zZunair

Halo 5: Guardians - Meta/Strategy Discussion

There are two known methods to doing instant powerup.

My method, which uses input queing, and the better-known melee cancel method.

For input queing, just thrust towards the powerup and hold your pickup and melee button (RB + B for Recon, for example).

For the melee cancel method, tap the melee button at the same time you pick up the powerup. It's difficult to get the timing, but there's a more reliable version of this technique that uses two melees. To do the double melee method, melee once and then pick up the powerup while you're in the melee animation, then simply spam the melee button and the pickup animation should cancel.

As a note, you can't use the melee method while sprinting, since you'll charge. Likewise, the input que method requires you to thrust, but it can be done from anywhere.

I would suggest learning both. The normal melee cancel is probably useful in more situations, but when you are in one of the situations where the thrust method useful (You just so happen to be thrust-distance away from a power-up and you are one-shot for example) you will be glad you know it.

Cool bum jump from bottom car street to top car street.

3vIWZEM.gif 

I posted this in the wrong thread and it prolly belongs here

• Upvote (+1) 3

The command que variant should still work, I believe.

So we would have to burn thrust to quick pickup fromnow on?

So we would have to burn thrust to quick pickup fromnow on?

The command que variant should still work, I believe.

Edit: Nvm found it

There are two known methods to doing instant powerup.

My method, which uses input queing, and the better-known melee cancel method.

For input queing, just thrust towards the powerup and hold your pickup and melee button (RB + B for Recon, for example).

For the melee cancel method, tap the melee button at the same time you pick up the powerup. It's difficult to get the timing, but there's a more reliable version of this technique that uses two melees. To do the double melee method, melee once and then pick up the powerup while you're in the melee animation, then simply spam the melee button and the pickup animation should cancel.

As a note, you can't use the melee method while sprinting, since you'll charge. Likewise, the input que method requires you to thrust, but it can be done from anywhere.

Okay I missed this post originally. I'm low key livid that the pros pushed for this to be removed.

@@Deez, a Halo game has never had this much individual, mechanical depth.

Highly debatable

Go on. I'm in the mood to see a debate.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Go on. I'm in the mood to see a debate.

Well, it depends on what you mean by "mechanical depth".

As far as aiming goes, I don't think the pistol is harder than aiming in some other games. The powerful ARs and huge amount of powerful autos in general take away a huge amount of mechanical depth in close range to even mid range fights, and the sniper and almost every power weapon are incredibly easy to use and very powerful. Also, having the radar tell you where a person is even when you can't see them makes it easier to line up nades, snipes, etc.

as far as movement, I would argue that the clambering system takes away a lot of skill in moving around the map. Nothing I've seen in the map movement in this game has the depth of map movement in guardian, for example. Lots of good players didn't master the gold one to gold 2 trick jump, and lots of really good players didn't master the s1 to s2 trickjump. These and many more trick jumps could be game changing if utilized well; I still remember a game where tizoxic took the lead in the last few seconds by escaping with the ball on guardian by doing the s1 to s2 trick jump. I will say that a wily player can do a lot of interesting and technically skillful things with some of the mechanics in h5, but I don't think these moves are as mechanically hard to execute as moving around some maps with the traditional jumping system.

None of this is to say that halo 5 doesn't take individual skill; I just don't think it has the most mechanical depth out of any halo

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well, it depends on what you mean by "mechanical depth".

As far as aiming goes, I don't think the pistol is harder than aiming in some other games. The powerful ARs and huge amount of powerful autos in general take away a huge amount of mechanical depth in close range to even mid range fights, and the sniper and almost every power weapon are incredibly easy to use and very powerful. Also, having the radar tell you where a person is even when you can't see them makes it easier to line up nades, snipes, etc.

as far as movement, I would argue that the clambering system takes away a lot of skill in moving around the map. Nothing I've seen in the map movement in this game has the depth of map movement in guardian, for example. Lots of good players didn't master the gold one to gold 2 trick jump, and lots of really good players didn't master the s1 to s2 trickjump. These and many more trick jumps could be game changing if utilized well; I still remember a game where tizoxic took the lead in the last few seconds by escaping with the ball on guardian by doing the s1 to s2 trick jump. I will say that a wily player can do a lot of interesting and technically skillful things with some of the mechanics in h5, but I don't think these moves are as mechanically hard to execute as moving around some maps with the traditional jumping system.

