill with you without a power weapon. You can use it to get some really tricky angles on the other team which is why I play with it enabled.

Yeah definitely worth some experimentation. You can still activate the stabilizers with the setting turned off, using the sprint button while aiming down sights. I'm running bumper jumper, so I've been practicing the Jump + Right Stick click + A combo to use them. Still don't have it down at a practical level. 

Can anyone breakdown how radar works.  What I mean is answer to questions like: What causes you to show up on radar?  What takes you off radar?  What do brightness of dots mean? anything else.  Thanks.

Can anyone breakdown how radar works.  What I mean is answer to questions like: What causes you to show up on radar?  What takes you off radar?  What do brightness of dots mean? anything else.  Thanks.

Dim dots mean players are on a different elevation. Not sure if there is a way to distinguish above or below.

Otherwise it seems to be the same as past games, where whether you appear is tied to movement speed. So you can crouch walk, or just move below "full stick tilt" speed to stay off radar. You can see if you are visible on other players radar by looking whether the dot in the center lights up.

I had no idea that I could do it manually. That explains a lot because I don't want to float in the air every time I scope in. Only sometimes.

Exactly, I would rather learn to activate it manually and have the extra control than have it forced and lose the ability to aim in mid-air without floating.

Exactly, I would rather learn to activate it manually and have the extra control than have it forced and lose the ability to aim in mid-air without floating.

My biggest issue with activating it manually is Bumper Jumper's layout. To stabilize manually, I'd have to hit LB - A - Right Stick, making me unable to aim for a split second (which is why I play Bumper Jumper in the first place). In a perfect world, I'd have some kind of Scuf or Elite controller and have the stabilizer/sprint, but for now, I'm erring on the side of efficiency.

Edit to save double-posting:

Someone dropped a bunch of maps with callouts in r/CompetitiveHalo. Have a look-see.

• Upvote (+1) 3

My biggest issue with activating it manually is Bumper Jumper's layout. To stabilize manually, I'd have to hit LB - A - Right Stick, making me unable to aim for a split second (which is why I play Bumper Jumper in the first place). In a perfect world, I'd have some kind of Scuf or Elite controller and have the stabilizer/sprint, but for now, I'm erring on the side of efficiency.

Edit to save double-posting:

Someone dropped a bunch of maps with callouts in r/CompetitiveHalo. Have a look-see.

I also play on Bumper Jumper and tried manual stabilizers at first. It pretty much eliminated the ability's existence with a default controller, so I turned auto back on. It's so important for them to kick in immediately at the height of your jump to be of any real use.

I've noticed I struggle with positioning when facing better players. What's the best way to know when/where to position yourself? As a rule of thumb, I try to stay near teammates. However I always feel like I'm in the wrong place, either not able to help my teammates or I simply get 2v1 rushed constantly.

What are some ways I can learn to position better? I've having a hard time recognizing my mistakes since I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing wrong. Currently sitting at Diamond 3 on Team Arena.

Reading some of the stuff about positions to control on this thread has helped, but I feel like I need more info.

Any advice?

Personally my general rule of thumb is LoS and power positions. whatever isn't covered I cover instead. This game has a lot of unfinished kills in my exp so it'd be a good idea to cover areas that your teammates can't see so you can finish any easy kills off.

Also, your team needs to have a solid idea of what to do. If you're getting 2v1 with no back up, that either means you're running in auto pilot or your teammates aren't listening to your callouts (if you do call them while being shot) or they just don't have a LoS from either you being too far out or the position your teammate is in isn't a good idea

. When you play good players who know map control its going to feel like you have no where to go, that should be your goal. For example in Reach, if I had 2 team players in Car on Sanc, 1 dead and none of our teammates are on Street, I'm going to Street. None of my teammates have that side controlled so no LoS from there, enemies can push there so I want to deny it and the last point is I can back up teammates by coming from a more ambiguous position.

LoS and what power positions give you what are important. Also you need to learn how to counter it because you will most likely lose the power position eventually. So what's your counter to it?