None of this is to say that halo 5 doesn't take individual skill; I just don't think it has the most mechanical depth out of any halo

Well said. I think its a debate between h5 and every halo game besides hce.

Hce blows them all out of the water depth wise. The spawn system alone has more depth than the entirety of all the other halo games. Then add to that weapon nading, complex map rotations, high skill gap weapons, empowered individuals, etc

• Upvote (+1) 2

Can someone explain why the pros pushed to remove insta powerup? That is mind boggling to me. Every time I question the pros' decision making about settings in this game I get an avalanche of down votes but it's like they seem to want lowest common denominator Halo. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Well said. I think its a debate between h5 and every halo game besides hce.

Hce blows them all out of the water depth wise. The spawn system alone has more depth than the entirety of all the other halo games. Then add to that weapon nading, complex map rotations, high skill gap weapons, empowered individuals, etc

Well when he says "mechanical depth" I assume he is referring to things like button glitches in H2, Spring jumping in Reach/4/H2A, and Thrust Cancelling/Bum-jumping/Thrust Launching in H5. These things take a degree of dexterity that wasn't quite as necessary in CE. Yeah you had things like the Zyos jumps, but they didn't effect the game to quite the same degree as the movement mechanics in H5 or the Button Glitches in H2, and the button glitches in H1 were relatively easy when you put them next to quad-shot and relatively shallow when you look at how some people chain the button glitches together in H2.

Basically, if you restricted the number of inputs a player could do in a minute in H5, H2, and CE by the same amount, the H5 player would be handicapped the most, followed by the H2 player, then the CE player (or at least, that's the argument being made).

CE might be better at testing your awareness and your shot. But the other two require fighting-game levels of timing and dexterity.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Can someone explain why the pros pushed to remove insta powerup? That is mind boggling to me. Every time I question the pros' decision making about settings in this game I get an avalanche of down votes but it's like they seem to want lowest common denominator Halo. 

No idea, but maybe it's because it has a history of being broken. Like, literally broken.

Remember the bug where it broke item spawns and crashed servers? Yeah.

When it's not one bug, it's another.

No idea, but maybe it's because it has a history of being broken. Like, literally broken.

@@Infinity

That was patched. The argument now is that with instant OS, you can't burn it, so it becomes a race to who gets it first.

That was patched. The argument now is that with instant OS, you can't burn it, so it becomes a race to who gets it first.

Off spawn I can understand that being a bit of an issue but thereafter that is part of what you need to take account of when setting up for it. Just because burning powerups has always been a thing in the past doesn't mean it should be now. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The Powerup Button Combo had nothing to do with servers breaking. Two separate issues that were discovered at the same time.

So, bringing up ghost jumping again...

It really seems to me that it works much better on some maps than others. For instance, I find it extremely useful on Regret; I usually ghost jump pretty much the whole time on that map. On other maps it tends to be more situational. Do you guys usually ghost jump on every single map, or just certain ones? 

Also, I haven't seen the pros doing this too much yet, why do you think that is?

So, bringing up ghost jumping again...

It really seems to me that it works much better on some maps than others. For instance, I find it extremely useful on Regret; I usually ghost jump pretty much the whole time on that map. On other maps it tends to be more situational. Do you guys usually ghost jump on every single map, or just certain ones?

Also, I haven't seen the pros doing this too much yet, why do you think that is?

Mind clarifying? I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about.

Mind clarifying? I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about.

Hold crouch. Hop around like a rabbit.

Keeps you from appearing on radar.

Slower than sprinting, but about the same speed as normal walking, sometimes faster.

Hold crouch. Hop around like a rabbit.

Keeps you from appearing on radar.

Slower than sprinting, but about the same speed as normal walking, sometimes faster.

Yes and you go even faster down a slope/ramp or after thrust sliding while still hidden from radar.