You also can't do any of this yourself. Your teammates need to be a collective group figuring out issues on how to fix the problem rather than 4 people accidentally in the room.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I've noticed I struggle with positioning when facing better players. What's the best way to know when/where to position yourself? As a rule of thumb, I try to stay near teammates. However I always feel like I'm in the wrong place, either not able to help my teammates or I simply get 2v1 rushed constantly.

What are some ways I can learn to position better? I've having a hard time recognizing my mistakes since I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing wrong. Currently sitting at Diamond 3 on Team Arena.

Reading some of the stuff about positions to control on this thread has helped, but I feel like I need more info.

Any advice?

I'm far from amazing on this game but I just learn from other players and experiment. I try and hold the main points of the map for example when playing Strongholds on Rig I stand just above basement and cover Nest. Just watch streams and see what other players are doing and don't just copy them but just experiment.

Personally my general rule of thumb is LoS and power positions. whatever isn't covered I cover instead. This game has a lot of unfinished kills in my exp so it'd be a good idea to cover areas that your teammates can't see so you can finish any easy kills off.

Also, your team needs to have a solid idea of what to do. If you're getting 2v1 with no back up, that either means you're running in auto pilot or your teammates aren't listening to your callouts (if you do call them while being shot) or they just don't have a LoS from either you being too far out or the position your teammate is in isn't a good idea

. When you play good players who know map control its going to feel like you have no where to go, that should be your goal. For example in Reach, if I had 2 team players in Car on Sanc, 1 dead and none of our teammates are on Street, I'm going to Street. None of my teammates have that side controlled so no LoS from there, enemies can push there so I want to deny it and the last point is I can back up teammates by coming from a more ambiguous position.

LoS and what power positions give you what are important. Also you need to learn how to counter it because you will most likely lose the power position eventually. So what's your counter to it?

You also can't do any of this yourself. Your teammates need to be a collective group figuring out issues on how to fix the problem rather than 4 people accidentally in the room.

Thanks for the help. Playing solo can feel pretty chaotic. I should invest in finding some people to group with tbh.

Thanks for the help. Playing solo can feel pretty chaotic. I should invest in finding some people to group with tbh.

Welp, you can hit me up at any point between 7 and 11 EST and I'll usually be somewhere near my Xbox if I'm not watching Jeopardy like a proper old person.

Positioning is something that's going to take time, especially as the game evolves. Like said, it comes down to paying attention to your teammates position. People will start gravitating toward certain positions, especially now that power weapon timers are public knowledge. Cut yourself a little slack, the game's only been out for three days!

Speaking of needing players, usually I have a group but if we need some people which happens a good amour you can add me. As long as you don't rage/complain every game I'll play with you

GT- xWicked Swami

Skype- zunair_is_cows

Auto-stabilize. Good or nah?

Neighbor said its needed. I don't use it but I do pre scope then press sprint after jumping. Got a few quick blains and whatnot from doing it that way

Also, Snipe on Blue/Red corner on Coliseum has surprisingly been pretty effective...

Neighbor said its needed. I don't use it but I do pre scope then press sprint after jumping. Got a few quick blains and whatnot from doing it that way

Also, Snipe on Blue/Red corner on Coliseum has surprisingly been pretty effective...

If you're trying to do long jumps (Sprint Jump + Stabilize for distance + Thrust) then using press-to-stabilize is slow and clunky.  Auto Stabilize helps a ton.

If you're trying to do long jumps (Sprint Jump + Stabilize for distance + Thrust) then using press-to-stabilize is slow and clunky.  Auto Stabilize helps a ton.

The only jump I found so far that this is needed is with Flag on Truth. Window you jump then Thrust and use GP to float instead and then clamber. You may be right thta you need it but so far it seems to be GP may be an ok sub. Barely used stabilizer that way though so I can be wrong

The only jump I found so far that this is needed is with Flag on Truth. Window you jump then Thrust and use GP to float instead and then clamber. You may be right thta you need it but so far it seems to be GP may be an ok sub. Barely used stabilizer that way though so I can be wrong

It's needed for jumping from the tower next to Sniper on Rig to the Ogre.